What's new

Is this an experimental rail gun on Chinese ship

The problem with USA military today, they need to spend a lot of money and take longer time to create it.

The military rivalry between USA and China will be very interesting beyond one or two decades later.

American has a saying " if you can beat them, join them", when US realize that China is not to be push over and they can't win by military mean nor arm race, then they will cooperate with China at equal basis and we then will witness a great peace reign in Asia where both China and US can forge the future together.

:D:enjoy:

EMGUNTEST2.jpg

Congrats to China, it certainly looks "cool", but then you have to ask yourself, "What kind of capability are we getting out of these guns?" How many shots are we getting out of this in a minute? Have we solved the wear and tear of the interior barrel after every shot? How about size, weight, and power issues to turn this into a real operational weapon, not a test bed?

The US has decided to take a different approach. We've decided to take the hypervelocity projectile developed for the railgun, and fire it out of US Naval deck guns and US Army howitzers at Mach 3+ at a range of 40-50mi for missile defense. This capability offers only slightly less performance than a EMR, but I can distribute these HVP's to 1,000 guns in the US inventory, compared to only a handful of railguns at most. So why would I pursue railguns when I get a similar capability out of HVP's and can distribute them to 1,000 guns at a much faster and cheaper rate? Here's a quote from Bob Work:

“We thought railguns were something we were really going to go after,” then-Deputy Defense Secretary Robert Work stated at the Atlantic Council in Washington, D.C. in May 2016. “But it turns out that powder guns firing the same hypervelocity projectiles gets you almost as much as you would get out of the electromagnetic rail gun, but it’s something we can do much faster.”

The potential for rapid fielding across both the Army and Navy proved an alluring prospect for SCO’s mission, one that trumped the railgun’s hype. When asked about the organization’s priorities, SCO spokesman Chris Sherwood confirmed to Task & Purpose that the office is focused on “developing the [HVP] for use in existing powder gun systems to give the Navy and Army near-term, cost-effective long-range fires and missile defense solutions.” Translation: Why invest in an expensive gun if the bullet alone can get the job done?

DOD computer modeling has even shown that HVPs can destroy 95-98 missiles of a 100 missile raid:

The Raid Breaker exercise would demonstrate the capabilities of the Hypervelocity Gun Weapon System program. The DOD wants to conduct an exercise against 100 cruise missiles and ballistic missiles and be able to knock down 95 to 98 of them.

DOD’s modeling shows that “if we can close the fire support with a controlled solution,” the weapon would be able to shoot down most of a 100-missile raid.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/...ize-south-korean-missile-defense-in-2018.html

If HVP potential is fully realized, it will revolutionize US missile defense and at a much faster and cheaper rate than EMR ever could.

@gambit

well at least china didn't wasted monies on B2 bombers, littoral combat ships and zumwalt class destroyers.

neither did they allow an ancient MBT like the m1 abrams/M113 to be in service for such a long time without having a suitable replacement.

I'm quite sure that China might find a way around the problems you have specified or maybe the gun might be miniaturised and the EM capabilities reduced in order for it to be battle functional

You have no clue about the scope of China's EM launching, this is directly from the team's website who develop this railgun:

They are not only buidling this tech for launching shells, the professor talk about use this to launch long range missiles and satelliates as well, in this area China is far ahead of that of the US, actually the cheif designer of this mentioned in Chinese news that he plan to build new class of super-warship that he called is as all-might warship that use EM launched missiles/railguns/laser weapons and is nuclear-powered, and he believe one such super warship can destory a entire taskforce fleet of typical Nato navy.

Considering the professor is the one who gain strong support from Xi Jinping, I think you dont need to wait long to see such super battleship.

Like I said before, just learn to be losers, you cannot compete with a fully awaking China in science/engineering/miliitary techs, you lack both the depth and width of human captials.

Xu-K-fyrcsrw7784847.jpg

yes I do believe a naval destroyer with ability to launch 2 J31 stealth fighters STOVL and cruise missiles plus rail gun would be extremely capable to challenge an American warship(not CBG) but the cost would be insane lol.

definitely better than zumwalt class lol.

china just have it to make it unviable for USA to intervene in the defense of Taiwan.

if USA wont defend Taiwan, the Japanese won't move as well.

Last edited:
American has a saying " if you can beat them, join them", when US realize that China is not to be push over and they can't win by military mean nor arm race, then they will cooperate with China at equal basis and we then will witness a great peace reign in Asia where both China and US can forge the future together.
That is a dangerous fantasy, comrade. They will not swallow their pride until PLA parades in front of Capitol Hill.

No. America will wage war in last desperate attempt to hold on to its empire.

That is a dangerous fantasy, comrade. They will not swallow their pride until PLA parades in front of Capitol Hill.

For now it's a fantasy to expect US to have peaceful cooperation because we don't have much option on the table but when we reach the military parity, we then can offer peace that US can't refuse.

For now it's a fantasy to expect US to have peaceful cooperation because we don't have much option on the table but when we reach the military parity, we then can offer peace that US can't refuse.
The US will strike before that happens. Just wait until the next big US recession. They will be even more aggressive but I'm sure the PLA is already aware of this and making the appropriate preparations for ww3

The US will strike before that happens. Just wait until the next big US recession. They will be even more aggressive but I'm sure the PLA is already aware of this and making the appropriate preparations for ww3
Once war started between major power. It will be the end of the world. Ever since atomic bomb is made. No major power goes into war with each other. Even Stalin and Soviet Union dare not cross the line and goes to war easily.

I am sure US too.

Once war started between major power. It will be the end of the world. Ever since atomic bomb is made. No major power goes into war with each other. Even Stalin and Soviet Union dare not cross the line and goes to war easily.

I am sure US too.
End of world for general population. Elites have nuclear bunkers that can survive.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom