What's new

Is this an experimental rail gun on Chinese ship

Pls read the following with a pinch of salt :azn::lol::D

PS From a guy who claimed to have seen EM gun in action

早前马伟明院士来我院讲坛(1月17号),我院是红山脚下、国防大学隔壁的一家科研院所(相信大家都知道是什么单位了),由于是部队单位,且级别很高(副大军区,改革前是正大军区),马院士讲了很多涉密的内容,并有一些现场实验的视频,其中包括这次刚在网络上爆出的电磁炮,在这我只说一些结论性的东西,应该不算泄密吧,哈哈。下面我就把我还记得的一些回忆一下:

1、关于电磁炮,我记得马院士讲的这炮就是电磁轨道炮,不是什么线圈炮,在马院士播放的视频里,主视角是炮,试验内容是从海上射击岸上目标,实验很成功,马院士说这个实验是全球首家。下一步将于2022年上055的后续舰型,并于2025年形成战斗力,055并不是目标舰,055的后续舰型,既加装了各种电磁武器的055A才是目标舰。

2、关于电磁弹射,马院士播放了,陆上成功弹射歼15和无人机的视频,时间好像是在15年。另马院士在课件上明确的写道2017年9月习主席亲自拍板决策下一艘航母使用电磁弹射。

3、关于电磁阻拦技术,已经攻克,很快就将进行路上实验(这个时间节点我记得不是很清楚了,因为是半个月前的讲座,且他讲了很多电磁武器的实验,我可能会记混,总之这个不是已经实验成功于17年12月,就是马上进行,今年上半年)

4、关于中压直流技术,马上会应用于054B上,今年开工,明年下水,比美帝的中压交流领先8到10年,他相信美帝最终也会走到中压直流的路子上来,当然这一点应该不是秘密了,媒体公开报道过。

5、关于全能舰,这个名字马院士斟酌了很久,早期管它叫做什么全电综合平台(记不清了),后来改成全能舰,现在最新叫法是“超能舰”,且有2个版本一个是2W到3W吨级别的,一个是8W到10W吨级别的,所谓超能舰,就是整合了各种电磁武器的全电平台,8W吨级所携带的武器数量和种类自然是要多于3W吨级的,马院士自己计算,超能舰的作战能力(火力),以3W吨级别为例,相当于美帝的一个大型航母编队,成本却只有其十分之一,未来建造30艘,并在各个大洋的个主要方向保持6艘左右的战略存在,即可完美破解美帝最新的抵消战略。当然这一设想目前还没得到高层和海军的赞同,毕竟是一个具有划时代意义的武器和战略设想,是否可行领导还很慎重,目前海军并未出钱支持超能舰的建设,马院士是拉到了地方船厂的赞助,将于今年开工建设3W吨级的超能舰,并于明年底下水。等实物出来之后,并做一些相关的实验来印证自己的想法,以进一步得到高层的支持。

6、马院士还提到了这些电磁武器在陆军和空军上的运用,这里不再赘述。

7、我记得的就是这么多了,当然马院士讲了很多,他手下的各个团队在电磁武器的各个领域进展都很快,成果丰硕,且他目前已经不再具体主持某一课题和项目,只是把一个方向,具体的攻关都是一些年轻人,这个团队真的是我军发展之福。

以上
Vow, a very bright future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We will be the protector of the human.

Holy Sh!t !!!

Initially I think my forever love is the Russian Sovremennyy-class DDG, later my love switched to Type 054 FFG, then Type 051B and Type 052B, then Type 052C.

Even just few months before, I still believe my forever love is the beauty Type 052D, until I saw the picture of Type 055. I think the love on Type 055 should last for long; but two days back, I saw the picture of Haiyangshan landing ship with the rail gun. I told myself I need to be loyal to this new beauty! And now you told me we could expect a much bigger EM Gun!!! Oh my god! Oh my Chairman Mao!

I have to admire CPC!! Super nice job done by CPC!!
CPC is a very good leader, fundamentally they are comprised of Chinese elite with high IQ and Chinese wisdom.
We are all Chinese, of course we do believe Chinese(CPC) more, why should believe those propaganda from lower IQ group? if we are at the same starting line, we can do much better than anyone.

But of course, we should be humble too, :lol:

No need to guess.
You have already stated that it ranges from "a few MW to 1000MW".
Why would you take the average and not start off from a few MW ?
Most probably 10 to 20MW would suffice.
The US railgun uses 30+ megajoules, so around 10MW.
And how far can the projectile fly? few dozens kilometers?

Either you are mad, or you lack of the common sense of the likely size of a 500MW power pack.

See this monster? It is one of the most powerful marine engine on the world, developed by MAN. I'm not sure about its exact size, but compared to the height of the workers working at the 2nd floor, I guess the height of the engine should be about 15meter. But even such a beast, its rated power is 75,570 kW, or 75MW. To achieve the 500MW that you mention, we need SEVEN units like this.
https://www.corporate.man.eu/en/pre...rd-Breaking-Engine-Enters-Service-252103.html
View attachment 451301

The following is the picture of the ship to mount the railgun. Do you believe the ship has the required internal space to carry seven units of the beast engines that shown above?
View attachment 451302

I believe this is a clear enough comparison. I don't mind if you want to continue to troll on the 500MW package joke.

of course this is expensive to the superpower America. They've spent 3.3% of its GDP on military already. But compared to China, China just spends 1.9% of the GDP on military, not just less than USA, even less than 2.3% of Vietnam. China has sufficient room to enhance the military spending further.
man You don’t power the railgun by diesel generators. The trick is you pump up the condensators full with energy that in turn power the electromagnetic fields.

man You don’t power the railgun by diesel generators. The trick is you pump up the condensators full with energy that in turn power the electromagnetic fields.
Believe whatever you want to believe. The rail gun is useless, short range, and small power. Nothing to worry about. And you can have good sleep.

5、关于全能舰,这个名字马院士斟酌了很久,早期管它叫做什么全电综合平台(记不清了),后来改成全能舰,现在最新叫法是“超能舰”,且有2个版本一个是2W到3W吨级别的,一个是8W到10W吨级别的,所谓超能舰,就是整合了各种电磁武器的全电平台,8W吨级所携带的武器数量和种类自然是要多于3W吨级的,马院士自己计算,超能舰的作战能力(火力),以3W吨级别为例,相当于美帝的一个大型航母编队,成本却只有其十分之一,未来建造30艘,并在各个大洋的个主要方向保持6艘左右的战略存在,即可完美破解美帝最新的抵消战略。当然这一设想目前还没得到高层和海军的赞同,毕竟是一个具有划时代意义的武器和战略设想,是否可行领导还很慎重,目前海军并未出钱支持超能舰的建设,马院士是拉到了地方船厂的赞助,将于今年开工建设3W吨级的超能舰,并于明年底下水。等实物出来之后,并做一些相关的实验来印证自己的想法,以进一步得到高层的支持。
This is very awesome if it come true, strategic weapon with low cost and great power. one 30 kiloton ship can destroy a Vietnam,one 8 kiloton ship can destroy a india, two 8 kiloton ships can wreck "Japan".

Be honest, I don't belive that, Ma must talk big:-), huge big, or my knowledge limit my imagination.

of course this is expensive to the superpower America. They've spent 3.3% of its GDP on military already. But compared to China, China just spends 1.9% of the GDP on military, not just less than USA, even less than 2.3% of Vietnam. China has sufficient room to enhance the military spending further.
For 2017 China spent 1.021 trillion Yuan/$162 billion (current exchange) on its military and 2017 GDP came out to be $13.12 trillion, thus officially China spent 1.2% of GDP on military which is slightly lower than last year. The annual road and rail budget is double the military budget. If China spent in proportion like Vietnam, it would be overwhelming ($300 billion at 2.3% GDP). Economy first policy is still firmly in place, even will all this progress.

The gun consumes lots of energy hence mass and cost of a railgun ship is extremely high. Even superpower America is reluctant to develop such stuff.

You may fall victim of those English media reports. Those writers do not have basic STEM knowledge.
  • Power = Energy output per second
  • 1GW x 0.01 second consumes the same amount of energy as a 1MW generator charging for 10 seconds
I did the calculation to drive a 32MJ railgun, assuming 90% energy loss (or 10% efficiency), you only need to charge the energy storage (of some sort) for less than one second using a 2.5MW power source. The actual firing may take place in 10ms or less with effective power of 2GW or more, but it is a pulse, not continuous. So the railgun is a high power, low energy weapon. The charging can be done with a much smaller non-nuclear powered ship.

Last edited:
You may fall victim of those English media reports. Those writers do not have basic STEM knowledge.
  • 1GW x 0.01 second consumes the same amount of energy as a 1MW generator charging for 10 seconds
I did the calculation to drive a 32MJ railgun, assuming 90% energy loss (or 10% efficiency), you only need to charge the energy storage (of some sort) for less than one second using a 2.5MW power source. The actual firing may take place in 10ms or less with effective power of 2GW or more, but it is a pulse, not continuous. So the railgun is a high power, low energy weapon. The charging can be done with a much smaller non-nuclear powered ship.

36MJ=10 kwH, about $1.00 here.

36MJ=10 kwH, about $1.00 here.
Assuming 10% system efficiency like @kurutoga mentioned it would require about 100 kWh of energy per cycle, which is about 10 L of diesel (1 L = 10 kWh energy) @$1/L one shot is $10 of fuel. Traditional propellants would cost in the order of hundreds of dollars.
Fuel to kWh conversion:
https://deepresource.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/energy-related-conversion-factors/
https://www.convertunits.com/from/kWh/to/gallon+[U.S.]+of+diesel+oil

Traditional shells would be propelled by charge packs or a cartridge.
WNUS_61-62_ags_projectile_pic.jpg

155mm AGS on DDG 1000
The cartridge is about 60% the height of the person (1.75m), which is 1.05m. The diameter of the cartridge is slightly bigger than the shell, estimate it at 180 mm. Volume of the cartridge is 25L. Meaning the conventional artillery uses 2.5X more volume of propellant per shot compared to the rail gun. In addition the removal of cylindrical propelling charges eliminates much of the stacking problems associated with cylinders (empty space between cylinders during stacking), fuel can be stored in more conformal tanks allowing less space per round + fuel.

Rail gun 1 shot: 10L of space used for fuel (@10% system efficiency), $10
Conventional gun 1 shot: 25L of space used for propelling charge.

Last edited:
And how far can the projectile fly? few dozens kilometers?

I read somewhere the US railgun with 33 megajoules managed 100 miles.
I think its insulting that you would assume other members don't know how a railgun works.
Its not invented yesterday.

If thing is so easy, everyone can make a railgun. Before anyone scolds, I am not expert.

You mix one thing up with another. To fire a metal projectile out of a railgun you need two things: a high energy electromagnetic field, that in turn requires extremely high current and a long gun barrel for acceleration. There are many challenges: one, the components of railgun must withstand high temperature and high electric current. Now a railgun could probably fire two shots before it collapses. Two, conventional power generators can’t produce high current in an extremely short period of time, e.i. of seconds. You need some sorts of condensators or something. That in turn makes a railgun dangerous for the men who fire the projectiles.

It’s not only power consumption that matters.

If thing is so easy, everyone can make a railgun. Before anyone scolds, I am not expert.

You mix one thing up with another. To fire a metal projectile out of a railgun you need two things: a high energy electromagnetic field, that in turn requires extremely high current and a long gun barrel for acceleration. There are many challenges: one, the components of railgun must withstand high temperature and high electric current. Now a railgun could probably fire two shots before it collapses. Two, conventional power generators can’t produce high current in an extremely short period of time, e.i. of seconds. You need some sorts of condensators or something. That in turn makes a railgun dangerous for the men who fire the projectiles.

It’s not only power consumption that matters.
Now you know why everybody here is so happy and celebrating.
China has pip the US to be the first to trial a Naval railgun, a concept that took decades that is finally taking shape and success is near.
Aren't you happy for China and Asians trump over the West too ?

China has pip the US to be the first to trial a Naval railgun, a concept that took decades that is finally taking shape and success is near.
Because China develops new weapons triumphing over the West should I be happy? Who garantines the Chinese don’t turn the weapons on us? Seriously, the possible deployment of Chinese railguns are one of the last things we are worried. Maybe in 10 years but not now.

Refugees should always celebrate their white masters

Because China develops new weapons triumphing over the West should I be happy? Who garantines the Chinese don’t turn the weapons on us? Seriously, the possible deployment of Chinese railguns are one of the last things we are worried. Maybe in 10 years but not now.
I don't understand your mentality towards the Chinese.
The Chinese had been kind to Vietnam.
I don't hear about massacres, mass rapes against the Vietnamese that is common in other cultures.
The Chinese treat the Vietnamese as their kin, never made slaves of them as is done in the US.
From Korean dramas, we were told how the Chinese bully the Koreans, and I was " is that all the Chinese did to bully the Koreans as told by the Koreans themselves ?".

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom