What's new

Is the Barak 8 SAM a big mistake?

UKBengali

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
This was highlighted by @Ceonwulf in another thread.

I have checked all the other long-range SAMs like Aster 30/SM-3/S-300 and HQ-9, and they have speeds of between Mach 4-6, whereas the Barak 8 is only Mach 2.

Unless India only wants to use the Barak 8 just to defend the carrying ship and maybe other ships very close to it like a carrier, it does not seem like a very good SAM with which to provide area defence to a fleet

Maybe I am missing something but can somebody explain the reasons why the Barak 8 was selected to equip the new Indian destroyers?

This was highlighted by @Ceonwulf in another thread.

I have checked all the other long-range SAMs like Aster 30/SM-3/S-300 and HQ-9, and they have speeds of between Mach 4-6, whereas the Barak 8 is only Mach 2.

Unless India only wants to use the Barak 8 just to defend the carrying ship and maybe other ships very close to it like a carrier, it does not seem like a very good SAM with which to provide area defence to a fleet

Maybe I am missing something but can somebody explain the reasons why the Barak 8 was selected to equip the new Indian destroyers?

Check the meaning of Dual Pulse motor, high sustainable g and good thing is it has Israeli seeker. One more thing India shared its secret BrahMos data for development of this missile.

So, calculate by yourself.

And actually Barak 2 which is land version of Barak 8 going to arm whole AF and IA.

Check the meaning of Dual Pulse motor, high sustainable g and good thing is it has Israeli seeker. One more thing India shared its secret BrahMos data for development of this missile.

So, calculate by yourself.

Dude - Mach 2 is Mach 2. No amount of "dual pulse motor" is going to allow a Mach 2 missiles fired from a Kolkata destroyer from saving another ship at 20km distance from a sea-skimming Mach 3 cruise missile that pops out from over the horizon.

I want to honestly know the reasons for this purchase - not having a dig at the Indians.

@UKBengali Check the threat matrix of India.

India is not threatened by high altitude flying bombers, or need to chase for high mach bogies.

@UKBengali Check the threat matrix of India.

India is not threatened by high altitude flying bombers, or need to chase for high mach bogies.

So the Barak 8 is only designed to defend the Kolkata destroyers and maybe the carrier which will be very close by(<5km)?

If that why it was brought then I am fine with that.

Dude - Mach 2 is Mach 2. No amount of "dual pulse motor" is going to allow a Mach 2 missiles fired from a Kolkata destroyer from saving another ship at 20km distance from a sea-skimming Mach 3 cruise missile that pops out from over the horizon.

I want to honestly know the reasons for this purchase - not having a dig at the Indians.
Thats because its most agile SAM in the world( the most imp factor to intercept a supersonic sea skimming missile).

Mach 2 matters in interception? Yes in tail chase, but not in head on.

The Barak 8 use IIR during launch, and ARH in interception and put IIR in standby,
FYI Barak 8 is designed to put BrahMos in mind.

So the Barak 8 is only designed to defend the Kolkata destroyers and maybe the carrier which will be very close by(<5km)?

If that why it was brought then I am fine with that.
Yes, Barak-8 is not ABM.

And the carriers always run in protection of its own Barak system with 2 P-15/P-15B, 2-3 P-17/P-17A, for ASW 2 Kamotra and 1-2 SSN and maybe Scorpene . Thats enough protection.

Mach 2 matters in interception? Yes in tail chase, but not in head on.

The Barak 8 use IIR during launch, and ARH in interception and put IIR in standby,
FYI Barak 8 is designed to put BrahMos in mind.

Barak 8 will only be able to fire head-on to defend the launching ship and another ship that is very close by(~<5km). Other ships 10s of kms away will get little protection by Barak 8

Barak 8 will only be able to fire head-on to defend the launching ship and another ship that is very close by(~<5km). Other ships 10s of kms away will get little protection by Barak 8
Why a ship inside CBG be at 10 Km away?, there is no sense.

@UKBengali

Has been discussed thoroughly read the comments of TTs

There is no comparison between between reverse engineered HQ9 and Barak 8 which is developed to counter supersonic cruise missiles like onyx

The Great Asian Showdown: India’s Kolkata Class v/s China’s Type-52D Destroyer | Page 12

LOL - The HQ-9 won the Turkish SAM competition back in 2013. It is one of the best long-range SAMs in the world.

The version that China has is even better than the one that Turkey was offered.

Anyway this is off-topic. Let us get back to Barak 8.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom