What's new

Is Social Media a threat!

This has got to be a paid propaganda meme from you.... chinese are bothered and censors are bothered about facebook because it resides in another country!?ROFL.

This would be true if you alternatively allowed free speech and dissent on yours! YOU DON"T! :lol:

And why do you have a firewall?

and are you telling us, as an example, you can search for "Tiananmen square protests" on chinese search engines? NOPE... your govt blocks and censors tons from the chinese people, even on sites that sit in China!

You must think the rest of us are idjits for falling for that line of complete rubbish ...heh

Gee, I don't know, why don't we ask Snowden why we have a firewall and why we don't trust American based website for the safety of our private information? Why don't you tell me why Chinese allow WeChat, Weibo and Renren around when they are pretty the same as facebook? Here is a hint, not everyone that disagree with you is making "paid propaganda ".

Tiananmen square event is a censor topic in China for pretty much the same reason why someone can be arrest in US by FBI when they posted a threat on Obama---what? You think a bunch of naive young student who got used by foreign power to sow dissent and chaos in China is a proud event? If Arabic spring or the recent farce in Ukraine taught people anything that is the Chinese government did the exact right thing to handle the situation back in 89.

Gee, I don't know, why don't we ask Snowden why we have a firewall and why we don't trust American based website for the safety of our private information? Why don't you tell me why Chinese allow WeChat, Weibo and Renren around when they are pretty the same as facebook? Here is a hint, not everyone that disagree with you is making "paid propaganda ".

Tiananmen square event is a censor topic in China for pretty much the same reason why someone can be arrest in US by FBI when they posted a threat on Obama---what? You think a bunch of naive young student who got used by foreign power to sow dissent and chaos in China is a proud event? If Arabic spring or the recent farce in Ukraine taught people anything that is the Chinese government did the exact right thing to handle the situation back in 89.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

first I got to ask , why are you in this country chinese , if you think we are such boogeymen?

you have had a firewall before snowden , your have had firewall for decades! your firewall even stops you own citizens from dissenting!

Chinese are allowed wechat etc..... but they are ALL censored! ... do you comprehend that... YES! you are allowed apps but they are censored! - I thought to guys bragged about IQ and you cannot apparently understand the distinction?

NOW for the hilarious part - " Tiananmen square" is same as threatening the US president? a freaking protest asking for democracy is the same as threatening president directly? :china: :omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

you are freaking funny bro! you have to see our protests in the US asking for overthrow of our president... overthrow btw- does mean threatening a president with his life. Our secret service does not come to you if you threaten to overthrow the govt .... they just come to you if you say you will quote 'harm' the president.

Last edited:
ROFL ROFL ROFL

first I got to ask , why are you in this country chinese , if you think we are such boogeymen?

you have had a firewall before snowden , your have had firewall for decades! your firewall even stops you own citizens from dissenting!

Chinese are allowed wechat etc..... but they are ALL censored! ... do you comprehend that... YES! you are allowed apps but they are censored! - I thought to guys bragged about IQ and you cannot apparently understand the distinction?

NOW for the hilarious part - " Tiananmen square" is same as threatening the US president? a freaking protest asking for democracy is the same as threatening president directly? :china: :omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

you are freaking funny bro! you have to see our protests in the US asking for overthrow of our president... overthrow btw- does mean threatening a president with his life. Our secret service does not come to you if you threaten to overthrow the govt .... they just come to you if you say you will quote 'harm' the president.

Do you honest believe that the rest of world require Snowden to know that an internet control by USA is a threat to other country's security? I take it that you have zero understanding of what Wechat is like or any Chinese social medium is like, but that is to be expected. Many of your posts are made in total ignorance of what China is like and this one is no exception.

And yes, if by "democracy" you mean attempt to bring down a country's legitimate government through subversion and deceit, as well as outright military invasions, as demonstrated by Iraq, Arabic Spring, Ukraine, Brazil, Southeast Asia, South America, Africa and many other countries over and over in the past 50 years, it is way worse than just threatening a leader of the nation. Future generation will have people like you to thank to associate democracy with threat, deceit and invasion.

Last edited:

You have Chinese versions of facebook, twitter, or google for a completely different reason, Chinese members need to get their identity verified by submitting their ID before they can participate in Chinese social media, and we all know what does that mean. And you have Chinese search engine to control the kind of information that should be served to Chinese people.

Social media is a threat to communist type of governments, Russia used to ban exposure to American media, news, even American jeans during its communist days.

You have Chinese versions of facebook, twitter, or google for a completely different reason, Chinese members need to get their identity verified by submitting their ID before they can participate in Chinese social media, and we all know what does that mean. And you have Chinese search engine to control the kind of information that should be served to Chinese people.

Social media is a threat to communist type of governments, Russia used to ban exposure to American media, news, even American jeans during its communist days.

And this is different from US banned USSR news? Heck, barely two decades ago saying power to the people will get you arrested with FBI in US. I fail to see the difference.

Chinese social media require real ID to register for a simple reason----you are expected to act in social media in the same way you act in a real life social environment. What Chinese government did is destroying the anonymous mask that some people like to hide behind. The point to get across is that you are responsible of what you say and you are not exempt from social etiquette just because there is an avatar between you and the other users.

And this is different from US banned USSR news? Heck, barely two decades ago saying power to the people will get you arrested with FBI in US. I fail to see the difference.

Chinese social media require real ID to register for a simple reason----you are expected to act in social media in the same way you act in a real life social environment. What Chinese government did is destroying the anonymous mask that some people like to hide behind. The point to get across is that you are responsible of what you say and you are not exempt from social etiquette just because there is an avatar between you and the other users.

Be open about it, social etiquette means not saying anything against CCP and not speaking about political reforms and democracy. Social media is a strong medium for expressing opinion to a large audience and communicating with them, hence, it is dangerous. :)

Due to Social Media Indians are no longer prisoners to Paid Media and Govt Propaganda.

Be open about it, social etiquette means not saying anything against CCP and not speaking about political reforms and democracy. Social media is a strong medium for expressing opinion to a large audience and communicating with them, hence, it is dangerous. :)

We have plenty of discussion on political reforms and democracy in Chinese forums. In fact, you can't go two steps on a Chinese forum that is even remotely related to political issues without running into a crowd of people discussing it. This is why I called Jayatl's total ignorance on Chinese media. The idea that Chinese people don't discuss politics, democracy, human rights, etc is simply absurd.

What we frowned upon on are false promises and rumor-mongering. For example, some people like to promise that "as long as you are voting, then all things will be better and your rights are assured". This very concept is silly and has, frankly has way more counter-examples then I would care to count. Another example is rumor-mongering. Last year, Beijing had a large rain storm. The biggest one it had seen in the past 60 years. Lots of low laying land are filled with water and many people are trapped. Then there comes a rumormonger who claim "thousands have died because of flood", adding stress to the already worried relatives of people who live and worked in Beijing. The individual that started the rumor was later caught and fined. He admitted that he started the rumor to get attention and clicks on his blog. This kind of gain at the expense of others is precisely why people must be held responsible of what they post.

We have plenty of discussion on political reforms and democracy in Chinese forums. In fact, you can't go two steps on a Chinese forum that is even remotely related to political issues without running into a crowd of people discussing it. This is why I called Jayatl's total ignorance on Chinese media. The idea that Chinese people don't discuss politics, democracy, human rights, etc is simply absurd.

What we frowned upon on are false promises and rumor-mongering. For example, some people like to promise that "as long as you are voting, then all things will be better and your rights are assured". This very concept is silly and has, frankly has way more counter-examples then I would care to count. Another example is rumor-mongering. Last year, Beijing had a large rain storm. The biggest one it had seen in the past 60 years. Lots of low laying land are filled with water and many people are trapped. Then there comes a rumormonger who claim "thousands have died because of flood", adding stress to the already worried relatives of people who live and worked in Beijing. The individual that started the rumor was later caught and fined. He admitted that he started the rumor to get attention and clicks on his blog. This kind of gain at the expense of others is precisely why people must be held responsible of what they post.

I myself have tried to search Tiananmen square massacre in Baidu, I got nothing. :) However, give me some links where Chinese have publicly criticized CCP or talked in favour of democracy in popular Chinese social media platforms. I will translate it and check. :)

Do you honest believe that the rest of world require Snowden to know that an internet control by USA is a threat to other country's security? I take it that you have zero understanding of what Wechat is like or any Chinese social medium is like, but that is to be expected. Many of your posts are made in total ignorance of what China is like and this one is no exception.

And yes, if by "democracy" you mean attempt to bring down a country's legitimate government through subversion and deceit, as well as outright military invasions, as demonstrated by Iraq, Arabic Spring, Ukraine, Brazil, Southeast Asia, South America, Africa and many other countries over and over in the past 50 years, it is way worse than just threatening a leader of the nation. Future generation will have people like you to thank to associate democracy with threat, deceit and invasion.

ROFL what does snowden have to do with the factual assertions that you have no free press and you govt censors social media to control dissenting opinions?

Chinese Web Outage Blamed on Censorship Glitch
http://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com...gwh=0C155A963BF0B70082F060CFA082E192&gwt=regi

China censors hit popular WeChat accounts - CNET

China's censors censor press censorship report • The Register

WeChat group pages silenced by online censors - CNN.com

China's Censors Clamp Down on Booming Internet Video Sector - The Hollywood Reporter

China censors reports about elite’s hidden funds - Reporters Without Borders

Cracking the 'Great Firewall' of China's Web censorship - ABC News

China Tries Even Harder to Censor the Internet - Businessweek

Censorship and deletion practices in Chinese social media | Bamman | First Monday

Last edited:

Well, if this is all you are reading, then there is no wonder you have zero clue what Chinese social media is like. Hey, if you repeat the mantra "Chinese has no political freedom" enough, then you may just believe it.

For example, let's search democratic reform and its keypoints on Baidu
百度一下,你就知道
You get plenty of down to the earth discussion on how democratic reform should go and what are the past example. What kind of preset condition and what it hopes to achieve and how it will achieve. The links also contain articles concerning reforms in Tibet and Taiwan. What has been done in the past and what can be done in the future.

Basically, I called your ignorance because you have a set of believes and has zero interest to verify whether they are true or not and this is not just a language barrier issue, there are many down to the earth English articles that talked about democratic reform in China, how it relates to the culture and social customs, but apparently your reading has been concentrated on a very narrow spectra of articles----ones that also happen to be in total ignorance of what China is actually like.

I myself have tried to search Tiananmen square massacre in Baidu, I got nothing. :) However, give me some links where Chinese have publicly criticized CCP or talked in favour of democracy in popular Chinese social media platforms. I will translate it and check. :)

Sure.
anti-corruption
百度一下,你就知道
Environmental protection
百度一下,你就知道
Democratic reforms
百度一下,你就知道
International relationship (you have to scroll down a bit, since the first few links are universities that offer major in international relationships)
百度一下,你就知道
and many many more. These are just fast web links. If you get into the post forums on Baidu, you will get even more detailed posts.

I have explained before, Tiananmen square, that specific event is not proud event by Chinese students who are naive enough to used by a few opportunists and their foreign backers to sow chaos in China. You don't just leave a piece of trolling fuel like this. The good thing is that as the internet user's average age in China increases, more and more Chinese people are beginning to realize just how close to a steep cliff we have walked and all our achievements today would be impossible if we caved and took the easy way out like the Ukraines, Egyptians and many other countries that fall to the prey of social propaganda.

Last edited:
Well, if this is all you are reading, then there is no wonder you have zero clue what Chinese social media is like. Hey, if you repeat the mantra "Chinese has no political freedom" enough, then you may just believe it.

For example, let's search democratic reform and its keypoints on Baidu
百度一下,你就知道
You get plenty of down to the earth discussion on how democratic reform should go and what are the past example. What kind of preset condition and what it hopes to achieve and how it will achieve. The links also contain articles concerning reforms in Tibet and Taiwan. What has been done in the past and what can be done in the future.

Basically, I called your ignorance because you have a set of believes and has zero interest to verify whether they are true or not and this is not just a language barrier issue, there are many down to the earth English articles that talked about democratic reform in China, how it relates to the culture and social customs, but apparently your reading has been concentrated on a very narrow spectra of articles----ones that also happen to be in total ignorance of what China is actually like.

what do you mean if that is all I am reading... LOL

Government watchdogs have scrubbed from the Web the accounts of several journalists as Beijing wraps up its annual parliament meeting.

I am reading facts ... you are spouting your propaganda. you said your own social apps are not censored and I said Wechat is censored, I showed you many links speaking to it... what part of that you don't get?:lol: what part of you have no free press and you govt censors heavily on what it considered dissenting information...are you contesting?

what do you mean if that is all I am reading... LOL

I am reading facts ... you are spouting your propaganda. you said your own social apps are not censored and I said Wechat is censored, I showed you many links speaking to it... what part of that you don't get?:lol: what part of you have no free press and you govt censors heavily on what it considered dissenting information...are you contesting?

Hey, it is you who claimed that Chinese people has no political freedom. I am simply showing that it is complete wrong.

Hey, it is you who claimed that Chinese people has no political freedom. I am simply showing that it is complete wrong.

no you did not show any of that... political freedom means freedom to dissent and not be censored or thrown in jail for having opposing political views period. Not having the freedom to only been thrown in jail or be censored 20,40 50% of the times.

you live in the US ( oddly enough) and you should know what freedom of the press is... freedom of political dissent is...

no you did not show any of that... political freedom means freedom to dissent and not be censored or thrown in jail for having opposing political views period. Not having the freedom to only been thrown in jail or be censored 20,40 50% of the times.

you live in the US ( oddly enough) and you should know what freedom of the press is... freedom of political dissent is...

It is precisely because I lived in both US and China that I can say for certain that Chinese people enjoy political freedom---in many aspect way more than US citizen because in China, everyone recognize the need for reform and the need for constant change. They are exposed to different types of politic system and recognize that ultimately, it is silly to hold on to a fix system invented by someone else and the best system is the one most suitable for your current situation. In US, people complain about the president, the government and argue endlessly who is responsible of the bottomless debt. Everyone knows that wall street bankers ruined the economy and yet nobody recognize maybe, just maybe, having the candidates of your highest office solely depends on the bankers is a bad idea. The Chinese knew and recognized the need for constant change, US doesn't.

I have said it many times and I will say it again----you know next to zero about what China is like and repeating false mantra a thousand times is not going to make it true.

Back
Top Bottom