What's new

Is MS Dhoni the best captain in the world right now.

Guys plz back ur own opinion with some solid proofs and arguments.

Dhoni=IPL+Test Team-1+ODI Team-2+ number 1 ranked ODI batsman

P.S- I am referring to current form(past 12 months or so)

so where i said that he is not no.1

Sorry to disappoint u but here are the statistics
Sachin Tendulkar-every single batting record to his name(except 400)
Virender sehwag- Wisden cricketer of the year 2009,2010
MS Dhoni- world's number 1 Odi batsman
Zaheer Khan,harbhajan Singh-top 10 bowlers ranking
TEAM INDIA- Number 1 in the world

So next time u post something plz do some research:wave:

yaar...why u r wasting your time...we know pak team and pak players r no.1 in the cricket world......
who recently lost 13 match in a row(in all format). but still their r no.1.

For all people here who think that only Indians think that Dhoni is the best here is something for you

London, April 8 (IANS) The prestigious Wisden Cricketers’ Almanac named Mahendra Singh Dhoni as skipper of a Dream Test XI that includes Indians Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Harbhajan Singh and Zaheer Khan.
Sehwag was chosen as the ‘Leading Cricketer in the World for 2008′.

The explosive opener became the sixth player to be honoured with the award instituted in 2004.

Dhoni has taken India to the threshold of world’s best, leading India to three series wins on trot — against world champions Australia, England and New Zealand. He has won five of his first seven Tests and drawn two.

India’s recent success in Tests was recognised by the prestigious publication with as many as five players making the cut.

Australia’s Ponting and Mitchell Johnson, South African Graeme Smith and Dale Steyn, West Indies’ Shivnaraine Chanderpaul and England’s Kevin Pietersen are the other players of the Dream Test XI selected by former cricketers Ravi Shastri (India), Ian Bishop (West Indies) and Ian Smith (New Zealand).

The three former players picked the best eleven taking into consideration the opposition, performances in 2008, the amount of Test cricket they played in the year, the quality of their opponents, and that indefinable blend of class and form.

“The 146th edition of the Wisden Cricketers’ Almanac has nominated an elite team. The team which has been selected with Test match cricket - the sport’s ultimate format,” according to Wisden editor, Scyld Berry.

Berry said that Mahendra Singh Dhoni was the “unanimous choice as wicketkeeper and No. 7.”

“He won the votes of Bishop and Shastri as captain. Smith, however, gave his vote as captain to Graeme Smith who led South Africa to victory over Australia in Australia sealed the deal,” Berry said.

“Bishop selected him because of his charisma, which seems to permeate the Indian dressing-room and bring the best out of his team. The former West Indian pacer also noted that India lost in Sri Lanka when Dhoni sat out the series.

“Among other reasons, Shastri liked the way he handles the media in a media-frenzied country, and is immensely composed,” Berry was quoted as saying in Cricinfo.

Smith was chosen as the vice-captain of the team.

The opening pair were unanimously agreed to be Sehwag and Smith, the two leading Test run-scorers of 2008.

Gautam Gambhir, Sehwag’s opening partner, who averaged 70 against formidable opposition, was also a strong candidate along with other left-handed openers, Chris Gayle, Simon Katich and Andrew Strauss. But Smith was the pick.

Wisden said that Sehwag has taken opening Test innings to a “new level.”

“Virender Sehwag had to beat off the strongest of challenges by Graeme Smith to become the Leading Cricketer in the World for 2008. He sought, and often achieved, mental domination from the first ball by scoring faster than any other opening batsman has ever done on a regular basis in Test cricket,” it said.

Tendulkar secured the votes of Shastri and Smith to be No. 4. Bishop went for the promise (and all-round fielding) of A.B. de Villiers.

Harbhajan won a three-way tie on the convener’s casting vote. He took 63 wickets in the year and played an important role in two hard-fought series against Australia.

Zaheer pipped Ryan Sidebottom and Ishant Sharma for the new-ball slot.

The left-handed seamer has been architect of India’s recent win at home and abroad. Zaheer can use either a new or old ball to full effect and can also bowl long spells.

The Wisden Test XI:

Virender Sehwag (India), Graeme Smith (South Africa, vice-captain), Ricky Ponting (Australia), Sachin Tendulkar (India), Kevin Pietersen (England), Shivnarine Chanderpaul (West Indies), Mahendra Sing Dhoni (India, captain), Harbhajan Singh (India), Mitchell Johnson (Australia), Dale Steyn (South Africa) and Zaheer Khan (India)
Wisden is Cricket's most prestigious magazine

Indians have some real cricket PMS going on. Like a few weeks ago they were ready to eat Dhoni alive after his dismal performance during the T20 WC.

ICC ODI batsman of the year-2008.

ICC ODI batsman of the year-2009.

Took India to Test Ranking -1

Took India to ODi ranking -2

Made India the Champs of Inaugural T20

Named As the Captain of First ever Dream Test XI in 2009 by Wisden.

Named Captain of ICC World Test and ICC ODI teams for 2009

Well some see it as Talent while envious call it by names like luck , money , blah blah blah etc etc etc.

ICC ODI batsman of the year-2008.

ICC ODI batsman of the year-2009.

Took India to Test Ranking -1

Took India to ODi ranking -2

Made India the Champs of Inaugural T20

Named As the Captain of First ever Dream Test XI in 2009 by Wisden.

Named Captain of ICC World Test and ICC ODI teams for 2009

Well some see it as Talent while envious call it by names like luck , money , blah blah blah etc etc etc.

Indeed he is the best indian captain ever :cheers:
But ponting's team has a habit winning matches and they never give themselves up which is not the case with team India. Thats what still makes him the best captain. He (Ponting) is a fighting captain and won a lot of big tournaments under his captaincy.

I am not doubting dhoni's skills and i have been saying this since many years that he is the best indian captain ever :)

Sorry to disappoint u but here are the statistics

TEAM INDIA- Number 1 in the world

So next time u post something plz do some research:wave:

No need to say sorry as i am not disappointed at your counterfeit statistics, rather it was very much expected :whistle:
ICC ODI Championship

Top Two Teams

Team Matches Points Rating
Australia 59 7711 131
South Africa 34 4041 119

Sachin Tendulkar-every single batting record to his name(except 400)

Really on how many balls did he score the fastest century? on 37 balls? :woot: astonishing isn't it? But the fact is, it was not Sachin :lol: so much for your claim that he holds all batting records, which also brings us to another record of having highest strike rate :lol:

D.G Brad man from Australia scored 6996 runs in 52 matches having an average of 99.94 so there goes the record for the highest average as well

Zaheer Khan,harbhajan Singh-top 10 bowlers ranking
Test yes, but there is not a single indian bowler in list of top ten ODI bowlers

Dhonni might be number one in ODI rankings but average wise he is at Number 5

And Now lets talk about world's most loved and watched format of contemporary Cricket; T20
please remind me of all the indian records not to mention all the big talk about how the IPL was providing a platform for Team India, it's performance in last two T20 worldcups is too obvious to be over shadowed by their performance in Test Cricket.
I did my research, so next time if you feel like misguiding others when your ego is in way i suggest you do your research with open eyes.

U just showed thru ur this how big an idiot u r. go thru this table properly India and SA are both tied at second spot with 119 points:hitwall::hitwall:

By Sachin holding every batting record I meant that he is widely regarded as the best cricketer ever . sorry for the misunderstanding there.

Bradman himself acknowledged Sachin as his only peer.

If u have ever watched true cricket and listened to guys who play it all of them say that Test cricket is the most challenging of all the three formats:wave:

Avg is not the only criteria for judging the best batsman:hitwall: otherwise mohummad yusuf and younis khan will in Pak T-20 team and dravid for india. :rofl:

India were the inaugral T-20 champions . And pakistan(if u think are better) has still not beaten india in a T-20 match.
IPL was launched just for the sake of money not to prepare india for wc .:hitwall: and it has done amazingly well having already become one of the biggest sporting league in the world .currently valued at 4billion US $. Do not hate it just coz Pakistani players were not included ,hopefully they will get to play this time.

Plz open ur eyes and see that this thread is about Dhoni and India/IPL/etc and some research properly before u start posting again

U just showed thru ur this how big an idiot u r. go thru this table properly India and SA are both tied at second spot with 119 points:hitwall::hitwall:

First off there is no need to call names, so you better watch it :chilli:

secondly the reason Southafrica is at number 2 is because they have played 34 match and India has played 57 to share same points, still doesnt prove squat that how India is world number 1 :lol:
By Sachin holding every batting record I meant that he is widely regarded as the best cricketer ever . sorry for the misunderstanding there.
Okay what ever you say now:rofl: , i proved you wrong now excuses are your only option good luck!

Bradman himself acknowledged Sachin as his only peer.
Again what ever! doesnt prove how Sachin can match his average & break his record

India were the inaugral T-20 champions . And pakistan(if u think are better) has still not beaten india in a T-20 match.
IPL was launched just for the sake of money not to prepare india for wc and it has done amazingly well having already become one of the biggest sporting league in the world .currently valued at 4billion US $. Do not hate it just coz Pakistani players were not included ,hopefully they will get to play this time.
Yes Pakistan hasn't defeated India in T20 but its not about Pakistan so please do try to overcome your obession with pakistan but since you are interested Pakistan is way ahead of India in T20 format & i think proving links wont be necessary, the rest is your subjective judgment, this is what your media has to say about IPL role behind India's poor performance in T20 worldcup matches

Avg is not the only criteria for judging the best batsman otherwise mohummad yusuf and younis khan will in Pak T-20 team and dravid for india.
I think it was YOUNUS KHAN who lifted Pakistan's first t20 worldcup in 2009 :rofl: as for both of them not playing was because of some issues related to bans but none of these players have best top 5 current batting averages..... so yeah, a lame point you raised
Plz open ur eyes and see that this thread is about Dhoni and India/IPL/etc and some research properly before u start posting again
My eyes are opened & all my arguments are valid and based on concrete statistics, not like yours yeah brad man said this, i meant this.....:blah: the thread is about "if Dhoni is the best captain in the world?" & its a well established fact that he is not. in order to become one he has to match this

Captaincy record of Ricky Ponting

* Most victories as ODI captain: 122
* Most victories as Test captain: 44
* Highest victory rate as ODI captain in more than 20 matches: 75.74%
* Most Cricket World Cups won as captain: 2, shared with Clive Lloyd
* Most consecutive Test victories won as captain: 16, shared with Steve Waugh
* Undefeated as Captain in World Cups (23 matches)

Last edited by a moderator:
First off there is no need to call names, so you better watch it :chilli:

secondly the reason Southafrica is at number 2 is because they have played 34 match and India has played 57 to share same points, still doesnt prove squat that how India is world number 1 :lol:

Okay what ever you say now:rofl: , i proved you wrong now excuses are your only option good luck!

Again what ever! doesnt prove how Sachin can match his average & break his record

Yes Pakistan hasn't defeated India in T20 but its not about Pakistan so please do try to overcome your obession with pakistan but since you are interested Pakistan is way ahead of India in T20 format & i think proving links wont be necessary, the rest is your subjective judgment, this is what your media has to say about IPL role behind India's poor performance in T20 worldcup matches
YouTube - Indian Cricket Team being Bashed by Media after T20 WC 2010 defeat (You will die laughing)

I think it was YOUNUS KHAN who lifted Pakistan's first t20 worldcup in 2009 :rofl: as for both of them not playing was because of some issues related to bans but none of these players have best top 5 current batting averages..... so yeah, a lame point you raised

My eyes are opened & all my arguments are valid and based on concrete statistics, not like yours yeah brad man said this, i meant this.....:blah: the thread is about "if Dhoni is the best captain in the world?" & its a well established fact that he is not. in order to become one he has to match this

Captaincy record of Ricky Ponting

* Most victories as ODI captain: 122
* Most victories as Test captain: 44
* Highest victory rate as ODI captain in more than 20 matches: 75.74%
* Most Cricket World Cups won as captain: 2, shared with Clive Lloyd
* Most consecutive Test victories won as captain: 16, shared with Steve Waugh
* Undefeated as Captain in World Cups (23 matches)

The prestigious Wisden Cricketers’ Almanac named Mahendra Singh Dhoni as skipper of a Dream Test XI that includes Indians Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Harbhajan Singh and Zaheer Khan.
Sehwag was chosen as the ‘Leading Cricketer in the World for 2008′.

The explosive opener became the sixth player to be honoured with the award instituted in 2004.

Dhoni has taken India to the threshold of world’s best, leading India to three series wins on trot — against world champions Australia, England and New Zealand. He has won five of his first seven Tests and drawn two.

India’s recent success in Tests was recognised by the prestigious publication with as many as five players making the cut.

Australia’s Ponting and Mitchell Johnson, South African Graeme Smith and Dale Steyn, West Indies’ Shivnaraine Chanderpaul and England’s Kevin Pietersen are the other players of the Dream Test XI selected by former cricketers Ravi Shastri (India), Ian Bishop (West Indies) and Ian Smith (New Zealand).

The three former players picked the best eleven taking into consideration the opposition, performances in 2008, the amount of Test cricket they played in the year, the quality of their opponents, and that indefinable blend of class and form.

“The 146th edition of the Wisden Cricketers’ Almanac has nominated an elite team. The team which has been selected with Test match cricket - the sport’s ultimate format,” according to Wisden editor, Scyld Berry.

Berry said that Mahendra Singh Dhoni was the “unanimous choice as wicketkeeper and No. 7.”

“He won the votes of Bishop and Shastri as captain. Smith, however, gave his vote as captain to Graeme Smith who led South Africa to victory over Australia in Australia sealed the deal,” Berry said.

“Bishop selected him because of his charisma, which seems to permeate the Indian dressing-room and bring the best out of his team. The former West Indian pacer also noted that India lost in Sri Lanka when Dhoni sat out the series.

“Among other reasons, Shastri liked the way he handles the media in a media-frenzied country, and is immensely composed,” Berry was quoted as saying in Cricinfo.

Smith was chosen as the vice-captain of the team.

The opening pair were unanimously agreed to be Sehwag and Smith, the two leading Test run-scorers of 2008.

Gautam Gambhir, Sehwag’s opening partner, who averaged 70 against formidable opposition, was also a strong candidate along with other left-handed openers, Chris Gayle, Simon Katich and Andrew Strauss. But Smith was the pick.

Wisden said that Sehwag has taken opening Test innings to a “new level.”

“Virender Sehwag had to beat off the strongest of challenges by Graeme Smith to become the Leading Cricketer in the World for 2008. He sought, and often achieved, mental domination from the first ball by scoring faster than any other opening batsman has ever done on a regular basis in Test cricket,” it said.

Tendulkar secured the votes of Shastri and Smith to be No. 4. Bishop went for the promise (and all-round fielding) of A.B. de Villiers.

Harbhajan won a three-way tie on the convener’s casting vote. He took 63 wickets in the year and played an important role in two hard-fought series against Australia.

Zaheer pipped Ryan Sidebottom and Ishant Sharma for the new-ball slot.

The left-handed seamer has been architect of India’s recent win at home and abroad. Zaheer can use either a new or old ball to full effect and can also bowl long spells.

The Wisden Test XI:

Virender Sehwag (India), Graeme Smith (South Africa, vice-captain), Ricky Ponting (Australia), Sachin Tendulkar (India), Kevin Pietersen (England), Shivnarine Chanderpaul (West Indies), Mahendra Sing Dhoni (India, captain), Harbhajan Singh (India), Mitchell Johnson (Australia), Dale Steyn (South Africa) and Zaheer Khan (India)

Why cant u understand plain logic? the captain of this team is MS Dhoni and not Ricky ponting.:woot:

Are Bhai

Dhoni ki abhi abhi Shaadi huwe hai , is liye in bechare masoom logo ko bohat pyaar aaraha hai dhoni per ... :D

They can only play in IPL ... :D

what a joke of a thread...may be if he wins the world cup for us.

Even if u look at individual level, he was a far better captain two years ago.

what a joke of a thread...may be if he wins the world cup for us.

Even if u look at individual level, he was a far better captain two years ago.

I agree that his form has slumped a bit but then every player goes thru some lows in his career.
BTW-india just won the asia cup under his captaincy:yahoo:

Last edited:
The prestigious Wisden Cricketers’ Almanac named Mahendra Singh Dhoni as skipper of a Dream Test XI

The Wisden Test XI:

Why cant u understand plain logic? the captain of this team is MS Dhoni and not Ricky ponting.:woot:

irrelevant and baseless, Wisden test XI proves every thing right? :rofl: i don't even know how this proves that Dhoni is a better captain against record holder RickyPonting unless a person is too delusional to believe that.
Wisden you mentioned haan? well here is the list of the best players in last 4 years & this list was prepared by Prestigeous Wisden it self :rolleyes:
2006 Matthew Hoggard Simon Jones Brett Lee Kevin Pietersen Ricky Ponting
2007 Paul Collingwood Mahela Jayawardene Mohammed Yousuf Monty Panesar Mark Ramprakash
2008 Ian Bell Shivnarine Chanderpaul Ottis Gibson Zaheer Khan Ryan Sidebottom
2009 James Anderson Dale Benkenstein Mark Boucher Neil McKenzie Claire Taylor
2010 Stuart Broad Michael Clarke Graham Onions Matt Prior Graeme Swann

My eyesight must be getting weak why can't i find Dhoni & Sehwag?:lol:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom