What's new

Is Modi affecting Foreign policy of India ?

Is Modiji interfering in Foreign Policy ?

• No, still Foreign policy is run by the bureaucrats

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Yes, but should leave the job to bureaucrats

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Yes, he should go with it.

Votes: 36 64.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
India
We have hardly seen such shift in foreign policy in India, in the recently held G20 summit, many observed the way Modiji was running after Obama. All the state sponsored & pro-BJP/NDA media called it Modi-Obama friendship, but some unbiased media are very skeptical about the way NDA led by Modi is forming this new foreign policy.

I wanted to open this discussion in "seniors cafe", but I m still young here :cry::cry:. Lets make it healthy thread, and no blind bhakt or lefty dude required here.

@waz @WAJsal @Oscar @Slav Defence Plz look after the thread, thank you in advance.

@PARIKRAMA
@Abingdonboy @anant_s @Taygibay @Picdelamirand-oil @Vergennes @randomradio @Ankit Kumar 002 @MilSpec @Koovie @Echo_419 @Dash @hellfire @ito @SR-91 @AMCA @DesiGuy1403 @ranjeet @hellfire @fsayed @SpArK @AUSTERLITZ @nair @proud_indian @Roybot @jbgt90 @Sergi @Water Car Engineer @dadeechi @kurup @Rain Man @kaykay @Joe Shearer @Tshering22 @Dandpatta @danger007 @Didact @Soumitra @SrNair @TejasMk3@jbgt90 @ranjeet @4GTejasBVR @The_Showstopper @guest11 @egodoc222 @Nilgiri @SarthakGanguly @Omega007 @GURU DUTT @HariPrasad @JanjaWeed @litefire @AMCA @Perpendicular @Spectre@litefire @AMCA @Perpendicular@Ryuzaki @CorporateAffairs @GR!FF!N @migflug @Levina@SvenSvensonov @-xXx- @Perpendicular @proud_indian @Mustang06 @Param @Local_Legend @Ali Zadi @hellfire @egodoc222 @CorporateAffairs @Major Shaitan Singh @jha @SmilingBuddha @#hydra# @danish_vij @[Bregs] @Skillrex @Hephaestus @SR-91 @Techy @litefire @R!CK @zebra7 @dev_moh @DesiGuy1403 @itachii @nik141993 @Marxist @Glorino @noksss @jbgt90 @Skull and Bones @Crixus @others

Too early to comment.

I am more interested or say worried about how he will balance the relationship with Russian with increasing bonhomie with US. If he could strike a balance, it would be greatest of diplomacy, if he can't I would be sad to see a long time mature relationship waning in thin air.

Last edited:
My take always has been to stay away from US when it comes to frontline defence articles like, combat jets, Radar systems, C4I, and comms. Areas where India can immensely benefit from is in infrastructure projects, Consumer goods, Energy, transport logistics and mutual defence projects such as Infantry Combat systems -small arms protective gear, Transport platforms, engines and hydraulic powerpacks, Specialized Machine tools etc.

US can open up a large market for India, to offset it's current requirements that are being met in China, in return if India has to provide limited co-op with US, it won't be a bad deal. With China next door arming Pakistan to the teeth, it is imperative that India maintains a good balance with major powers around the word to meet it's defensive requirements and protection of it's strategic interests. ,

Normally foreign policies are run by bureaucrats. Govt just gives direction & its upto bureaucrats to prioritise. However in Modi's case, India needed impetus due to lack of progress by previous govt. Yes..Modi need to involve till there is stability in the policy..& take it easy in future terms!

I think India should take it easy, it just seems far too much, too quickly.
I agree,in the recent meet at G20 the way Modi reacted towards obama and obama was trying hard not to make Modi feel he was ignored, was very surprising.

Plus Modi's swift moves are definitely making Russia very uncomfortable, I thought Modi will show some closeness with Putin but apart from BRICS, I think there was no separate bilateral meeting held.

Govt makes foreign policy, not the bureaucrats.
Government should never make Foreign policy of the country, there will be question mark on the consistency.

I do not think the quesiton is a right one..... Modi is the prime minister of India and he is practically deciding the foreign policy..... so question of affecting doesnt arise.....

Is there a shift in the policy???? Yes there has been a shift in the policy, right or wrong time would tell..... But one thing is sure he is driving the policies....

I do not think the quesiton is a right one..... Modi is the prime minister of India and he is practically deciding the foreign policy..... so question of affecting doesnt arise.....

Is there a shift in the policy???? Yes there has been a shift in the policy, right or wrong time would tell..... But one thing is sure he is driving the policies....
What shift?

There has been some positive push in foreign policy of present govt which is pro active in diplomacy. The question mark on Russia remains but i hope to see with Russia some very positive movements on rough patches which have come in with too much cozyness to US

I agree,in the recent meet at G20 the way Modi reacted towards obama and obama was trying hard not to make Modi feel he was ignored, was very surprising.

Plus Modi's swift moves are definitely making Russia very uncomfortable, I thought Modi will show some closeness with Putin but apart from BRICS, I think there was no separate bilateral meeting held.

I guess it's case of balance. But having watched footage of the G20 summit, I do agree that the sight of Modi following Obama looked odd. I'm wondering what the other leaders were thinking. You need some reserve here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom