What's new

Is Karachi not a part of Sindh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D G Khan

Multan

Balke darya pe floating capital hona chaiye har jagah badshah salamat rukte rukate phiren
yeh sahi hai phir mulk bhi bhagta phiray ga agar capital jagah jagah badshah salamat kay pichay pichay ho ga

yeh sahi hai phir mulk bhi bhagta phiray ga agar capital jagah jagah badshah salamat kay pichay pichay ho ga

yehi ilaaj reh gaya hai. qaum yajooj majooj maanind harkaat per utar ayi hai

I agree bro. The right solution is to entirely ban and dismantle the parties (and all of their party members) from any political activity, electoral seats, and government seats. We must ban the PPP, PML, MQM, PTI, etc -- every, single, one. Force an entirely new generation of Pakistani politics.

the new generation will be the same, until and unless the establishment's head is chopped off for good and a non colonial military and other systems of governance are enforced.

regards

Won't work. The issue is the seed, the people themselves. You can burn it all to the ground but the next crop will be the exact same. The 'politicians' are only the representatives.

There are about half a dozen posters on this thread speaking against ethnic prejudice by indulging in it and still claiming to be the most qualified individuals in the country. Another half a dozen justifying a terrorist outfit cum political party. This disease will take a century or more of further misery to run its course, if at all.

Oh but we expect you (Karachi) to generate 50% of the country's income tax.

Please don't spread this 'by design' political propaganda around. It was created to invoke exactly the feelings you are currently feeling.

Karachi does not generate 50% of the country's income tax. Pakistan does not generate any real amount of income tax at all. Even if Karachi did actually pay 50% of it, it would amount to peanuts. In 2013 only 768,000 people were registered income tax payers in all of Pakistan.

The correct fact is that Karachi accounts for around half of the total collections of the Federal Board of Revenue. The majority of these collections is custom duty and sales tax paid on imports at the two ports. Roughly 95% of all foreign trade passes through these two ports in Karachi and all the duties and sales tax on that trade is collected at Karachi even when paid by a Gilgiti i.e. it is being paid by the entire country. The guy sitting in Ishkoman pays it at Karachi, directly. Furthermore, the rest is also not all paid by Karachi itself. The entire provinces of Sindh and Balochistan are covered by the five tax units and offices in Karachi, Hyderabad, Sukkur and Quetta.

Here is the actual source with the figures,

https://web.archive.org/web/2010092...k/YearBook/2006-2007/FBRyearbook2006-2007.pdf

Could you please elaborate on this a little?

1 like for an extremely long.

Started in the afternoon, things kept coming up, people kept posting.

Last edited:
A new capital should be created, somewhere broadly in the middle of the current 4 provinces. All provinces should be divided into smaller administrative units.

Balochistan - Makran Coast, and 3-4 more pieces
Sindh - 2 new provinces
Punjab - 2-3 new provinces
GB - new province
AK- new province

This will not only be more administratively efficient, but if people have to be communal, it will create new communal lines, relieving older fault lines.

Karachiites won’t get what they want until they organise themselves and demand very specific changes. I think the best way for major cities like Karachi to move forward is to demand devolution of power.

Karachi is a megacity and such it should have its own devolved assembly, local election, it’s own mayor as a head of that assembly in a sort of presidential system.
Such an assembly could simply take over existing departments and boards/authorities that already exist in Karachi and Sindh level.

This Karachi administration would be in charge of things like a transport authority for all transport in Karachi, roads and streets, metro bus projects, trains/subways/trams, policing, waste disposal (desperately needed), and strategic development/planning.

Further, Karachi should have smaller local administrative units for even better devolved administration. Local councils that oversee housing and planning, education and libraries, and they would be given the power to collect local taxes in order to fund themselves and further development.

Last of all, Karachi is a business hub and a major income generator, it can afford to borrow a little to invest. Even if that’s something not to be exercised immediately, I think it’s worth preparing. Germany has lots of federal states and city states within it that are Länder and smaller federal city states like Berlin. Because they are their own state, they have their own borrowing facilities that work off of sovereign guarantees from the German state. They are able to borrow very cheaply to invest in their city’s infrastructure, and other development. They issue debt which they can easily afford to fund projects that more than pay for the cost of debt. Berlin alone has some EUR60bn in outstanding debt.

If this model is every adopted in Pakistan, it ought to start in Karachi where it is desperately needed, and where it is most likely to succeed. All you need is a better economic outlook, a stronger sovereign willing to back a local government and a trustworthy state and with equally trustworthy local authorities.

I’m only scratching the surface of what’s possible here. But for all this you need to organise yourselves and campaign for your betterment. No-one will do it for you. Karachi can become a much better planned, more liveable city for its citizens, but you’ll have to work hard and fight for it.

Could you please elaborate on t

Would not prefer to discuss it in depth. Removed the text from my post also. apologies.

Karachiites won’t get what they want until they organise themselves and demand very specific changes. I think the best way for major cities like Karachi to move forward is to demand devolution of power.

Karachi is a megacity and such it should have its own devolved assembly, local election, it’s own mayor as a head of that assembly in a sort of presidential system.
Such an assembly could simply take over existing departments and boards/authorities that already exist in Karachi and Sindh level.

This Karachi administration would be in charge of things like a transport authority for all transport in Karachi, roads and streets, metro bus projects, trains/subways/trams, policing, waste disposal (desperately needed), and strategic development/planning.

Further, Karachi should have smaller local administrative units for even better devolved administration. Local councils that oversee housing and planning, education and libraries, and they would be given the power to collect local taxes in order to fund themselves and further development.

Last of all, Karachi is a business hub and a major income generator, it can afford to borrow a little to invest. Even if that’s something not to be exercised immediately, I think it’s worth preparing. Germany has lots of federal states and city states within it that are Länder and smaller federal city states like Berlin. Because they are their own state, they have their own borrowing facilities that work off of sovereign guarantees from the German state. They are able to borrow very cheaply to invest in their city’s infrastructure, and other development. They issue debt which they can easily afford to fund projects that more than pay for the cost of debt. Berlin alone has some EUR60bn in outstanding debt.

If this model is every adopted in Pakistan, it ought to start in Karachi where it is desperately needed, and where it is most likely to succeed. All you need is a better economic outlook, a stronger sovereign willing to back a local government and a trustworthy state and with equally trustworthy local authorities.

I’m only scratching the surface of what’s possible here. But for all this you need to organise yourselves and campaign for your betterment. No-one will do it for you. Karachi can become a much better planned, more liveable city for its citizens, but you’ll have to work hard and fight for it.

You have highlighted valid things.

But sir, an average Karachiite is already busy trying to feed himself, we cant just rush to the roads to protest for our demands.

The well settled people in Karachi upper middle/elite class already have their roots abroad, they can grab an airline ticket and hop in and out of country. The condition of Karachi doesnt matter to them.

Lolz, he was part of MQM. Will be equivalent to revive Altaf Hussain in a new form.

I cant think of any other party, we have tried all of them. no results.

Musharraf / Mustafa Kamal combo worked wonderfully.

I cant think of any other party, we have tried all of them. no results.

Musharraf / Mustafa Kamal combo worked wonderfully.
I dont think that. May 26th also happened during Musharaf and Mustafa Kamal tenure. This is same mentality. Few people doing civil works in front few people collecting bhatta at back.

You have highlighted valid things.

But sir, an average Karachiite is already busy trying to feed himself, we cant just rush to the roads to protest for our demands.

The well settled people in Karachi upper middle/elite class already have their roots abroad, they can grab an airline ticket and hop in and out of country. The condition of Karachi doesnt matter to them.
I agree that it’s not easy, but nobody said it would be easy. It has to be done and people need to demand it. It will take protests, agitation, lobbying representatives, news and social media campaigns etc.

As for the last part, I agree fully! I would further add that DHA and Bahria should not be given planning permission and land that they are given right now. The rich should be forced to deal with the problems in their areas instead of building white picket fences around their homes while the poor and middle class suffer their indifference. Administratively, we should ALL be in the same boat. If there’s flooding, poor waste management, lack of transport infrastructure, load shedding and lack of clean water in cities like Karachi. It should be everyone’s problem and the rich should be incentivised to fix it instead of building their own private enclaves where the problems of ordinary people are out of sight and out of mind. I’m not trying to vilify them, but these things are causing problems.

Mega cities, according to research, are best administered by creating smaller local authorities, not one large authority.

Mega cities, according to research, are best administered by creating smaller local authorities, not one large authority.
Please read my post again, I mentioned one assembly with city wide authorities and local councils and smaller administrative units with respective authorities. Looks like you didn’t read that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom