What's new

is it time for Russia to scrape it Aircraft Carrier?

Ziggy1977

Reaction score
Country
United States
since it fires on the 12 Dec. the true amount of damage is leaking out.

maybe up to $1.5 Billion for repairs.

Russia's Navy abilities to build large ships has been degraded to the point were they can barely maintain larges ships.

but i doubt Putin will allow "The Russian Navy" to not have a CV.

so with that being said. do you think russia will buy a CV from China? the Roles are slowly revering them self. or do you think Putin will try to build a new one?

the shadow of the invasion of Crimea looms large.
it cost Russia the use of two french made Mistral LHDs.

so maybe they try buy or build LHD/LHAs instead of a CV?

regardless they need to do a major upgrade to the ship yards, dry docks capabilities to not only build warships but maintain them.

post your thoughts.

How much a new AC would cost ? 1.5 Billion $ for repairs ? :disagree:

anywhere from
CV/CVN $3b to $13b and about 4-5 years.
LHA/LHD/LPH from $300m to $4b and about 3 to 4 years.

and when your whole Defense budget is $61b

cost of $1.5b and above is eating into that pie.

I guess it really matters how long it would take to get the repairs done compared to buying or building a new one.

Russian shall just buy a 075 LHD from China to replace its ill fated Mistral deal from France maybe for just USD1.5 billion.

But I guess pride of them will always prevent such sensible move.

I think they scrap it and replace it with a number of amphibious assault ships. They ordered 4 Mistrals from France before the Crimea debacle. Kuznetsov was never a true carrier to begin with. It had always been an aircraft carrying cruiser.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priboy-class_amphibious_assault_ship

Carriers these days don't have that much use for a country like Russia which has strategic bombers and aerial refueling planes since they cannot carry either strategic bombers nor aerial refueling planes, severely limiting their strike power and strike range.

Last edited:
My thoughts are that you are from the US and don't know the difference between scrap and scrape.

They are currently working on a replacement dry dock (merging two smaller ones). Once this is complete they will without doubt repair the ship. I don't think that they will build a new carrier for a while so this one will make do for a few decades.

a
and when your whole Defense budget is $61b

cost of $1.5b and above is eating into that pie.
Russia's defense budget in PPP terms is closer to $200bn. Using current direct exchange rate doesnt give an accurate picture. If Russia's current defense budget was really $61bn then RUssia couldnt have the military power it currently does...that would be just too small to compete with US and CHina.

Carriers these days don't have that much use for a country like Russia which has strategic bombers and aerial refueling planes since they cannot carry either strategic bombers nor aerial refueling planes, severely limiting their strike power and strike range.
Why you're so stupid strategic Bombers are not needed to land on Carriers because they have intercontinental ranges and and same goes to Aerial Refueling planes, at least they have regional ranges

Russia's defense budget in PPP terms is closer to $200bn. Using current direct exchange rate doesnt give an accurate picture. If Russia's current defense budget was really $61bn then RUssia couldnt have the military power it currently does...that would be just too small to compete with US and CHina.

1.5b would still be a lot of their budget.

and even with the ppp of like 200b.

that not enough for their military.

their pilots on avg don't fly no where near enough. and this is why the maint on so much of their equipment is lagging. and why they greatly cut back on such programs as the T-14 and SU PAK 57, canceled some warships.

add in corruption and mismanagement.

it capabilities are shrinking. China has over taken it.

1.5b would still be a lot of their budget.

and even with the ppp of like 200b.

that not enough for their military.

their pilots on avg don't fly no where near enough. and this is why the maint on so much of their equipment is lagging. and why they greatly cut back on such programs as the T-14 and SU PAK 57, canceled some warships.

add in corruption and mismanagement.

it capabilities are shrinking. China has over taken it.
I general military terms, i agree China has overtaken Russia, , but tbh, i dont think China rivals Russia in Military weapons designs and creations or warfare doctrine. There is a reason Congress's yearly military review document mentions Russia s the 1st most critical threat to US security. China isnt yet at the threat threshold with US that Russia has. That says alot imo.

Sad Russia cant maintain its sole aircraft carrier. But i also think aircraft carriers are vulnerable to certain weapons and if those weapons are handled by strong military forces, it could be deadly. Also, AC off the coast of a country is very different from far off a coast.

I general military terms, i agree China has overtaken Russia, , but tbh, i dont think China rivals Russia in Military weapons designs and creations or warfare doctrine. There is a reason Congress's yearly military review document mentions Russia s the 1st most critical threat to US security. China isnt yet at the threat threshold with US that Russia has. That says alot imo.

Sad Russia cant maintain its sole aircraft carrier. But i also think aircraft carriers are vulnerable to certain weapons and if those weapons are handled by strong military forces, it could be deadly. Also, AC off the coast of a country is very different from far off a coast.

To defend a carrier you need at least 4 large destroyers. Russia don't have that many destroyers.

Back
Top Bottom