What's new

Is India tearing itself apart?

I don't know what darkstar and Neo are trying to prove.

Of course India is a developing country it should not be compared with developed countries but it can aspire to become one.
Its on the path, It lacks in certain areas like infrastructure, communication and has some social issues and some social issues. But does it mean its not progressing? See the results for yourself.

Compare your own countries with India and realize the difference ? I do not want to put in words.
Yes India is a majority Hindu country compare with majority Muslim countries see the difference do your realize rate of progress ? I do not want to put it in words.
India is a democratic country since Independence now compare this with your countries see the difference ? I do not want to put in words.

I can go on and on , But makes no sense to compare with Developed economy and most of the media you put is from Indian media and is for domestic consumption.

One should think on how their country can progress to the level of developed countries than showing others where they stand, Common look at the status of you country before pointing fingers at others.

So according to this map, 'Bharat Varsha' was actually compromised of Kingdoms and States with their own borders. That certainly doesnt make 'Bharat Varsha' united in any way or form.

I will quote a famous person:

"India is merely a geographical expression. It is no more a single country than the Equator." -Winston Churchill

Let me quote the same famous person about another topic.

Churchill, W - The River War 1899:
"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live. A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property - either as a child, a wife, or a concubine - must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men."

Now tell me, do you still agree with this "great person"? Would you quote him ever again in your life!

Last edited:
There is a saying in hindi ""Bandar Kya jaane adrakh ka swad"..a monkey will never know the taste of ginger...simply coz a monkey has no taste for it !

This pretty much sums up the sentiments of most who have written in on this thread. India most definitely is not a neatly cut & laid out nation with all things in place laid out on shelves for all to see, with well tended flower beds , manicured lawns with smiling citizenry.

You cannot gauge the latent strength of a family or a man till you put him to test / strain.

Economic: What more strain can any nation undergo that what’s happening to the world today ? How much of that is visible in India ? Its neighbors’ are scrambling for loans not to keep themselves afloat but to repay their debts or having to buy / seek rice to feed themselves !! In India,if there any issues in food not reaching the ppl its because of poor distribution systems & not due to shortages. A cursory look at the value of the INR speaks for itself.when compared with those of the region going thru the roof..

This is festive season in India. This year, Eid, Dusherra, Durga Pooja & Diwali .. all have come very close to each other..how much have prices risen or do we see shortages in the markets ?

Fissiparous tendencies : The one common thread that runs all along all Govts of all parties that there has never been any compromise on national security ( external) & on foreign policy. Doesn't this speak for itself ?

To an outsider it may ( at times rightly) that India will fall apart..in a lighter vein, India reminds me of the village of Gaul ( Asterix) whose ppl are forever at loggerheads yet unite at the slightest threat . A case in point was the Nuke deal when the commies felt that had the nation by the neck..& ppl here gloated .

Yes, there is a need to curtail commie / fundamentalist ( both Hindu & Non Hindu) inspired violence before it reaches a head. With elections round the corner in 5 states ( most BJP ruled), we do expect disturbances.

Military. Not much needs to be said here except that there exists in India a tried & tested military apparatus that is apolitical , professional & has delivered whenever called upon. It defeats actual enemies of the nation outside the borders not politicians within thru coups. It is unfortunate that “ some’ neighbors feel threatened by India , some with good reason others with no reason as they don’t count. India meanwhile having realized that Panchsheel etc needs to be backed with more than just noble thoughts, is doing what needs to be done to secure & improve what it has achieved over the same 60 yrs Pakistan had.

Similarly, not that there can ever be one, but is there a comparison of India in 1981 & BD of today ? In ’81 , India had also been indep for as many yrs as BD now is. It had exploded a Nuke device, fought 3 maj & a few minor wars, liberated its territory form European nations by physical force , learnt its lessons and was realizing the necessity to change its approach in life.

I will not dwell on issues like national image, reputation, reliability, existence of national institutions, economic environment etc as it’ll simply get too long.

Most ppl here will / do not realize the import of what’s written above either because they have not “ tasted’ such institutions (.. Bandar kya jane..) or have left their homeland & are enjoying the advantages of such institutions abroad .. being judgmental from a distance.

Well if these are signs of a nation “ tearing itself apart” ... India is tearing itself .

Last edited:
History wasn't written by Pakistanis.

But Pakistan studies was. That is where all this is coming from. Not "History". You don't study history in your schools, you study a concoction called Pakistan studies, which is a mumbo jumbo of various events pieced together and not "History" as it is know to the rest of the mankind.

Clutching at straws? Female infanticide, female featal abortion, caste discrimination, class divide, rural poverty, farmer suicide, religiously motivated violence, forced convesions, erosion of minority's culture and language, separtist movements in a dozen states i.e. naxalites, maoists, khalistanis, seven sisters, kashmir etc, 40 percent of land not under the govt's writ, hundreds of millions malnourished and on the brink of starvation, religious hindutva extremism, sangh parivar violence and xenophobia, dalit subjugation and murder, rape and plunder common, bomb blasts in every major city, civil/police corruption, majority without sanitation forced to defecate in the streets, lingual and state prejudices and hatred, half the country detests hindi and its speakers.....do you want me to find more straws? What happens when all these straws come together, is you get a very big stick to beat ignorant Bhaaratis.

Again more of the same mindset (filled with prejudice). India may have most of these in some measure, but the picture is not as bad as you would like to see through the jaundiced eye.

India is making progress, rapidly, on all fronts. We have Dalit chief ministers who may even become PM, presidents. Affirmative action is quite strong for the backwards and Dalits. Things will take time to correct themselves, but the positive direction is unmistakable.

Except to those who don't want to see.

For the likes of you, Pakistan is lower than India on HDI index. That doesn't give me any pleasure to say, but you can surely take a look at home first if and when you happen to visit your country the next time.

You won't be needing our help for that, you are doing pretty well even without us.

We are and there is a long way to go. The world is taking notice and awaiting India's long awaited arrival on the global stage with bated breath.

Kashmir is not a play thing that you think you have a right over. The people have the right to be governed how they choose. You fear losing kashmir, because you know it will cause a domino effect, and your precias Akhand Bharat Dream will be lost forever.

Read the history of Kashmir. It has always been the Pushtuns who have raped Kashmir for a long time. Even now, the fundamentalists have driven the Kashmiri Pundits from their ancestral homes by threatening them from mosque loudspeakers and asking them to leave their women folk behind.

Not the best expression of the people's will. Anyway 1 billion Indians' will is more important than a few disaffected militants in the valley. They have been and will be taken care.

What did you expect to find in the time of Mahabharat, a pre tectonic plate crashing map? when Africa, Asia, and Australia were one landmass.

Of course the friggin map will be the same. The point is, did you have one ruler uniting this huge area of the subcontinent in the map?

The map you gave me, and the map I will provide below, actually proves my point. There were dozens of kingdoms in bharat, not one. The kingdom whose story is retold in the Mahabharat Epic is the kuru kingdom, and the two main cities of the protaganists are indraprastha and hastinapura...if you look closely at the map, one is on the yamuna, and the other is on the ganga...the land is the doab region, i.e. the land around and between the two rivers. are you seriously telling me, that the mahabharat conflict was about the whole of bhaarat indo pak subcontinent? it obviously wasn't, and you need to check your historical facts again, or buy a dvd of mahabharat.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/EpicIndia.jpg

AS you can see above, during the time of mahabharat, India was far from united. There were literally dozens of completely independant, warring kingdoms. Hardly the dream of magnificence that people like you want to recreate.

Doesn't matter. They all shared the same culture and civilization. The Indian civilization and there was always the realization that they are one nation.

Your civilisation remained intact after 700 years of muslim rule, so how can you make this claim? Your whole existence, and your coming on this forum is a proof agaisnt your claims...If bharat civilisation had been lost under the conquering arabs,turks,afghans then what is bhaarat today, an arabic/turkish country?

Egypt still has the oldest churches and oldes sect on earth, the coptic christians. They are thriving. As are the christians in syria, and palestine the birthplace of jesus. Facts do not bear out your criticism.

Yes, most Persians adopted Islam a couple of centuries after they were conquered, but so did genghiz khan's granchildren after having conquered and massacred muslim kingdoms and destroying the baghdad kalifat. Would you say that the conquering Mongols were also forced to convert? Considering what Bhaaratis consider forced conversions, what with the recent hoopla about christian converts, it seems for you all conversion is forced. You still have not grasped the concept of freedom of choice in religion.

However, you still see that the persians have not lost their culture, and language. In fact, under muslim rule it has indeed blossomed. Until colonial times, Khurasaan and Iran were the tourist destinations of the world.

It was the strength of the Indian civilization that it survived during that dark period. It doesn't prove the so called tolerance of the barbaric invaders. At the maximum they wanted to preserve their empire.

When you talk about he concept of freedom of choice in religion, I can only laugh. Zaziya seems to be a great example of the freedom it seems. Hellfire for all those who don't pray in a particular way is another. Murder for apostasy is obviously about freedom of choice. I can give any number of examples to prove the shallow ground you are on.

One example will suffice here.

When a Muslim army invaded a town, they would not allow anyone to convert to Islam for three days. During these three days they could kill as many men as they liked, pillage their properties, then rape and enslave their women and children. Only after a town had been decimated and all the young women and children that could be sold as slaves were captured would the brutal campaign of Islamization, with its brutal mandate that all must convert or die, began. However the Jews and the Christians were given protection to live provided they pay a penalty tax called Jizyah and enter into dhimmitude. Dhimmi means protected. But the dhimmis had to pay a hefty jizyah for their protection. This Jizyah was the source of livelihood of the Muslims who through it were able to live like parasites off the labor of the dhimmis. The following Hadith, reported by Bukhari, records the source for this practice based on the admonitions of Muhammad toward the dhimmi:

Narrated Juwairiya bin Qudama At-Tamimi:
We said to 'Umar bin Al-Khattab, oh Chief of the believers! Advise us." He said, "I advise you to fulfill Allah's Convention (made with the Dhimmis) as it is the convention of your Prophet and the source of the livelihood of your dependents (i.e. the taxes from the Dhimmis.) " Volume 4, Book 53, Number 388:

Muslim countries are the worst culprits in the freedom of choice. Look at the Taliban, look at the enforcers of virtue and preventers of vice everywhere there is an Islamic society.

Let me give a few examples of this tolerance in the Indian context:

Mahmud Gazhani destroying Somanath and countless other temples, being the "But-Shikan par excellence", murderer of at least 2 million people in what is now called Pakistan and Northern India is revered as an Islamic hero. What would you think if there was a "Mosque-slayer par excellence" in other religions and he was revered the same way. And they still claimed to be "peaceful and tolerant".

Alauddin Khilazi destroying a Rajput kingdom because he wanted to rape the queen, resulting in the Jauhar (self immolation) of thousands of women in the palace. There were countless other such Jauhar by the brave Rajput women to protect their honor against invading Muslims. You won't find a single reference to that before the Muslim invasions of India, no one had been that barbaric! For these barbarians, the loot, rape and plunder was always part of warfare. In fact the very reason they went to war.

Abdali desecrating the Golden temple by cutting cows in the temple.

Timur Lame's genocide, making mountains of skulls.

Nadir Shah's genocide.

The forced conversion in Kashmir and elsewhere and the barbaric murder of Sikh Gurus for opposing them. Remember the barbaric way Guru Teg Bahadur was killed in Delhi's Chandani Chowk.

Even Akbar had 15000 civilian Rajputs murdered after a conquest.

I can go on and on...

That blot has given you everything from the blouses that women wear under their saris, to the chakra that is in your national flag. From the Taj mahal to the red fort. From monotheism to an egalitarian ideal. From the musical instruments brought by the tajiks and afghans, to the words of urdu that you plaguarise and name them hindi films/songs.

You will have to get rid of a lot of things to remove this blot. Maybe even change yourselves, as this blot has also given you the name Hind, India, which is an Arabic word for the subcontient.

Uniting Bhaarat is like cultivating on the ocean. Only two regimes have been successful in doing that in the past, That of Shahanshah Aurungzeb Alamgir, and the British Empire. As you know, both were "non brahmanic" regimes, and even these didn't last long. Who says you will succeed where they failed?

I repeat myself again, Bhaarat is not meant to be one country. It has since time immemorial been a whole contient of seperate countries. Don't try to swim upstream and leave this failed experiment to the side, before it consumes you and it is too late.

Dig Vijaya

If the USA builds a few new buildings in Pakistan after occupying it for 700 years, create a few burger chains et al, would you be very happy with that?

All this is such useless logic! Invaders to a country are never welcome, even if they bring something with them. That is why Spain got rid of every last Muslim as soon as they got free.

Why do you think every region (Spain, Turkish empire, many in India) that have been ruled by Muslims so anti-Islam? Do they remember that as a good period of their history? NO.

Even China, Korea and Japan have anti-Muslim feelings even though they have nothing much to do with Islam. They were not even occupied and ravaged as the other regions were.

Last edited:
Looking to all posts... I can see many people hates India and not able to see this country’s progressing. Reason is very simple most of South Asian countries are on the brink of economic disaster and almost going to be fragmented, which is really painful not only for people of these countries but for us too. But this does not mean one should become mad and start comparing an Indian city with European one (as did by some one here) and then declare India is worst country…

Fact is India was and still a Poor country. If you take this fact and then start analysing then 300 million middle class in 15 years in not a joke. Its almost double number than many country’s population in south asia.

We can disuses that current economic progress is not able to take Poors of India together as it should be, but we can not deny that in last 15 years changes in deep inside villages of India is visible (I belong to one of the UP village). The main reason why economic boom in last 15 years may not be able to creates jobs in rural India becuase more and more jobs we got were in service sector where one should be more skilled.

There are debates going on in India what can be done to lift the Poors of India. I think a manufacturing sector boom and massive infrastructure development coming in near future, which is going to help a lot for rural people.

both were "non brahmanic" regimes,

What is a brahmanic regime.

Brahmins have never ruled as a king. Those people are called kshatriyas.

Maybe u havent heard of Ashoka the great.

History wasn't written by Pakistanis.

Clutching at straws? Female infanticide, female featal abortion, caste discrimination, class divide, rural poverty, farmer suicide, religiously motivated violence, forced convesions, erosion of minority's culture and language, separtist movements in a dozen states i.e. naxalites, maoists, khalistanis, seven sisters, kashmir etc, 40 percent of land not under the govt's writ, hundreds of millions malnourished and on the brink of starvation, religious hindutva extremism, sangh parivar violence and xenophobia, dalit subjugation and murder, rape and plunder common, bomb blasts in every major city, civil/police corruption, majority without sanitation forced to defecate in the streets, lingual and state prejudices and hatred, half the country detests hindi and its speakers.....do you want me to find more straws? What happens when all these straws come together, is you get a very big stick to beat ignorant Bhaaratis.

Tell me which of the above problems are not present in Pakistan....

Bomb blast every alternate day, poor ranking in HDI index, Hunger index, sectarian voilence, corruption (your president is known as Mr. 10%), Urdu is not spoken by even 10 % of Pakistanis, Taliban is running parallel government in NWFP and now Pakistan is in great economic trouble (not enough foreign exchange for 2 months imports also).

If in spite of above all problems, Pakistan is not breaking ( and I know it will not break), then India will also not fail.

As i have stated previously, we have passed through more difficult phases, 65% poverty level, disturbance in southern states because of Hindi and many other things, insurgency in Punjab etc. We did not fail then, we will not fail in future.

One more thing Darkstar, you always mention 40% of India is not in govt. control, there are many troubled area in India, but govt. is in total control.

Terrorists were able to blow Marriot hotel in Islamabad, it does not mean that government has lost control over Islamabad.

What is a brahmanic regime.

Brahmins have never ruled as a king. Those people are called kshatriyas.

Maybe u havent heard of Ashoka the great.

brahmanic regimes are those in which teh brahmans have legitimised the kshatriyas to rule. it is a let me scratch your back, you scratch my back relationship between teh two uppermost castes.

If the USA builds a few new buildings in Pakistan after occupying it for 700 years, create a few burger chains et al, would you be very happy with that?

All this is such useless logic! Invaders to a country are never welcome, even if they bring something with them. That is why Spain got rid of every last Muslim as soon as they got free.

Why do you think every region (Spain, Turkish empire, many in India) that have been ruled by Muslims so anti-Islam? Do they remember that as a good period of their history? NO.

Even China, Korea and Japan have anti-Muslim feelings even though they have nothing much to do with Islam. They were not even occupied and ravaged as the other regions were.

That almost 1.5 billion people around the world are followers of Islam tells of a significant feat. That Islam can be found on nearly all continents of the world tells of its popularity and acceptance. With such a spread there are likely to be detractors but let us compare this with the situation of Hinduism. Hinduism has been largely confined to South Asia and has very few takers any where else. Hinduism has lost followers on a massive scale to Islam, Buddhism and Christianity. Hinduism's treatment of women is far less enlightened than in Islam and its notions of equality can only be described as barbaric. Islam as practiced in some parts of the world may deviate from the true path as taught in the Holy Quran but this cannot be blamed on Islam as a religion. These are more to do with local customs subsisting even after the advent of Islam. The problems with Hinduism, especially its elitism, is inherent to the religion.

That almost 1.5 billion people around the world are followers of Islam tells of a significant feat. That Islam can be found on nearly all continents of the world tells of its popularity and acceptance.

The vast majority of Muslims are in Asia and Africa. Even among them, almost 50% of world Muslims are from the subcontinent. We have already discussed some of that history earlier.

You should best remember why 3 millions of you were killed and raped, because you were "Hinduized" and that meant that Bangladeshis still respected their culture, they had not become fake Arabs.

In the other continents they are mostly economic migrants and mostly generating a lot of antipathy in the native populations because of their inability to integrate anywhere and the high crime rate. If Islam is such a popular religion, why do you make a noise that Christians, Jews and Hindus are conspiring against you? That proves something quite the contrary.

With such a spread there are likely to be detractors but let us compare this with the situation of Hinduism. Hinduism has been largely confined to South Asia and has very few takers any where else. Hinduism has lost followers on a massive scale to Islam, Buddhism and Christianity. Hinduism's treatment of women is far less enlightened than in Islam and its notions of equality can only be described as barbaric. Islam as practiced in some parts of the world may deviate from the true path as taught in the Holy Quran but this cannot be blamed on Islam as a religion. These are more to do with local customs subsisting even after the advent of Islam.

Any of the Dharmic religions never tried to forcefully convert people unlike religions coming out the middle east. If Islam after more than a thousand years could not erase bad local customs, what do you think it point to?

The problems with Hinduism, especially its elitism, is inherent to the religion.

One could say that about Islam too as the more a society is Islamic, the worse the treatment of women is, the more it becomes a monotonous society with people's limbs being chopped off in public places, people being stoned to death and the public watching the spectacle as all other entertainment options and finer things of life are banned as non-Islamic.

The Pakistan suppression in 1971 had little or anything to do with the tenets of Islam but was a matter of state policy to keep Pakistan united. While the events of 1971 were indeed dreadful this in no way negated the Two Nation Theory upon which Pakistan was founded and remains the foundation of Bangladesh. I have stated in earlier posts that the creation of Bangladesh was the fulfillment of the original Lahore Resolution.

Since Islam stretches over thousands of miles of landmass it is bound to encounter localized conflicts which have been later blamed on Islam but actually precede its birth. The Jews leaving Palestine occurred several centuries before the birth of Islam but the present conflict has become an issue for the Islam faith nevertheless. If Palestinians were not Muslim there would still be a conflict in the region.

It is a fallacy to contend that Islam came by the sword especially in what is now Bangladesh. Islam came to this region through the activities of sufi saints who gradually converted the local population from Buddhism to Islam. This was a continuous process over many centuries.

Islam cannot be described as an elitist religion. There is no accepted hierarchy like in Hinduism and Christianity which has a priestly class that could dictate the terms of Islam. A central theme of Islam is that all are equal before Allah. A poor man can pray next to a rich man in any mosque. In Hinduism if a lower caste even touches the drinking water of a Brahmin it becomes polluted.

You know, there was a recent news that a whole village was denounced as kaafir by a local Mulla in a UP village after they attended a prayer for a dead person led by a Sufi!

There are many in the Islamic faith (especially the Wahabi/Deobandi types) who think the followers of Sufis are kaafirs. That they are in opposition to the basic tenets of Islam.

If that is true, were you betrayed? You were converted by showing something that was never true to begin with.

BTW, don't fool yourself about the hierarchy in Islam. What is Ashraf and Ajlaf then? Why the superior status for Syeds and Arabs? Even if you deny it, it won't matter. Otherwise why would millions in Pakistan try to be fake Arabs?

P.S.: The Mulla also declared the relations between all married couples of the village as ZINA (never ceases to amaze me, this obsession with fu**ing) and all of them had to marry again.

Last edited:
Hinduism's treatment of women is far less enlightened than in Islam and its notions of equality can only be described as barbaric.

And Unfortunately Tasneema Nasreen has taken refuge in India even after she alleged of ill treatment by Indians sob sob.

Let me quote the same famous person about another topic.

Churchill, W - The River War 1899:

Now tell me, do you still agree with this "great person"? Would you quote him ever again in your life!

Of course I will quote him again. He was the British Prime Minister during the final stages of the British Rule in South Asia. His statements on India have merit because of his leadership position during that time.

Now tell me why his statements on Islam should have any merit at all?

Of course I will quote him again. He was the British Prime Minister during the final stages of the British Rule in South Asia. His statements on India have merit because of his leadership position during that time.

Now tell me why his statements on Islam should have any merit at all?

You can do better than that...:disagree:

Apart from your obviously stunted logic, you are squabbling over peanuts from an old Colonialist. Need I say more?

Back
Top Bottom