What's new

Is India tearing itself apart?

Bhaarat is going down, and it will shatter and break into pieces, mark my words. Not today, not tomorrow but in the forseeable future.

In the end, this break up would be a good thing, which each state being able to wrestle with its own problems and find solutions at their level.

Bhaarat was never meant to be a single country, and this federation which has been imposed by foreigners is doomed to fail.

You cannot run away from your history, this country can never be united.

Ashoka of the Mauryans tried, and managed only to keep the highways clear for trade, he couldn't rule the countryside. He was so exasperated with the rebelling nature of the Bhaarat population that he foresook his conquests, appalled at the bloodshed that he had to carry out with such disappointing results, and subsequently converted to Buddhism.

The Mughal's tried and failed, creating a vicious cycle of debt and taxation, to feed the ever growing numbers of taluqdars and zemindars. A self prepetuating elite of Nawabs, maharajas, maha ranas, amirs who bled the country dry. This had to be done to appease them due to the rebellious nature of the people and the vast distances from the center, but ended up weakening their rule.

The British tried and failed miserably, running back with the tails in their legs, leaving a population that was destitute, and prone to massacring each other.

Even the Maha Bhaarat of yore only existed in a small part of the doab region (between the holy rivers of ganga and jamuna). There was never a big, great old country called Bhaarat, as the affix of Maha suggests.

So please give up this fool's gold of an idea of a great ancient nation. The differences in culture, clothes, food, language, customs, gods, traditions castes, are too vast and are actually an explosive cocktail if mixed. Handle with care, some might advise.

One must look only at the state of maharashtra and the xenophobia recently expressed their by raj thakeray and his navnirman sena. Bollywood stalwarts such as Amitabh and Jaya Bachhan are reduced to grovelling and apologising for daring to speak Hindi at a hindi film muhurat, in Bombay, Maharasthr.

The experiment of a united Bhaarat, whenever tried, has failed miserably.

The Nehruvian/Gandhian/Mountbattenian experiment is doomed to fail too.

Dig Vijaya

Is it any wonder that a Pakistani would like to think so?

People like you would clutch at every straw (however tiny) to convince yourself that India will fall apart, and you keep on wondering why it has not already done so.

Didn't they tell you that India had a zillion separatist movements, that millions didn't have toilets, that India just needs a little help from Pakistan to implode itself.

Well you tried your best for decades, and FAILED. Your own society and country are on the verge of collapse. You also indulged in the biggest genocide after the world war and an orgy of rape and murder to subdue the "Hinduized" East Pakistanis. And failed again in forcing them to subdue, again with the help of this failing nation.

You tried to wrest Kashmir, became a breeding ground for terror all over the world, destroyed your own social fabric and failed again to achieve an iota of the land. And now many Pakistanis are coming to realize that it was a futile dream all along.

Just look at the map Bharat Varsha during the Mahabharata days here.

Hardly the Doab region!

See, you guys converted and felt that the Pre-Islamic history was all Jahiliya. Thats something that you share in common with other converts. Same happened in Persia and Egypt and Afghanistan and countless other places where ancient civilizations were lost to the invasions and conversions. Where ancient libraries were destroyed on the twisted logic that they either are contradicting the Quran or agree with it and have no reason to exist in either case.

India has a glorious history and a glorious future. The middle ages of the loot and plunder by barbarians is a blot on our history and we are determined to remove the blot. By regaining the glories of the past.

Is it any wonder that a Pakistani would like to think so?

History wasn't written by Pakistanis.

People like you would clutch at every straw (however tiny) to convince yourself that India will fall apart, and you keep on wondering why it has not already done so.

Clutching at straws? Female infanticide, female featal abortion, caste discrimination, class divide, rural poverty, farmer suicide, religiously motivated violence, forced convesions, erosion of minority's culture and language, separtist movements in a dozen states i.e. naxalites, maoists, khalistanis, seven sisters, kashmir etc, 40 percent of land not under the govt's writ, hundreds of millions malnourished and on the brink of starvation, religious hindutva extremism, sangh parivar violence and xenophobia, dalit subjugation and murder, rape and plunder common, bomb blasts in every major city, civil/police corruption, majority without sanitation forced to defecate in the streets, lingual and state prejudices and hatred, half the country detests hindi and its speakers.....do you want me to find more straws? What happens when all these straws come together, is you get a very big stick to beat ignorant Bhaaratis.

Didn't they tell you that India had a zillion separatist movements, that millions didn't have toilets, that India just needs a little help from Pakistan to implode itself.

You won't be needing our help for that, you are doing pretty well even without us.

You tried to wrest Kashmir, became a breeding ground for terror all over the world, destroyed your own social fabric and failed again to achieve an iota of the land. And now many Pakistanis are coming to realize that it was a futile dream all along.

Kashmir is not a play thing that you think you have a right over. The people have the right to be governed how they choose. You fear losing kashmir, because you know it will cause a domino effect, and your precias Akhand Bharat Dream will be lost forever.

Just look at the map Bharat Varsha during the Mahabharata days here.

3dabc6df95953a81fdb73097f41c7a9b.jpg

Hardly the Doab region!

What did you expect to find in the time of Mahabharat, a pre tectonic plate crashing map? when Africa, Asia, and Australia were one landmass.

Of course the friggin map will be the same. The point is, did you have one ruler uniting this huge area of the subcontinent in the map?

The map you gave me, and the map I will provide below, actually proves my point. There were dozens of kingdoms in bharat, not one. The kingdom whose story is retold in the Mahabharat Epic is the kuru kingdom, and the two main cities of the protaganists are indraprastha and hastinapura...if you look closely at the map, one is on the yamuna, and the other is on the ganga...the land is the doab region, i.e. the land around and between the two rivers. are you seriously telling me, that the mahabharat conflict was about the whole of bhaarat indo pak subcontinent? it obviously wasn't, and you need to check your historical facts again, or buy a dvd of mahabharat.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/EpicIndia.jpg

AS you can see above, during the time of mahabharat, India was far from united. There were literally dozens of completely independant, warring kingdoms. Hardly the dream of magnificence that people like you want to recreate.

See, you guys converted and felt that the Pre-Islamic history was all Jahiliya. Thats something that you share in common with other converts. Same happened in Persia and Egypt and Afghanistan and countless other places where ancient civilizations were lost to the invasions and conversions. Where ancient libraries were destroyed on the twisted logic that they either are contradicting the Quran or agree with it and have no reason to exist in either case.

Your civilisation remained intact after 700 years of muslim rule, so how can you make this claim? Your whole existence, and your coming on this forum is a proof agaisnt your claims...If bharat civilisation had been lost under the conquering arabs,turks,afghans then what is bhaarat today, an arabic/turkish country?

Egypt still has the oldest churches and oldes sect on earth, the coptic christians. They are thriving. As are the christians in syria, and palestine the birthplace of jesus. Facts do not bear out your criticism.

Yes, most Persians adopted Islam a couple of centuries after they were conquered, but so did genghiz khan's granchildren after having conquered and massacred muslim kingdoms and destroying the baghdad kalifat. Would you say that the conquering Mongols were also forced to convert? Considering what Bhaaratis consider forced conversions, what with the recent hoopla about christian converts, it seems for you all conversion is forced. You still have not grasped the concept of freedom of choice in religion.

However, you still see that the persians have not lost their culture, and language. In fact, under muslim rule it has indeed blossomed. Until colonial times, Khurasaan and Iran were the tourist destinations of the world.

India has a glorious history and a glorious future. The middle ages of the loot and plunder by barbarians is a blot on our history and we are determined to remove the blot. By regaining the glories of the past.

That blot has given you everything from the blouses that women wear under their saris, to the chakra that is in your national flag. From the Taj mahal to the red fort. From monotheism to an egalitarian ideal. From the musical instruments brought by the tajiks and afghans, to the words of urdu that you plaguarise and name them hindi films/songs.

You will have to get rid of a lot of things to remove this blot. Maybe even change yourselves, as this blot has also given you the name Hind, India, which is an Arabic word for the subcontient.

Uniting Bhaarat is like cultivating on the ocean. Only two regimes have been successful in doing that in the past, That of Shahanshah Aurungzeb Alamgir, and the British Empire. As you know, both were "non brahmanic" regimes, and even these didn't last long. Who says you will succeed where they failed?

I repeat myself again, Bhaarat is not meant to be one country. It has since time immemorial been a whole contient of seperate countries. Don't try to swim upstream and leave this failed experiment to the side, before it consumes you and it is too late.

Dig Vijaya

Last edited:
So according to this map, 'Bharat Varsha' was actually compromised of Kingdoms and States with their own borders. That certainly doesnt make 'Bharat Varsha' united in any way or form.

I will quote a famous person:

"India is merely a geographical expression. It is no more a single country than the Equator." -Winston Churchill

What is a human ? Mind or Matter ..
For you he is a Matter and for me its a balance between Mind and matter which makes a good human and his society .
Its mind which creates and manages every bit of this existence .

What is human? what is this question? I see, you must be the spiritual type. Unfortunately, I am not the spiritual type, I am a realist and I deal with realist and practical terms.

I think our discussion going to go in circles and I'm going to repeat myself. So let's get back to basics that way perhaps I could understand you more.

Also, try to answer my question with answers instead with another question. That would make it easier.

OK, back to basics, can you tell me what is a society? and what is a "failed" society?

After, can you tell me what points that China fits in to the "failed" society definition.

About the "good human" part, could you elaborate on that. Do you mean to say that inorder for a society not to be a "failed society", the people within this society must be all good humans?.

So you are saying lets not try for perfection ? trying for what we don’t have is human spirit . otherwise we are a beast .

Firstly, what is perfection? and does everyone have to follow your so-called "perfection status"? Also, don't forget to say how we measure this perfection.

A man without a proper sanitation can still be a good human by his behavior but a man with bad and arrogant behavior will be worst enemy of humanity even if he uses the best bathrooms of the world . Like Hitler did

When people cannot even put food on their table, do you think they care whether they are being a good human or not?. There are probably some good humans around, but when you are talking about society you need to include the rest despite their background and religion or their ideologies.

What you are saying just applies to some people who lives within this society. The spiritual type of people might see your view. But how you going to deal with realists? Society is diversed, so if not all are "good humans" does that mean it is a "failed society"?.

Politics is the result of the culture of its society .society makes leaders and leaders influence its people .
A mature society will never allow a dictator to crush his own people for asking the basic human rights . if freedom and human rights were not the most important factor of human existence then no one would have fought for independence .

So now your linking society with politics?. Let's not get drifted away. Let's stay back on the topic of a "failed society". So does that mean aslong a society is not run by dictators it is a "successfull society"? and the rest are failed?.

This point of puttinf freedom and human rights against development is a very childish argument .
My dear Friend a good culture result in better economy .. the richest societies are all democratic and they are more stable . a free mind can innovate and work better .

Apart from calling my argument childish and what else. Can you answer my question. Society is made up by many factors like religion, economy and culture. Your critical point is the people being "good human" so if the other factors are prospering, is it still considered a "failed society"?.

Then whats the difference between a pet dog and a human . ?
And who said free and democratic societies cant develop

Do yo now want to include dogs into your society factors? Do you think we should factor in insects, rodents, trees into the society fator aswell?.

Its not about few incidents, its about the mentality .. about the culture . but for you matter is more important then Mind

So the Chinese mentality and culture is a problem and it also qualifies as a "failed" society?.

Last question, is India and the US a failed society?.

We are among the worlds fastest growing economies. I am not going to post links to prove such a claim though.
No doubt India is growing but ishe's nowhere close to China. I believe thats what DarkStar is saying.

India is also the 4th largest economy in PPP terms and 12th largest in nominal terms. That counts for something in a world consisting of 206 nations.
PPP is nothing but baked air, nominal GDP counts. India is ranked 12th due her size, GDP PC ranking is among the lowest of 206 nations.

No doubt India is growing but ishe's nowhere close to China. I believe thats what DarkStar is saying.

PPP is nothing but baked air, nominal GDP counts. India is ranked 12th due her size, GDP PC ranking is among the lowest of 206 nations.

you keep trying to tell the indians that, but they won't listen.

They will continue to insist that Calcutta is better than Rotterdam, because there are more people in calcutta who eat at restaurants, pull man-rickshaws, use the loo, bu mithai, etc than Rotterdam. You see Calcutta is shining while Rotterdam is not. Calcutta is rich while Rotterdam is a slum.

Just because there are more people in calcutta who use the loo and eat and drink and travel and buy things, doesn't mean the economy of calcutta is better. It may be bigger, but not better.

Ask any experienced person and they will tell you size doesn't matter. It is what you do with it that counts.

Now how do you explain the difference between GRoss Domestic Prodcut, and Gross National Product per capita income to a Bhaarti? You just can't. Because he won't listen, and keep repeating the GDP mantra.

Methinks it is because the educated Bhaarti knows, where they stand in the GNP per capita income table.

Tell me how many roti's or portions of bhaat (rice) can you buy with 1 PPP dollar, can you declare your incomes in PPP dollars when applying for a mortgage or a foreign visa? :crazy:

Pesonally I find it very disturbing how the 300 million strong Indian middle and upperclass is being presented as the true face of India, its a discrimination for the ones left out of the economic boom...800 million poor Indians who're still balancing on survival.

How often do we read about the negative parameters in superlative form, i.e. largest single concentration of poorest, uneducated, , child malnutrition, child labor, lack of sanatary facilities, abandoned hindu widows in Varanasi and the list is long...

Surely India has failed those but who cares...300 million are faring well right?

Pesonally I find it very disturbing how the 300 million strong Indian middle and upperclass is being presented as the true face of India, its a discrimination for the ones left out of the economic boom...800 million poor Indians who're still balancing on survival.

How often do we read about the negative parameters in superlative form, i.e. largest single concentration of poorest, uneducated, , child malnutrition, child labor, lack of sanatary facilities, abandoned hindu widows in Varanasi and the list is long...

Surely India has failed those but who cares...300 million are faring well right?

I do disagree with your statement Neo, if India can keep it's growth rate it will pull 700 million people from lower income to higher income. The problem with a Democratic system is that certain states will benefit more then others. A perfect example is TATA, moving Nano manufacturing plant to Gujarat because Gujarat gave a better incentive to move. This will surely increase Gujarat's per capita as well it's GDP.

It is only matter of time that other half of Indians will benefit from India growth.

top countries per capita income, 2005, and 2006

Luxembourg 68810 76040
Norway 60890 66530
Switzerland 55320 57230
Denmark 48330 51700
Iceland 48570 50580
Ireland 41140 45580
United States 43560 44970
Sweden 40910 43580
Netherlands 39340 42670
Finland 37530 40650
United Kingdom 37750 40180
Austria 37190 39590
Belgium 36140 38600
Japan 38950 38410
High income: OECD 36506 38120
Germany 34870 36620
France 34600 36550
High income 34962 36487
Canada 32590 36170
Australia 33120 35990

bottom countries

Angola 1410 1980
Ukraine 1540 1950
Armenia 1470 1930
Morocco 1750 1900
East Asia & Pacific 1628 1863
Azerbaijan 1270 1850
Vanuatu 1620 1710
Syrian Arab Republic 1420 1570
Georgia 1300 1560
Philippines 1290 1420
Indonesia 1260 1420
Bhutan 1250 1410
Paraguay 1130 1400
Egypt, Arab Rep. 1250 1350
Sri Lanka 1170 1300
Kiribati 1170 1230
Honduras 1120 1200
Guyana 1030 1130
Moldova 960 1100
Bolivia 1020 1100
Cameroon 1000 1080
Djibouti 1010 1060
Lesotho 930 1030
Nicaragua 950 1000
Mongolia 720 880
Cote d'Ivoire 840 870
Sub-Saharan Africa 743 842
Timor-Leste 750 840
India 730 820
Sudan 650 810
Sao Tome and Principe 780
Papua New Guinea 700 770
Pakistan 690 770
South Asia 693 766
Yemen, Rep. 660 760
Senegal 700 750
Mauritania 580 740
Vietnam 620 690
Solomon Islands 620 680
Comoros 650 660

Does 1% matter.
India at 9%, china at 10%
Darkstar directly related to economic growth.

Ah! So, u are one of those ppl who buy vegetables in pakistan in dollars.
maybe you buy movie tickets in dollars. i guess even beggers in pak get dollars.

the market value for dollars is fixed and is adjusted based on how the US economy performs. you are already getting hard lessons on economy with PR already at 87 to a dollar and u still believe PPP is nothing but baked air.
Do u know why this happened. The purchasing power parity of your rupee is considerably reduced due to the recession.

Nominal GDP is used when it come to international trade and transactions. If u are a trader in the import export business, an overseas businessman or even a tourist. Then nominal GDP is taken into account. If u wanna import your car from japan, u will have to pay in dollars.

PPP comes for us domestic users. U buy grocery using rupees, build roads and railways using rupees, Build local business using rupees, trade in the stock market using rupees. U dont use dollars.

Do u think a product that costs a dollar in the US will actually cost a dollar in pak. Lets take mangoes as an example. U might be able to buy a kilo of mangoes for less than a dollar in pak. But the same mangoes will cost atleast 5 dollars maybe 10 in the US.

PPP is taken into account by adjusting the inflation rates in your country. Nominal GDP is the fixed amount that is directly related to the performance to the US economy. If the dollar takes a hit, then the rupees is affected. But, if the rupees is hit, there is no change in the dollar value.

PPP is useless if u are directly using dollars. But, for an average indian or pakistani, the value of the rupee is more important than the dollar.

GDP PC ranking is among the lowest of 206 nations.
In that case even chinas is as low as indias.

Bhaarat is not meant to be one country. It has since time immemorial been a whole contient of seperate countries. Don't try to swim upstream and leave this failed experiment to the side, before it consumes you and it is too late.

This has been my point along. Why has it been so difficult for Indians to understand? In an attempt to keep itself together India poses a threat to all its neighbors. Just to keep its Tamil politicians happy it is interfering in Sri Lanka's civil war. It has done the same in Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan and other countries of South Asia just as a unifying point for its own existence. When people of India realize that its neighbors are not the danger that they are made out toe be then India will begin to disintegrate. India must keep up the fiction of a dangerous neighborhood simply for its own survival.

PPP being baked air is only a myth.

The problem PPP faces is that it can only be used between 2 nations. For eg: dollar vs INR or vice versa.

Or else it is a very good measure of how exactly rich a poor country is compared to another wealthy country.
It is also used to calculate the real value of poverty in a country.

But, it cannot be effectively used when 2 countries have similar economies.

This is how an economy balances itself and then progresses.
When a middle income class is born, these are the people who can spend. Theses people invest directly into the economy to create more jobs attracting the lower income class. After a few years, when the middle class gets richer, the lower class automatically get richer. Meaning the lower class become the middle class. The cycle continues until the entire population is rich as seen in the economies of western europe, japan, US and south korea.
The US had 10 million middle class citizens during the great depression. Now they have an almost 300 million upper class population, after almost 70 years.
In the US middle class are the white collar workers.

One a nation gets the middle class, the nation is on its way to progress.

Just because there are more people in calcutta who use the loo and eat and drink and travel and buy things, doesn't mean the economy of calcutta is better. It may be bigger, but not better.

Ask any experienced person and they will tell you size doesn't matter. It is what you do with it that counts.

Ah my educated economic friend. That is the paradox of India. India is benefiting economically by the size of it population as well as hurting by it (Per Capita).

And your question about size it does matter unless you are going to bring an argument of Japan, but still it does matter.

1. High population of India creates cheap labor, hense product that is afforable to the International market.

2. Size of India and it states gives company benefits to shop for the best perks.

For example south is good in IT buiness, Gujarate is great in Manufacturing, Punjab is good at Agriculture.

3. The size of India and the diverse culture creates hetergenous ideas, Japan biggest mistake of creating homongenous society created stagnation at certain level and slow down the economy for decades.

4. And because of India size and population it will create more consumers, thus increase in it's own growth. Currently India consumer population is equal to US, that is why lots of US companies are investing India.

just for the beginning my friend.

Back
Top Bottom