What's new

Is India on its way to becoming a superpower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still, the "intercontinental"" in ICBM implies true intercontinental range - like Europe to America or America to Asia. The Agni V doesn't cut it.

So the world first ICBM has higher range than Agni-5... :drag: We should really stop calling it an ICBM. Or maybe it is an ICBM but not the ICBM which everyone knows. Agni-5 is is not an Inter Continental Ballistic missile but rather an Intra Continental Ballistic missile.

Here's an example - The R-7 Semyorka, the first ever ICBM., intrduced in the early 60s. It's liquid fueled and takes a long time to ready, unlike India's solid missiles, but has more than twice the range of the Agni V and can hit the USA from Russia, something no Indian missile can do.

range of R 7 was 8,800 KM so its not twice than that of Agni 5

let me show you why apart from range Agni 5 is better than R 7

The R-7 was 34 m long, 3 m in diameter and weighed 280 metric tons; it was two-stage, powered by rocket engines using liquid oxygen (LOX) and kerosene and capable of delivering its payload at around 8,800 km, with an accuracy (CEP) of around 5 km.

Agni 5

Specifications
Weight 50,000 kg[5]
Length 17.5 m[6]
Diameter 2 metres (6 ft 7 in)
Warhead Nuclear
Warhead weight 1,500 kilograms (3,300 lb)[11]
Engine Three stage solid fuel
Operational
range Over 5,000 kilometres
(3,100 mi)[1][8][9]
Speed Mach 24[7]
Guidance
system Ring laser gyroscope and inertial navigation system, optionally augmented by GPS. Terminal guidance with possible radar scene correlation
Launch
platform 8 x 8 Tatra TEL and rail mobile launcher (canisterised missile package) [10]
Transport Road or rail mobile

as you can see R 7 is nearly 7 times heavier than Agni 5 but its range is just 56.82% more than Agni 5

plus R 7 was difficult to launch and its launch pad could be easily destroyed

Comeon, R-7 is to ICBMs what Me-262 is to jet fighter planes. They were the firsts! Would Me-262 be a fair comparison to the Tejas in specs? It is not fair. Tejas beats Me-262 hands down in ALL parameters, while on the other hand our ICBM beats R-7 in all parameters but one, which happens to be one of the most important parameter - Range!

Oh what a ridiculous question. India is not a superpower; neither it is on its way to become one. It will be a formidable regional player - but that is about it. Why this Indian quest to be a superpower anyway? It is a crown of thorns - look at the Americans - they are not exactly winning popularity contests anywhere with their attitude.

the possibility of India becoming Global Superpower is very less

it will remain Regional Superpower for foreseeable future

off coarse it will emerge as major global power but not superpower

Agni missile will not make India superpower....anyway why we need to become superpower.....just concentrate all the good work India is doing.... thats it.....

No. India is neither aiming nor want to be Superpower at the moment. What it wants to have is enough resources in terms of jobs, goods etc so that all its citizen can have a decent life. USA is a current superpower and India is happy to move along side by side with it and other powerful as well as weaker nations.

as you can see R 7 is nearly 7 times heavier than Agni 5 but its range is just 56.82% more than Agni 5

plus R 7 was difficult to launch and its launch pad could be easily destroyed

dude, you seriously believe the launcher used by Agni V is good?

let me just tell you one short story, last month when people were discussing those NK launchers provided by China someone mentioned whether india is capable to build those launcher on its own. the conclusion is india will not be able to do so even if the blueprint is given to them for free because it is simply not possible for a nation not even industralized to do so.

have a look at Agni V's launcher, do you believe it is remotely comparable to MAZ? or our WS series?

:smokin:

Agni missile will not make India superpower....anyway why we need to become superpower.....just concentrate all the good work India is doing.... thats it.....

all the good work india is doing?

sorry, the gap between india and China are being widened on a daily basis. and you talk about all the good work india is doing? can I ask what is those good work?

thanks i thought it was only India that lost many of its territories :P

dude, no matter whether you like it or not, China is always a nation dominated by Han Chinese, with 95% of our population being Han Chinese I trust your maths won't cause you trouble to understand and agree on that. now the interesting thing is what is the traditional land size of Han people? ever heard about the word "Central Plain", check it.

also check whether Han Chinese lost any single inch of land in its entire civilization.

This superpower discussion has gone on too long, its just stupid. Even if one can somehow define the superpower concept in this fact changing digital world, even then it does not matter at all for any Indian and for stuff that really affects his life.

Give it a rest ladies.

sorry, the gap between india and China are being widened on a daily basis. and you talk about all the good work india is doing? can I ask what is those good work?
why ur bringing China in here? its not required, if ur intrested in knowing about the good work what India is doing either see a thread named " India developing but still a long way to go " or Google ( if possible) 12th year recommendations of planning commission of India that might help. we know India is not completely industrialized but we are working on it something similar to what in China is "manufacturing hubs" .

why ur bringing China in here? its not required, if ur intrested in knowing about the good work what India is doing either see a thread named " India developing but still a long way to go " or Google ( if possible) 12th year recommendations of planning commission of India that might help. we know India is not completely industrialized but we are working on it something similar to what in China is "manufacturing hubs" .

let's be honest, the world is not large enough to have a raising China and india - there is no win-win solution, one has to lose.
because of this, plus the fact that this thread is about whether india is going to rise to its "superpower" status, you tell me why my argument is off topic?

are you suggesting this world has enough oil reserve to have another 2 billion middle class?

I also want to point out some obvious mistakes you made in your reply:

1. I am an indian expert, although my major is computer science. please don't worry about my education background as I finsihed my 12th year some 15 years ago and completed my PhD many years ago.

2. india is not industrialized, its industry is probably even worse than China in 1985. it is never "not completely industrialized", it is not even half industrialized. if you don't agree, ask yourself a quick question: when you talk here on the Internet, from your computer, the software you use on a daily basis, the router, the backbone router, which is designed/made in india? nothing.

The only "superpower" at present is the USA, and that country is facing major military cuts, economic problems, and a political system that is unable to pass badly needed reforms.

India doesn't need to have the kind of power the US has (massive atomic arsenal, a large number of carrier groups, etc). India needs to be able to defend itself, and grow its economy for the betterment of its people.

The only "superpower" at present is the USA, and that country is facing major military cuts, economic problems, and a political system that is unable to pass badly needed reforms.

India doesn't need to have the kind of power the US has (massive atomic arsenal, a large number of carrier groups, etc). India needs to be able to defend itself, and grow its economy for the betterment of its people.

What about India and retail FDI?

Do you really think a coalition system is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom