What's new

Is Beijing's smog getting worse?

I understand your points.
But it happens even in larger scale in China, especially your first two points.
More vehicles can be found in China.
(There is a difference in 2-wheels though, most Chinese choose electric scooters)
Way more construction sites can be found in China.
For example, in my city, 10+ metros, hundreds of residential buildings, 10+ 300m+ commercial buildings, countless elevated roads are being built at the same time, in a bid to cater for one million new migrants in the next 5 years adding to previous 10 million people.

Probably on point 3, the difference is obvious. Chinese families mostly use pipeline gas.
However, there is supposed to be more pollutants from China's heavy industry compared to India.

See the factories around the railway station in my city.
What this steel company produces equals one third of the total production in India.

In the city or in the countryside?
Countryside mostly...in a city like Delhi having a traditional mud stove with wood and cow dung as fuel would be thought of as a luxury.

See this -
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_population_density

China might be constructing taller buildings in Beijing but absolute number of houses in Delhi area is also high. There are regulations for example cover construction material while transporting so that it does not blow in wind which are minimally followed.
Govt is talking about huge air filters etc similar to what you have. I know it will take time but at least few solutions have been thought of.

Plus there might be many factors like coastal cities karachi, Mumbai, chennai etc might get cleaner air from sea side. Delhi is surrounded by high population area.

Countryside mostly...in a city like Delhi having a traditional mud stove with wood and cow dung as fuel would be thought of as a luxury.

See this -
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_population_density

China might be constructing taller buildings in Beijing but absolute number of houses in Delhi area is also high. There are regulations for example cover construction material while transporting so that it does not blow in wind which are minimally followed.
Govt is talking about huge air filters etc similar to what you have. I know it will take time but at least few solutions have been thought of.

Plus there might be many factors like coastal cities karachi, Mumbai, chennai etc might get cleaner air from sea side. Delhi is surrounded by high population area.
Talking about the population density does not make sense in China.
Cause a China's city = downtown (similar to Mumbai) + several suburb districts + several outer counties.
Chinese cities are more like an entire prefecture in Japan or a smaller state in Germany.
So, density is not really the excuse.

My city has 10 million people who mostly live within 400km2 in the downtown.
But the entire municipality has 8000km2.

屏幕快照 2016-11-04 16.34.47.png

The population density in China is mostly underestimated by 10 times at least.
Do you think the density in downtown Wuhan is only 1200/km2 according to wikipedia after having watched the following videos?

China might be constructing taller buildings in Beijing but absolute number of houses in Delhi area is also high.
Beijing?
Forget about it.
Yes, 10+ subways, numerous HSRs and thousands of buildings are being built there, but their speed is not impressive in China.

Western China and Central China have more projects in construction though Beijing and Shanghai's development growth is still quite fast compared to other developing cities outside China.

Chongqing, Western China

Provincial capital of China's poorest province

Again, such rules apply to any country.
Beijing is within one of the biggest mega-regions in the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jingjinji

Yes, coastal cities can have better air quality.
Shenzhen, a city of 10 million located in the PRD mega-region, has very good air.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_River_Delta

But I would not attribute the majority reasons to its location.
Shenzhen is clean mostly because their industry is technology-intensive, home to BYD, Huawei, ZTE, Xiaomi and DJI. They will replace all public buses with 15k BYD electric buses by the end of 2017.

Pollution in all major industrial countries is one indispensable part of the industrialisation and modernisation phase. And the extent will be shrinking when the modernisation and urbanisation matures with the massive adoption of technology-intensive industries. (China's urbanisation rate is only 50+%, the goal is 70-80%). However, India seems not a case of such natural development.

Last edited:

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom