What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

a funny thing i recently noticed about akhgar missile and qassed-3 cruise missile:
gased-3-2.jpg

اخگر-1.png

winglets and stabilizers except of being in 90 degrees positions are closer together to make more lift while compromising a little of maneuverability. it can increase the range. surprisingly new 2000 pound qased bombs utilize similar arrangement of winglet and stabilizers:
gased-3.jpg

comparing to older qaseds:
gased-3..jpg

a funny thing i recently noticed about akhgar missile and qassed-3 cruise missile:
View attachment 641244
View attachment 641247

winglets and stabilizers except of being in 90 degrees positions are closer together to make more lift while compromising a little of maneuverability. it can increase the range. surprisingly new 2000 pound qased bombs utilize similar arrangement of winglet and stabilizers:
View attachment 641258
comparing to older qaseds:
View attachment 641259
I thought the reason was to be able to fit it under more variety of aircrafts given the low height of some of them when they are on the ground.

View attachment 641890

for English readers:
Iran holds the record of longest flight sortie in the world. during the Iran-Iraq war, general khalili flew for 14 hours and during so 8 times did air refueling using air force tankers.
the most amazing part is he did it with an F-14 one of the most maintenance hungry aircraft in the world.

aryanavy_20200614_19.jpg
aryanavy_20200614_25.jpg
younes_bahari69_20200614_10.jpg
iranmilitaryphoto_20200614_51.jpg
aryanavy_20200614_23.jpg
aryanavy_20200614_17.jpg
iranmilitaryphoto_20200614_52.jpg
aryanavy_20200614_20.jpg
aryanavy_20200614_16.jpg
aryanavy_20200614_24.jpg
aryanavy_20200614_18.jpg

some high quality images of AF to make dear users like this:
imagesgg.jpg

in this image leading edge flaps, refueling probe, air flow pressure controlling ramp and that extendable winglets (i don't know the scientific fancy word :D ) are visible.

the most amazing part is he did it with an F-14 one of the most maintenance hungry aircraft in the world.
a cobra pilot was saying once that each one hour of flight exhaust pilot so badly that he have to rest at least two hours, now imagine the fighter pilot status after 14 hour of flight.

Were any F14 external fuel tanks delivered with the F14s? I never saw an Iranian F14 equiped with external fuel tanks. Also if Iran didnt get any, did they ever think of making some by themselves or using those pylons for something else like equipping bombs or missiles?

Were any F14 external fuel tanks delivered with the F14s? I never saw an Iranian F14 equiped with external fuel tanks. Also if Iran didnt get any, did they ever think of making some by themselves or using those pylons for something else like equipping bombs or missiles?
29090661_1129767303831656_4113861899655839744_n.jpg

at least in one case the AF installed two fuel tanks to f-14. regarding the arming f-14 for ground attack:

Screenshot_2019-05-13-00-56-27.png
sh.omid.59_1558905583121.jpg
1-sROhZBvsk4jH1_kC7Ga2UQ1.jpeg
iranian_defensive_power_1558890008992.jpg

Attachments

• 045cad237c631af03ad04d2fb75a7037.jpg
    045cad237c631af03ad04d2fb75a7037.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 21
View attachment 641936

at least in one case the AF installed two fuel tanks to f-14. regarding the arming f-14 for ground attack:

View attachment 641929 View attachment 641930 View attachment 641931 View attachment 641934
Well I knew that the Iranian F14s had the ability to carry bombs, but I was asking about the pylons under the intakes where the fuel tanks are placed. Most Iranian F14s dont use the fuel tanks, so using those pylons under the intakes for something else would make sense and would increase the payload of the tomcats.
Also thanks for the pictures.

regarding the arming f-14 for ground attack
I knew they carried bombs. but do they carry smart bombs OR nothing is said about that? (Imo, they can carry all sorts of homemade stuff, at least if I were in charge, I would upgrade them to be able to do so...)

I knew they carried bombs. but do they carry smart bombs OR nothing is said about that? (Imo, they can carry all sorts of homemade stuff, at least if I were in charge, I would upgrade them to be able to do so...)
Well they have to upgrade the electronics of the F14 first so that the sensors on the bombs or missiles can be used by the computers on board and displayed on the screens in the cockpit. I am sure some of the F14s have been upgraded to be able to carry such equipment. I also heard some have been upgraded to carry cruise missiles, but I am not sure if it has been tested or shown.

Well I knew that the Iranian F14s had the ability to carry bombs, but I was asking about the pylons under the intakes where the fuel tanks are placed. Most Iranian F14s dont use the fuel tanks, so using those pylons under the intakes for something else would make sense and would increase the payload of the tomcats.
Also thanks for the pictures.
i don't know about the pylons but US tomcats also were carrying fuel pods under the intake. at least i never saw under the pylons. it might be structural limit but i'm not sure. also f-14 was mostly interceptor and to be honest quite a long range interceptor (800 km combat radius). even right now super hornet can't reach it's combat radius while going through several upgrades. also it had aerial refueling capability and the most long range missiles in it's era. so it never required an additional fuel tank i guess.
well if drones can carry satellite guided bombs then f-14 definitely can too. EO/IR guided munitions also just need an MFD to aim on and home to their targets. and if i'm not wrong, f-14 has 5 of them. laser guided bombs need pod or ground forward deployment.
but overall i don't think AF would risk the planes and use them as bomber in a conflict except some examples which lost their radars in incidents.

well if drones can carry satellite guided bombs then f-14 definitely can too. EO/IR guided munitions also just need an MFD to aim on and home to their targets. and if i'm not wrong, f-14 has 5 of them. laser guided bombs need pod or ground forward deployment.
but overall i don't think AF would risk the planes and use them as bomber in a conflict except some examples which lost their radars in incidents.
I dont think the original MFDs on the tomcat are compatible with the EO and IR seekers. Those might need to be replaced by newer RGB MFDs. Anyway I think Iran is very well capable of modernising the tomcat with completely new digital avionics and a full modernization of the radar, and I think some of them already recieved such an upgrade, but there is no evidence.

Back
Top Bottom