What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

well Abdollahian's argument was that Saudi's F-15 need a specific fuel which they don't produce it themselves. in your simple search, can you find anything about that?!
Its unbelievable that KSA can't produce Jet-4 (Phased out) or Jet-8 fuel. all the country in the middle east produce it for their F-15 and F-16 which use the same engine

Its unbelievable that KSA can't produce Jet-4 (Phased out) or Jet-8 fuel. all the country in the middle east produce it for their F-15 and F-16 which use the same engine
commercial aviation flights use jet A1 fuel whereas Americans use jet A, and U.S military uses JP8, similar, but different standards and specially different from the maintenance point of view.
Now USAF uses JP8+100.

We don't know no sh!t, so better not to argue on something which have no clue about. you are free to believe whatever and whoever you want.

commercial aviation flights use jet A1 fuel whereas Americans use jet A, and U.S military uses JP8, similar, but different standards and specially different from the maintenance point of view.
Now USAF uses JP8+100.

We don't know no sh!t, so better not to argue on something which have no clue about. you are free to believe whatever and whoever you want.

OMG! It's just sad to see how we continue to underestimate our regional rivals and enemies!
Saudi Arabia has a vast petrol empire and they spend the bulk of their military spending's on their Air Force so to be under the illusion that they can't even provide fuel for their fighters is absurd!
And even if we assume that they can't produce the fuel themselves it would be delusional of us not to assume that they have enough reserve fuel saved up to easily last them a year or two in an all out war!

Saudi leaders may not be the smartest people on the planet but they are far from being that stupid!

Yes in Yemen the U.S. provides air to air refueling for them and the main reason for that is because there are no real targets left in Yemen and Saudi fighters have to constantly search the terrain searching for some target to hit!

There are no large Military Depots or factories left to hit! There no more Air Force bases to hit, there are no Naval bases to hit! there are no major radar sites or SAM sites to hit there are no major command centers to hit.....

upload_2018-3-25_12-36-11.png

That's how far way King Khalid Air Force Base is from northern Yemen

King Khalid Air Force base is a massive base and even a WW2 era V1 would have the range and accuracy to hit that base from Yemen and yet after years of war by the most part it remains untouched so I wouldn't be so quick to underestimate Saudi Military capabilities

And producing MRBM at rates of 200 per year is not significant enough to make up for a countries lack of Air Force!

there are no real targets left in Yemen and Saudi fighters have to constantly search the terrain searching for some target to hit!
really? I thought that's what drones and satellites do, but apparently things are different in Saudi kingdom!
keep your face in them.

Mohsen,

Sorry, been off the PDF for several days.

And to answer your question, yes my simple Google search found that Saudi Aramco (who own and operate most of Saudi Arabia refining facilities) lists JP-8 as one of the many products in this "Domestic Sales" list, which is the standard fuel for not just F-15s but nearly all aircraft in the USAF today.

What IS true is that back in the 1991 Gulf War, JP-8 was not produced in Saudi Arabia but at the time, there was still a hot debate within the DoD about whether they should switch to a single aviation fuel. This debate would result in JP-8 being adopted as the singular fuel for US aviation.

So given we have THE oil refiner in Saudi Arabia listing JP-8 as a domestic sales product..
http://www.saudiaramco.com/en/home/our-business/domestic-sales/our-refined-products.html

I'd say whatever source you were talking about before has no idea what they're talking about.

Heck, with a little more Googling, I found that even Djibouti has a refining facility (funded by a UAE company) that produces JP-8, which makes the idea that Saudi Arabia (whose only been refining oil for 70+ years now..) can't do so is beyond laughable, it's just sounds painfully stupid.

Mohsen,

Sorry, been off the PDF for several days.

And to answer your question, yes my simple Google search found that Saudi Aramco (who own and operate most of Saudi Arabia refining facilities) lists JP-8 as one of the many products in this "Domestic Sales" list, which is the standard fuel for not just F-15s but nearly all aircraft in the USAF today.

What IS true is that back in the 1991 Gulf War, JP-8 was not produced in Saudi Arabia but at the time, there was still a hot debate within the DoD about whether they should switch to a single aviation fuel. This debate would result in JP-8 being adopted as the singular fuel for US aviation.

So given we have THE oil refiner in Saudi Arabia listing JP-8 as a domestic sales product..
http://www.saudiaramco.com/en/home/our-business/domestic-sales/our-refined-products.html

I'd say whatever source you were talking about before has no idea what they're talking about.

Heck, with a little more Googling, I found that even Djibouti has a refining facility (funded by a UAE company) that produces JP-8, which makes the idea that Saudi Arabia (whose only been refining oil for 70+ years now..) can't do so is beyond laughable, it's just sounds painfully stupid.
and what about JP8+100 which is the mandatory addition for JP8?! (unless random engine failures is acceptable)

Mohsen,

Not quite correct. JP-8+100 is not an additive but a newer version of JP-8 fuel that INCLUDES a new additive. So there is now standard JP-8 and JP-8+100. According to several documents I found, the primary users of the +100 version of the fuel are USAF fighter and trainer units, which suggests other USAF assets are using the original fuel mixture.

So while the Saudis do produce JP-8, I couldn't find anything about them producing the additive needed to make it the +100 blend. It seems this additive, referred to by Shell as "Aeroshell Performance Additive 101" is only produced by a handful of companies.

That doesn't necessary mean the RSAF is importing this additive for blending with their domestically produced JP-8 (much in the same way ethanol is added to unleaded gasoline at the distribution facility just before transporting to your local gas station), as they may be satisfied with the performance of the original blend for now.

Point is, RSAF F-15s, Typhoons, and Tornadoes can use the domestically produced JP-8 just fine, they're just going to be paying for the added wear and tear on their engines in the long term. It's not as though they will simply being falling out of the sky, but it does mean they'll have more downtime for engine maintenance.

Mohsen,

Not quite correct. JP-8+100 is not an additive but a newer version of JP-8 fuel that INCLUDES a new additive. So there is now standard JP-8 and JP-8+100. According to several documents I found, the primary users of the +100 version of the fuel are USAF fighter and trainer units, which suggests other USAF assets are using the original fuel mixture.

So while the Saudis do produce JP-8, I couldn't find anything about them producing the additive needed to make it the +100 blend. It seems this additive, referred to by Shell as "Aeroshell Performance Additive 101" is only produced by a handful of companies.

That doesn't necessary mean the RSAF is importing this additive for blending with their domestically produced JP-8 (much in the same way ethanol is added to unleaded gasoline at the distribution facility just before transporting to your local gas station), as they may be satisfied with the performance of the original blend for now.

Point is, RSAF F-15s, Typhoons, and Tornadoes can use the domestically produced JP-8 just fine, they're just going to be paying for the added wear and tear on their engines in the long term. It's not as though they will simply being falling out of the sky, but it does mean they'll have more downtime for engine maintenance.
so back to the beginning, we don't know what fuel Saudi F-15s are using.
but we do know that Saudis F-15 are 100% maintained by Americans (which use JP8+100) for themselves.
we do know that Saudis rely on Americans airborne refueling.

You really have no chance to challenge the words of our official who quotes our military sources.

Back
Top Bottom