What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

I have been saying this for years. Iran cannot jump from F-5 or SU-22 to F-35. But idiots on this board refused to listen.

Without new technologies, Iran cannot reverse Engineer and make the jump.

Iran’s drone industry was able to go from Karrar to RQ-170 through capture of RQ-170, Predator, and other Israeli/US drones. Or else Iran would still be stuck with Ababil and Moahjer drones.

I can't see any sane person disagree with you on that

IRGC

1607296177444.png

1607296221796.png

I have been saying this for years. Iran cannot jump from F-5 or SU-22 to F-35. But idiots on this board refused to listen.

Without new technologies, Iran cannot reverse Engineer and make the jump.

Iran’s drone industry was able to go from Karrar to RQ-170 through capture of RQ-170, Predator, and other Israeli/US drones. Or else Iran would still be stuck with Ababil and Moahjer drones.

No one expects a country that has yet to produce an advanced military grade processor to suddenly produce a AESA radar or go from an OwJ(J85) 5,000lbf turbo jet engine to an advanced low by pass 43,000 lbf turbofan engine.

For now the only leap Iran needs to make is to go from an F-5 type Fighter to an F-15 size fighter while using known and duel use tech in electronics to elevate it beyond the original version of the F-15.

In terms of propulsion Iran doesn't need to make the leap into low bypass turbofans just yet, they just need to build a turbojet around an Airframe whos specs are sufficient enough so 2 decades down the line (When your getting ready for mass production) those Air frames can be upgraded with those engines without any major modifications.

As for UAV's & UCAV's that's simply not the case! Iran was working on Jet power UAV's before we shot down the RQ-170 and developing UAV's isn't simply about the Aircraft you need the necessary COM's to go with it, each size aircraft has to have it's own flight computer programed based on the flight characteristics of each class of Airframe and each class would need to have their own automated system or AI to go with, if your adding a weapons bay and offensive capabilities.....

Downing the RQ-170 no doubt helped Iran in the development of highly efficient flying wing designs which no doubt allowed Iran to develop a low cost micro jet powered UCAV's but that doesn't mean Iran would have been stuck on the old Ababil &/or Mohajer without it.

Last edited:
Iran Air Force, IAIO ink coop. pact

TEHRAN, Dec. 12 (MNA) – Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force and Iran Aviation Industries Organization signed a cooperation agreement on Saturday.

The cooperation contract was signed between the managing director of the Iran Aviation Industries Organization (IAIO), a subsidiary of the Defense Ministry General, Afshin Khajeh Fard, and Commander of the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF) Brigadier General Aziz Nasirzadeh.

General Khajeh Fard stated that "the purpose of signing this document is to expand cooperation between the two bodies and increase production in order to supply the items needed by the Air Force, especially in the field of aircraft engines."

He referred to the direct order of the Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Khamenei for improving infrastructure for manufacturing domestic fighters, adding that "We seek to attract the necessary financial resources for development and increasing the capacity of the national "Owj" engine production line in a bid to deliver more engines to the Army Air Force."

Commander Nasirzadeh, for his part, expressed hope that the signing of this agreement would set the bed proper for a new round of cooperation on the construction of jet engines between the IRIAF and the IAIO.
The Islamic Republic of Iran is one of the few countries in the world that, while under sanctions, has managed to design and manufacture advanced training aircraft by relying on its most experienced and talented youth in cooperation with knowledge-based firms and private sector companies, Hatami said in the ceremony.

TEHRAN, Dec. 12 (MNA) – Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force and Iran Aviation Industries Organization signed a cooperation agreement on Saturday.

The cooperation contract was signed between the managing director of the Iran Aviation Industries Organization (IAIO), a subsidiary of the Defense Ministry General, Afshin Khajeh Fard, and Commander of the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF) Brigadier General Aziz Nasirzadeh.

General Khajeh Fard stated that "the purpose of signing this document is to expand cooperation between the two bodies and increase production in order to supply the items needed by the Air Force, especially in the field of aircraft engines."

He referred to the direct order of the Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Khamenei for improving infrastructure for manufacturing domestic fighters, adding that "We seek to attract the necessary financial resources for development and increasing the capacity of the national "Owj" engine production line in a bid to deliver more engines to the Army Air Force."

Commander Nasirzadeh, for his part, expressed hope that the signing of this agreement would set the bed proper for a new round of cooperation on the construction of jet engines between the IRIAF and the IAIO.
The Islamic Republic of Iran is one of the few countries in the world that, while under sanctions, has managed to design and manufacture advanced training aircraft by relying on its most experienced and talented youth in cooperation with knowledge-based firms and private sector companies, Hatami said in the ceremony.

Need for more Owj engines implies that there is a running air plane production line, but for what air plane? Saegeh? Qaher 313? Kowsar? Other?

I would assume some more Iranian made F-5s. People really underestimate this plane.

With a lighter airframe made of modern, synthetic materials, modern engine, avionics and radar systems, it's still a very deadly fighter jet, especially in large numbers. I would say excellent for swarm tactics.

It's cheap and easy to maintain. I wonder how much it costs Iran to build one ? I believe I heard something like $7 million each somewhere, however I'm not certain about that number.

Iran needs to modify them though so they can launch a cruise missile, a smaller one of course. Something like a miniaturized Phoenix/Fakour would be interesting.

You know I always thought that it would be so interesting if an F-5 had delta wings and canards.

Need for more Owj engines implies that there is a running air plane production line, but for what air plane? Saegeh? Qaher 313? Kowsar? Other?

Last edited:

There are multiple candidates this engine can be used for, including its potential use in larger UCAVs. The important point here is Iran starting the mass scale manufacturing cycle of larger sized jet engines. This is a very important development because it trains, develops and expands this very important sector. This means In the future when newer engines are developed, they can enter the mass production cycle much more quickly and seamlessly.

I would assume some more Iranian made F-5s. People really underestimate this plane.

With a lighter airframe made of modern, synthetic materials, modern engine, avionics and radar systems, it's still a very deadly fighter jet, especially in large numbers. I would say excellent for swarm tactics.

It's cheap and easy to maintain. I wonder how much it costs Iran to build one ? I believe I heard something like $7 million each somewhere, however I'm not certain about that number.

Iran needs to modify them though so they can launch a cruise missile, a smaller one of course. Something like a miniaturized Phoenix/Fakour would be interesting.

You know I always thought that it would be so interesting if an F-5 had delta wings and canards.

Yes, like Spear 3 mini cruise missile. Me think such a mini cruise missile is essential cause one can use it with UAV, with fighter-jets and - the thing i will do first if i am chief of Bundeswehr - fired out of canister mounted on top of an APC, integrated in the radar and reconnaissance system of the lokal theater.

I think this analysis of this Chinese pundit is interesting because it could show what will be the path of Iran's aerospace jet engine industry in the next future.
However, for Iran a thing is sure, it won't take 30 years. Because when the F-119 was designed in the early '80s there were no Supercomputers, no 3D printers. China started really the WS-15 program after 2009 when the US decided its "Pivot" politic - the name of their new geostatic stance against China-.

For Iran, honestly, I don't understand the choice of J-85 as the beginning. Because I don't think they will get western's help in foreseeable future. The only help that Iran can hope, it will come from the far east, if not from Russia.
In my view, North Korea will help Iran to design its RD-33, build, and to adapt to your Qaher. Once it will be done, Russia will rush and will ask for Royalties. At this stage, it will be reasonable to think that Russia will help Iran to design its own AL-31. Russia does not have 1000 options, either it helps Iran to design its engine, else China will be happy to help Iran.
Nowadays all Chinese fleet of J-10 and J-11 series -including J-15, and J-16 - are flying with indigenous engines, thus China has now thousands of AL-31, and they don't know what to do with. A good alternative would be to sell them to Iran. However, as Iran does have now a real industrial basis
Iranian elites will ask more in terms of technology transfer, because either they will be helped, or they will design these engines on their own. Maybe the mass production of J-85 is a demonstration and message to Russia and China. Especially if Iran intends to mass-produce the J-79 next.

I was amazed to learn Iran overhauled the SU-22, in order to launch cruise missiles. This is the absolute western nightmare. In that era even the Soviet Union was agreed with the West, not to sell state-of-the-art weapons to their client other than those belonging to Warsaw's Pact. Most of the soviet hardware was downgrade's weaponry. If Iran overhauled successfully the SU-22 in order to embed cruise missiles like the AS-X-15, it does mean Iranians succeeded to replace not only the structure but....the AL-21 too. It would mean Iran is capable to produce the AL-21?

PS- Please, need your help, can you tell me where I can find a good free youtube Chinese transcriptor. To transform Chinese youtube videos into Chinese text Thx for any help.

Attachments

• WS-15China.pdf
    36.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Unfortunately it's Iranian leadership who is overestimating the value and capabilities of this Aircraft and they are miscalculating the cost efficiency of such a Fighter Jets compared to a more expensive more capable fighter

Fact is if your producing a fighter that you know will at best have a 1 to 10 kill ratio (meaning one 4.5Gen enemy kill for every 10 F-5 kosar losses) then that means when calculating the cost everything from the cost of the Aircraft to maintenance hours required per flight hour, to cost of storage and fueling equipment to cost of pilot training and maintenance crew training to the cost of the onboard weapons requirements all need to get multiplied by 10! So it's not as simple as saying this Fighter is 10Milltion USD and 10 of them would be $100M vs a single Su-35 that would cost me $100 million USD. (And I'm not saying that Iran should purchase fighters simply that the fighters we produce ourselves at home need to be far more expensive and more capable fighters because with manned fighters a cheaper fighter jet doesn't necessarily come out cheaper in the long run)

At the end of the day this is an Aircraft that can't even fly 300km outside Iranian Airspace with ordinance on board.

The F-5E is a very light fighter jet with very limited thrust and range. This is a fighter jet with approximately half the empty weight of an F-16 and with those small weak engines there really isn't much thrust to leave room for any major design changes or improvements that would actually be worth the cost.
Fact is J-85 (owj) engines are NOT good engines for use on an armed manned fighter jet especially not in a country as big as Iran.

Back
Top Bottom