What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

A short timeline of the whole F-5 based project:

1987, while still in war the Simorgh/Azarakhsh project was started. Probably initially because spare part stocks were getting low. Maybe something like 5% of very wear-affected spareparts that were not in the depots started already earlier than 1987 but the process of part production beyond wear replacement spare parts started then. The goal was to build enough parts at one point to build a complete airframe. This decision resulted in 30% of all parts by 2001 = 14 years.

2001-2004, it was then that the Saeghe was developed and part production increased by 6% to 36%. The Saeghe was a attempt to also improve air to air capabilities of the project which by now was given up when it comes to aerodynamic improvements that increase maneuvering performance.

2004-2007, a small batch of the Saeghe was produced, getting familiar with a fighter production line. This lead to a 20% higher parts amount in 3 years, pushing it up to 56%. Why such a sudden increase? Likely some key technologies were mastered such as the whole hydraulic and actuator suite got qualified or major air frame sections (relative simply and high number) got qualified.

2007-2012, a increase of parts production by 9% to 65% in 5 years and the unveiling of the Saeghe-2 twin seater, probably by then it was preferred to develop a ground attack twin seat aircraft instead of something for air to air. HOBS WVR missiles make dogfight maneuverability for which a twin tail would bring some limited benefits, unnecessary.

2012-2018, Switch back to single tailfin bomber, trainer and avionics testbed. Parts increase by 23% to 88%, primary due to the use of the indigenized Owj engine, the most difficult single subsystem to master.

Now what are those 12% left? If they count accurately probably the microchips, LCD panels etc. and parts that can be easily bought in open market (LED diodes, transistors etc.) or require a very high number mass production to become economical such as o-rings. I can't think of a part left that would be hard to master and explain the remaining 12% like for example a INS or radar. Maybe they push it for another 5-7% if the production/upgrading reached max. level.

A FBW system (source: RQ-170) is what is left to be developed, plus a PESA/AESA based on 3rd Khordad, Bavar experience. Mastering these will pave the way for future advanced projects.

Last edited:
http://thesaker.is/technology-sitre...made-the-current-operation-in-syria-possible/
I'm quite happy that they claim to have developed a SVP-24 Gefest like system.

The use of this Russian system allowed high altitude bombing with dumb bombs in Syria. With 500-1000kg bombs, a reasonable ensured destruction can be achieved well outside AAA and MANPAD threat altitudes. Plus of course the fact that PGMs are much more expensive.

Whats foremost necessary for such a system is precise navigation, precise accelerometers and much testing. Fortunately navigationwise with the advanced combined INS and GPS it is already well equipped.

A close support, ground attack aircraft with a WSO that controls the weapon system, based on a cheap and low-operation cost airframe like the F-5 PLUS a SVP-24 like system would be a quite good bomb truck in terms of cost-effectiveness.
Its small planar array radar could have a SAR mode for high altitude ground attack.

The decision is not bad. They got rid of the air to air relevant second tail fin and keep it as simple and low cost as possible.
In a Syria like scenario such a bomb truck would be both sufficient and cost effective --> 50-100m CEP bombing from secure high altitude with heavy firepower, dumb Mk.83 and Mk.84 is very welcome in such scenarios.

A short timeline of the whole F-5 based project:

1987, while still in war the Simorgh/Azarakhsh project was started. Probably initially because spare part stocks were getting low. Maybe something like 5% of very wear-affected spareparts that were not in the depots started already earlier than 1987 but the process of part production beyond wear replacement spare parts started then. The goal was to build enough parts at one point to build a complete airframe. This decision resulted in 30% of all parts by 2001 = 14 years.

2001-2004, it was then that the Saeghe was developed and part production increased by 6% to 36%. The Saeghe was a attempt to also improve air to air capabilities of the project which by now was given up when it comes to aerodynamic improvements that increase maneuvering performance.

2004-2007, a small batch of the Saeghe was produced, getting familiar with a fighter production line. This lead to a 20% higher parts amount in 3 years, pushing it up to 56%. Why such a sudden increase? Likely some key technologies were mastered such as the whole hydraulic and actuator suite got qualified or major air frame sections (relative simply and high number) got qualified.

2007-2012, a increase of parts production by 9% to 65% in 5 years and the unveiling of the Saeghe-2 twin seater, probably by then it was preferred to develop a ground attack twin seat aircraft instead of something for air to air. HOBS WVR missiles make dogfight maneuverability for which a twin tail would bring some limited benefits, unnecessary.

2012-2018, Switch back to single tailfin bomber, trainer and avionics testbed. Parts increase by 23% to 88%, primary due to the use of the indigenized Owj engine, the most difficult single subsystem to master.

Now what are those 12% left? If they count accurately probably the microchips, LCD panels etc. and parts that can be easily bought in open market (LED diodes, transistors etc.) or require a very high number mass production to become economical such as o-rings. I can't think of a part left that would be hard to master and explain the remaining 12% like for example a INS or radar. Maybe they push it for another 5-7% if the production/upgrading reached max. level.

A FBW system (source: RQ-170) is what is left to be developed, plus a PESA/AESA based on 3rd Khordad, Bavar experience. Mastering these will pave the way for future advanced projects.

the radar is made in iran they show the radar. without any information or details

Some of you are asking what is this obessession with F-5. You actually need to blame, Iran’s pilots NOT the government or the Air Force. Iran’s pilot LOVE I repeat LOVE the F-5, thus you see an Air Force that is catering to making sure their beloved F-5 stay battlefield relevant.

This was not the Kosar (psycho ops). This is the Saeghe III. This is in fact not a new project it was announced over 3 years ago.

I would expect a small amount 6-12 to be made (like Saeghe I & II) to test out the new features over a period of time.This is merely an optimization block for F-5.

I would expect Saeghe IV in another ~3-5 years If another “block” of upgrades is deemed necessary.

I am not sure why any Iranian was expecting anything other than another F-5 modification?
It is the only aircraft Iran is capable of producing in a modified form; even with spares and long term experience it cannot do the same with the F-14 since it does not have access to required tooling and materials due to sanctions.

The true potential that the industry has in indigenous airframes was lost to sanctions& negligence in the 90’s. Add to this the disastrous usage of R&D platforms and funding for laughable propoganda that left actual useful projects starved of funds.

the radar is made in iran they show the radar. without any information or details
Do you have a picture of it ?

The Radar is one thing that decide the plane is useful or no in air combat. All those avionics if not coupled with a modern RADAR serve no porpuse at all.

The Radar is one thing that decide the plane is useful or no in air combat. All those avionics if not coupled with a modern RADAR serve no porpuse at all.
If I get it, I will publish the photo here

Untitled2.jpg
Untitled1.jpg

I apologize for the low quality of the photo

I am not sure why any Iranian was expecting anything other than another F-5 modification?
It is the only aircraft Iran is capable of producing in a modified form; even with spares and long term experience it cannot do the same with the F-14 since it does not have access to required tooling and materials due to sanctions.

The true potential that the industry has in indigenous airframes was lost to sanctions& negligence in the 90’s. Add to this the disastrous usage of R&D platforms and funding for laughable propoganda that left actual useful projects starved of funds.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Iran has several aircraft projects in development.

The problem is people have unrealistic expectations and expect Qaher or sofreh mahi or heavy fighter to be unveiled in 2-3 years. Those projects will take 10+ years from start to finish.

The F-5 modernization program has been going on since 1990’s and Iranian pilots love the F-5. So unless you are somehow more experienced than a airforce pilot who has fought in actual war time scenarios, you can’t really call something garbage.

Furthermore, the F-5 modernization program is not a waste of funds as it keeps the fleet modern till 2030-2035 retirement and allows a platform to test its avionics and electronics suite.

Iran has been able to master flying wing design on UAV’s which is very difficult. Iran is the only country in Middle East to have flying wing UAVs.

So I don’t doubt that Iran has fighter jets in development, however, I don’t think it’s realistic to expect them before 2025. Not even Japan or Britain can bring a completely new fighter to production in under 10 years.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Iran has several aircraft projects in development.

The problem is people have unrealistic expectations and expect Qaher or sofreh mahi or heavy fighter to be unveiled in 2-3 years. Those projects will take 10+ years from start to finish.

The F-5 modernization program has been going on since 1990’s and Iranian pilots love the F-5. So unless you are somehow more experienced than a airforce pilot who has fought in actual war time scenarios, you can’t really call something garbage.

Furthermore, the F-5 modernization program is not a waste of funds as it keeps the fleet modern till 2030-2035 retirement and allows a platform to test its avionics and electronics suite.

Iran has been able to master flying wing design on UAV’s which is very difficult. Iran is the only country in Middle East to have flying wing UAVs.

So I don’t doubt that Iran has fighter jets in development, however, I don’t think it’s realistic to expect them before 2025. Not even Japan or Britain can bring a completely new fighter to production in under 10 years.
I think I have an idea and am presenting it honestly, you aren’t.
The Qaher is a laughable propoganda piece using car electronics in the mockup and a RC model. In todays world of CFD and virtual systems, RC models are an obsolete method of understanding performance.

As for the rest, I do not see where I let down the F-5 modernization; just highlighting that it is the only avenue in aircraft manufacturing that Iran can pursue due to pre-existing infrastructure and general simplicity of the airframe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom