What's new

Iraq's war against IS terrorism | Updates and Discussions

Locals telling the ISF whom amongst them are IS. Qayyarah city.

Attack towards Qayyarah

Bell 407 engaging IS and being engaged by IS with MANPAD

What happened to mandpad missile? I didn't understand what did stop it but good it was stopped !

Qayyarah, a city in Nineveh province has been liberated by the ISF after they launched an assault from multiple directions earlier today.

Qayyarah, a city in Nineveh province has been liberated by the ISF after they launched an assault from multiple directions earlier today.
One thing i have always wondered is, and forgive my ignorance; how was it possible for Iraqi forces to flee from Mosul and Ramadi when isis arrived/emerged? Has this completely been investigated by now? What was the testimony or reason(s) of the responsible person for issuing the command to retreat/flee?

One thing i have always wondered is, and forgive my ignorance; how was it possible for Iraqi forces to flee from Mosul and Ramadi when isis arrived/emerged? Has this completely been investigated by now? What was the testimony or reason(s) of the responsible person for issuing the command to retreat/flee?

They recently investigated the June 2014 collapse though I haven't read on it much or saw the video with the defense minister explaining though I know a couple of points.

Treason by the top generals and other commanders, the former Nineveh governor has always been working against the state and army. The parliament was squeezing and corrupting the armed forces (this info is comes from both the former and current defense ministers), corruption and sabotage against new arms deals. Grip over many area's was already weak before June 2014. Mosul for example had a lot of hidden ISIS presence inside the city, evidence exists of large scale extortion against the residents before June 2014 as to give an example. Aside from that, many Sunnis welcomed IS.

I believe @Alshawi1234 can tell you better about that part.

As for Ramadi:

Before the fall of Ramadi in early 2015, US officials along with certain Iraqi officials decided that Shi'ite groups (PMF) should retreat from Ramadi for US to provide air support. The PMF followed gov orders and pulled out from Ramadi, eventually defensive lines fell and IS managed to push through. US air support was nowhere, the US watched IS enter the city.

Chief of Staff Gen. Martin Dempsey before the fall of Ramadi

Transcript of the vid below:

"The city itself it's not symbolic in any way, it has not been declared part of the caliphate or central to the future of Iraq.... I would much rather that Ramadi would not fall, but it won't be the end of the campaign would it fall, we've got to get it back."

0:35

This was the major IS convoy entering Ramadi, was the US really incapable of destroying that? They knew what was going on, they let it happen on purpose.
28D3FDBB00000578-3085486-image-a-28_1431965907871.jpg

Aside from that the local police fled the city once the situation became dangerous whilst ISOF and army units remained, the same police units returned a week later when the situation calmed.. only to repeat the same thing later. Though in this case i'm not sure if I should blame the local police, in the end they are merely local police. Not federal police which fought in Fallujah but poorly armed regular police units. As a result of this the PMF takes part in all battles, US doesn't object that anymore given their failure to keep to their promise before in Ramadi.

About 5,000 local police officers, nearly the entire force, had left their positions as fear engulfed the capital of Anbar province last week, according to Staff Maj. Gen. Mohammed Khalaf Saeed, acting head of Anbar Operations Command. At the height of the panic, just 1,000 security forces, including army and counterterrorism troops, were left to protect multiple front lines, he said.

Source:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...8e7b44-e8f0-11e4-8581-633c536add4b_story.html

This is also a reason why the PMF is now an official force in the ISF, a second military unit aside from the army. This provides a counter-measure in possible coups/treason etc. If command in a unit even if on army scale such as in June 2014 decides to betray for example, the other force under it's own command remains unaffected.

They recently investigated the June 2014 collapse though I haven't read on it much or saw the video with the defense minister explaining though I know a couple of points.

Treason by the top generals and other commanders, the former Nineveh governor has always been working against the state and army. The parliament was squeezing and corrupting the armed forces (this info is comes from both the former and current defense ministers), corruption and sabotage against new arms deals. Grip over many area's was already weak before June 2014. Mosul for example had a lot of hidden ISIS presence inside the city, evidence exists of large scale extortion against the residents before June 2014 as to give an example. Aside from that, many Sunnis welcomed IS.

I believe @Alshawi1234 can tell you better about that part.

As for Ramadi:

Before the fall of Ramadi in early 2015, US officials along with certain Iraqi officials decided that Shi'ite groups (PMF) should retreat from Ramadi for US to provide air support. The PMF followed gov orders and pulled out from Ramadi, eventually defensive lines fell and IS managed to push through. US air support was nowhere, the US watched IS enter the city.

Chief of Staff Gen. Martin Dempsey before the fall of Ramadi

Transcript of the vid below:

"The city itself it's not symbolic in any way, it has not been declared part of the caliphate or central to the future of Iraq.... I would much rather that Ramadi would not fall, but it won't be the end of the campaign would it fall, we've got to get it back."

0:35

This was the major IS convoy entering Ramadi, was the US really incapable of destroying that? They knew what was going on, they let it happen on purpose.
28D3FDBB00000578-3085486-image-a-28_1431965907871.jpg

Aside from that the local police fled the city once the situation became dangerous whilst ISOF and army units remained, the same police units returned a week later when the situation calmed.. only to repeat the same thing later. Though in this case i'm not sure if I should blame the local police, in the end they are merely local police. Not federal police which fought in Fallujah but poorly armed regular police units. As a result of this the PMF takes part in all battles, US doesn't object that anymore given their failure to keep to their promise before in Ramadi.

About 5,000 local police officers, nearly the entire force, had left their positions as fear engulfed the capital of Anbar province last week, according to Staff Maj. Gen. Mohammed Khalaf Saeed, acting head of Anbar Operations Command. At the height of the panic, just 1,000 security forces, including army and counterterrorism troops, were left to protect multiple front lines, he said.

Source:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...8e7b44-e8f0-11e4-8581-633c536add4b_story.html

This is also a reason why the PMF is now an official force in the ISF, a second military unit aside from the army. This provides a counter-measure in possible coups/treason etc. If command in a unit even if on army scale such as in June 2014 decides to betray for example, the other force under it's own command remains unaffected.
Thanks for your effort and time, it was insightful. I sincerely hope that Iraq will recover fast, especially since Iraq never deserved this suffering as a result of the US' BS excuse to force its way into Iraq on illegal grounds.

Internal stability is very important, i hope your state will root out any unsupportive governer or public servant that is supposed to be serving the nation and even gets his/her salary paid by all the people. And that many sunnis welcomed (still welcome?) isis is also very worrisome and not understandable for me if they supported willingly.

How is the current trend though? Is there more unity (between sunni and shia) in the country against isis? or is it becoming even worse than before 2014?

Even after reading this the move of US makes no sense. Couldn't the US provide air support while the PMF was defending the city? After all, isis was coming from outside the city, so why couldn't the US provide support while PMF was waiting in the city?

It just feels as if the US is directly/indirectly responsible for isis' growth in Iraq. How can the US with its intelligence, technology, experience and overall strong military allow such major screw ups. i also wonder how can isis travel from place to place in big columns of toyotas. Can't the US detect them and blow them up?

I also wonder how does isis get shiny new Toyotas? How do they get food supply (farming? trade?)? Ammunition? Can't the US cut their logistics since the last 2 years? It feels as if US just pretends to be fighting isis, but in reality it just does little and nothing major at all (correct me if i'm wrong).

I don't know how i would feel about those local cops. Rationally i wouldn't blame the local police either. Maybe they are lightly armed, young and/or unexperienced. Emotionally it is disappointing to hear that they leave their posts instead of doing their work honorably and stand shoulder to shoulder with the rest, especially in times like this.

Thanks for your effort and time, it was insightful. I sincerely hope that Iraq will recover fast, especially since Iraq never deserved this suffering as a result of the US' BS excuse to force its way into Iraq on illegal grounds.

Internal stability is very important, i hope your state will root out any unsupportive governer or public servant that is supposed to be serving the nation and even gets his/her salary paid by all the people. And that many sunnis welcomed (still welcome?) isis is also very worrisome and not understandable for me if they supported willingly.

How is the current trend though? Is there more unity (between sunni and shia) in the country against isis? or is it becoming even worse than before 2014?

IS has united the people more and in my opinion divided the politicians more as well. The same Sunnis that welcomed IS have tasted life under their rule, as a result the people of Anbar have called for and worked with the PMF, some (Shi'ite militia factions). Complaints exist but there's a propaganda war going on as well which makes it hard to filter BS from real information. The arrival of IS created 'opportunities' for politicians with personal agendas, there has been a lot of lobbying in US congress and other institutions in attempts to push through these agendas, mainly in 2014 and 2015.. It is too late for that now given that the last major stronghold is Mosul of which it's operation is in the stage of preparation.

The people are more united than before. The problem lies with the decision-makers, the executive, judiciary and legislative branches are corrupt to the core. Aside from corruption there are for

Even after reading this the move of US makes no sense. Couldn't the US provide air support while the PMF was defending the city? After all, isis was coming from outside the city, so why couldn't the US provide support while PMF was waiting in the city?

It just feels as if the US is directly/indirectly responsible for isis' growth in Iraq. How can the US with its intelligence, technology, experience and overall strong military allow such major screw ups. i also wonder how can isis travel from place to place in big columns of toyotas. Can't the US detect them and blow them up?

I also wonder how does isis get shiny new Toyotas? How do they get food supply (farming? trade?)? Ammunition? Can't the US cut their logistics since the last 2 years? It feels as if US just pretends to be fighting isis, but in reality it just does little and nothing major at all (correct me if i'm wrong).

I don't know how i would feel about those local cops. Rationally i wouldn't blame the local police either. Maybe they are lightly armed, young and/or unexperienced. Emotionally it is disappointing to hear that they leave their posts instead of doing their work honorably and stand shoulder to shoulder with the rest, especially in times like this.

Ramadi was contested for over a year, IS was in control of certain outskirts and eventually certain neighborhoods (until their full hold over the city). Sleeper cells were present in certain neighborhoods. The front lines between IS and ISF weren't distant. Though it was a stale mate situation, until the US insisted on withdrawing the PMF. That allowed for the fall of the city, they did withdraw but for some unknown reason the US did not use it's air force to step in and keep it's promise of increased air support, in fact they did nothing. Their chief of staff Dempsey even called Ramadi insignificant before its fall.

Before the fall of Ramadi, from the link below.

The defeat was a political disaster for the United States, which had provided air cover. Iraqi officials said the Americans had insisted on leaving the defence of Ramadi to local Sunni tribes, the army and the US-led coalition, rather than sending in the Hashed al-Sha’abi, which mainly comprises Shia militias allied to Iran.

In his interview, Mr Ameri made no bones about the implications of Ramadi’s fall.

“The Americans told Anbar not to let the Hashed in, and that they would guarantee Ramadi wouldn’t fall to Isil,” he said, asking why he should waste the lives of his men on a swift attempt to retake it for political reasons.

Source:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...Isil-Iraqs-strongman-militia-leader-says.html

US hasn't been in a hurry, they haven't used all their powers either. According to an ISOF force on the ground it's only till Russia stepped in Syria that they became more serious in supporting the ISF with air power. The Kurds received most of the air support from the beginning on, as CJTF-OIR aerial bombardment reports confirm. If they were serious as they were in the 1991 Gulf war IS wouldn't last that long.

2:30

About the Toyota's I don't know for sure.

@f1000n i believe I wrote a detailed story about the events which led to IS takeover long ago. To lazy to dig through or type another one :/.

Some very great achievements this week.

Khaldiyah peninsulah is finally liberated. The reason why the op there took longer is because all Surviving IS members from fallujah, Ramadi and eastern Anbar are trapped there. An estimated 1500 fighters in total.

The last area remaining is cleared or at least close to being cleared. IS was surrounded in around 300 homes. literally hundreds of IS bodies have been found either in the open or in some cases buried inside the houses/ yards.

Many foreign fighters are trapped and killed as well.

--------
--------

Southern Nineveh.

ICTF Spearheaded the operation to storm Qayara. The city was liberated after 3 days of fighting.

IS burned a few oils wells to divert the aviation and air force. However, it did little to stop the iraqi army offensive.

IS in northern Sallahiddin and Hawijah in Kirkuk are now totally besieged. They are living in a nightmare and expecting iraqi forces to advance towards them any minute.

Shirqat is expected to be the next target.

Videos from Qayara. IS lost about 40 fighters inside the town in direct gunfights, that's other then the few vihicles which were taken out by the Air Force as the fled.

Last edited:
Hundreds of IS fighters have been killed in the Khalidiya Island operation, it was the safe zone for IS escapees from Fallujah and Karma until its recent liberation.

Not ISOF/Golden division related, they're another force outside the army.

--

US Soldiers in Iraq Seek to Turn Volunteers into Iraqi Rangers

Soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division are running a Ranger-style training program for Iraqi forces at Camp Taji near Baghdad to develop advanced warfighting skills among selected Iraqi army officers and enlisted personnel.

The Ranger training program, led by Company A, 1st Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment, Task Force Strike, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), since May, is based on the U.S. Army's Ranger training program established in 1951 at Fort Benning, Georgia, according to an Army press release.

"This program is important because it lays the foundation for an elite Iraqi unit," said Capt. Peter Jacob, commander of Company A. "Students start at day one as an individual and come away at the end of this course as part of a team."

U.S. Army Ranger School is a 62-day course that's described as the service's premier infantry leadership course, an ordeal that pushes students to their physical and mental limits.

During the grueling course, U.S. Ranger candidates are exposed to everything from fitness and swim tests, to land navigation exercises and a 12-mile foot march, to obstacle courses and parachute jumps, to mountaineering tests and mock patrols -- all on limited food and sleep.

Though based on the U.S. Army's Ranger training program, Company A trainers incorporate aspects from other advanced programs as well, according to the release.

"The program itself starts with a 21-day selection process similar to Special Forces selection," said Jacob, himself a graduate of the U.S Army Ranger school. "It's a [24-hour-a-day] operation where our cadre go out and validate each student, no matter what the rank."

This process helps narrow down the number of trainees as they start their multi-layered journey.

"You can already see the discipline of the soldiers," said 2nd Lt. Gregg Bernthal, a platoon leader in Company A. "The selection process weeds out those who do not have the intestinal fortitude to stay and fight. The separation from normal, basic soldiers is the rigorous selection process they go through to become Iraqi Rangers."

The exhaustive selection process is just the beginning. Candidates proceed to the next of many levels designed to challenge them.

"There are exercises done to test memory and intellect and the physical aspect along the lines of [U.S Army] Ranger school where they will conduct various team-building exercises," Bernthal said.

"The students also must be physically fit and be able to understand infantry tactics. Even if they make it through all of the physical and intellectual challenges, they still have to participate in a selection board at the end of the process. The board reviews performance throughout the class, and a panel of U.S. and Iraqi officials determine the eligibility of the candidate."

After selection is complete, students move into advanced individual training, where they refine their skills in classes led by their trainers. To pass exercises such as the rifle qualification range, they must meet U.S. Army standards, according to the release.

"[Advanced individual training] is a program that begins the training from basic rifle marksmanship all the way to a culminating event," Jacob said. "The culminating event includes live-fire exercises as teams, squads, and platoons."

With advanced individual training under their belts, Ranger students are split into specialty training, which includes advanced marksmanship, sniper training, medical training and heavy weapons training, Jacob said.

During one training exercise, students took the lead and taught a room-clearing class to one another, while American trainers watched. They practiced on glass houses and then moved to room clearing in an actual building the next day.

As Company A produces more Iraqi Rangers, the importance of the mission to build partner capacity is apparent -- especially as Iraqi Security Forces continue their push to retake territory from Da'esh, said Bernthal, using another name for the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria.

"[Iraqi Rangers are] go-getters, and I think that in itself is a success story," Bernthal said. "Having well-trained leaders is going to be extremely important in the fight.

"Because Da'esh has been dug in for so long now, the Iraqis are going to have to think on their toes. There's going to be a lot of different situations that they find themselves in. Good training is always something that the Iraqi soldiers in this course will be able to fall back on."

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...ek-to-turn-volunteers-into-iraqi-rangers.html

One of several former IS weapons factories in Fallujah

With a Dubai license plate, i've no idea how that ended up there. Saudi license plates are found almost weekly. A SANG uniform was found on a IS member as well months ago, the Saudi-Iraq border must not be as secured as people are being told.

45 Killed in Iraq; More U.S. Troops Arrive

More than 400 additional U.S. servicemembers were deployed to Iraq in the last week, bringing the number of U.S. troops officially stationed in Iraq to 4,460 in total. Their orders were not made public, but it is assumed they will be working with local forces on their plans to invade Mosul. Lieutenant General Stephen Townsend, commander of the US-led coalition, described the upcoming offensive as a “siege.” Gen. Maan Al Saedi, a commander in Iraq’s counter-terrorism forces, the offensive could begin as early as October.

Hussein Yazdanpana, the commander of the Kurdistan Freedom Party (P.A.K.), revealed that the Iranian Kurdish militia received military training from U.S. and European instructors. They were able to obtain the training, because they operate under the authority of the Iraqi Kurdish forces. However, the faction also stages attacks in Iran, and it is unclear how the Iranian government will react to the news. Maj. Josh T. Jacques, a spokesman for U.S. Central Command said he was unaware of the P.A.K. receiving the training.

A spokesman for the Shi’ite militias fighting in Khalidiya Island said they were still conducting cleansing operations of denied rumors of their retreat.

At least 45 were killed and 16 were wounded:

Militants executed 12 people in Tal Afar.

In Baghdad, a bomb at a market in Sabaa al-Bour left one dead and eight wounded. Two people were killed and five were wounded in a bombing in Furat.

At the Khazar frontline, mortars killed two Peshmerga and wounded three more.

Eleven militants were killed in Baker.

Peshmerga forces killed 10 militants in Sinjar.

Seven militants were killed in strikes near Haditha and Hit.

http://original.antiwar.com/updates/2016/09/08/45-killed-iraq-u-s-troops-arrive/

It is a known fact that Al-Qaeda and Taliban are the creations of the CIA. They were created at a time when America needed them to fight as their proxies in Afghanistan against the Russian bear.

Just off topic Iraq is only middle East county tries where there is no.monopoly of Pepsi coke they have their own crystal cola :-)

Back
Top Bottom