What's new

Iraq's war against IS terrorism | Updates and Discussions

It's some PMF leaders and other politicians that oppose support.

Officially the gov requested air support from the US, this grew into a larger coalition and ground training/different support. Only recently it has grown to battalion level advise and air support from Apaches. In Iraq they are there legally by Iraq's gov request. In Syria they are uninvited by the officially recognized gov.
I'm AWARE of that this guy trying to give most of the credit to their air support that kill many Iraqi soldiers.
WE SHOULD ALL FIGHT TERRORISM WITHOUT TAKING POINTS OR COLLECTING CREDITS.

@Malik Alashter @f1000n

For a while I've been thinking about Mosul operation that Iraqi Gov has promised to carry out by the end of this year (I don't know if it's about to be done as it's gotten planned or not ) and I wanted to open a thread about it but due to lack of time I couldn't ... by the way what concerns me the most ain't ISIS but mostly what you guys are gonna do after liberation .. surely ISIS would not get vanished easily by just capturing the city it just would become the prior state before being occupied by ISIS ... they would go to desert like what ALQ and Taliban did back in 2001 in Afghanistan and would plan suicidal and terrorists attacks from there ....
But again it doesn't concern me that much terrorist groups could be crushed and suppressed by a strong local forces , but the point is I don't think that what made ISIS strong enough to recruit and attack Iraqi cities back in 2014 has got changed that much and until that day things do not work out as you might have hoped .....
On the other hand many groups such as Kurds, Iraqi army and Shia militia besides Sunnis are gonna participate in this upcoming operation which make it harder and harder for you guys to manage situation ... I am afraid that things turn ugly ....

Even if Baghdad takes Mosul(basically destroy it like they did with Ramadi...)the country will continue to be unstable for decades

Iraqi army says it reached center of key town (Shirqat) south of Mosul

r

Iraq's military backed by air strikes from a U.S.-led coalition on Thursday seized the center of Shirqat, a northern town seen as a stepping stone in the campaign to recapture Mosul from Islamic State.
The army, backed by local police and Sunni Muslim tribal fighters, were still clashing with the ultra-hardline jihadists after taking control of the mayor's office, the municipal building and the hospital, said a source from the Salahuddin Operations Command, which oversees military operations in the area.
Shirqat, on the Tigris river 100 km (60 miles) south of Mosul, has been surrounded by Iraqi troops and Iranian-backed Shi'ite Muslim militias allied to the government but the militias so far have not participated in the operation.

Iraqi forces have advanced swiftly through the Shirqat area since Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi announced the operation on Tuesday morning.
The town's proximity to Iraqi supply lines reaching Qayyara airbase further north, which will be used as a logistics hub for the push on Mosul, lends it strategic importance. A rocket attack on Tuesday that came within hundreds of meters of U.S. forces at the base is being tested for chemical agents.
Remaining Islamic State fighters in Shirqat are resisting in groups of three and four from inside houses, according to the Iraqi operations command source, who said three army personnel had been killed in recent hours.
Tens of thousands of civilians were thought to be trapped in the area, which has been under Islamic State control since the group seized a third of Iraqi territory in 2014. But the operation has not generated the large-scale displacement seen in other recent campaigns.

A spokesman for the United Nations refugee agency UNHCR said there had been no displacement on Tuesday and only 32 people dislodged from their homes on Wednesday.
Iraqi authorities hope the course of the battle will allow most residents to shelter in place to avoid creating a humanitarian crisis as forces move toward Mosul, where more than a million people are still living.

U.S. and Iraqi officials have said the push on Mosul could begin in October, though there are concerns that not enough planning has been done for how to manage the city, Iraq's second-largest, if and when Islamic State is expelled.
Hawija, east of Shirqat, is the other remaining Islamic State bastion south of Mosul. The group also controls the city of Tel Afar, west of Mosul towards the Syrian border.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-iraq-shirqat-idUSKCN11S0MW

All of Shirqat has been liberated from IS. In Anbar, Jazirat Haditha has been taken within 24 hours and Shirqat in just over 48hrs.

I don't see what other force that fights IS on the ground is able to take cities in such a short amount of time, neither any local or foreign military force that operate in Syria without naming any.

Using that logic, Africans , people from SEA, Latin America who were all under western occupation at some point will still be fighting and killing each other while blaming the west. Imperial Japan will still be killing each other for sectarian reasons after the WWII U.S invasion as well if they had this sectarian mindset. instead of coming together to rebuild their country like they did.

What are you talking about? Africa is a mess. Africa has 10 times the problem of m.e., they just don't make the news as much.

How come you only post news positive for IS, it tells something

The war is sectarian. Its not against "ISIS" only. So unless you have solid plans to massacre all sunni Arabs in Iraq(20% of the population)and all sunni arabs in Syria(70% of the population)then war will continue. I dont even count Kurds. They are protected by US and its like they are already independent

The Tikrit incident is a rare attack aimed to boost IS morals, just about they are about to loose the last few remaining towns and villages in Sallahiddin province.

8 martyrs and two dozen injured, majority of them are actually local police (sunni policemen from tikrit and nearby areas) hopefully that fits in the pea sized brain of Giankall.

Now news from the front lines. The west side of the Tigris river is nearly all cleared from Qayara to shirqat. Iraqi forces have also retaken the strategy. Town of zawiayah and continue to move to the east side of the river. Completely isolating hawijah.

The shirqat op were conducted by the ISF, PMF including the local (sunni) PMF units.

The hardest and main front in the op was given to local Sunni PMF, which is a turning point since in most other operation, local forces were mainly used to hold the ground after liberation. But this time they spearheaded they operations in partnership with the Army.

The PMF helped secure the nearby areas and surround the town but were told not to enter the town because of US pressure. However, when the battles raged, the sunni PMF units sent a request for them to push in and back them up. IS didn't last a couple of hours before getting defeated and withdrawing to the east side of the Tigris.

Operations are ongoing.

In Anbar. Iraqi forces and backed by the jughaifa, al-obaid, Albu Nimr and few other tribes have led a massive operation the capture the entire desert region in eastern Anbar. So far the baghdadi, hit, Haditha, barwana surrounding areas have been cleared.

Iraqi forces continue advancing through the desert west towards the Ramadi peninsula. The Aim is to regain all the desert region from Haditha, to Sallahiddin

The war is sectarian. Its not against "ISIS" only. So unless you have solid plans to massacre all sunni Arabs in Iraq(20% of the population)and all sunni arabs in Syria(70% of the population)then war will continue. I dont even count Kurds. They are protected by US and its like they are already independent

Right, u enlightened me..

Iraqis should actually abandon that religion, almost all of their 'brothers and sisters' wish them death.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom