What's new

Iraq calls for faster arms deliveries, nears F-16 deal

mosu

Reaction score
Iraq called for the US to speed up its weapons deliveries on Thursday as the two countries near a deal on a second set of 18 F-16s, days after Baghdad signed $4.2 billion in arms deals with Moscow.

The contracts with Russia made the country Iraq's second-biggest defence supplier after the United States, as Baghdad looks to build up its military, which it admits is unable to adequately protect its borders, airspace or maritime territory after US forces withdrew from the country last year.

Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki pushed for faster deliveries from Washington during talks in Baghdad with Deputy Secretary of Defence Ashton Carter, focusing on an initial set of 18 F-16 fighter jets, currently due for delivery in 2014.

Maliki spoke of the "need for the Iraqi army to develop its defensive abilities to protect Iraq's security and national sovereignty," a statement from his office said.

He urged the United States to "speed up the arming of the Iraqi army with what they need in terms of defensive weapons that can protect the sovereignty of Iraq and its independence, and provide a deterrent towards any assault."

It added that Carter told Maliki he had come to Iraq to discuss Baghdad's defence and counter-terror needs, and he told the premier that US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta would visit Baghdad soon for similar reasons.

The premier's spokesman Ali Mussawi told AFP that Maliki in particular pressed for quicker delivery of 18 F-16s, which Iraq had hoped would arrive next year but US officials have said will only be ready by 2014.

Mussawi said Maliki and Carter agreed on further bilateral talks on how to speed up delivery of the fighter jets.

Carter's visit came soon after Deputy National Security Adviser Dennis McDonough met with top Iraqi officials in Baghdad, discussing the ongoing violence in Baghdad's western neighbour Syria but also how the US and Iraq could improve their partnership, including on counterterrorism.

Baghdad and Washington, meanwhile, appear close to sealing a deal for a second set of 18 F-16 fighter planes, but US embassy spokesman Frank Finver said the agreement had not been finalised.

"The United States recently presented the government of Iraq with a Letter of Acceptance for a second tranche of 18 F-16 fighter jets and we await confirmation of their acceptance of that LOA," he said in an e-mail.

"The United States would welcome Iraqi acceptance as another important step in our growing bilateral security assistance relationship."

Acting Defence Minister Saadun al-Dulaimi, meanwhile, told reporters that Iraq was also interested in Apache helicopters and anti-aircraft weaponry, according to remarks broadcast on state television.

The latest announcements came after Russia unveiled $4.2 billion in arms deals with Iraq on October 9.

Russian media said the deliveries -- expected to have been signed in a single package this week -- covered 30 Mi-28 attack helicopters and 42 Pantsir-S1 surface-to-air missile systems.

Discussions were also said to be underway for Iraq's eventual acquisition of a large batch of Russian MiG-29 fighters and helicopters along with heavy weaponry.

Due to iran nuclear plant,usa already in bad mood and now whats the deal............. any link....

That new government in Iraq... total hpyocrites

They want Migs29s from Russia and F16IQs from USA, which is also idiotic :)

I think Iraq will arm itself to teeth and will not be a push over country.

I agree. After seeing a decade of unrest, I think this time Iraq will be ready with a more rational weapons acquisition program instead of just buying everything that is being offered. Saddam's air force was very irrational in its choice of combat aircraft when it chose to arm itself with more Foxhounds than MiG-29s which if were in sufficient quantities, could have played havoc with US and allied air force jets just as East German pilots manhandled NATO air forces during their combat exercises.

Not only in the air but his land and water defense acquisitions were based more on personal choice or liking rather than technical qualification of that particular platform.

Iraq is a good friend of India and we hope that this time they don't make the same mistake of arming on the basis of personal choices and instead look at hardcore technical nitty-gritties before committing to any purchase. :tup:

The modernized Mi-28N Night Hunter was an excellent choice once again. 30 of those is a good start.

However, I personally feel that Iraq must disassociate itself a bit with just sticking to Russian or American weaponry 100%. It should also look into acquisition programs from countries like:

1- Sweden

Products: MOS, Gripen jets, SAAB 340 AEW, Carl Gustav recoilless rifles, Archer artillery system etc.

2- Finland

Products: Patria APC, etc.

3- South Africa

Denel Rooikat, NTW-20 rifles etc.

4- Singapore

SSPH Howitzer, SAR-21 assault rifles etc.

5- Czech Republic

Aero L-159 Super Albatross etc.

7- Spain

CASA-295 transport aircraft

8- Italy

Alenia C-27J Super Spartan transport aircraft.

9- Turkey

Otokar Cobra, Altay MBT (near future), Kaya etc.

10- Azerbaijan

Istiglal snipers etc.

These are just some of the few examples I can think of. And it is best that Iraq sources majority platforms from smaller powers that are neutral, reliable and have enough that meet Iraqi defense requirements.

That new government in Iraq... total hpyocrites

They want Migs29s from Russia and F16IQs from USA, which is also idiotic :)

Again, you must know that Iraq has had a rather poor understanding of choosing weapons platforms carefully. It has relied on personal choice rather than technical capabilities.

A better choice would have been F-16IQs as a low mix with Su-35BM as a higher end fighter for the entire air force with trainers from Czech Republic or some other reliable but smaller source. While for Army, tanks should come from again a country that hasn't directly been involved in the power struggle or conflict in Iraq like maybe you guys or Germans or maybe even Koreans.

I just hope that Maliki government thinks through their immature air force choice and reconsiders the current favorites to something more practical and relevant in Iraqi context.

Again, you must know that Iraq has had a rather poor understanding of choosing weapons platforms carefully. It has relied on personal choice rather than technical capabilities.

A better choice would have been F-16IQs as a low mix with Su-35BM as a higher end fighter for the entire air force with trainers from Czech Republic or some other reliable but smaller source. While for Army, tanks should come from again a country that hasn't directly been involved in the power struggle or conflict in Iraq like maybe you guys or Germans or maybe even Koreans.

I just hope that Maliki government thinks through their immature air force choice and reconsiders the current favorites to something more practical and relevant in Iraqi context.

Don't you get it? F-16s for thourgh inspection by Iran. And Mig29s for spare parts of Iranian almost dead fleet of Mig29s. Iraqi requirements has nothing to do with this.

Today I met an Iraqi in Taksim- Istanbul and we had a chat for a good 2 hours this afternoon. It was eye watering.

Don't you get it? F-16s for thourgh inspection by Iran. And Mig29s for spare parts of Iranian almost dead fleet of Mig29s. Iraqi requirements has nothing to do with this.

Today I met an Iraqi in Taksim- Istanbul and we had a chat for a good 2 hours this afternoon. It was eye watering.

what did he say ?

So you're saying that Iraq has officially done this to ensure a steady supply of weapons spares for Iran? I am sure that importing MiG-29 parts should not be an issue for Iran though F-16 maybe a different case for thorough inspection.

So you're saying that Iraq has officially done this to ensure a steady supply of weapons spares for Iran? I am sure that importing MiG-29 parts should not be an issue for Iran though F-16 maybe a different case for thorough inspection.

Apparently the Americans couldn't put a finger on that ! :blink:

US should think twice as Iran is going to get a nice peak into these F16!

Iraq is currently an extension of Iran. Here let me explain it to you the way the Iraqi explained it to me:

Khameni is the great leader, under him there are states, Iran is one of those states, now Iraq is another one with the help of the americans. Iran has a president and so does Iraq but both answer to Kahmeni first regarding everything. You get it now?

Sunnis have been violently driven out of Iraq under the nose of the Americans and cooperation between security forces and Shia armed groups. He is one of those who were given "either leave by next week or you won't be able to walk away anymore" and so he did. Others weren't as lucky.

Sunnis have been violently driven out of Iraq under the nose of the Americans and cooperation between security forces and Shia armed groups. He is one of those who were given "either leave by next week or you won't be able to walk away anymore" and so he did. Others weren't as lucky.
Rest of your post is not worth quoting,but about this part,do you have any proof,credible source?Or it's just words of some random Iraqi in Istanbul?
I also heard one random Iraqi said how Saudis are sending suicide bomber Salafis to Iraq to blow up Shias.

The Sunnis be it Iraq, Iran, Pakistan or Afghanistan are stuck in their typical hardcore jahalat which lets the opposing factions of 1/10th minority to recombine their strength and run them over.

Saddam wasn't a saint and it is only logical that someone will retaliate when given a chance so - in this case Shia co-operating with invading Americans and forming an untold alliance to bring sunnis under their domination.

Blame nobody else, its their own fault. What exactly was the same "Sunni" Iraq doing back in 1990's?? Invading Kuwait and Saudi Arabia?

Iran is simply taking advantage of disunity among Iraqis to its advantage. It has no sympathy with Iraqi people on the public scale, just advancing its own interests by exploiting sectarianism! Old trick new players!

Dont believe him, I have learned that Iraqis are compulsive liars and very good at taking emotional advantage. In-fact so good that they are able to exploit a number of law and get refugee visas around Europe.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom