What's new

Iran’s Lake Urmia: How A Dying Salt Lake Is Being Brought Back From The Brink

Sina-1

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Very happy to see this lake coming back. Interesting enough western Media coverage is not nearly as intense when the lake is expanding compared to when it was shrinking.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/domini...ing-brought-back-from-the-brink/#1a6d3b00165d
^Facts twisted with regular anti iran propaganda. Be aware!

UrmiaMosaic_2014_Intro%28chs_1%2C2%2C3%29.png

UrmiaMosaic_2019_Intro%28chs_1%2C2%2C3%29.png

well , now we lost the chance of raising cammels there .

on serrious note , I wonder ow uniq ecosystem of the lake fared after those shrinkage 5 years ago as it make the water several fold more salty and unbearable for marine biology who lived there .

@QWECXZ I heard there was plan to connect the Caspian Sea to Persian Gulf through artificial lake in the Dasht i Kavir.
useless plan that didn't moved pass daydream of some peoples.
the water evaporation would have been hilarious in that proposed network of canals and lake .

@QWECXZ I heard there was plan to connect the Caspian Sea to Persian Gulf through artificial lake in the Dasht i Kavir.
Yes, you're right. That plan is still alive and its feasibility is being studied. There are alternative plans that depend on water desalination. They probably have a better chance.

Great news! I'm so happy. Shows how fast can a nation right the wrong and prevent a disaster.
Well done Iran :tup:

What are you both saying well done for? It was that one rainy season with monster flooding that restored the lake.

Iran shouldn’t be congratulated on its continued prohibitive and costly wasteful water spending and contamination.

What are you both saying well done for? It was that one rainy season with monster flooding that restored the lake.

Iran shouldn’t be congratulated on its continued prohibitive and costly wasteful water spending and contamination.
The lake started to recover long before the floods. IRGC built a tunnel that transports water from somewhere, illegal wells were closed. Experts were flown in from Japan. They were more than 10 years late, but better late than never

The reason behind its shrinkage was not drought. It was due to dams that were built during Hashemi era that had limited inflow of water to the lake.

What they did among things @mangekyo mentioned was to open up some of those dams. It was a man made problem and was fixed by man.

The lake started to recover long before the floods. IRGC built a tunnel that transports water from somewhere, illegal wells were closed. Experts were flown in from Japan. They were more than 10 years late, but better late than never

Don’t post propaganda Or you will get exposed.

lakeurmiacomp_tmo_2019102.jpg

It was a man made problem and was fixed by man.

Yeah sure it did bud

Don’t post propaganda Or you will get exposed.

Yeah sure it did bud
You know dude, there is this thing called "search engine" nowadays that you can use before you comment on things you don't know about.

Here, just read the first 3 paragraphs:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...eh-shrinks-80-400-square-miles-ten-years.html

There are more. When you study the reason behind why one of the largest salt lakes is disappearing you should look beyond photos of two consecutive years. The slope of the lake bed in its deepest areas is very low that is why the slightest change of inflow will spread very shallow water in a large area however beyond a certain area the slope increases and now it takes much more water to increase the surface of the lake which is what you see from a satellite.

Back
Top Bottom