What's new

Iranians in general like India

Slumdog kind of exaggerated it beyond limits. Poor people are also to blame in a way. They don't send their kids for education in free government schools for at least basic education and then keep having kids causing more and more poverty.

Government is not just there to blame.

I condemn that type of thinking, it is the reason why you have a Maoist/Naxalite insurgency raging across 40% of your land mass, and why your PM has described that same said insurgency the biggest threat to your country.

"Roughly 75% of Indians—some 800 million people—live on $2 a day or less, adjusted for purchasing power parity." - According to WSJ

Iran has had to face 30 yrs of sanctions, but if you go to that country - the development has been impressive, look Nigeria also has oil, but Iran - both intellectually, economically and culturally is a much richer nation than india.

If Iran had not become a theocracy it would have been even richer.

Why you comparing with Nigeria. Why not compare it with other arab countries. How about saudi arabia, UAE, are they theocratic enough for you. How are they doing?

What ever, Iran is not a value adding country, they survived 30 years of sanctions because they are oil rich country. Otherwise Iran would have gone bankrupt long ago.

I am yet hear something Iranians developed or Invented recently. Is there a study that said Iranians are intellectually and culturally superior to us. If so, I would like to see that.

'More poor' in India than Africa

The new measure of poverty assesses household poverty
Eight Indian states account for more poor people than in the 26 poorest African countries combined, a new measure of global poverty has found.

The Indian states, including Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal, have 421 million "poor" people, the study found.

This is more than the 410 million poor in the poorest African countries, it said.

The Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) measures a range of "deprivations" at household levels.

Developed by Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative (OPHI) with UN support, it will feature in the upcoming UNDP Human Development Report.

The measure assess a number of "deprivations" in households - from education to health to assets and services.

"The MPI is like a high resolution lens which reveals a vivid spectrum of challenges facing the poorest households," said OPHI director Dr Sabina Alkire.

indian_poor.jpg

NEW DELHI: India's abysmal track record at ensuring basic levels of nutrition is the greatest contributor to its poverty as measured by the new international Multi-dimensional Poverty Index (MPI). About 645 million people or 55% of India's population is poor as measured by this composite indicator made up of ten markers of education, health and standard of living achievement levels.

Read more: 55% of India's population poor: Report - India - The Times of India 55% of India's population poor: Report - India - The Times of India

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/55-of-Indias-population-poor-Report/articleshow/6169549.cms

"Roughly 75% of Indians—some 800 million people—live on $2 a day or less, adjusted for purchasing power parity." - According to WSJ

Sure, rest 400 million of them must have a per capita income of $5000 to make up the rest of economy. I didn't say all of us are rich. All I said was there are more rich people in India than entire population of Iran. Especially when they are rich because of oil money, I would say Indians are more developed intellectually than Iranians.

Sure, rest 400 million of them must have a per capita income of $5000 to make up the rest of economy. I didn't say all of us are rich. All I said was there are more rich people in India than entire population of Iran. Especially when they are rich because of oil money, I would say Indians are more developed intellectually than Iranians.

Then "say that" IMHO you have nothing to be proud of, for all those that have $5000 per capita - you have hundreds of millions who will sleep with an empty stomach tonight and for the rest of their lives, with little hope of being saved.

Then "say that" IMHO you have nothing to be proud of, for all those that have $5000 per capita - you have hundreds of millions who will sleep with an empty stomach tonight and for the rest of their lives, with little hope of being saved.

There's no point in discussing with you. You have gone off topic. You obviously bent on to show that India is poor. I accept it. But not because we are intellectually or culturally inferior to Iranians. Actually I have no respect for Iranian development. They are just living on easy money they get from oil and natural gas. We are working hard to develop ourselves based on talent and hard work. Hopefully we will reach there one day to shut you up

@rafi : please consider the fact that half of pakistan is the fertile land of punjab. your criticisms of india are legitimate but pakistan doesn't have the same challenges india does.

ony china faces problems of the same magnitude.

both pakistan and china are richer in resources per capita than india.

while i think that most middle to upper class indians are insufficiently concerned about poverty in india, their concern would not help much.

it'll take another 50 years of development at the current rate to end poverty in india. there is just no shortcut.

@rafi : please consider the fact that half of pakistan is the fertile land of punjab. your criticisms of india are legitimate but pakistan doesn't have the same challenges india does.

ony china faces problems of the same magnitude.

both pakistan and china are richer in resources per capita than india.

while i think that most middle to upper class indians are insufficiently concerned about poverty in india, their concern would not help much.

it'll take another 50 years of development at the current rate to end poverty in india. there is just no shortcut.

I don't think it would take 50 years. If you consider $5000 per capita as a middle income country, we would get there in 20 years.

I don't think it would take 50 years. If you consider $5000 per capita as a middle income country, we would get there in 20 years.

i don't think we'll totally eradicate poverty in even 50 years, simply because of higher fertility among the poor -> low savings , education investment -> poverty.

there will be plenty of poor people in india for a long long time.

india cannot legislate fertility unfortunately.

i don't think we'll totally eradicate poverty in even 50 years, simply because of higher fertility among the poor -> low savings , education investment -> poverty.

there will be plenty of poor people in india for a long long time.

india cannot legislate fertility unfortunately.

They may not all be earning a lot. They could be considered poor because of what they be earning. But in 20 years, GOI would be able to provide better services to those poor as there would be lot more people paying taxes. Hence they won't be sleeping on footpath, going to bed hungry.

This thread is not about India's poverty levels v/s prosperity of Iran,so i don't know why some pakistani folks are hell bent on saying India is a poor country and behind Iran.I am now going to further add to the information about Iranians living in India.Iranians are in India not just for studies,but also use India as a conduit to get out of iran and migrate to other countries.I have spoken to a lady who was travelling to malaysia from where she was headed to australia with her kids.Her son was studying in Pune,and she did not want him to get into compulsory army service,hence the desperate attempt to flee.I have also met others who have left Islam and converted to Christianity.So poor or not,we still shelter Iranians as we have been doing for centuries.They genuinely like India,and Indians.Iranians are nice people,and i think the reason they like Indians is that we are very similar in our culture.

i think that the footpath sleepers will still be there, mostly in the poor states.

there is a reason that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. the poor procreate a lot and produce more poor. punjab has the lowest fertility and its the richest and it'll have the fastest removal of poverty therefore.

a lot of state governments will continue to be fairly poor even in 2060 and won't be able to end destitution. there will be destitutes in india even in 2060.

Back
Top Bottom