What's new

Iranian UAVs | News and Discussions

unmanned bomber? what is main purpose? also i have a question orijinal T33 engine AllisonJ33-A-35 makes 24 kN thrust but your J85 makes only 12-13 kN. Did you use 2xj85 on it? how?

New drone unveiled by IRAF.
Old T33 airframe has been converted to a drone, also it's engine has been replaced with a J85 turbojet engine.
It uses Fly by wire technology.
13971111114224933164988010.jpg

13971111114022901164987810.jpg

13971111114137620164987910.jpg
Probably a target drone I would think.

Interesting report on the numbers and types of drones used by the various forces during the fight against the terrorist insurgency in syria/iraq
There were at least 6,probably 7,types of iranian drones used in the syria/iraq theater of operations.
https://dronecenter.bard.edu/files/2016/12/Drones-in-Iraq-and-Syria-CSD.pdf

Probably a target drone I would think.

Interesting report on the numbers and types of drones used by the various forces during the fight against the terrorist insurgency in syria/iraq
There were at least 6,probably 7,types of iranian drones used in the syria/iraq theater of operations.
https://dronecenter.bard.edu/files/2016/12/Drones-in-Iraq-and-Syria-CSD.pdf
You don't replace a handful of equipments (including the engine) in a target drone, also they have modified it's airframe. definitely not a target drone.

It's either a test bed for new technologies, or a heavy bomber (compared to drones).

unmanned bomber? what is main purpose? also i have a question orijinal T33 engine AllisonJ33-A-35 makes 24 kN thrust but your J85 makes only 12-13 kN. Did you use 2xj85 on it? how?
The owj is based on the j85-21 which makes 16kn normal thrust,and 22kn in ab.The j33-a-35 makes 17.5kn normal thrust,and 20.46 max thrust for take off.The weight of the j85 is considerably less [180-191kg vs 825kg] and the airframe has been lightened further with the removal of the cockpit and pilots seat etc...,so all up you might be getting close to saving close to a ton in weight.
All in all a single j85-21 is a very good replacement for the old allison j33-a-35

Last edited:
The owj is based on the j85-21 which makes 16kn normal thrust,and 22kn in ab.The j33-a-35 makes 17.5kn normal thrust,and 20.46 max thrust for take off.The weight of the j85 is considerably less and the airframe has been lightened further with the removal of the cock1pit and pilots seat.
All in all a single j85-21 is a very good replacement for the old allison j33-a-35
I guess what make J-85 more appealing is that it uses 20% less fuel than J33-a-35
and fact that we produce it ourselves and well also it only weight 25% that can be translated to carrying more of what they want it to carry or fly faster and higher .

You don't replace a handful of equipments (including the engine) in a target drone.

It's either a test bed for new technologies, or a heavy bomber (compared to drones).
Its not going to be much good as a "heavy bomber" and iran has far better drone platforms to use as test beds,frankly about the only use for something like this at this point is either as a target drone,which is what they commonly have been used for elsewhere,or as a tug/tow plane for targets.
As for replacing the engine that makes a lot of sense as frankly I doubt that there would be many spares For the original j33s still available in iran and it would not be economical to try to reverse engineer the components,not to mention that the original engines would`ve had quite a bit of use and may no longer even be flight worthy and were not only quite a bit heavier than the j85/owj,but tended to have shorter lifespans as well.
Funnily enough babak taghvaee did a post about this whole thing on twitter waaay back in 2017,where he raged about the plane in question not being in a museum,now usually 90% of his stuff is crap.......but occasionally he does get the odd thing right.

Its not going to be much good as a "heavy bomber" and iran has far better drone platforms to use as test beds
as far as I'm aware non of Iranian current drones are suitable to be used as heavy bomber.
by the way as far as I'm aware building a heavy bomber drone without building an artificial intelligence for it to help it neutralize more imminent target like SAM sites in its path or making decision of which path it uses for avoiding threat is pretty much useless.

as far as I'm aware non of Iranian current drones are suitable to be used as heavy bomber.
by the way as far as I'm aware building a heavy bomber drone without building an artificial intelligence for it to help it neutralize more imminent target like SAM sites in its path or making decision of which path it uses for avoiding threat is pretty much useless.
Yeah,I think that whole concept is a bit of a non-starter at this point,not to mention that building something like that from scratch would be hideously expensive.

Its not going to be much good as a "heavy bomber" and iran has far better drone platforms to use as test beds,frankly about the only use for something like this at this point is either as a target drone,which is what they commonly have been used for elsewhere,or as a tug/tow plane for targets.
As for replacing the engine that makes a lot of sense as frankly I doubt that there would be many spares For the original j33s still available in iran and it would not be economical to try to reverse engineer the components,not to mention that the original engines would`ve had quite a bit of use and may no longer even be flight worthy and were not only quite a bit heavier than the j85/owj,but tended to have shorter lifespans as well.
Funnily enough babak taghvaee did a post about this whole thing on twitter waaay back in 2017,where he raged about the plane in question not being in a museum,now usually 90% of his stuff is crap.......but occasionally he does get the odd thing right.

BABAK, the Hasbara troll.....

@PeeD any ideas on the origins/design of this engine?

Looks like a micro-turbojet with typical centrifugal compressor. Should be nothing important, hopefully it is durable enough to be re used often. Hence a copy of a mature and proven micro-jet should be where to search for its origins.

We first saw it 4-5 years ago.

Ok, after a look from another perspective on the engine I guess this small Jet-Saeghe did really the long range flight from Iran to Syria, reason? That mini-jet is a turbofan, mini-turbofan with accordingly optimized SFC.

Plus: It is shown with MMW radar seeker variants of the Sadid PGM. I wonder if they even managed to put a SAR into that compact airframe in which two Sadid hardly fit... then plus its long range... plus its non-runway start and landing... plus its low RCS... plus its relatively fast speed due to jet engine... plus its high operating altitude...
Could become a real revolutionary (swarm) airpower asset if that engine is durable and cheap enough.

hmm, as a man who follow defense news closely, I didn't remember anything about this news. Turkey is not seeking any UAV engine from abroad. It is useless to put a foreign engine into your own UAV , you cant export it without permission. All Turkish UAVs is using Turkish engines anymore, and future UAVs will use Turkish engines too.

I cant tell anything about bolts and nuts, those may be true since there is no willing to manufacture bolts in Turkey.

Don't be so salty, it is what it is. Considering the sanctions on Iran, it's obvious why Turkey would want to keep this under wraps, however there's much that goes on behind closed doors.

Back
Top Bottom