What's new

Iranian UAVs | News and Discussions

The TB-2 was literally made with the mindset of being expendable and mass produced. Its unit price is at around 2 Million USD domestically and 4-5 million export price tag. That's mindbogglingly cheap for drones, especially for the all the capabilities and systems the TB-2 comes with. Its the reason why so many countries buy it and why its so widely effectively used. The most recent production line photographs indicate that the production of TB-2 has exceeded the 300 number mark and roughly half of this number is in the use of the varying branches of Turkish armed forces and institutions(forest fire prevention among others). The Mohajer-6 was no doubt made with the same mindset and role in mind as the TB-2, but from what little I know of your Oghab flir series it means they are fundamentally bottle-necked in their capabilities and usage. The M-6 for example would probably need to fly much lower to strike their target, which means its more susceptible to being shot down. My point was not to trash the M-6, its probably made as a workhorse for IRIAF/IRGC but there are definitely differences is my point.

That statement has been redacted by Reuters and the Ukrainian ambassador has denied making these accusations. To put it bluntly it was a translation error. We have not bought stolen grain at all.

M6 is expandable cheap drone with price tag of 100-200k $ .... you are criticizing it performance but we have Kaman 12 , kaman 22 and S-129 which are more capable and battle proven ( and oddly , you Ottomans don't compare TB2 with them ) ...

but the point is that against a foe like Russia , M6 is more effective than TB2 or Kaman-12 because it is cheaper

Soviet Stalin tank was inferior against German tanks but with higher quantity , they simply over run German army ...

Against a nation with top 10 capabilities their usefulness is limited.
This isnt what PDF haters were saying when TB2s were attacking in Syria and "Russian air defense systems are crap" was hot in their mouth,

BOTTOM LINE - The debate is now closed whether Russian air defense systems can handle TB2s - YES THEY CAN.

Issue CLOSED!

M6 is expandable cheap drone with price tag of 100-200k $ .... you are criticizing it performance but we have Kaman 12 , kaman 22 and S-129 which are more capable and battle proven ( and oddly , you Ottomans don't compare TB2 with them ) ...

but the point is that against a foe like Russia , M6 is more effective than TB2 or Kaman-12 because it is cheaper

Soviet Stalin tank was inferior against German tanks but with higher quantity , they simply over run German army ...
I really wasn't questioning the role of M6 or its price tag. Just plainly pointing out there is in fact differences in TB-2's favor when comparing to the M6. Its the reason why countries buy TB-2's and not Mohajer-6, even Tajikistan was first interested in TB-2 before being denied it in favor of Kyrgyzstan. If I didn't compare it to other drones then its because that comparison was never made in your initial post, its off topic. If you want to compare other drones then you start a dick measuring contest that will probably go on pointless tirades. You have other more capable drones no doubt, but so do we.

This isnt what PDF haters were saying when TB2s were attacking in Syria and "Russian air defense systems are crap" was hot in their mouth,

BOTTOM LINE - The debate is now closed whether Russian air defense systems can handle TB2s - YES THEY CAN.

Issue CLOSED!
The kill ratio is absolutely heavily in favor of TB-2's when compared to Russian air defense systems, which means the TB-2 is a very successful product and is a net gain for any armed forces. Your statement is therefore misleading, yes they can shoot it down, but its statistically more likely the TB-2 will destroy it before it does. Which is why its such a successful product. Hard to compare this to Mohajer-6 which has not actually seen any combat or a full fledged war for that matter. Your parameters and measure metrics are fundamentally biased if you think Mohajer-6 is better then TB-2.

I really wasn't questioning the role of M6 or its price tag. Just plainly pointing out there is in fact differences in TB-2's favor when comparing to the M6. Its the reason why countries buy TB-2's and not Mohajer-6, even Tajikistan was first interested in TB-2 before being denied it in favor of Kyrgyzstan. If I didn't compare it to other drones then its because that comparison was never made in your initial post, its off topic. If you want to compare other drones then you start a dick measuring contest that will probably go on pointless tirades. You have other more capable drones no doubt, but so do we.

Again, we dont sell weapons to other countries because of sanctions and that's a whole other political debate. Comparing Turkish supply of weapons to Iranian exports is not feasible. Iranian defense production in some areas either rivals Turkey and in others is leaps ahead like in Rocketry/Missile production. Take any missile, SAM/AD, A2A, Antiarmor, Surface to Surface, SLV, CM, BM, AShCM, ASchBM and you will find Iran leaps ahead. Because Iran is sanctioned to export does not mean our equipment is lesser. Russia is sanctioned now to supply weaponry does this mean Su-35S and Ka-52 are bad machines?

The kill ratio is absolutely heavily in favor of TB-2's when compared to Russian air defense systems, which means the TB-2 is a very successful product and is a net gain for any armed forces. Your statement is therefore misleading, yes they can shoot it down, but its statistically more likely the TB-2 will destroy it before it does. Which is why its such a successful product. Hard to compare this to Mohajer-6 which has not actually seen any combat or a full fledged war for that matter. Your parameters and measure metrics are fundamentally biased if you think Mohajer-6 is better then TB-2.

Zelensky stated the opposite though:

You are wrong Enes, just like the countries on the map below, all of you should rely only on 925boy's great experience and expertise in technical and operational evaluation, instead of facts.
1920px-Bayraktar_TB2_operators_and_potential_buyers.svg.png

Most countries don’t face a top 10 nation against them directly.

TB2 will absolutely obliterate African and many Asian nations in war which is why it’s useful for many third world nations.

Zelensky stated the opposite though:

"We are doing total defense. We are not dependent on a single weapon"

There is nothing wrong with this words. But trying to tweeze an expression and create a perception over it is an example of post-truth, not journalism.

(By the way, two days before this statement, Zelensky had threatened Turkiye in a sense by saying either choose Russia or choose Ukraine. After the necessary warnings were made, he started to avoid these issues.)

Since this is a topic dedicated to one of the areas where the Iranian defense industry is most successful, I refrain from intervening in the issue.

Including Tb-2's kill lists here would take the thread completely out of context. Because I could probably fill it with as many wreckage and neutralized target photos as the total number of UAVs in your inventory.

Dear friends, it is really unnecessary to prolong this pointless discussion. Both countries are advancing on their own path and achieving significant success. Quit the piss race.

You are wrong Enes, just like the countries on the map below, all of you should rely only on 925boy's great experience and expertise in technical and operational evaluation, instead of facts.
1920px-Bayraktar_TB2_operators_and_potential_buyers.svg.png

Every country on the map is a NATO-allied regime or subdued territory. Only a stupid most fool can not see this.

Every country on the map is a NATO-allied regime or subdued territory. Only a stupid most fool can not see this.
There is no anything more stupid than trying to underestimate TB-2's 10 years of progress, and battle-proven effectiveness in the field by try to belittle its export success as sayin -but but they are NATO aligned- and insulting people.

Last edited:
Statistics ? In Ukraine, Russia claims to have shot down 90 TB2s. Even if you believe that Ukraine only bought 50, where are they lately ? Obviously the majority have been destroyed. Even in Libya Turkey lost 20x TB2s to the Pantsir. That was just the Pantsirs being operated by untrained Libyan rebels.

Of course against a potent and multi layered air defense network, like what the Russians posses, slow moving UAVs stand no chance. They can't maneuver or fly fast enough like a nimble fighter jet or dispense flares or use counter measures. Honestly for Ukraine, their best bet would have been using suicide drones / loitering munitions.

Also why don't you compare TB2 against Iran's best drones ? Tajikistan is not even buying the Mohajer btw, they're buying the Ababil, which is an even cheaper variant. For the nature of warfare that Tajikistan will likely be involved with, probably short range border skirmishes against Taliban for example, it's more than sufficient.

The Houthis operate the Ababil but they have their own variant they call Qasef-2k. They have used Iranian drones in the past to wipe out half of Saudi Arabia's fuel supply's in one fatal blow. There were half a dozen Patriot batteries in the area, many PAC-3 variants, they failed to stop the cheap yet effective Iranian drones.

In the end, with these drones it's a numbers game, it's a matter of logistics and reaching a critical mass, especially when you're trying to saturate the airspace, there is no point to use expensive UAVs if you can't establish air dominance first.

I have not seen any other community that has as much propaganda inclination as the Iranian community in this forum. It's really weird. These media outlets always lie when they report about Iran, but when you find post-truth content that works for you, you're in for a treat.

Not just yours, there are 3 posts on this subject, written under such an irrelevant thread, probably even though they know its just fake news. I leave it to the reader's discretion as to how this psychology can be described.

The named ambassador explained how his words were distorted and condemned Reuters' propagandistic reporting.

Reuters has been getting a lot of reaction from the Turkish public, especially for the past month, by publishing a lot of fake news and manipulative content targeting Turkiye's possible military operation.

Last edited:
There is no anything more stupid than trying to underestimate TB-2's 10 years of progress, and battle-proven effectiveness in the field by try to belittle its export success as sayin -but but they are NATO aligned- and insulting people.

Thanks for agreeing that Turkey being a western subdued country can supply as many weapons to other NATO installed regimes while Iran being an anti-western country can not.

Seems like TB-2 is as much Turkish as Turkish themselves are Turkics.

Statistics ? In Ukraine, Russia claims to have shot down 90 TB2s. Even if you believe that Ukraine only bought 50, where are they lately ? Obviously the majority have been destroyed. Even in Libya Turkey lost 20x TB2s to the Pantsir. That was just the Pantsirs being operated by untrained Libyan rebels.

Of course against a potent and multi layered air defense network, like what the Russians posses, slow moving UAVs stand no chance. They can't maneuver or fly fast enough like a nimble fighter jet or dispense flares or use counter measures. Honestly for Ukraine, their best bet would have been using suicide drones / loitering munitions.

Also why don't you compare TB2 against Iran's best drones ? Tajikistan is not even buying the Mohajer btw, they're buying the Ababil, which is an even cheaper variant. For the nature of warfare that Tajikistan will likely be involved with, probably short range border skirmishes against Taliban for example, it's more than sufficient.

The Houthis operate the Ababil but they have their own variant they call Qasef-2k. They have used Iranian drones in the past to wipe out half of Saudi Arabia's fuel supply's in one fatal blow. There were half a dozen Patriot batteries in the area, many PAC-3 variants, they failed to stop the cheap yet effective Iranian drones.

In the end, with these drones it's a numbers game, it's a matter of logistics and reaching a critical mass, especially when you're trying to saturate the airspace, there is no point to use expensive UAVs if you can't establish air dominance first.
Your friend above argues that the sole reason for the TB-2's export success is NATO involvement. It's his own paradox, not mine, that he doesn't create a similar fiction about Tajikistan and Yemeni Houthis with this logic. (That's how low the level of the discussion is)

As of Baykar's production: Number of TB-2 production is around 300, the number of systems sent to Ukraine is 24, and a total of 25 with the system to be gifted by Lithuania. You can check with open sources how many and which country has in its inventory. You have the chance to compare the production numbers with the tail numbers or fuselages on production, as updated photos are published about the Baykar Tech production line almost every week.

It is not even funny that Russia claims to have shot down 90 TB-2s, it is nothing more than an example of an obsession and counter-propaganda against a Tactical UAV that rape on Russian air defense systems on 3 different continents. You are in psychology in the message number 2 I wrote above.

I dont know if any of you remember but, Wagner mercenaries in favor of the putschists in Libya tried to make propaganda by loading the TB-2 wreckage into a pickup truck and photographing it in different places.

Now same thing again.

If the Russians had been as diligent on the battlefield as they were in propaganda works as like, their current situation would have been much better than they are now.

After the photograph of a TB-2 that crashed in Libya, being transported to different points with a pickup, was proven by open intelligence channels, a similar propaganda activity in Ukraine was revealed with evidence last month. The Ukraine-Russia war title contains proofs on this subject. In short, put aside even the claims that the Russian authorities could never prove, they make false claims from time to time, even with evidenced crashed planes.

Tb-2, as any other tactical armed systems, eliminates the necessity of conducting piloted CAS to risky areas. It does this job very well and now has thousands of proven successful engagements. The material value of the systems it destroys is moving towards 10 billion dollars. The TB-2 is a simple tactical system. It should work with a correct doctrine with many other elements within the concept of the operation. Of course, this vehicle can fall, be hit. The important thing here is that even in just 1 successful sortie, this system causes the enemy lose more than it costs and also personel loss.

It has been shared many times in this forum that the image you shared above is not valid. The subsystems written in the poster that emerged during the psyop activities in this Karabakh war are not included in TB-2. In fact, you were given the answer directly to this.

No. Haluk Bayraktar (GM of the company) stated that the products on the shelf continue to be used, but the military components that may be subject to the embargo have become localized. In 2021, Baykar showed in a detailed infographic to what extent the TB-2 system was localized. Actually, this was also a response to the counter-campaign on social media, but since the main critical issue, the drone's main critical avionics, and the running algorithms in embedded systems have already been unique since the first deliveries of the system, there was no difficulty that would prevent the production of the system. If you can't supply a product, you get an alternative, if you can't get it too, then you may increase the cost of the product and you have to localize it. For example, when there was a problem with the wescam, the optimization studies of Aselsan CATS, which was not preferred because it was heavy, were accelerated and eventually Aselsan CATS will take place in new productions. Those who shared the production planning and subsystem schematics between 2014-2019 know how this system evolving very well, but they only talk about a part of the process, not the whole, since their purpose is nothing more than spamming the thread.

EzMnHw6VUAAW7i2

As of now, new built TB-2 locality rate reached 93%. It was 15% in 2014, it was 65% at the beginning of 2019. In 2022, the engine will also be domestic.
Regarding the graphic shared above:
The tire is Petlas, not Beringer.
IMU is not Grumman LN200, it is Baykar.
Data link now, not ViaSat, Baykar.
Oil, not AeroShell, Turkish Petroleum.
I'm sure you're far from concepts like off-the-shelf product use, dual-use products in military systems. The industry giant of the world is China. Even their UAVs that crashed in Yemen had a rotax engine. It is not a necessity for China to use Rotax on these planes, it was about the use of the product on the shelf. But, by your logic, the Iranian defense industry is incapable of suplly even a GPS, it uses $35 Garmin GPS in the current attack helicopters used by its army and even in MALE UAVs. Which would be a completely ridiculous idea. Bu I accept that they create a nice contrast with the plastic pochettes to cover the IIR of the anti-tank munitions carried by these drones or helicopters, which I noticed in the same photos.

FUGsHvRXsAEbSg5
FUGrXx2WIAMYaat

This thread is dedicated to IRAN UAV studies and let check out what we talked about. In the other 3 posts I wrote above, I don't have the slightest attack or grudge against these ongoing developments in Iran. On the contrary, I see these developments positively for our region and always convey my best wishes.

At first I had the idea that what you did was a lack of knowledge or misinformation. Now I understand that you have a different motivation on almost every issue related to Turkiye or us. In the UAV title, the situation has turned into a tragicomedy, enough to speak about wheat export of Russia. The irony of course is that you discredit the intruments you hold for this in other titles when the subject is Iran... From now on, for me, every news that the western media makes about Iran is more credible and true than the Iranian media. Because you accept it too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom