What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

we must not build everything others have , if we go that route , we will go bankrupt just like USSR. we must study our enemies and built way to neutralize them not build an army like them
Yes this is like saying "you don't need to build a nuclear ICBM (like your enemy), you just use your bullshit ideas". There are times when you have to imitate your enemy's weapon and if you can, change your weapon to be better than your enemy's.

Yes this is like saying "you don't need to build a nuclear ICBM (like your enemy), you just use your bullshit ideas". There are times when you have to imitate your enemy's weapon and if you can, change your weapon to be better than your enemy's.
in 2006 did Hezbollah had all the thing Israel had ?
did going into competition with NATO helped USSR ?

in 2006 did Hezbollah had all the thing Israel had ?
did going into competition with NATO helped USSR ?
I think you don't understand. Just think what would happen if Hezbollah had what Israel has like F-35, F-15, F-16, Apache Helicopters, Arrow ABM, Iron dome, Barak 8, David sling, Jericho 3 ICBM, Destroyer, Frigate and plus hundreds of thousands of rockets/thousands of guided missiles owned by Hezbollah itself, it is possible that today Hezbollah has controlled all of Israel.

I think you don't understand. Just think what would happen if Hezbollah had what Israel has like F-35, F-15, F-16, Apache Helicopters, Arrow ABM, Iron dome, Barak 8, David sling, Jericho 3 ICBM, Destroyer, Frigate and plus hundreds of thousands of rockets/thousands of guided missiles owned by Hezbollah itself, it is possible that today Hezbollah has controlled all of Israel.
Nothing different . They had what they need to stop Israel advance . If they had those things they would have been wiped out in first 24 hours of war

Modern combat is agile, cheap, and disposable. Fortunately Hezbollah doesn't have or need to maintain shiny, expensive, and mostly useless toys (i.e. your exhaustive Christmas wish list). Hezbollah has today an arsenal far more deadly than the one they kicked *** with in the 30 Day War--establishing deterrence forever. Your thinking is so 1960s.

Speaking of Christmas, don't forget to add a Red Ryder BB gun to your wish list.

51lQdA-REkL.jpg

Last edited:
Thoughts for the lads here.

So we've seen for the first time, loitering torpedos in Iran. Of course the specs are completely unknown but if it operates like we expect it too. I wonder if this is not only a form of "moving mines" capability and long range port strike, but if it is also to be used for anti-submarine warfare.

Hear me out. Previously Israel had little to no capability at sea. Recently, they've been working with german defense companies in creating a solid submarine fleet for power projections at long ranges, which would include the Northern Indian ocean and Gulf of Oman.

Is this a response to Israeli subs? Or is this not feasible for such circumstance.

So we've seen for the first time, loitering torpedos in Iran. Of course the specs are completely unknown but if it operates like we expect it too. I wonder if this is not only a form of "moving mines" capability and long range port strike, but if it is also to be used for anti-submarine warfare.

Hear me out. Previously Israel had little to no capability at sea. Recently, they've been working with german defense companies in creating a solid submarine fleet for power projections at long ranges, which would include the Northern Indian ocean and Gulf of Oman.

Is this a response to Israeli subs? Or is this not feasible for such circumstance.
A torpedo can have a range of tens of km after detecting enemy a moving mine can move for several hundred of meters

I think this is more of a "loitering" torpedo than a mine..
Imagine releasing few of these close to enemy naval ports..sits, listens to acoustic signatures of interest..Turns the motor on ,Arms the warhead,and moves to the target..If no target detected..heads home to pre programed spot for collection or self destroys..
1648471664451.png

Compare the above with below MK 48 torpedo by the US..(Iran navy did have MK 48 torpedo)
1648471711002.png

1648471876277.png

You don't need to be confused this torpedo is most likely like the 'Mine Mark 24 FIDO' torpedo (World war 2 torpedo).

The mention of Mine in the Mark 24 was deliberately chosen for security purposes, to hide the true nature of the weapon. It's actually just a torpedo launched by the plane at a suspected target. Once in the water, this Mine Mark 24 (torpedo) performs a 'CIRCULAR SEARCH' (you can call it Loitering torpedo) at a predetermined depth controlled by a bellows and pendulum system. This continues until the potential target 24 kHz acoustic signal detected by the hydrophone exceeds a predetermined threshold level, at which point control is then switched to a passive acoustic proportional homing system. Initially the torpedo was set to search for targets at a depth of 50 feet (15 m), later changed to 150 feet (45 m). To prevent the torpedo from accidentally striking a surface vessel, the torpedo continues its circular search if it rises above a depth of 40 feet (12 m).

So if this Iranian torpedo imitates the Mine Mark 24 (torpedo or you can also call it Loitering torpedo) then that's ridiculous, because the strategy is outdated and inefficient.

Now in this age of modern technology you can take advantage of the latest technology from modern sonobuoys (which are no more than two feet long) to conduct extensive searches of submarine targets. So you don't have to tell these torpedoes (mark 24/ maybe Iran's large version) to go around doing circular searches, like loitering torpedoes, this is inefficient because if the torpedoes don't find their target, this torpedo will lost in vain.

By using modern sonobuoys, the torpedoes carried by your warships or submarines are still safely stored (not wasted) and your ship can relax while waiting for the target to be detected by modern sonobuoys.

Last edited:
You don't need to be confused this torpedo is most likely like the 'Mine Mark 24 FIDO' torpedo (World war 2 torpedo).

The mention of Mine in the Mark 24 was deliberately chosen for security purposes, to hide the true nature of the weapon. It's actually just a torpedo launched by the plane at a suspected target. Once in the water, this Mine Mark 24 (torpedo) performs a 'CIRCULAR SEARCH' (you can call it Loitering torpedo) at a predetermined depth controlled by a bellows and pendulum system. This continues until the potential target 24 kHz acoustic signal detected by the hydrophone exceeds a predetermined threshold level, at which point control is then switched to a passive acoustic proportional homing system. Initially the torpedo was set to search for targets at a depth of 50 feet (15 m), later changed to 150 feet (45 m). To prevent the torpedo from accidentally striking a surface vessel, the torpedo continues its circular search if it rises above a depth of 40 feet (12 m).

So if this Iranian torpedo imitates the Mine Mark 24 (torpedo or you can also call it Loitering torpedo) then that's ridiculous, because the strategy is outdated and inefficient.

Now in this age of modern technology you can take advantage of the latest technology from modern sonobuoys (which are no more than two feet long) to conduct extensive searches of submarine targets. So you don't have to tell these torpedoes (mark 24/ maybe Iran's large version) to go around doing circular searches, like loitering torpedoes, this is inefficient because if the torpedoes don't find their target, this torpedo will lost in vain.

By using modern sonobuoys, the torpedoes carried by your warships or submarines are still safely stored (not wasted) and your ship can relax while waiting for the target to be detected by modern sonobuoys.

You are confused what this is used for. It’s a cheap solution (probably less than $20K) to be sent into ports and congested waterway which is what the PG is, at its smallest point it’s less than 20KM across.

They can act as a moving mines. Depending on its range and propulsion power management system it might survive for quite a bit. The fact that Iran covered most of the backend points to this being more than just some WW2 torpedo. With a proper targeting system and power management system anything can be made lethal. Look at what suicide drones like Iran’s delta wing and Israel’s harop against systems worth in the tens of millions.

They can be given to HZ and Yemen to hit warships at sea or in dock. Compliments Iran’s mine inventory.

Iran already has lethal anti ship BMs and CMs. Also they developing supersonic ones CMs as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom