What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

Not aware of automated turrets since a friend v foe system is not yet implemented. On warships this is easy (Phalanx) as its shooting at what radar finds. No human is walking on water at 500 mph.

The problem on land is your using EO/IO and will need a sophisticated friend v foe system in place. Knowing robot dog is enemy vs a civilian or child walking is a huge liability. Lots of friendly fire incidents could happen as well.

But even in water unmanned suicide subs or low observable boats are already being tested and Iran has had at least two incidents of success (Saudi Arabia and UAE ships).

I am not aware of EM pulses outside of atmospheric thermonuclear detonation. What device are you referring to? Generating a strong enough EM burst to fry electronics is double edge sword as it destroys anything electronic in sight...friendly or otherwise.

As you can see, from what you are saying it implies the great lengths an enemy has to go to protect itself against a 10K fast moving robot already makes it a worthy addition.

There isn’t an “iron dome” solution to this threat. Especially as robotics continues its advancement. Everyone is focused on the air where radars are excelling more and more thus having to invest considerable funds into VLO type drones to by pass the enemy defenses. The ground so far has largely been neglected.

If Russia had what I am thinking, it would make scouting and harassment attacks much more viable instead of using high valuable assets like Special forces or VDV.

Hezbollah having such a device means they don’t have to risk kornet/ATGM 3 man crews in revenge strikes. You can send a “pack” of robot dogs that then go silent (prone and off) and wait using passive electronics to listen for enemy before activating (automatically or manually) and achieving terminal attack speed.

Just like the suicide drone or drone swarm took a page out of bee swarms. A robot would take the page out of the fastest land animal - cheetah. Using low profile to the ground and it’s environment (urban or rural) to mask its presence before attack.

Faraday cage - practicality of implementation is a whole another matter.

ABC of non nuclear EM guns by Iranian YouTuber.

Enjoy.

L5TUTI5CI4UOSICHOOOZEYBUJA.jpg

LZ3D5DZY7ZA7VDBI2COYFVA3NY.png

Last edited:
ABC of non nuclear EM guns by Iranian YouTuber.

Enjoy.

I am referring to military deployed devices.

The closest thing was the CHAMP Missile and only 20 were built. A next gen version is supposedly in development.

After that you have what I said earlier directed energy weapons.

EM pulse technology is not close to battlefield ready nor economical enough. As regards to direct energy weapons (such as lasers) we are in the experimental stages at this point.

I hope to see more robotic developments. I mean if they are selling that dog for 3.5K China is probably building it for less than 1K. This is more economical than a single ATGM or even a NLAW/RPG-30

I am referring to military deployed devices.

The closest thing was the CHAMP Missile and only 20 were built. A next gen version is supposedly in development.

After that you have what I said earlier directed energy weapons.

EM pulse technology is not close to battlefield ready nor economical enough. As regards to direct energy weapons (such as lasers) we are in the experimental stages at this point.

I hope to see more robotic developments. I mean if they are selling that dog for 3.5K China is probably building it for less than 1K. This is more economical than a single ATGM or even a NLAW/RPG-30

It is battle field ready for sensitive structures:

LZ3D5DZY7ZA7VDBI2COYFVA3NY.png

Questions about the Karrar tank: Does it recycle the chassis from existing T-72S platforms or is that too brand-new like the turrets? What exactly differentiates it from the T-72S the Iranian Armed Forces operate. Does it possess a stabilization system allowing it to fire it's main gun on the move? What sort of APFSDS and ATGWs does it fire? Also, can someone go in-depth about the ERA and thermal sights it uses? Any word on the active protection system being designed for installment?
d95quk8ph1781.jpg

Questions about the Karrar tank: Does it recycle the chassis from existing T-72S platforms or is that too brand-new like the turrets?

It can be built using either existing T-72 chassis or from scrap. Turret Shape is different though you might be able to modify and weld the T-72S turret to mimic the T-90. The gun I believe is the same 125 mm 2A46M on both T-72S and T-90.

What sort of APFSDS and ATGWs does it fire?

Same as T-72. Iran’s tank shell tech is old.

Any word on the active protection system being designed for installment?

Laser jammer Shrota-like system + aerosol.

Supposedly there is an APS system in development dating back to Zolfighar. Recently they tested a new APS for Karrar, though I believe that was laser hammer based.

My guess = lack of funding right now for mechanized armor. Outside of MRAPs (of which there aren’t many) Iran’s not prioritizing mech arm like APCs, BMPs, tanks. Makes sense, threat of a land war is absolutely low. Iran can wait another 5-10 years and build a true next gen design.

A viable domestic Tank engine is also a problem. Unless Iran plans to important 1000+ tank engines from Russia or China.

Questions about the Karrar tank: Does it recycle the chassis from existing T-72S platforms or is that too brand-new like the turrets? What exactly differentiates it from the T-72S the Iranian Armed Forces operate. Does it possess a stabilization system allowing it to fire it's main gun on the move? What sort of APFSDS and ATGWs does it fire? Also, can someone go in-depth about the ERA and thermal sights it uses? Any word on the active protection system being designed for installment?
View attachment 872081
The ammo used is the 3bm42 apfsds,you can see them being produced in iran in this pic
word-image-41.jpeg

1d4a6075ab68fd9529e609bee04153e1.jpg

125mm_BM-42_APFSDS.JPG

HEAT-FS 3BK18M
614d4d4f374dd.jpg

And theres the locally produced version of the gun launched svir/refleks atgm
3114170.jpg

Theres a good article on the irgc upgrade of the t72,this can give you a good sense of some of the upgrades and developments in the karrar program
https://jangaavaran.ir/بررسی-ارتقای-تی-72-سری-ام-از-صنایع-شهید-زی-2/

Last edited:
It's a Mango round, isn't it?

Yes.

Compare the capabilities of a modern foreign battle tank vs Iranian crew has to get closer to secure a penatration. So your enemy engages you from farther while you have to get closer. A recipe for disaster.

Now realistically only land war will be against US (however unlikely), then your going up against the Abrams and their next gen tank concept which both have uranium armour. So good luck with that mango securing penetration from a decent distance.

Again not a high priority item, but how hard is it for an Iranian engineering team to replace a 40 year old tank shell design?

Yes.

Compare the capabilities of a modern foreign battle tank vs Iranian crew has to get closer to secure a penatration. So your enemy engages you from farther while you have to get closer. A recipe for disaster.

Now realistically only land war will be against US (however unlikely), then your going up against the Abrams and their next gen tank concept which both have uranium armour. So good luck with that mango securing penetration from a decent distance.

Again not a high priority item, but how hard is it for an Iranian engineering team to replace a 40 year old tank shell design?
I would say they could design and field a depleted uranium APFSDS of 800mm RHA penetration with ERA quite easily.

Strange they didn't prioritize it.

I would say they could design and field a depleted uranium APFSDS of 800mm RHA penetration with ERA quite easily.

Strange they didn't prioritize it.

There was speculation Iran worked on depleted uranium shells and armour several years ago. Nothing came of it.

Both are highly toxic to environment. Might have been shut down by higher ups.

Still a conventional tank shell is well with Iran’s capabilities. If you can build ATGMs you can build tank shells.

The issue is getting it to work with 125mm cannon and if one day you switch to another cannon is it compatible? Other than that, it’s well within Iranian capabilities

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom