What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

Hell no. Last thing Iran needs is Abrams engine with it's insane fuel consumption. Karrar has bustle + blowout panels for extra ammo, only reason I could for bustle autoloader is if there's ever a Karrar II or Zulfiqar IV. Most tanks today don't have hard kill APS, and if they Iran does get one it needs to offer APFSDS degradation and top attack protection unlike Trophy
But Iran has insane amounts of oil, plus it doesn't really need to field as many tanks as the united states or the erstwhile ussr.

I agree with the rest.

1661277824706.png

Twin Kornet-launcher. Better sights, probably made to counter APS and enhance firepower.

This 1300 hp diesel engine that Iran makes can be modified to fit into a modern tank....if not already

Tehran (IP) – On June 19, 2018, Iran unveiled a 1,300-horsepower diesel engine in two types of diesel and dual-fuel on the sidelines of a railway transport exhibition.​

View attachment 872734
Iran Press/ Iran News: The Iranian diesel engine has a wide range of applications in rail, road, naval, oil, power and military applications. The Defense Ministry, as one of the major operators of this type of engine in the military field, pays particular attention to its use, especially in the Navy and Ground forces.
The 1,300-horsepower diesel engine is totally home-made.
Iran's army uses this engine in tanks and heavily armored vehicles, and the navy uses it in large patrol boats, fast vessels and frigates.
Related News:

The keyword I said is efficient design. Building a powerful efficient reliable engine that can survive Iranian climate of dust and desert conditions while not guzzling litres of fuel is not easy task.

Saudi Abrams performed in Yemen.

Export Abrams and US Abrams are two very different products. For one, Export Abrams does not get uranium armour or uranium tank shells.

Not to mention, unlike Arab countries (and Turkey), US military uses tanks correct alongside infantry and not as battering rams.
M1A2 at its highest point of protection (that's not inert), offers around 600mm KE protection against APFSDS (per Swedish M1A2 trials).

At what distance? How come you don’t mention that? And that is export M1A2 that doesn’t come with uranium armour.

So it can likely only stop 3BM42 on frontal turret. Although carousel autoloader limits APFSDS length, it wouldn't be to hard to make a round with 650-700mm KE penetration at 2-3km
Here are the facts on Mango

At a distance of 2 km, a projectile pierces up to 500 mm of homogeneous armor (direct hit) or 230 mm at an angle of 65 °. It provides penetration of multi-layer armored obstacles at different angles in a wide range of ranges.

Russia has just begun producing “Lekalo projectile” in last 2 years or so. Stats on that:

At a distance of 2 km with a direct hit, at least 650 mm of homogeneous armor breaks through. High penetration qualities are maintained in a wide range of contact angles, including with the defeat of combined obstacles.

Also key word here is homogeneous armour and does not consider advances armour techniques like the use of uranium armour which will do better.

In conclusion: T-72/T-90 crews using old mango shells have to get closer than their western counterparts to get sufficient penetration. And relying on direct hits to win is risky. Hence new generation tank shells are needed.

LOL Georgia doesn't stand any chance. NATO training didn't do sh#t for the Afghan army or Iraqi army did it ? They would get overwhelming, over saturated and would surrender immediately. If they lasted more than 1 week I would be shocked. Especially if Russia's was with Ukraine end and Russia sends it's best veterans. It's just way too tiny of a nation. They can't, they have no chance. Russia could outnumber them 50-100 to 1 and overwhelm any defensive system they have with saturation attacks.

Georgia's military has undergone a sea change since the debacles of 1993 and 2008. They are getting nato-grade military training, undergoing significant rearmament and establishing close military ties with a lot of western nations.

Plus the country's mountainous geography would make any military operation across it a nightmare for the russians, worse than Ukraine in many ways.

So no, after Ukraine, russia will take a long pause from conflict for a much needed recalibration but the west will only throw more money and investment into building up nations on it's borders that have an axe to grind with moscow.

Even American Abrams would not survive against the latest ATGMs Iran has to offer. Especially if critical targets like the ammo storage or the engine compartment were struck. Not to mention IED's and mines would absolutely annihilate them as well. Maybe one mine or an average IED, ,okay they might survive but I've seen large American MRAPS, the large variants, being torn to pieces by IEDs in Afghanistan. How ? Because the IED likely had 4-10 times as much explosives as an average IED. Tanks are not invincible by any means. If not used in sufficient numbers in a combined arms doctrine type of scenario they're more of a liability than anything.

Colonel Douglas MacGregor has stated in a recent interview that Ukraine has lost 60,000+ killed and 100,000 injured. That doesn't include captured or missing which brings the number to over 200,000+ so far. This week Ukraine lost 4000-6000 troops. In the last 72 hrs Russia just gained 100 SQ miles of territory towards Mykolaiv, including over 20 settlements in a sudden blitz that nobody saw coming.

Zelensky's Kherson counter offensive, looks like its backfired. The Russians seriously seem to be going towards Mykolaiv, which they might just surround, and then they will likely move on to Transnistria, where there are 4000-6000 Russian peacekeeping troops. If they establish a solid bridgehead then Odessa will be cut off from the rest of Ukraine and it will only be a matter of time because just like Mariupol or Severodonetsk, it falls. Russia will target weapons storage facilities, ammunition dumps, communications, command and control, food stores, fuel depots. Eventually civilians will want out. Russia will open up humanitarian corridors and then let the fighters starve as they slowly strangle them into submission.

According to credible sources Russia recently sent 70,000+ troops and tons of equipment to Ukraine, including convoys of T-90's on trains. I think this war is over for Ukraine. It's just a matter of time now. Ukraine should negotiate or they will cease to exist as we know it. They will lose access to their ocean and Russia just cut off the electricity being provided from the Zaporizhia power plant to Ukraine, which is absolutely devastating to them.

Despite Zelensky's hissy fits, whining and the constant shelling of the plant, the Russians are simply going ahead with transferring the electricity to the Russian power grid. The Zaporizhia power plant is the largest in Europe and provides 20% of the electricity to a large section of Ukraine. This will be economically crippling for Ukraine. The excess electricity was also being sold to the EU. I heard that in the UK and Germany people are collecting firewood for the upcoming winter and doing maintenance on their old fireplaces. I heard both the UK and Germany are going to be looking at negative GDPs in the upcoming year.

The keyword I said is efficient design. Building a powerful efficient reliable engine that can survive Iranian climate of dust and desert conditions while not guzzling litres of fuel is not easy task.

Export Abrams and US Abrams are two very different products. For one, Export Abrams does not get uranium armour or uranium tank shells.

Not to mention, unlike Arab countries (and Turkey), US military uses tanks correct alongside infantry and not as battering rams.

At what distance? How come you don’t mention that? And that is export M1A2 that doesn’t come with uranium armour.

At a distance of 2 km, a projectile pierces up to 500 mm of homogeneous armor (direct hit) or 230 mm at an angle of 65 °. It provides penetration of multi-layer armored obstacles at different angles in a wide range of ranges.

Russia has just begun producing “Lekalo projectile” in last 2 years or so. Stats on that:

At a distance of 2 km with a direct hit, at least 650 mm of homogeneous armor breaks through. High penetration qualities are maintained in a wide range of contact angles, including with the defeat of combined obstacles.

Also key word here is homogeneous armour and does not consider advances armour techniques like the use of uranium armour which will do better.

In conclusion: T-72/T-90 crews using old mango shells have to get closer than their western counterparts to get sufficient penetration. And relying on direct hits to win is risky. Hence new generation tank shells are needed.

Russians are already coming up with new designs where the top of the tank has way more protection. Regardless mines/IEDs can always do the job, or 2 ATGMs at once will likely overwhelm the APS.

APSs are expensive. I'm not against them but really why not use loitering munitions to and artillery to take out ATGM ambush squads. That's what the Russians are doing now and it seems to be working like a charm. I don't know.

M1A2 at its highest point of protection (that's not inert), offers around 600mm KE protection against APFSDS (per Swedish M1A2 trials). So it can likely only stop 3BM42 on frontal turret. Although carousel autoloader limits APFSDS length, it wouldn't be to hard to make a round with 650-700mm KE penetration at 2-3km

Hell no. Last thing Iran needs is Abrams engine with it's insane fuel consumption. Karrar has bustle + blowout panels for extra ammo, only reason I could for bustle autoloader is if there's ever a Karrar II or Zulfiqar IV. Most tanks today don't have hard kill APS, and if they Iran does get one it needs to offer APFSDS degradation and top attack protection unlike Trophy

Georgia still has an awfully weak, poorly trained, poorly maintained air force. Hell they can't even keep some Hinds in the air for more than a few weeks lol

M1A2 at its highest point of protection (that's not inert), offers around 600mm KE protection against APFSDS (per Swedish M1A2 trials). So it can likely only stop 3BM42 on frontal turret. Although carousel autoloader limits APFSDS length, it wouldn't be to hard to make a round with 650-700mm KE penetration at 2-3km

Georgia still has an awfully weak, poorly trained, poorly maintained air force. Hell they can't even keep some Hinds in the air for more than a few weeks lol

LOL Georgia doesn't stand any chance. NATO training didn't do sh#t for the Afghan army or Iraqi army did it ? They would get overwhelming, over saturated and would surrender immediately. If they lasted more than 1 week I would be shocked. Especially if Russia's was with Ukraine end and Russia sends it's best veterans. It's just way too tiny of a nation. They can't, they have no chance. Russia could outnumber them 50-100 to 1 and overwhelm any defensive system they have with saturation attacks.
Yeah theirs a certain level of training you can have, but if you are simply to small militarily, and size, it will not change the equation other than inflicting more cost on the attacker, but the end result is inevitable.

Just look at how much easier it would be for Russian ISR to observe over Georgia compared to all of Ukraine.

In other news, Azerbaijan is increasingly creating problems with Armenia, including occupying Lachin today. Perhaps they need a Islamic revolution.

If a land war were to begin with Azerbaijan it would likely be a coordinated attack between Iran and Russia. Iran could take Nakhchivan and maybe some of southern Azerbaijan proper. Russia could take the bulk including Baku. In such a scenario I'm guessing that Russia would want to retake Georgia as well. Armenia would assist them since they're already a defacto protectorate.

For Iran Nakhchivan is easy, even if Turkey wanted to intervene. Iran's northern border stretches all along the Nakhchivan enclave. Turkey meanwhile only has access through a narrow mountain pass. Iran's first priority would be to completely annihilate the mountain pass. Turkey's only other way to access the enclave would then be to go through Iran's western provinces to reach it.

This is filmsy narrative..

First of all Russia will not join and they won't fight in another war for the next few decades as they have wasted resources in Ukraine.

Russia will never fight Turkey without using Nuclear weapons hence one of the reasons they never engaged Turkey they do realize that conventionally Russia can't overcome Turkey on the ground hence Russia will only engage Turkey for serious issue which will require the use of Nuclear war heads. Russia never engaged Turkey in Syria nor had any intentions of that it is based on the conventional ground reality.. Taking on a nearly 100mio population armed to the teeth only conventionally is not viable option.

Iran doesn't want to fight Turkey-Azerbaijan it is just not a winnable fight for them. They are much better armed and slightly out number Iran. Any bookmakers prior to such conflict will make the Turkey side favourites.

It won't be an entirely rollover of Iran but it will instead take a different shape. Turkey and Azerbaijan will be able to occupy 15-20% of iran after a gruelling 3-4 years war ending with a mutual ceasefire.

Some may think well why not a roll-over etc etc because this is not how real wars work especially when both populations are large on each side it will be a drawn out war where Iran will be bested and lose about 15-20% land territory but not entirely rolled over or annihilated.

Will both sides want to engage in this? not really because Turkey-Azerbaijan don't want to waste alot of resources and manpower for only 15-20% of Iran and Iran doesn't want to enter a conflict where they are the underdogs in a potential small loss of territory

I have noticed that majority of this forum a layman sometimes I have even seen a filmsy or cartoonish descriptions of wars but that is just not possible in the realm of reality and in the real probability of conventional engagement

Last edited:
I just saw this and had to post it here - why doesn't Iran have a program to modernize all their existing Kalashnikov inventory into something like this for regular infantry (Artesh and Sepah) and for Hezbollah/PMU?

A worthy investment, in my opinion.

Also, an Iranian version of this for special operations forces and paratroopers would be neat:

Taking on a nearly 100mio population armed to the teeth only conventionally is not viable option.
You can't call other peoples comments cartoonish and then say something like this mate. Alot of what people say is theoretical because that is the only way to interpret something that hasn't happened.

Why are Pakistani users more of a Turkish nationalist then Turks I swear lol .

The Iraqi Golden division is one of the best in the world

I just saw this and had to post it here - why doesn't Iran have a program to modernize all their existing Kalashnikov inventory into something like this for regular infantry (Artesh and Sepah) and for Hezbollah/PMU?

Also, an Iranian version of this for special operations forces and paratroopers would be neat:
Improving the Indivisual regular's equipment comes in last when upgrading ground forces. Iran's have a very long way to go to reach that level unless theyre satisfied with what they have

You can't call other peoples comments cartoonish and then say something like this mate. Alot of what people say is theoretical because that is the only way to interpret something that hasn't happened.

Why are Pakistani users more of a Turkish nationalist then Turks I swear lol .

Honestly it is a geninue ground reality bro.. Look at the Ukraine war this was how I saw things and it is unfolding just like that along the lanes of reality. There is nothing comic book about wars but a conventional probability.. Everything is war of attrition. russikies can't coventionally rollover Turkey it would be waste of resources they will be send back without nuclear warfare even that won't be an easy route. But conventionally is not viable nor feasible and not even on the table.. They will also not engage conventional warfare with Turkey but only in a nuclear warfare that is the only option. But anything else is not realistic looking it from a tactician perspective..

This is actully a route Russia has tried to come from many times in the past but failed conventionally. It is not feasible just smashing straight into numerous turks along these alps that are on average better armed With the capability of rearm and recruit from endless pools

Last edited:

Depleted uranium is only on frontal turret, where there's 600-650mm of KE protection

Actually it does. All KL-7s in Basij (normal IRGC mostly retired them) are being modernized with rails, and in the case of KLS, a telescopic stock. Some IRGC/Basij elite units like Fatehin have super kitted out AK-133s

Back
Top Bottom