What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

Sad Artesh gets worse version of Karrar. But it's nice to see those refurbished M109s Hoveyzehs with fancy camo have finally been delivered
I suppose it's better than the status quo. Thankfully, this is a very modular platform and can be upgraded at anytime.

Out of everything, would really like to see APS installed, atleast on the "higher level" tanks.

Im curious about how the laser warning system works.
Does it basically just tell you, that someone is targeting your tank? Basically giving you a warning that your about to get smashed, or does it also have the feature where it rotates your turrent automatically to the source of the threat.

Aside from internet benefits which may be downgraded from the original. How much more protection is the tank crew getting overall? Certainly much more protected than the original T-72S?

Obviously bad if the tank is destroyed, but as long as the crew can abandon the tank in crisis, they can always get into another one. Would Karrars have the same problems as the Russian tanks, that blow their turrent cause the ammo is badly positioned?

Does it basically just tell you, that someone is targeting your tank? Basically giving you a warning that your about to get smashed, or does it also have the feature where it rotates your turrent automatically to the source of the threat.

Basically fires the aerosol and hopefully if projectile is FBW guided then the operator ends up missing the tank.

Lowest form of protection these days.

The laser Jammer variant will do all of the above and also try to jam laser beam riding guidance systems. Useless against Top attack (Javelin/Spike type systems).

A bit better than just aerosol, but still lacking in modern age.

Lastly is the APS which can hard kill incoming projectiles in addition to using aerosol and jamming plus counter radar firing.

As for the Karrar system, I am not sure it has the counter fire radar turret system. It may or may not. Iran has built counter radar artillery systems, so building such a system to detect ATGMs shouldn’t be too hard.

The best design would be something like T-14 which finally breaks away from the T-34 and T-55 lineage of Soviet tanks. The tank is more automated and the crew sits in a seperate area away from the turret and isn’t exposed to frying to death as much like T-72 and previous models. The tank has drone launch capability and advanced sensors/data sharing plus APS system.

The T-14 tank is basically NATO quality armament where as previous soviet tanks were cheap and quantity focused. Issue is the $5M or so price tag. That’s easy price for Western armies budget to stomach not Russia with a military budget of ~$60B or any export relevant countries (Iran, India, Turkey, etc). So the tank has kind of languished a bit since it’s production.

I suppose it's better than the status quo. Thankfully, this is a very modular platform and can be upgraded at anytime.

Out of everything, would really like to see APS installed, atleast on the "higher level" tanks.

Im curious about how the laser warning system works.

Aside from internet benefits which may be downgraded from the original. How much more protection is the tank crew getting overall? Certainly much more protected than the original T-72S?

Obviously bad if the tank is destroyed, but as long as the crew can abandon the tank in crisis, they can always get into another one. Would Karrars have the same problems as the Russian tanks, that blow their turrent cause the ammo is badly positioned?
No, a laser warning receiver does not magically point the gun towards the target. However instead you can launch smoke or aerosol (can also be automated to launch automatically when the tank is lazed), if it detects something like a laser guided ATGM or laser rangefinder

Indeed it is well protected, including when compared to the most modern MBTs

Karrar retains the carousel autoloader. However the main reason why those tanks had ammo cook offs was the extra ammo, which is Karrar is in a blow out panel protected bustle

I'm pretty sure an ATGM like the Javelin will destroy any tank including Abrams or the Leopard 2. Just look at how Turkish Leopard 2s were annihilated by ISIS in Syria. Or how Saudi Abrams were hunted down by the Houthis in Yemen. An APS can only do so much. There's always counter measures and then there's IEDs and mines which will destroy any tank.

No, a laser warning receiver does not magically point the gun towards the target. However instead you can launch smoke or aerosol (can also be automated to launch automatically when the tank is lazed), if it detects something like a laser guided ATGM or laser rangefinder

Indeed it is well protected, including when compared to the most modern MBTs

Karrar retains the carousel autoloader. However the main reason why those tanks had ammo cook offs was the extra ammo, which is Karrar is in a blow out panel protected bustle

I'm pretty sure an ATGM like the Javelin will destroy any tank including Abrams or the Leopard 2. Just look at how Turkish Leopard 2s were annihilated by ISIS in Syria. Or how Saudi Abrams were hunted down by the Houthis in Yemen. An APS can only do so much. There's always counter measures and then there's IEDs and mines which will destroy any tank.

Neither of your examples had an APS system.

Turks Lepoards were ancient and lacked any APS. They repeatedly had to ask Germany to upgrade them.

The 2A4 model was the last of the Cold War–era Leopard 2s, which were designed to fight in relatively concentrated units in a fast-paced defensive war against Soviet tank columns, not to survive IEDs and missiles fired by ambushing insurgents in long-term counterinsurgency campaigns where every single loss was a political issue. The 2A4 retains an older boxy turret configurations which affords less protection from modern antitank missiles, especially to the generally more vulnerable rear and side armor, which is a bigger problem in a counterinsurgency environment, where an attack may come from any direction

The Saudi’s Abrams were also export version with no APS system. Saudi’s would send one or two of them into massive open terrain where Houthi’s with Kornets could attack them from high ground relatively unscathed.

Tactics are one of the most important factors in tank survival and Arabs/Turks/Persians have always used tanks poorly in combat without proper support.

Looks like for sure. Turrent looks like it
one thing about karrar that worry me is this
OZufjnW.jpg

no actual armor there only that slate armor , hope it was only in the early prototype and in actual models they installed composite armor in that area

Negative comment about Iranian indegenous production.
constructive comment about the tank protection not negative comment .
can you more positively explain that part of the tank for me that for strange reason don't have any armore , onlu use some fuel drums and towing rope and a slated armor over them as protection ?

constructive comment about the tank protection not negative comment .
can you more positively explain that part of the tank for me that for strange reason don't have any armore , onlu use some fuel drums and towing rope and a slated armor over them as protection ?

Can you quote me one post where you have praised a single achievement of Iranian indegenous projects?

Can you quote me one post where you have praised a single achievement of Iranian indegenous projects?
first praise that area of karrar , then i do that . and there is pages and pages of me praising Kowsar , or iranian made drones . go search them up

Back
Top Bottom