What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

7.62×51mm NATO vs 5.56×45mm NATO, I select 7.62×51mm without any hesitation. its, simply superior to 5.56×45mm and I guess that's one o the reason army didn't show much interest in Masaf, hope Masaf II which is 7.62x51mm see a more widespread use
by the way its an interesting video
Yes, I prefer a 7.62mm which has more hitting power. I did my national service on a G-3 and would agree with the NC rednecks analysis. It is very good robust rifle but required precise chambering and cleaning. It was a bit heavy for a 18 year old skinny lad and with full spare mags it could become cumbersome in heat. But the accuracy was very good once you got used to the weight and sights.

Yes, I prefer a 7.62mm which has more hitting power. I did my national service on a G-3 and would agree with the NC rednecks analysis. It is very good robust rifle but required precise chambering and cleaning. It was a bit heavy for a 18 year old skinny lad and with full spare mags it could become cumbersome in heat. But the accuracy was very good once you got used to the weight and sights.
in trainng I used both AK-47 and G3 with semi when you used G3 it remained on target after firing , with Ak-47 well you again had to find target and aim again
also I still don't get it about the complaint about the kick at least to me it had less kick than AK. the only thing about the rifle is that you must be nice with it if you neglect it it will leave yo when you need it

I agree but for whatever reason, whether budget constraints or otherwise, the Iranian military is extremely slow at adopting new, more modern gear.

Also Iran's military leaders tend to put emphasis on proven technology rather than hype or the most cutting edge weapons.

That's not necessarily a bad thing since over time the price of such weapons decreases and they are more likely to be battle tested

I hope to see kevlar body armor/helmets and the Iranian copy of the HK417 (Masaf rifle) adopted among elite units first and then among conscripts. Of course some elite units already have kevlar armor/helmets but it's not common in the Iranian military.

I'm sure that they will do it but they sure take their sweet time. In any case good leadership, strategy,motivation and tactics are probably more significant than weapons. Look at the Afghan army vs the Taliban or when Turkey deployed Leopard 2 tanks vs ISIS in Al Bab, Syria.

That is not exactly correct. Modern body armor mostly made of Kevlar and Titanium plates is standard issue for most modern armies and is not that expensive to manufacture. The Russian body armor is considered the best protection in the world and is being modernized further with the 21st century RATNIK (warrior) integrated combat gear. Soviet (now Russian) body armor tends to be based around metal plates made of steel or titanium. The standard issue 6B23 and its predecessor, the 6B12, both utilize steel plates in Russian military service—although titanium and ceramic plates are also available. The cost of equipping a soldier with effective body armor, if produced locally is less than $5,000. In economics and mass manufacturing, it is called economies of scale as the cost of production goes down with number of units produced. The H&K G3 license manufactured in Iran since the late 60's is also now outdated. In the interim Iran has bought a few thousand Russian AK-103 but the whole Artesh basic assault rifle will need replacement as well. A lot of domestic prototypes have been shown lately but there has been no mass manufacturing.

Defense Ministry unveils indigenous weapons

So Iran can equip half a million men for the cost of a modern fighter jet. It is just that their is little or no value placed on the ordinary conscript. Perhaps now with senior officers exposure to modern militaries like Russia and China, this archaic thinking will change and more emphasis on manpower protection and professional development.

Turkey which is not as rich as Iran and has the second largest NATO army has equipped all its soldiers (who are also mostly conscripts) with NATO standard body armor and hence suffering far less casualties in Syria or against the war with Kurds.

Iranian military or Artesh as envisioned by the Shah was supposed to be equipped with the most modern gear, including body armor. It just makes common safety sense and morale enhancement to invest in providing soldiers with at least minimal amount of personal protection. Even simple things like ear drum protection gear at Home Depot cost less than $5. So the math is not that hard :-)

Hello Sir, I think it was first seen 2016 or so I can't remember, but I saw it a long time ago.
But had no (officially) name back in the day.
It's an upgraded variant of Iranian upgraded BTR-60PB aka BTR-82 (not to be confused with the Russian BTR-82 which were upgraded to BTR-82A).
It's Tusan AFV
That is not exactly correct. Modern body armor mostly made of Kevlar and Titanium plates is standard issue for most modern armies and is not that expensive to manufacture. The Russian body armor is considered the best protection in the world and is being modernized further with the 21st century RATNIK (warrior) integrated combat gear. Soviet (now Russian) body armor tends to be based around metal plates made of steel or titanium. The standard issue 6B23 and its predecessor, the 6B12, both utilize steel plates in Russian military service—although titanium and ceramic plates are also available. The cost of equipping a soldier with effective body armor, if produced locally is less than $5,000. In economics and mass manufacturing, it is called economies of scale as the cost of production goes down with number of units produced. The H&K G3 license manufactured in Iran since the late 60's is also now outdated. In the interim Iran has bought a few thousand Russian AK-103 but the whole Artesh basic assault rifle will need replacement as well. A lot of domestic prototypes have been shown lately but there has been no mass manufacturing.

Defense Ministry unveils indigenous weapons

So Iran can equip half a million men for the cost of a modern fighter jet. It is just that their is little or no value placed on the ordinary conscript. Perhaps now with senior officers exposure to modern militaries like Russia and China, this archaic thinking will change and more emphasis on manpower protection and professional development.

Turkey which is not as rich as Iran and has the second largest NATO army has equipped all its soldiers (who are also mostly conscripts) with NATO standard body armor and hence suffering far less casualties in Syria or against the war with Kurds.

Iranian military or Artesh as envisioned by the Shah was supposed to be equipped with the most modern gear, including body armor. It just makes common safety sense and morale enhancement to invest in providing soldiers with at least minimal amount of personal protection. Even simple things like ear drum protection gear at Home Depot cost less than $5. So the math is not that hard :-)
MASAF did enter production, and is slowly entering service. AK-103 is produced under license for the IRGC. There's also the S-556 variants that have entered service

So Masaf will be Iran's standard service rifle ? I believe elite units already have it.

It's Tusan AFV

MASAF did enter production, and is slowly entering service. AK-103 is produced under license for the IRGC. There's also the S-556 variants that have entered service

Well it is clear that Karrar is intended to be produced as new completly MBT and they will probably lunch 2 or 3 different level of upgrades based on Karrar technology,it is logical step considering large batch of T-72 and earlier T-xx MBTs in Iran inventory. Probably one deep upgrade,with new turret,engine..etc and also one or two light-level upgrades that will provide also option for cheap upgrade without new turet,engine..etc. It is expected to see more of these upgrades,Iran has still T-72M/M1 versions not upgraded to T-72S standard,I would expect see those to be first priority. These two are clear example,one with original turret,second with new T-90-like turret

5.45x39mm is comparable to 5.56mm NATO and is small enough that a experimental personal defense weapons was made in Soviet Union that weighed less than 2 kilograms.

Seems ideal for conscripts and material wise.

Back
Top Bottom