What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

I've never seen this before. Is it based off of the BTR-90 ? Looks good with a low profile. I would like to see the turret with some atgm launchers, maybe 4, 2.on each side.

View attachment 792107
Hello Sir, I think it was first seen 2016 or so I can't remember, but I saw it a long time ago.
But had no (officially) name back in the day.
It's an upgraded variant of Iranian upgraded BTR-60PB aka BTR-82 (not to be confused with the Russian BTR-82 which were upgraded to BTR-82A).

I wonder how many they have upgraded to this standard ?

Does Iran have plans to build these from the ground up or are these just conversion kits or both ?

I guess only time will tell ?

Hello Sir, I think it was first seen 2016 or so I can't remember, but I saw it a long time ago.
It's an upgraded variant of Iranian upgraded BTR-60PB aka BTR-82 (not to be confused with the Russian BTR-82 which were upgraded to BTR-82A).

This is NOT an upgraded BTR-60. This is a new chassis mated with a BMP-2 turret.

I've never seen this before. Is it based off of the BTR-90 ? Looks good with a low profile. I would like to see the turret with some atgm launchers, maybe 4, 2.on each side.

View attachment 792107
This is a completely new built chassis as you stated inspired by the BTR-90 design mated with the BMP-2/Boraqh-2 turret. In this configuration it can mount 1x Towsan ( 9M113 Kunkurs copy) or 1x Dehlavieh (9M133 Kornet copy) on the roof of the turret between the Gunner and Crew Commander's hatch.

GHN-45 155mm howitzers
FDnEwk0X0AEl92v
FDnEwjvWQAAOmq6
FDnEwkRXMAAOC3U

This is NOT an upgraded BTR-60. This is a new chassis mated with a BMP-2 turret.
U sure about it?
I saw BTR-60 upgrades (Russian and Ukrainian) where you can't see that it WAS a BTR-60PB after upgrading.
Well, if it is a completely "new" vehicle, then it's not good, bc same old shitty side doors ... ^^
THIS alone is an indicator that this is just a upgraded btr-82 (Iranian upgrade of BTR-60PB) instead of a new vehicle. :D I don't think that the Iranians are dumb und still producing a "NEW" vehicle that has THESE side doors, lmao.
And I know, the good old, short lived BTR-90 had the same BS doors, which were a weakness.

Last edited:
GHN-45 155mm howitzers
FDnEwk0X0AEl92v
FDnEwjvWQAAOmq6
FDnEwkRXMAAOC3U
These GHN-45 are very good long range artillery pieces, but what bothers me is Iran has not upgraded basic soldier gear like providing ear drum protection and modern kevlar body armor. It can be done very cost effectively.

U sure about it?
I saw BTR-60 upgrades (Russian and Ukrainian) where you can't see that it WAS a BTR-60PB after upgrading.
Well, if it is a completely "new" vehicle, then it's not good, bc same old shitty side doors ... ^^
THIS alone is an indicator that this is just a upgraded btr-82 (Iranian upgrade of BTR-60PB) instead of a new vehicle. :D I don't think that the Iranians are dumb und still producing a "NEW" vehicle that has THESE side doors, lmao.
And I know, the good old, short lived BTR-90 had the same BS doors, which were a weakness.
It is Not the same side door as the BTR-60. The Side door on the BTR-60 is only a small door on the upper part of the chassis. This IFV has 2 doors one on top and bottom similar to those seen on the BTR-80/90 models that allow for much easier entering/exiting the vehicle. The Side door is due to the engine being in the Back of the Vehicle as apposed to western designes like the LAV that have the engine in the front of the vehicle.
These GHN-45 are very good long range artillery pieces, but what bothers me is Iran has not upgraded basic soldier gear like providing ear drum protection and modern kevlar body armor. It can be done very cost effectively.
The Iranian military is a large conscript army with over 300 000 man power and the smallest defence budget in the region with probably the exception of Yemen. you do the math!

Frontline units, elite units and commissioned officers are given the priority over conscripts..

However it's about time even conscripts receive kevlar helmets, vests and new rifles.

I mean Iran reverse engineered the G3 a long time ago but it's time to upgrade to the HK417 copy Iran has produced. Turkey has upgraded to a HK417 copy they produce. Pakistan hasn't but it's just a matter of time for Iran.

Conscripts only serve for 2 years and they're the least motivated out of all units. Anyways Iran needs to continue to modernize and stamdardize the military.

It is Not the same side door as the BTR-60. The Side door on the BTR-60 is only a small door on the upper part of the chassis. This IFV has 2 doors one on top and bottom similar to those seen on the BTR-80/90 models that allow for much easier entering/exiting the vehicle. The Side door is due to the engine being in the Back of the Vehicle as apposed to western designes like the LAV that have the engine in the front of the vehicle.

The Iranian military is a large conscript army with over 300 000 man power and the smallest defence budget in the region with probably the exception of Yemen. you do the math!

That is not exactly correct. Modern body armor mostly made of Kevlar and Titanium plates is standard issue for most modern armies and is not that expensive to manufacture. The Russian body armor is considered the best protection in the world and is being modernized further with the 21st century RATNIK (warrior) integrated combat gear. Soviet (now Russian) body armor tends to be based around metal plates made of steel or titanium. The standard issue 6B23 and its predecessor, the 6B12, both utilize steel plates in Russian military service—although titanium and ceramic plates are also available. The cost of equipping a soldier with effective body armor, if produced locally is less than $5,000. In economics and mass manufacturing, it is called economies of scale as the cost of production goes down with number of units produced. The H&K G3 license manufactured in Iran since the late 60's is also now outdated. In the interim Iran has bought a few thousand Russian AK-103 but the whole Artesh basic assault rifle will need replacement as well. A lot of domestic prototypes have been shown lately but there has been no mass manufacturing.

Defense Ministry unveils indigenous weapons

So Iran can equip half a million men for the cost of a modern fighter jet. It is just that their is little or no value placed on the ordinary conscript. Perhaps now with senior officers exposure to modern militaries like Russia and China, this archaic thinking will change and more emphasis on manpower protection and professional development.

Turkey which is not as rich as Iran and has the second largest NATO army has equipped all its soldiers (who are also mostly conscripts) with NATO standard body armor and hence suffering far less casualties in Syria or against the war with Kurds.

Iranian military or Artesh as envisioned by the Shah was supposed to be equipped with the most modern gear, including body armor. It just makes common safety sense and morale enhancement to invest in providing soldiers with at least minimal amount of personal protection. Even simple things like ear drum protection gear at Home Depot cost less than $5. So the math is not that hard :-)

Last edited:
That is not exactly correct. Modern body armor mostly made of Kevlar and Titanium plates is standard issue for most modern armies and is not that expensive to manufacture. The Russian body armor is considered the best protection in the world and is being modernized further with the 21st century RATNIK (warrior) integrated combat gear. Soviet (now Russian) body armor tends to be based around metal plates made of steel or titanium. The standard issue 6B23 and its predecessor, the 6B12, both utilize steel plates in Russian military service—although titanium and ceramic plates are also available. The cost of equipping a soldier with effective body armor, if produced locally is less than $5,000. In economics and mass manufacturing, it is called economies of scale as the cost of production goes down with number of units produced. The H&K G3 license manufactured in Iran since the late 60's is also now outdated. In the interim Iran has bought a few thousand Russian AK-103 but the whole Artesh basic assault rifle will need replacement as well. A lot of domestic prototypes have been shown lately but there has been no mass manufacturing.

So Iran can equip half a million men for the cost of a modern fighter jet. It is just that their is little or no value placed on the ordinary conscript. Perhaps now with senior officers exposure to modern militaries like Russia and China, this archaic thinking will change and more emphasis on manpower protection and professional development.

Turkey which is not as rich as Iran and has the second largest NATO army has equipped all its soldiers (who are also mostly conscripts) with NATO standard body armor and hence suffering far less casualties in Syria or against the war with Kurds.

Iranian military or Artesh as envisioned by the Shah was supposed to be equipped with the most modern gear, including body armor. It just makes common safety sense and morale enhancement to invest in providing soldiers with at least minimal amount of personal protection. Even simple things like ear drum protection gear at Home Depot cost less than $5. So the math is not that hard :-)
By your own cost estimate you stated that it would cost $5000 for each soldier to be equipped with Modern standard Helmets and body armour. 5000x500 000= 2,500,000,000.00 I don't know of any modern fighter Aircraft that costs $2.5 Billion! By the way $2.5 billion is more money than what the Army gets as part of its share of the annual defense budget!

P.S The Shah's army was junk!It was only fit for parades. Iran lost 3000 troops fighting rag tag insurgents in Oman for the British in the 1970s!
GHN-45 155mm howitzers
FDnEwk0X0AEl92v
FDnEwjvWQAAOmq6
FDnEwkRXMAAOC3U
Normally when ever I have seen IRI Army artillery in action the crews are wearing Full fighting Order ( Helmet and Webbing) with their rifles slung on their backs. I have never seen them this "casual"!

Last edited:
By your own cost estimate you stated that it would cost $5000 for each soldier to be equipped with Modern standard Helmets and body armour. 5000x500 000= 2,500,000,000.00 I don't know of any modern fighter Aircraft that costs $2.5 Billion!

P.S The Shah's army was junk. Iran lost 3000 troops fighting in Oman alone!
A good 5th gen fighter squadron would cost that much. The Shah's army was just being built. Iranian intervetion in Oman was indeed quite poorly led. The problem with Shah's army like most monarchical sycophants is that he and the CIA and later Mossad hand picked senior officers on basis of personal loyalty. The Iranian conscript army collapsed in 1979 as the soldiers after Jaleh square had no interest in killing fellow Iranians. There is a lesson for the mullahs too. The current IRGC and Artesh are both very well led, battle tested and motivated, but need a compete inventory overhaul. Iran is a very large country that faces multiple challenges and really needs to beef up its defence capability. My estimate of producing body armor was based on western costs. I am sure Iran can produce if for half the cost and have the Chinese make. The Russians are spending about $40,000 on their hi-tech Ratnik kit, but that includes various sensors, optical gear and IT.

7.62×51mm NATO vs 5.56×45mm NATO, I select 7.62×51mm without any hesitation. its, simply superior to 5.56×45mm and I guess that's one o the reason army didn't show much interest in Masaf, hope Masaf II which is 7.62x51mm see a more widespread use
by the way its an interesting video

By your own cost estimate you stated that it would cost $5000 for each soldier to be equipped with Modern standard Helmets and body armour. 5000x500 000= 2,500,000,000.00 I don't know of any modern fighter Aircraft that costs $2.5 Billion! By the way $2.5 billion is more money than what the Army gets as part of its share of the annual defense budget!

P.S The Shah's army was junk!It was only fit for parades. Iran lost 3000 troops fighting rag tag insurgents in Oman for the British in the 1970s!
Iran army built of conscripts and a professional army our 500,000 strong army has 150,000 professional soldier and they greatly benefit from an upgrade to their weapon and armor.

the rest which are consist of 350,000 people also need an upgrade to their armor. and I believe that can be achieved wit far less than 5000$ well at least these guys sell body armor for alot less

as for guns I already said previously the conscripts has no business having guns with full automatic capabilities they ran out of ammo in less than one minutes on full auto. give them rifles that only had semi

Back
Top Bottom