What's new

Iranian Chill Thread

they represent the meaning of the technology, its like instead of calling it television call it Teleaudio

Etymologically, "television" has no actual meaning in Persian. Neither of its two components ("tele" and "vision") are part of the Persian language. And well over 99% of Iranians who use the word, don't know what either "tele" or "vision" mean in the languages featuring these two vocabs.

Also, there are many possible ways to describe a newly invented technological object. Any naming, even the original one, will be subjective, selective, partial and imperfect to some degree.

For instance in "television", "tele" is a Greek word meaning far, remote, distant. Why insist on that particular aspect of a TV set rather than some other? It's highly selective, and the word by itself doesn't convey the whole reality of the technology.

We may even postulate that this selection process can reflect the cultural sensibilities of a nation on average (i.e. different cultural backgrounds will lead people to highlight different aspects of a complex object if they're asked to describe it in very few words). Which is yet another reason for creating domestic equivalents to newly coined foreign vocabs.

Last edited:
Net revisions has nothing to do with production.

I have an oil field and I say it holds 1B barrels. I want to sell it to another oil company who wants to develop it due to high oil prices. So they do an appraisal to estimate the true value of that field. They send in the geologists and do another survey test and discover it’s really 500M barrels that is truly economically recoverable at x price of oil.

Net revision -500M barrels.

That’s why when countries first “claim” a major oil or gas discovery people wait for follow on geo analysis of the field because usually their is incentive to “inflate” the recoverable amount to attract energy companies and boost their reserve count. As well as the politics of the whole thing.
Exactly that's my problem when it comes to data and accuracy of data US usually has the most accurate data out there.

Etymologically, "television" has no meaning in Persian. Neither of its two components ("tele" and "vision") are part of the Persian language. And well over 99% of Iranians who use the word, don't know what either "tele" or "vision" mean in the languages featuring these two vocabs.

Also, there are many possible ways to describe a newly invented technological object. Any naming, even the original one, will be subjective, selective, partial and imperfect to some degree.

For instance in "television", "tele" is a Greek word meaning far, remote, distant. Why insist on that particular aspect of a TV set rather than some other? It's highly selective, and the word by itself doesn't convey the whole reality of the technology.
may be because the whole point of the technology was transferring pictures to far places.
and the people knew or don't knew the meaning behind the name is irrelevant , what is of consequence is the name portray correct meaning

Exactly that's my problem when it comes to data and accuracy of data US usually has the most accurate data out there.
well i think it was last year that china showed their satellite can track movement of targets ,without any delay, in past USA was the only one but now i doubt and the problem with Russia is they are still stuck in USSR era

may be because the whole point of the technology was transferring pictures to far places.

There's way more to it. For instance, these aren't just any pictures but animated rather than static ones. Also, television sets have always featured sound. Why is that missing from the word 'television'? And why is it included in 'audiovisual', then? And, film theaters are also there to project pictures to a certain distance. Why are they not named 'televisions'?

We could go on and on, fact is there are many fundamental aspects to a TV set that are not entirely nor precisely conveyed by the word 'television'. And this goes for every designation of a new technology, it's basically an arbitrary choice.

Besides, if that's the best way of describing it in a single word (a subjective and debatable assumption), nothing is preventing relevant authorities in Iran to create a new vocab based off direct translations of the foreign word's individual components.

So, no matter how one will look at it, there's no justification for importing newly invented foreign words over creating local equivalents.

and the people knew or don't knew the meaning behind the name is irrelevant , what is of consequence is the name portray correct meaning

How is it irrelevant, since nobody will converse with people who don't speak their language, nor for the sake of maximizing lexical accuracy. Language is a concrete utilitarian medium that serves social interaction, as well as artistic literary production.

The notion of portraying the correct meaning doesn't make sense when people don't understand the words in question. For then it conveys no meaning at all to those speaking and those hearing them - neither the correct nor a wrong meaning, just none whatsoever. Case in point, the words "tele" and "vision" have no meaning in Persian.

Last edited:

The overestimation of oil field surveys has been a common problem for a while. Also has to deal with price of oil at the time of survey and subsequent rises or falls. Other times you don’t know till you start drilling what you really got.

It would be best to look at net revisions per year for last 10-15 years to smooth out the volatility.

And this idea that US will run out of oil in 5 years or less is not accurate. World has plenty of oil for foreseeable future.

Thank you for writing these deeply thoughtful paragraphs in response to my three short lines.

Your observations are rock solid, not much to disagree with. But what comes to my mind is Sermon 25 of the Nahj al Balgha and other similar messages in the same book.
https://www.al-islam.org/nahjul-balagha-part-1-sermons/sermon-25-nothing-left-me-kufah

By Allah, I have begun thinking about these people that they would shortly snatch away the whole country through their unity on their wrong and your disunity (from your own right), and separation, your disobedience of your Imam in matters of right and their obedience to their leader in matters of wrong, their fulfilment of the trust in favour of their master and your betrayal, their good work in their cities and your mischief.

Make of it what you will.

Thanks for citing these sermons, they contain important wisdoms we need to ponder and take seriously. We shall see if the quoted one will apply to the Islamic Republic or not. I for one hope not. I'm rather confident in the IR's ability to avert the danger. And God knows best.

Disclaimer: I am not comparing Islamic Revolution to the rule of Infallibles, I am a follower of Sistani and do not believe in absolute Wilayte Faqih.

I don't think this is what you meat to suggest by the above, but since I saw other users make incorrect statements in this regard, and to clear any misunderstandings that may arise in some readers' minds, let me add an important point:

The principle of absolute Velayate Faqih does not entail belief in infallibility of the Valie Faqih. To us the Supreme Leader isn't infallible, meaning he commits mistakes and is not sinless. Infallibility is confined to fourteen Ma'sumin: Prophet (s), his daughter Fatima (as), his successor Imam Ali (as) and the following eleven Imams (as) who descend from the Prophet (s). Ascribing infallibility to any person other than the latter, would place us outside the boundaries of Twelver Shia Islam.

What absolute Velayate Faqih means, is essentially that in the absence of the infallible Imam i.e. hazrate Mahdi (aj) who is currently in occultation, the Valie Faqih fulfills the role of a deputy, so to say, and therefore his political competence covers the areas of governance which Imam Mahdi (aj) will exercise power over. In short, the Valie Faqih is the paramount authority in the political order (nezam).

Not being infallible, his rule will not be flawless, unlike Imam Mahdi's (aj). However, as long as the latter remains in occultation, Velayate Faqih or government of the qualified jurisconsult (mojtahed), is considered a necessity as well as the most legitimate type of governance possible.

Last edited:

All the difference between a nation that's been actively resisting the global powers to be for more than four decades, and one that doesn't, summarized in a simple example.

In the former, a considerable number of citizens will constantly underestimate their own nation's prowess, sell it short in international comparison, nag and complain and bicker, selectively fixate on problematic issues and fail to appreciate the true value of achievements. In the latter, provided a solid sense of patriotism, the opposite.

Because the former will find itself bombarded 24/7 and all year long with incessant, massive psy-ops and propaganda generated by the same powers to be, aimed at skewing public perceptions and expectations, while the latter will be left alone in this regard.

Viz some Iranians impacted by hostile psy-ops who spend time badmouthing Iran's quite formidable auto industries (which has room for improvement but still), and Turks enthused by a national car that's behind schedule and nowhere to be seen.

So instructive. Of course Turks would now be reacting in the same way as Iranians to the slightest failure if it unduly made the headlines in multiple well-funded propagandistic echo chambers posing as "objective" satellite news broadcasters, on top of hundreds of thousands of "social media" accounts as well as countless websites.

Last edited:

Source is reddit

The Luftwaffe and the Japanese Air Force will strengthen their cooperation in all fields and will from now on also work together in space. That was discussed today between the Japanese ambassador and the commander of the luftwaffe.​

vjtr95xtahx81.jpg

re2.jpg

There's way more to it. For instance, these aren't just any pictures but animated rather than static ones. Also, television sets have always featured sound. Why is that missing from the word 'television'? And why is it included in 'audiovisual', then? And, film theaters are also there to project pictures to a certain distance. Why are they not named 'televisions'?
you may like it to play with words , i'm old enough so it not work on me . the whole point of television was transferring pictures .for audio there was radio . please don't try to impress me by these ridiculous type of discussion
How is it irrelevant, since nobody will converse with people who don't speak their language, nor for the sake of maximizing lexical accuracy. Language is a concrete utilitarian medium that serves social interaction, as well as artistic literary production.

The notion of portraying the correct meaning doesn't make sense when people don't understand the words in question. For then it conveys no meaning at all to those speaking and those hearing them - neither the correct nor a wrong meaning, just none whatsoever. Case in point, the words "tele" and "vision" have no meaning in Persian.
you knew why it was irrelevant , because people who did not knew the meaning of the word all over the world when heard the name knew what they meant. please don't enter philosophical discussion with me to derail the whole point of the discussion , if they want to make a new word they better made one to describe the device or technology correct . not something that if you hear it could not be able to understand what it is
by the way if its so that tele and vision have no meaning in Persian its also correct about many Arabic word in our language that you support their existence which point us to another grievance against Hadad-e-Ader Academy . why they replace foreign words with another foreign word .
why they replace English or other language words with Arabic one instead Persian one ?

One million medical tourists arrive in Iran per annum​

4119122.jpg

“The majority of inbound medical passengers come from the neighboring countries including Iraq and Afghanistan,” the official said in an address to a press conference held in Tehran on Friday.

Talking about hospitals and clinics, he said a selection of 200 Iranian medical centers have permission to accept foreign patients.

Many domestic experts believe that medical tourism in Iran is a win-win opportunity both for the country and foreign patients, as they are offered affordable yet quality treatment services and the country gains considerable foreign currency.

Iran is ranked 46th worldwide in the field of medical tourism, the official noted.

According to:
https://www.medicaltourism.com/mti/home
9 of these 45 countries are Iran's neighbors :undecided: if we count India as neighbor 10 of them doing better than us.

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom