What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

The Iranian Ministry of Defence has noted the effectiveness of the US Intelligence, Surveillance, Target Acquisition and Reconnaissance (ISTAR) system in inflicting damage on Russian facilities inside Russia. The Iranian Ministry of Defence finally decided to build a version of the Bavar-373 to target low-orbit satellites, and to set up a space command control centre.
This won't be the first surface-to-air missile (SAM) system capable of targeting low-earth orbit satellites: the Russian S-500 can also do it.

Music to my ears if true...for the last few years I have advocated for spending money on Iran's space Technology and cooperation with Russia on their space station. Fact is that next wars will be controlled via space and hence an anti satellite capability as part of ADS is a must for Iran..all I saw was decimation of Iranian space program as if it was some kind of unnecessary luxury...Glad to read that powers to be finally recognize the need.

Last edited:
An informative report about the development of SAM systems in army, from Mersad-1 (domestic version of HAWK) in 2010 (1389) to Mersad-21 (Tactical) in 2023 (1402)!

Good read. Are there articles about other SAM families/systems? I can never get my head around which ones are for the army and which ones for IRGC.

Not Necessarily , Bavar is not the first weapon system that its first version is not mass produced

When you build its replacement during r&d then the original is merely a prototype.

If it takes till Bavar-10 to get to mass production, you going to tell me that Bavar 1 thru 9 were actual systems? Of course not, they are prototype variants. China has this, Russia has this (SU-57 being one current example go see how many variants exist), US has this as well.

It’s like saying YF-22 and F-22 are different weapons systems. They are in fact the same and one is the final version of the original prototype (YF-22). Thus Bavar-2 is (hopefully) the final version of the prototype Bavar.

Music to my ears if true...for the last few years I have advocated for spending money on Iran's space Technology and cooperation with Russia on their space station. Fact is that next wars will be controlled via space and hence an anti satellite capability as part of ADS is a must for Iran..all I saw was decimation of Iranian space program as if it was some kind of unnecessary luxury...Glad to read that powers to be finally recognize the need.

Anti-Space capability is useless if you don’t have the guts to use it. Case in point - Russia right now. Space based ISR Intel handed over to Ukraine is kicking its ***. Saddam could only dream of such Intel back during the Iran-Iraq war, still he was given satellite images of Iranian troop positions by western countries.

Good luck shooting US sats out of orbit and pissing off the entire world for causing massive debris fields that their satellites will now have to navigate which in fact will lead to many sats getting damaged. Good way to get many nations to turn against you.

Anti satellite capability although a last resort option after soft blocking against satellites (like laser jamming optics and ew clouding sar satellites or gps jamming like currently used by Russia to a degree of effectiveness), it is also a step in developing exoatmospheric interception capability. Exo atmospheric kill vehicle/missile stage can be a further addition and area of improvement for these systems carried by the missiles improving their abm capability to defend against longer range bms.

Anti-Space capability is useless if you don’t have the guts to use it. Case in point - Russia right now. Space based ISR Intel handed over to Ukraine is kicking its ***. Saddam could only dream of such Intel back during the Iran-Iraq war, still he was given satellite images of Iranian troop positions by western countries.

A rapid and streamlined process starting from space based ISR to launching of tactical missiles is such a lethal threat, would've changed the course of the war for any side that had such capability. Even now, only few countries have this ability. Russia being one of them. This is why cooperation with Russia in this regard is important, Iran would rely on this intel in a hot conflict with the US if they are willing to supply it.

A rapid and streamlined process starting from space based ISR to launching of tactical missiles is such a lethal threat, would've changed the course of the war for any side that had such capability. Even now, only few countries have this ability. Russia being one of them. This is why cooperation with Russia in this regard is important, Iran would rely on this intel in a hot conflict with the US if they are willing to supply it.
Now THAT’d be a hard sell. Iran must and will act as if it’s on its own.

Now THAT’d be a hard sell. Iran must and will act as if it’s on its own.
hmm....i dont want to go against this....if Russia cant deliver Su-35s to Iran after Iran saved its azz in the Ukraine war by supplying Shahedified Geranis when and how Russia NEEDED them, i'm not sure Russia will part with something like this SAR technology, it might be too much of an ask from Russia, which is understandable from a national security and advantage perspective.

i'm not sure Russia will part with something like this SAR technology

ISR and SAR are not the same thing.

Iran already builds its own SAR radars for drones. It has already built concepts of it for pro satellites.

Drones
1694830878495.jpeg

Satellites

Perhaps @sahureka2 or @SOHEIL can integrate the systems together for an overall picture?
Whatever automatic gun you use you NEED a Continous wave radar to make it capable of hitting any income missile effectively.
That´s why a CIWS with gun will be always much better than a Laser CIWS. Because any fog, smoke will damage the capability of laser to hit any incoming missile, but with a good radar guidance a good automatic weapon can hit any missile at night, raining, fog or smoke combat condition.

When you build its replacement during r&d then the original is merely a prototype.

If it takes till Bavar-10 to get to mass production, you going to tell me that Bavar 1 thru 9 were actual systems? Of course not, they are prototype variants. China has this, Russia has this (SU-57 being one current example go see how many variants exist), US has this as well.

It’s like saying YF-22 and F-22 are different weapons systems. They are in fact the same and one is the final version of the original prototype (YF-22). Thus Bavar-2 is (hopefully) the final version of the prototype Bavar.

Good luck shooting US sats out of orbit and pissing off the entire world for causing massive debris fields that their satellites will now have to navigate which in fact will lead to many sats getting damaged. Good way to get many nations to turn against you.
Yes, Iran must develop that capability. ASAT missions are extremely persuasive. In a total war, in a hipothetical israhelli leaded coalition a convincent ASAT capability will retain americans and europeans to intervene in any preemptive attack.

Of course it is a only way ticket to use (you will ruin international space orbits) but it is much more persuasive that even Su35 fleet.

Looks like they`ve modified the rotating optronic,its now got 3 cameras.
Raad, especially Raad-2, is probably Iran's most underappreciated AD system: Fully passive (no radar emissions), mobile, relatively low footprint (1 TEL + 1 FCS vehicle per unit), decent mid-range (50 km) and high-altitude (25-27 km) engagement capability and likely very numerous due to its low cost and long service history, complicating SEAD/DEAD operations.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom