What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

What are your thoughts about S-350E for Iran? Are there chances that it's what Iran ordered with the Su-35 deal?
why we need that when we have 3rd of Khordad, 15th of Khordad and Bavar-373 the first two is mass produced and we just need allocate the funf for buying s-350 to mass producing bavar

IMG_20230417_193114_392.jpg

Look at how many s-300 batteries Ukraine had. They successfully kept the Russian air-force at bay for more than one year so far. They are running out now, but to date their long-range AD systems have done a remarkable job. If they had domestic production capabilities they could probably sustain it for much longer rather than having to rely on the West for AD hand-me-downs.

While the US (and Israel) have far more capable air-forces, the lesson is clear: Iran needs to mass produce 3rd Khordad, 15 Khordad and Bavar 373 batteries ASAP. Dozens of batteries of each at a minimum, especially the Bavar 373.

4 batteries of s-300PMU2 is an extremely small number. (Plus 1 potential battery of the older s-300pmu1 allegedly acquired from Belarus.) It is disappointing that the Bavar-373 is still not in operation with even one battery, 4 years after it was unveiled and declared operational...

Iran is 3x the size of Ukraine. 20+ batteries of Bavar-373 is the minimum. I presume Iran can produce that with not more than 2x the amount they spent on the 4 s-300pmu2 batteries ($800 million x2 = $1.6 billion).

Turkey paid $2.5 billion for 4 batteries of the s-400. Investing in mass production of Bavar-373, with Sayyad-4B and upgraded radars, is a much better allocation of capital than the export version of the s-400.

Look at how many s-300 batteries Ukraine had. They successfully kept the Russian air-force at bay for more than one year so far. They are running out now, but to date their long-range AD systems have done a remarkable job. If they had domestic production capabilities they could probably sustain it for much longer rather than having to rely on the West for AD hand-me-downs.

While the US (and Israel) have far more capable air-forces, the lesson is clear: Iran needs to mass produce 3rd Khordad, 15 Khordad and Bavar 373 batteries ASAP. Dozens of batteries of each at a minimum, especially the Bavar 373.

4 batteries of s-300PMU2 is an extremely small number. (Plus 1 potential battery of the older s-300pmu1 allegedly acquired from Belarus.) It is disappointing that the Bavar-373 is still not in operation with even one battery, 4 years after it was unveiled and declared operational...

Iran is 3x the size of Ukraine. 20+ batteries of Bavar-373 is the minimum. I presume Iran can produce that with not more than 2x the amount they spent on the 4 s-300pmu2 batteries ($800 million x2 = $1.6 billion).

Turkey paid $2.5 billion for 4 batteries of the s-400. Investing in mass production of Bavar-373, with Sayyad-4B and upgraded radars, is a much better allocation of capital than the export version of the s-400.
I am not very sure about the "operational" export version of S-400

I am very doubtful that Russia delivered 4 S-400 batteries to a NATO country without having planted some backdoors to shut them down in case, this is a plus of doing indigenous things than importing, but still not Bavar in sight

This reminds me the good old second hands Tor-M1s that Iran bought in the 90s that somehow shoots on airliners and recognize them as "cruise missiles"

3rd Khordid showed its efficacity, i don't know if 15th is in service, but 373 is definitely not saw anywhere in Iran

3rd Khordid showed its efficacity, i don't know if 15th is in service, but 373 is definitely not saw anywhere in Iran

Bavar-373 vehicles were filmed driving on a highway when Iran mobilized forces for a war game near the border with the Republic of Azarbaijan if I'm not mistaken, or maybe at some other occasion. The clip's on so-called "social media" and was shared here as well (i.e. it's somewhere in this thread).

From the August 2022 drone exercice:

1401060212022791925947134.jpg

1401060212022840425947134.jpg

Last edited:
Bavar-373 vehicles were filmed driving on a highway when Iran mobilized forces for a war game near the border with the Republic of Azarbaijan if I'm not mistaken, or maybe at some other occasion. The clip's on so-called "social media" and was shared here as well (i.e. it's somewhere in this thread).

From the August 2022 drone exercice:

1401060212022791925947134.jpg

1401060212022840425947134.jpg
This radar is even bigger than the one speculated to be on the telar seen some years ago. I think there might be 4 radars on this system now; the two planar array aesas, this kasta looking radar, and the one believed to be on the telar yet to be officially unveiled.

This reminds me the good old second hands Tor-M1s that Iran bought in the 90s that somehow shoots on airliners and recognize them as "cruise missiles"

So much wrong with this post where does one begin.

First Iran recieved TOR-M1 in 2007, not “the 90’s”

Second TOR-M1 is an analog Cold War relic. The inside looks like this:

1681943397124.jpeg

So you can see it’s not like Iran’s new systems with nice digital screens and info on an object. You can’t just look at a screen and it show you what the object is. It’s old school air defense. It’s ment to be a point defense system/last resort inside a proper air defense network, it should be fed data because if it has to rely on its own data it can be difficult.

Third, the team deployed the TOR-M1 incorrectly at the initial set up thus data it was taking in was not correct.

Fourth, the commander ignored protocol in asking HQ about authorization and clarification of object that they thought was CM.

Lastly, USA is the leader in EW/ECW and can make radars think they see one thing when really it’s another especially on older systems prone to problems. That’s the beauty of EW.

Back
Top Bottom