What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

An interesting North Korean SHORAD based on Tor system was revealed last night:

1602349695703.png

On a similar note, here is the Chinese HQ-17 also based in small parts on Tor:

1602349879953.png

I think one of the upcoming SHOARD systems, i.e the Oghab will also fit into such a category.

An interesting North Korean SHORAD based on Tor system was revealed last night:

View attachment 678180

On a similar note, here is the Chinese HQ-17 also based in small parts on Tor:

View attachment 678181

I think one of the upcoming SHOARD systems, i.e the Oghab will also fit into such a category.
Man, we’re all waiting for Iran New AD unveiling. They are promising🔥

We cant treat all the whole S-300 family as the same items-suystems-tech. They share the prefix "S-300" but there are A LOT of differences between them. We can ask @yavar to talk about the s-300 PMU2 (the one finally Iran got from Russia) compared to S-300V (the one Russia wanted to transfer to Iran). Maybe @PeeD knows more about this subject.

Armenian S-300 are VERY OLD. In http://charly015.blogspot.com, a very known internet blog about mainly Russian weapons, Valen (the author) tells us (it's a spanish blog, I google-traslated it):

También decir que uno de los males del internet en su nicho militar son los expertos. Hay demasiados y muchos hablan sin conocer lo suficiente de qué hablan. En el caso de esta primera posición S-300 del conflicto armenio-azerí se habla de S-300 como haciendo tabla rasa, o sea, como si esa denominación significase lo mismo para todo y no es así. Esta S-300PT armenia es antediluviana y, por lo tanto, absolutamente obsoleta.

Los conjuntos de defensa aérea S-300PT forman parte de las primeras generaciones de la familia S-300. Todos sus equipos son obsoletos e incluso su misil interceptor es el 5V55 que fue abandonado hace tiempo en favor de la familia de SAMs 48N6. Sus capacidades y sus prestaciones son muy inferiores a la familia 48N6.

Traslation:

Also say that one of the evils of the internet in its military niche is the experts. There are too many and many speak without knowing enough what they are talking about. In the case of this first position S-300 of the Armenian-Azeri conflict, S-300 is spoken of as a clean sweep, that is, as if that name meant the same for everything and it is not. This Armenian S-300PT is antediluvian and therefore absolutely obsolete.

The S-300PT air defense kits are part of the first generations of the S-300 family. All of their equipment is obsolete and even their interceptor missile is the 5V55 which was abandoned long ago in favor of the 48N6 family of SAMs. Its capabilities and benefits are much lower than the 48N6 family.

There are two recent posts about this subject (armenian S-300, azeris TB-2 etc):

http://charly015.blogspot.com/2020/10/azerbaiyan-ataca-una-s-300-armenia.html

http://charly015.blogspot.com/2020/10/las-coberturas-s-300-en-el-conflicto.html

I think AD systems in Armenia are poor and outdated, and also Armenia does NOT have airpower (only 4 SU-30 but we dont know their availability to combat), so the TB-2 etc are in the "paradise" for ground attacking, with almost no oposition.

Armenia have very old and unmodernized S-300PT and S-300PS system from last 1970s-80s. Differences between early S-300 and last S-300PMU-2 even more significal than between latest S-300PMU2 and S-400. There different radars and different missiles.
To be honest, if the system isn't ready for combat and the launchers are in marching mode, as in the video above, then even the new systems can also be destroyed with impunity.

I have said this countless times, it is not just about the systems but also how they're used. S-300/400/500, Bavar etc are all vulnerable system if you just stick them somewhere without the layered protections. Nations like Syria, Armenia not only have limited and relatively older systems, but they have nothing close to an air defence network. This is how these UAVs are being used in a opportunistic manner against them. Not to say that you have to have a fully integrated air defence network to be able to handle such low-mid level threads such as UAVs but they at minimum they need the relevant sensors and AD assets places properly. PeeD mentioned yesterday how Armenia can essentially create a strong no fly zones by just a relatively small number of air defence assets.

The Iranian S-300 has parts of the S-400 and S-350 so it is not a PMU 2 but a PMU-3 unique in the world.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom