What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

I think we have a offcial record here too: This should be the first AESA based SAM with illumination capability.
Whether it is CW, FMCW or peudo/interrupted-CW/FMCW.
There is an AESA Patriot in the works and the S-500 will also feature it plus see based systems for use with Standard family of SAMs, but this is the first one of those systems still in work/testing.
That HQ-16 upgraded variant is still in work too.
3rd Khordad would be the only other system I know of but its not certain whether it is really a AESA, could be a unusual PESA design.

Btw. Again, the missile during testing looks different to the Sayyad-4 mock up. Point is: A giant 10x10 truck like the Zoljanah is too much for a Sayyad-4 like missile, maybe it has just reserves for a future larger missile. Maybe there are two different missile. Maybe the missile changed much from the early Sayyad-4 concept.

Or perhaps we could be looking at a shared truck between Sayyad-4 and Sayyad-5? Couldn't they load more Sayyad 4 missiles onto the 10x10 truck?

Well the Zoljanah certainly offers growth potential, whether a Sayyad-5 exists or not.

Another point: I was always wondering how the gain of a AESA could be improved to let a small array like that of the Bavar engagement radar, compete with the much larger array of the S-300/-400 family.
One idea was a novel array that is 3 dimensional. However I never saw such a 3D array anywhere and had doubts whether it would provide any benefits in gain.
Today, I have seen the first 3D arrangement in a radar array: The Bavar engagement radar with its 4 sub-arrays to the sides of the main array.
It is 3D because of the angle they have, waveforming is done outside of the planar plane.
So I revive my old idea: Instead of a pure SLC subarray, this might be a novel kind of wave interference sub array that improves effective gain. I guess the science behind such a system would be a huge problem however.

Maybe these or not even SLC arrays but 4 separate data-link channels...

Bavar- 373 long range Air defense system

yaRp17jcOp0.jpg

PvqV2LAz9uo.jpg

ov2sICMJJ28.jpg

VfRzrXP-6yU.jpg

eydtrtApa5I.jpg

This Bavar 373 seems very surprising to me on several levels. I can not wait to see the official specifications ..

I was wondering since the release of this radar if it was a component of Bavar 373? Who knows more about this intriguing radar?
27654812_2041321509419736_6921093744360448655_n.jpg

The Zoljanah 10x10 TEL has 2,5-3m additional reserve in length for a longer/larger container. The Sayyad-4 looks like to be its undersized secondary missile. The goal would certainly be a ARH seeker, long range missile like the S400 has.
I wish to see a smaller missile such as the SD-3 on the Zafar 8x8 off-road TEL as its smallest component. Favorably with cold launch and TVC like BukM3/HQ-16, but with more power.

Funny: Back in 2010 Iran just had the Sayyad-1/HQ-2 and the Shahin/HAWK, this Bavar-373 would have looked absolutly amazing back then. But with the Sayyad-2/3, Tabas, 3rd Khordad, 15th Khordad, I'm a little spoiled. They systematically worked towards this capability, step by step.
Acquisition radar was spoiled by the Najm-802B first
Sayyad-4 by Sayyad-2/-3
It's the X-band engagement radar that is the most amazing item.

I was wondering since the release of this radar if it was a component of Bavar 373? Who knows more about this intriguing radar?

A very innovative radar, yes but not connected to the Bavar.

I sincerely wonder if there is a Bavar 373 and a Bavar 373 II? I look in my radar photos and there are other configurations. And Iran has surprised us for years with new radars coming from nowhere

The 4 TEL design looks good, much better than the 2 TEL design they showed.

But from the footage the missile fired looks red, which looks like a Sayyad 3 missile not 4 - or am I wrong?

The 4 TEL design looks good, much better than the 2 TEL design they showed.

But from the footage the missile fired looks red, which looks like a Sayyad 3 missile not 4 - or am I wrong?

red color is a universal code for test so that's that, as for if it's a Sayyad 3 missile?? it's not as the fins are completely different in shape and size so it's not Sayyad 3.

You have basically seen the Bavar 373.

I don’t know what more people want. The radars, the FC systems, the launchers have all be unveiled over time.

the results of those test against fighters and ballistic missiles we did not saw those yet and some good pictures of the system.

Back
Top Bottom