What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

but it changes trajectory look at this pics and you can clearly see TVC.
am i wrong?

Look at this video of the PAC-2. It makes the same sharp turn and offset nozzle at 00:13, but AFAIK it doesn't have TVC (I'd have to ask @eagle2007 to be sure about that). Sayyad-4 has a maximum altitude of 27 km and there's not much point in TVC unless you want to go above that.

Basically yes. Back then I didn't believe such a large X-band AESA would make economic sense. But now I think it uses normal TRM and Iran has managed to produce cost effective X-band arrays.
I still believe in the dual band concept if used against VLO target --> blind illumination concept.

A S-band array has a ~20dB benefit over a X-band one if used against VLO target. As dual band system the Bavar benefits from that while S-300/-400 relay on a single band X-band array.
The Bavar engagement radar is certainly lower power than a Tombstone but apparently achieves a higher gain to achieve the same or higher performance.

First you have a degree of redundancy. Total element, phase shifter, count is also lower.
The price should be higher yes, especially because these are AESAs. But good luck with jamming or even locating such a dual band AESA system.

So just to clarify, this smaller array with the SLC arrays is the X-band:
upload_2019-8-20_15-29-24.png

And this next one with the large IFF is the S-band?

upload_2019-8-20_15-29-45.png

Last edited:
It can be said that:
- Bavar with X-band asset can engage non-stealth targets at long ranges. It can also engage BMs.
- Bavar with S-band asset can engage stealth targets at close range
- Bavar with both radars combined and intact can engage stealth targets at long range. It also gets much more robust in terms of ECM and beaming/notching.

Meraj-4 and Nebo are strictly speaking not integral parts of the Bavar system but higher level assets. They support several Bavar batteries.

Yes one can be mislead by that. Look at Fatah launches at separatist Kurd targets and Sayyad-2 and Taer-2 launches. This course changes are possible just with fins.

well i be damned

one of the radars has a camera on it ( just for fun ) :lol: :tup:

Untijtled.jpg

It can be said that:
- Bavar with X-band asset can engage non-stealth targets at long ranges. It can also engage BMs.
- Bavar with S-band asset can engage stealth targets at close range
- Bavar with both radars combined and intact can engage stealth targets at long range. It also gets much more robust in terms of ECM and beaming/notching.

Meraj-4 and Nebo are strictly speaking not integral parts of the Bavar system but higher level assets. They support several Bavar batteries.

Look at this video of the PAC-2. It makes the same sharp turn and offset nozzle at 00:13, but AFAIK it doesn't have TVC (I'd have to ask @eagle2007 to be sure about that). Sayyad-4 has a maximum altitude performanceis 27 km and there's not much point in TVC unless you want to go above that.

So just to clarify, this smaller array with the SLC arrays is the X-band:View attachment 574970

And this next one with the large IFF is the S-band?

View attachment 574974

great work by my brothers i want to copy your post some times and i want to see if its OK by you guys?

Let me clarify two important technical details:
- You want your heavy SAM to point into the right intercept trajectory and direction before the boost kicks in fully and accelerates the SAM to a very high speed. Any change of course once at high speed creates heavy kinamtic and energy penalties you want to avoid.
But a long range engagement always follows the same upward ballistic trajectory. The losses are very small hence. So if other, smaller SAMs cover the shorter ranges and lower altitudes, you don't need TVC if your targets are air breathing.

- AESA for use as angagment radar is a waste: AESAs have the benefit of reliability. But engagement radars only work for minutes and seconds, no needs for the several thousand hours a AESA enables.
I can only explain it for achieving higher gain somehow. It of course brings other benefits, mainly in ECCM and ABM capabilities, but they are hardly worth the cost associated with it. S-500 however is claimed to use a AESA engagement radar too... My explanation is higher gain.

@skyshadow
Sure, everything is welcome to inform Iranians.

it's being lunched vertically which can intercept all threat coming from all direction's(unlike patriot which cover just one direction).....so why should we spend more money to get cold lunch?!.......

brother I'm not talking about this system which its real name is Sayyad 5 and most likely will be shown as Bavar 373. the one i am talking about is round tube and cold launch and it is equvenet to S-400 .

so to your qoustion cold launch has it advantges

My opinion

Sayyad-1 50KM

Sayyad-2 100KM / 2C 115KM

Sayyad-3 120KM / 3C 130KM

Sayyad-4 / 150KM

Sayyad-5 / Tlash 5 250KM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piDXSaUwVNc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvjAJc1LXhM

Are you sure Iran has a tube one with CL and is not S300? Are there some pics?

I am glad i finally saw Sayyad 4 vertical hot launch. This alone is a major achievement. I suspect there will be additional media content on Aug 22 and I think the PressTV clip is leaked early :D as you cannot find any of these contents on their homepage or YouTube channel.

I am glad i finally saw Sayyad 4 vertical hot launch. This alone is a major achievement. I suspect there will be additional media content on Aug 22 and I think the PressTV clip is leaked early :D as you cannot find any of these contents on their homepage or YouTube channel.
It's looks like celebrating Eid early day...
And that confirms there are total 3 Eid in 2019.:dance3:

I think we have a offcial record here too: This should be the first AESA based SAM with illumination capability.
Whether it is CW, FMCW or peudo/interrupted-CW/FMCW.
There is an AESA Patriot in the works and the S-500 will also feature it plus see based systems for use with Standard family of SAMs, but this is the first one of those systems still in work/testing.
That HQ-16 upgraded variant is still in work too.
3rd Khordad would be the only other system I know of but its not certain whether it is really a AESA, could be a unusual PESA design.

Btw. Again, the missile during testing looks different to the Sayyad-4 mock up. Point is: A giant 10x10 truck like the Zoljanah is too much for a Sayyad-4 like missile, maybe it has just reserves for a future larger missile. Maybe there are two different missile. Maybe the missile changed much from the early Sayyad-4 concept.

I think we have a offcial record here too: This should be the first AESA based SAM with illumination capability.
Whether it is CW, FMCW or peudo/interrupted-CW/FMCW.
There is an AESA Patriot in the works and the S-500 will also feature it plus see based systems for use with Standard family of SAMs, but this is the first one of those systems still in work/testing.
That HQ-16 upgraded variant is still in work too.
3rd Khordad would be the only other system I know of but its not certain whether it is really a AESA, could be a unusual PESA design.

Btw. Again, the missile during testing looks different to the Sayyad-4 mock up. Point is: A giant 10x10 truck like the Zoljanah is too much for a Sayyad-4 like missile, maybe it has just reserves for a future larger missile. Maybe there are two different missile. Maybe the missile changed much from the early Sayyad-4 concept.

most likely options are that those are Sayyad M and C models or it could be Sayyad A for all we know.

Note that the most similar system in layout is the TK-3 SAM from Taiwan:

AL-taiwan3-0212e_2x.jpg

Same gap between the twin canisters, hot, vertical launch.
Both sacrifice minimum range to avoid higher complexity and cost of a TVC and cold start system.
I hope to see a cold start TVC SAM component of the size of the Sayyad-2/3, to cover targets that require such reaction times and high altitude maneuverability.
However aside missile, even more critical are the radar systems.

Back
Top Bottom