What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

I generally hear about long range missiles like S200,300 and upcoming Bavar373. In Syria scene we have seen many cruise missile attacks with very low rate of interception. What is Irans answer as a shorad against cruise missiles to protect airbases and radar sites . Buk-Raad and Hawk-Shaheen can be used to some degree even against supersonic cruise missiles. There was also the purchased Tor system. Are there any recent developments? A variant of pantsyr maybe or similar shorad for subsonic more stealthy cruise missiles

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "many cruise missle attacks" I'm assuming you mean the one agaisnt the Syrian airbase. As far as I can tell, their was no attempt at interception of these cruise missiles at all. I was actually wondering the same if what systems and how they'd be used to detect and intercept a salvo of say 100 cruise missiles within a short time frame.

But consider that if their was a very low interception rate that also plays into irans favor as well as Iran is plenty full when it comes to missiles.

I can't say for the quality of these systems or how many operation units but some systems that comes to mind are

Shahab Thaqeb
Herz - 9
Mesbah

Their are actually alot of gun based automated AA systems, whether or not they've been tested significantly I dunno but I hope they are effective like a land based CIWS, should reduce costs alot I'd imagine.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "many cruise missle attacks" I'm assuming you mean the one agaisnt the Syrian airbase. As far as I can tell, their was no attempt at interception of these cruise missiles at all. I was actually wondering the same if what systems and how they'd be used to detect and intercept a salvo of say 100 cruise missiles within a short time frame.

But consider that if their was a very low interception rate that also plays into irans favor as well as Iran is plenty full when it comes to missiles.

I can't say for the quality of these systems or how many operation units but some systems that comes to mind are

Shahab Thaqeb
Herz - 9
Mesbah

Their are actually alot of gun based automated AA systems, whether or not they've been tested significantly I dunno but I hope they are effective like a land based CIWS, should reduce costs alot I'd imagine.

By many other than the Shayrat airbase tomahawk cm attack the israeli attacks from Lebanese and their own airspace hitting airbases in Damascus frequently. These attacks are most probably carried out by cruise missiles.

Crotale variants are good and open for improvement but connecting a multiple engagement radar similar to what you would use for bavar 373 to a shorad would be better in my opinion for saturation attacks.Also similar to barak 8 vertical launch would give 360 degree coverage. A much smaller and simpler sam than barak 8 would be enough for cruise missiles though.

Last edited:
http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2017/10/31/540434/Iran-unveils-new-military-radar-system-

Like this one for example. It is claimed to track 100 targets. It may be a coastline radar to detect ships with limited ability to counter air targets but there are better radars in Irans inventory that suits the purpose of short range air defense. At least 10-15 cruise missiles are launched to a single target like airbase or sam installation. It would also be an easier step while developing bavar373 since the short range rocket would be much more simple and much easier to be built but can perhaps use bavars radar and other systems or its own shorter range radar to engage multiple targets.

Crotale based systems would still be good to defend moving columns though where it is difficult to make a saturation cruise missile attack as position continiously changes unlike airbases.

http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2017/10/31/540434/Iran-unveils-new-military-radar-system-

Like this one for example. It is claimed to track 100 targets. It may be a coastline radar to detect ships with limited ability to counter air targets but there are better radars in Irans inventory that suits the purpose of short range air defense. At least 10-15 cruise missiles are launched to a single target like airbase or sam installation. It would also be an easier step while developing bavar373 since the short range rocket would be much more simple and much easier to be built but can perhaps use bavars radar and other systems or its own shorter range radar to engage multiple targets.

Crotale based systems would still be good to defend moving columns though where it is difficult to make a saturation cruise missile attack as position continiously changes unlike airbases.

I'm not really sure about the state of Iran SHORAD systems, but as far as i can tell their seems to be much more emphasis and focus on medium to high altitude threats (Talash, 3rdkhordad, Bavar etc..) . Those systems I mentioned earlier are some SHORADS I can think of on the top of my head, but I'm not sure how effective or how well secure the SHORAD architecture is in Iran, someone else might know more about that, but it most definitely must be required to intercept cruise missiles. I think their is a major weakness in this sector. Ultimately though, all the high-medium attitude systems should be supporting each other in some sort of air defense architecture concept which something I think Iran will be capable of soon. For example, the idea of S-300 - pantsir combination while shorads would focus on point defense over strategic targets and cities. Maybe they intend on Mersad playing this role, and have the other systems remain highly mobile. I'd imagine Mersad system could handle subsonic cruise missiles but really it comes down to how cost effective it is and is their cheaper and still effective options?

Last edited:
Unkown Iranian radar. details have not yet been announced
IMG_20171031_175836.jpg

Isnt it a derivation of S300 built with covert Russian assistance?

No. The bavar 373 project started in 2010, after Russia opposed the delivery of the S 300 system to iran. Some of the systems in bavar 373 system are completely different from any other systems.

Any chance this can be sqeezed thru in the underground tunnel , appear to be needed in Lebnoon /Palestine
p1168842.jpg

I did not see a tunnel so big that we could put that system in it. But Hezbollah is likely to have this system In the near future because it can be transmitted through Syria and Iraq to Lebanon. Iran always wants Hezbollah to have a lot of power to prevent or delay the Israeli attack.

Isnt it a derivation of S300 built with covert Russian assistance?
S-300 PMU-2 has range of almost 300 Km for detection and for engagement operates within 200 Km range.

B-373 detects the fighter jets at almost 400-450 Km range and engages with them at 300 Km, also with cruise missiles and BMs.

It's detection radar has similarity to it's American rivals and engagement radar looks like Russian radars. So i conclude it's completely made in Iran. We mad it when everybody sanctioned us.

Quite impressive Missiles , and SAMs , Iran has made great progress in such little time

cegrab-20151015-094822-164-1_3507468.jpg

The funniest part is that Israel says that Iran has only 100 of these missiles .Shahab 3 has only 300 missiles.:cheers:

S-300 PMU-2 has range of almost 300 Km for detection and for engagement operates within 200 Km range.

B-373 detects the fighter jets at almost 400-450 Km range and engages with them at 300 Km, also with cruise missiles and BMs.

It's detection radar has similarity to it's American rivals and engagement radar looks like Russian radars. So i conclude it's completely made in Iran. We mad it when everybody sanctioned us.

I can not wait until the next year for it to be operational so we can see missiles that are being fired from it.

Hezbullah+weapons+transport+map.jpg

Seems like a reasonable goal to safeguard Labnoon

It's not a secret that we are looking for influence from Tehran to the Mediterranean. Just as the Iranian leader says that Israel needs to be destroyed in 25 year, without war and from inside, this is why it will be a 25 year plan.

Back
Top Bottom