What's new

Iran to Rank 1st in Science, Technology by 2025

It means that if other Muslim countries are "Muslim", then so is Iran, and vice versa. Hope it clarifies your doubts.

I agree aggression on Iran will be attack in whole Islamic foundation no muslim country will be safe and thus a strong front is needed for any such misadventure by leaders in region

I agree aggression on Iran will be attack in whole Islamic foundation no muslim country will be safe and thus a strong front is needed for any such misadventure by leaders in region

Then why is Saudi Arabia against Iran? I'm sure the whole $30 billion F-15 deal is not for Iraq. :undecided:

Salam,
To our Iranian brothers and sisters (whom I consider as much Muslim as any other anywhere in the world), I gladly congratulate you on your scientific achievements. If such a measure as publications in "Scopus" listed journals is considered, then Iran (Islamic Republic) has now overtaken Turkey (in 2011) to become the highest "producer" of scientific articles in its region and amongst all members of the OIC.

If the Arab world were taken as one block, I would suspect that its publications would be higher and if the artificial borders, visa requirements, multiple different regimes subservient to the West could be dismantled in the Arab world, then the Arab world could easily multiply its scientific publications manifold.

BTW, to verify my claims about Iran having overtaken Turkey in 2011 (as measured by publications in SCOPUS listed journals), you need to have a loginID and password to SCOPUS, or you need to wait half a year or more until SCIGOMAJR update their database.

Once again, best wishes to Iran and congratulations, despite its mistakes and limitations (which all human beings of our time have actually).

thanks for the info
any chance you could get a print screen if you're allowed to? Thanks again.

Iran Produces 1st N. Fuel Rod Needed for Tehran Research Reactor
TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian experts produced and successfully tested the first home-made uranium rod to fuel the Tehran research reactor, sources announced on Sunday.

Iranian scientists transferred the home-made nuclear fuel rod into the heart of the Tehran research reactor after conducting all the necessary physical and dimensional tests to study its function in operational conditions.

According to the report, the fuel rod with 1,500 mw/h of radioactivity has passed neutron and non-leakage tests successfully and is now under study for longer duration of radioactivity.

The achievement came while the western states refrained from supplying nuclear fuel to the research reactor in a violation of their NPT (Non-Proliferation Treaty) undertakings.

Iranian experts produced the fuel rod for the Tehran research reactor in December after enriching uranium to the purity level of 20% and it took them almost a month to carry out the initial tests.

A report released by "The Nuclear Iran" website said the country had at the time "finalized production of the 20-percent-enriched fuel for the Tehran research reactor" thanks to the efforts made by a number of Iranian nuclear scientists and through relying on home grown know-how and technology.

Late in October, Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi had said "around 70 kilograms of (20-percent-enriched) uranium had been produced in Iran" by then, according to the latest inventory report he had seen, dating from September.

In June, Iran's permanent representative to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Ali Asqar Soltaniyeh said that Iran had produced over 50 kg of 20-percent-enriched uranium till then.

Soltaniyeh said that "we need 120 kg of enrichment up to 20 percent ... for the Tehran reactor".

After western suppliers shrugged off Iran's request for the supply of nuclear fuel for the Tehran research reactor, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad ordered the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) to provide and install the necessary equipments to start enriching uranium to the purity level of 20% to feed the research reactor which produces radioisotopes for medicinal use.

The country on February 2, 2010, started injecting gas into a cascade of centrifuges to enrich uranium to the purity level of 20% to supply fuel for its research reactor, all under the supervision of the IAEA inspectors.

After Iran announced to the IAEA that it had run out of nuclear fuel for its research reactor in Tehran, the Agency proposed a deal according to which Iran would send 3.5%-enriched uranium and receive 20-percent-enriched uranium from potential suppliers in return, all through the UN nuclear watchdog agency.

The proposal was first introduced on October 1, 2010, when Iranian representatives and diplomats from the Group 5+1 held high-level talks in Geneva.

But France and the United States, as potential suppliers, stalled the talks soon after the start. They offered a deal which would keep Tehran waiting for months before it could obtain the fuel, a luxury of time that Iran could afford as it was about to run out of 20-percent-enriched uranium.

Iranian lawmakers rejected the deal after technical studies showed that it would only take two to three months for any country to further enrich the nuclear stockpile and turn it into metal nuclear plates for the Tehran Research Reactor, while suppliers had announced that they would not return fuel to Iran any less than seven months.

Iran then put forward its own proposal that envisaged a two-staged exchange. According to Tehran's offer, the IAEA safeguards nearly one third of Iran's uranium stockpile inside the Iranian territory for the time that it takes to find a supplier. The western countries opposed Tehran's proposal.

After West's opposition to Iran's proposal, Iranian, Brazilian and Turkish officials on May 17, 2010, signed an agreement named the 'Tehran Declaration' which presented a solution to a longstanding standoff between Iran and potential suppliers of nuclear fuel. According to the agreement, Iran would send some 1200 kg of its 3.5% enriched uranium to Turkey in exchange for a total 120 kg of 20% enriched fuel.

But again the western countries showed a negative and surprising reaction to the Tehran Declaration and sponsored a sanctions resolution against Iran at the UN Security Council instead of taking the opportunity presented by the agreement.

Russia, France, and the US, in three separate letters, instead of giving a definite response to the Tehran Declaration, raised some questions about the deal, and the US took a draft sanctions resolution against Iran to the UN Security Council, which was later approved by the Council.

Iran in a letter responded to the questions raised by the Vienna Group on the Tehran Declaration and voiced its preparedness to hold talks.

In a later move, IAEA Director-General Yukiya Amano proposed a plan to resume talks between the two sides, and Iran's former Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki announced Tehran's agreement with Amano's proposal.

"Iran is ready to take part in the meeting brokered by Amano," the then Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said.

Yet, the western suppliers postponed the meeting, making it unclear if they would ever start considering Iran's request seriously.

Accordingly, Iran announced that it would continue domestic enrichment plans to supply fuel for its reactor as it would never allow the western powers to play games or trample upon its rights in exchange for nuclear fuel.

Yes, that is how it is my brother. While Egypt today must develop a political system which is relatively democratic but more importantly it must be a system which allows for future changes to be make. And this is just 1% of the work. The rest of 99% is going to be hard work and sacrifice for decades to come. As for Iran they are working and sacrificing to keep the progress going while keeping their sovereignty intact. But Iran also has challenges ahead. Its economic structure must be reformed to allow for high growth and as well they need to keep adjusting their political systems.

In the past two years, Iran has started to re-structure its economy by removing subsidies and tax reform, the results of which have not yet come out. As for their political system, they have changed their constitution and power structure a couple of times since revolution. Many laws have been experimented with and Iranians now have some experience in home grown legislation and political system planning. But their biggest challenge in their political reform is yet to be done. This challenge I believe is to make the seat of supreme leader to have a tenure. While all political posts today in Iran are either directly or indirectly elected, and this makes Iran a democracy but because Supreme leader seat of power does not have a set amount of years in power as per constitution, this makes their system a bit flawed. Now some people also challenge that in Iran guardian council vets candidates for election, but this is nothing new as in all democracies there are bodies that do such a job. For example in most western countries candidates must be background checked by intelligence agencies in a very non-transparent way and this is considered legal. In many others there are lobbies that do this job illegally but in a hush hush way.

So Iran is not different, only they have to make some changes to their constitution to make this process more transparent. If they do such a thing then their system is going to be even more democratic than even some western countries. In addition, while it is understandable that Iran has created a multi centered political system with different levels of power and has even two different armies in order to reduce the possibility of foreign instigated coup but they need make some small adjustments to it as I said. Right now supreme leader in Iran is indirectly elected by people through a special separate parliament called assembly of experts. This parliament can elect and remove the supreme leader. It can be said that it is completely democratic much like how prime ministers are elected in other democratic countries except that Supreme leader position does not have a tenure. I believe Iran needs a supreme leader in addition to president since it gives an advantage by making consistent long term plans for the country more viable. While presidents change more quickly and most try to do only short term projects that benefit their voting bank but supreme leader is more long term and thus its plans are long term too.

That is why I believe Iranians should change their constitution to make seat of supreme leader a long term political post with a tenure of let's say 7 to 10 years, after which there has to be a new voting in assembly of experts to either re-elect him or elect a new one. That way Iran's political system will become much closer to ideal while still retaining its long term planning option. As Iran progresses, I believe this is going to be their biggest challenge to introduce a tenure for the supreme leader in constitution. I think it is possible for Iranians to expect this to happen in the next 15 years, as people become more politically mature and Iran's economy and science progresses. At any rate this change will probably happen when Khamenei who is in his late seventies dies and in a way this current time can be considered the last "term" of Khamenei as supreme leader. But if Iranians try to instigate a coup, revolution or attack by US and regime change then all the progress in Iran will stop for a very very long time and Iran will fall behind definitely. They can not expect to have the world's fastest growth rate in science and technology any time soon or if ever.

Once this change happens to Iran's constitution, Iran will become much a different place. Being majority Muslim and having integrated its Islamic belief in a democratic system, with complete tolerance for Jews, Christians and Zoroastrians as is already. As for human rights again this is a relative term, as human rights are even abused in west but with time both Iran and Egypt can be hopeful to improve as people become more aware and the political system is slowly adjusted to reflect that awareness. There is alot of things we can learn from each other, it seems.

Bold part is very important. I think the tenure for the supreme leader will happen in an appropriate time. This could not be started right after the revolution.

Bold part is very important. I think the tenure for the supreme leader will happen in an appropriate time. This could not be started right after the revolution.

Thanks for being able to see what I wanted to say. I believe alot of third world problem is because people themselves are not yet mature politically. They want change, without knowing what it means. As I had said, with time as Iranians get mature, supreme leader would have a tenure in office just like other democratic institutions in the country. But I think this is 5 to 15 years away depending on lots of factors.

I am sure the quality of science reports Iran making are useless, its not about quantity, its about quality too.

Also I am sure some of the top nations dont send in all they reports, as it can easily be spreader to another nation as it passes through many hands

I am sure the quality of science reports Iran making are useless, its not about quantity, its about quality too.

Also I am sure some of the top nations dont send in all they reports, as it can easily be spreader to another nation as it passes through many hands

When one does not know about something it is safe to keep the mouth shut. Your comment shows you know nothing of how scientific citation and article indexing works. Go and learn some stuff before coming here and ridiculing yourself. Iran's quality of scientific research is on par with Singapore as per British Government report. And all scientific articles get indexed so your argument about "not reporting" is again a moronic one.

When one does not know about something it is safe to keep the mouth shut. Your comment shows you know nothing of how scientific citation and article indexing works. Go and learn some stuff before coming here and ridiculing yourself. Iran's quality of scientific research is on par with Singapore as per British Government report. And all scientific articles get indexed so your argument about "not reporting" is again a moronic one.

Please, don't make me laugh, how a city Singapore is on par with the great British history and empire. UK are still in the top 10% in science, we invent many things, and Iran is no way near to be number 1 in anything Science related.

Please, don't make me laugh, how a city Singapore is on par with the great British history and empire. UK are still in the top 10% in science, we invent many things, and Iran is no way near to be number 1 in anything Science related.

As I said you are a moron. British government says, Iran's research quality is on par with Singapore and just marginally below that of Russia. You can laugh as much as you want. It would not change the facts one bit.

thanks for the info
any chance you could get a print screen if you're allowed to? Thanks again.

You may ask any of your friends, professors or researchers at Iranian universities. I mean, it is not advisable to do as you say. Or as an alternative, go to sciencedirect.com, there you can carry out "advanced search" with "Iran" as "affiliation" and "Turkey" as "Affiliation" to compare the statistics for 2011. Well, sciencedirect lists fewer journals than Scopus, so fewer publications will be shown but you will obtain the general trend.

And all of this has been achieved not only with sanctions, political uncertainty, threats of war, economic troubles, but also with hugely restricted access to Western sources of scientific information. The perseverance and hard work of individuals is to be praised who have done all this despite huge obstacles placed in front of them.

Imagine if roadblocks were removed ...

Back
Top Bottom