What's new

Iran to Purchase Sukhoi-30 Fighter Jets From Russia

It is about time IRIAF modernizes itself given the geo political realities of the region and the massive build up by other Gulf states. Congratulations to Iran. Su-30 is an excellent choice.

Iran shouldn't rely on Russia alone should diversify its tech procurement's. China is reliable and perfect to serve Iranian interests in various fields.

Iran shouldn't rely on Russia alone should diversify its tech procurement's. China is reliable and perfect to serve Iranian interests in various fields.
Iran is not looking at Chinese fighter for now. The reason Iran is interested in Russian fighters is they are almost fully built by Russian firms. Iran is in good terms with Russian and the way I see it both side like this relation to continue so Iran can expect to receive support for the products it purchases for a good length of time into the future.

On the contrary, Chinese developments are not fully built in China or by Chinese firms. For example J-10 uses western avionics and engines. So even if we are in good terms with China, if West decides to put a sanction on Iran again, that means the J-10s will not be delivered or serviced.

Iran is not looking at Chinese fighter for now. The reason Iran is interested in Russian fighters is they are almost fully built by Russian firms. Iran is in good terms with Russian and the way I see it both side like this relation to continue so Iran can expect to receive support for the products it purchases for a good length of time into the future.

On the contrary, Chinese developments are not fully built in China or by Chinese firms. For example J-10 uses western avionics and engines. So even if we are in good terms with China, if West decides to put a sanction on Iran again, that means the J-10s will not be delivered or serviced.
On the contrary Russians have more western input than Chinese in their equipment. The avionics and engine on J-10 are not western-----------In fact nothing on it is, and in case you are forgetting China is under military sanctions by the west. Lastly lets not forget, when Russians decided not to give Iran S-300's because of the western pressure and the Iranians decided to resort to legal procedures.

On the contrary Russians have more western input than Chinese in their equipment. The avionics and engine on J-10 are not western-----------In fact nothing on it is, and in case you are forgetting China is under military sanctions by the west. Lastly lets not forget, when Russians decided not to give Iran S-300's because of the western pressure and the Iranians decided to resort to legal procedures.
Here is a link to the WS-10 info that is rumored to power J-10. As you can see it is rooted back to GE CFM-56II. While China produces from A to Z of almost anything, most of the are under license of western companies. Please remember that not honoring copy rights has grave consequences for China. So they can't just copy an American jet engine. As you can see they bought the original model from GE. Such developments come with hundreds of patents that are under control of the original manufacturer who can pose limitations on its use whenever it wants. So even if they change it from the original design, they are still bound by patents for any parts that may have remained the same as original one.

Shenyang WS-10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In case of SU-30 the most important parts are all Russian or are easily replaceable by Russian counterparts.

Lastly I'm quoting Iran's defense minister. I trust him when he says he has closely examined J-10 and the power plants and avionics are Western.

Here is a link to the WS-10 info that is rumored to power J-10. As you can see it is rooted back to GE CFM-56II. While China produces from A to Z of almost anything, most of the are under license of western companies. Please remember that not honoring copy rights has grave consequences for China. So they can't just copy an American jet engine. As you can see they bought the original model from GE. Such developments come with hundreds of patents that are under control of the original manufacturer who can pose limitations on its use whenever it wants. So even if they change it from the original design, they are still bound by patents for any parts that may have remained the same as original one.

Shenyang WS-10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In case of SU-30 the most important parts are all Russian or are easily replaceable by Russian counterparts.

Lastly I'm quoting Iran's defense minister. I trust him when he says he has closely examined J-10 and the power plants and avionics are Western.
J-10 is powered by AL-31FN, WS-10 isn't even operation yet and just because its based on a western engine design doesn't mean its under a license, if that were true it would have been operational ages ago-------------You have to prove that which parts on J-10 are western, even if Iranian president will say that J-10 has western parts, it wont necessarily become true. France refused to give avionics to Pakistan for JF-17 because they didn't want them getting into Chinese hands.

Chinese doesn't have anything for export that is able to counter F15S , F16 B60 , F18 .... J10 is good but it is short ranger multi role fighters .... our urgent need is Air superiority fighters that can secure our sky alongside with our Anti Air Missile Systems ....

and look like IRAF officials and pilot observed Su30 when those birds passed Iran ... ( maybe they even test this birds ) ...

Chinese doesn't have anything for export that is able to counter F15S , F16 B60 , F18 .... J10 is good but it is short ranger multi role fighters .... our urgent need is Air superiority fighters that can secure our sky alongside with our Anti Air Missile Systems ....

and look like IRAF officials and pilot observed Su30 when those birds passed Iran ... ( maybe they even test this birds ) ...
You don't need just air superiority fighters, you require a whole lot of other equipment and relying on Russia alone wont be a wise move considering how they refused to supply S-300 to Iran, when Iran was in dire need. Chinese do have a lot to offer and to simply say that J-10 cannot counter f-15, is entirely preposterous and subjective. Why not think ahead of time and go for J-31 stealth? The point is, possibilities are many. You just gotta learn to not put all your eggs in one basket.

Congratulations Iran.
If they buy around 100 of these beasts then it will definitely change the power structures in ME .

man you all are trolling the hell out of us now.

can't blame you. we got a parasite known as Israel sucking the blood out of us so I guess we deserve it

surprise you all didn't get get Su-27/30s sooner
Su30 is readily available without wait compare to US35. SU35 has very slow production rate.

@Djinn bro ,the problem with chinese fighters is that they are way behind russian ones in capability .

Iran needs a fighter to turn the table not a fighter to replace old F-5s . we can go for FC-31 though but i'm sure they are not interested in selling them

@Djinn bro ,the problem with chinese fighters is that they are way behind russian ones in capability .

Iran needs a fighter to turn the table not a fighter to replace old F-5s . we can go for FC-31 though but i'm sure they are not interested in selling them

It is. In the recent defense minister interview he mentioned it will be in the form of technology transfer/assembly in Iran.

Oh boy! imagine that.

Sukhoi 30 maneuverability is still kind of unique. It can do Cobra rise maneuver and break off Dupler system lock.

It is definitely Su-30. The defense minister confirmed it. The number purchased was not disclosed. However it will be an upgraded one with the latest avionics and radars.

I think he said they will first work on Kosar training jet which is more urgent. For the other one you mentioned he said they have started preliminary talks to start working on after Kosar project is complete.

It appears, the only thing they offered was J-10 which does not meet Iran's requirements. Beside Su-30 forms a family of war planes from legacy Su-27 to strike fighter Su-34 to fifth generation air superiority fighter PAKFA. Any investment in Su-30 would mean future options for diversification. Besides all these platforms use a common design which would make their future upgrades easier and cost effective.

Russia has even designed Yak-130 trainer to mimic the characteristics of Su-30 family for pilot training and practice, for a fraction of flight hour cost of operating Su-30's. Together these would make any air force formidable.

In some ways the PAKFA is even superior to F-22: Assessing the Sukhoi PAK-FA / Sukhoi/KnAAPO T-50/I-21/Article701 PAK-FA Перспективный Авиационный Комплекс Фронтовой Авиации

Add to this the factor that PAKFA is actually a continuation of Su-30 family, this would mean great benefits for any air force operating Su-30 with access to its technologies. No other country has a similar model of development here. Even US does not offer such a possibility since US fighter designs are not evolutionary like Russians but of a revolutionary nature with F-15 having nothing to do with F-22 for example.

I believe the game has gone beyond fighter jets. You need AWAC's, SAM's, drones, ECM, ground surveillance etc. China can certainly provide Iran with some of these, especially AWACS----------Correct me if i am wrong, but Russia doesn't export AWAC's. FC-31 is for sale to other countries, if Iran really is interested it should explore all these options.
KJ2000_AWACS_china_air_force.jpg

images

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom