What's new

Iran sports thread

VOLLEYBALL 14/09/2014
RELENTLESS GHAFOUR GUIDES IRAN TO A KEY WIN OVER SERBIA

GetImage.asmx

Lodz, Poland, September 14, 2014 - Iran earned a crucial win to maintain their hopes in Poland as they prevailed over Serbia 3-1 (27-25, 22-25, 25-22, 25-18) and wait for other Pool E results to make it to the third round.
Key points
• Iran is already on their best performance at the tournament, as they never placed above 19th place in their four previous participations.
• The head-to-head record now belongs to the Asian team, by a slim 3-2.
• Their only previous duel at the competition was in 1970, when former Yugoslavia beat Iran 3-2.
• Serbia had reached semifinals in their four last runs at FIVB World Championship - including Yugoslavia and Serbia & Montenegro campaigns, from 1998 to 2010.
Amir Ghafour was again a scoring machine as he uncorked 30 points for the winning side, passing all other scorers by a wide margin. Serbia had two players who placed near the Iranian killer - Aleksandar Atanasijevic and left-handed Uros Kovacevic, both with 18 tallies.
GetImage.asmx

Despite the absence of Milos Nikic and Nikola Kovacevic, Serbia was able to battle. However, Ghafour was the lighthouse for Iran as he nailed 10 points and carried his side to the win, especially in the final track. Nemanja Petric scored a 22-20 for Serbia, but Ghafour became the key and Iran climbed back to 24-23. Mousavi made the effort worthy and sealed the 27-25.
Iran kept going to 10-8 in the second set, but Petric got at the helm for Serbia and Uros Kovacevic teamed up to draw numbers of 18-16 for the Europeans. Even though Iran stopped losing ground, Marko Podrascanin was a safe choice for Serbia as he spiked to 23-21 and Kovacevic blocked to establish the final gap. A failed Iranian serve settled the 25-22.
However, Serbia didn’t quite come back to the game and Iran rapidly advanced to 7-2, creating a lead that Ghafour sustained with another batch of 10 points. The Iranian side moved on to 16-12 with their bomber in top shape and Serbia steadily lost their power. Armin Tashakori and Mojtaba Mirzajanpour completed the 25-22.
The fourth set breezed past quickly as Serbia couldn’t regain their form and Iran blocked firmly to demolish every hope. The Asian side moved from 11-3 to 16-9, even with Serbia chaining a couple of points. The final track showed Iran ahead by a comfortable 20-13 and Ghafour took care of the rest. Serbia gave Iran a bunch of match balls with a long serve and Ghafour smashed the 25-18.

Serbia captain Dragan Stankovic: "It's always difficult to find motivation in a game that won't matter any more, but it's also never good to finish the tournament with a loss. I can only wish good luck to Iran and hope that they will make it into the third phase. They played really beautiful volleyball for the whole tournament, they deserve it."

at least serbs are polite !!

GetImage.asmx

GetImage.asmx

GetImage.asmx

GetImage.asmx

GetImage.asmx

Last edited:
@proka89

u guys won the basketball match , we won the volleyball one .

so its 1-1 :lol:

JK

And we just got owned by US in FIBA World Cup finals. We didn't play bad but US team was great, and to much of challenge for us. But we are second in the world right now :dance3::dance3::dance3:

And good luck to you guys. I am cheering for Iran, after all you have Serbian head coach :D

Iran will play against France and Germany in 3rd round. Brazil, Poland and Russia are in the other pool.
We LUCCCCCCKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED out big time by not getting Brazil, Russia and Poland in the next round.

Brazil hasn't lost a single game so far and they've only lost 4 sets in total (in the first round they didn't lose a single set). Russia and Poland are strong too.

I think we can beat France this time. Germany I know nothing about.

And we just got owned by US in FIBA World Cup finals. We didn't play bad but US team was great, and to much of challenge for us. But we are second in the world right now
i am not sure about getting owned . serbia played very well IMO .

US is the king of basketball and playing like that in front of them is actually really good , 40 points is not actually that big of a deal :d

i watched the highlights and kalinic played good

I am cheering for Iran, after all you have Serbian head coach
Tnx mate

true , he was in your national team some years ago :D

Germany has a good team but they're not better than US , Poland , France and even Italy .

I think we can beat Germany if crazy things don't happen .

France is 50 / 50 .

Germany has a good team but they're not better than US , Poland , France and even Italy .

I think we can beat Germany if crazy things don't happen .

France is 50 / 50 .
One more lucky point is that, we are to play with Germany, while they have played France in less than 24 hours, lucky us.
I think the key point for us is the GER-FRA game, if France could beat Germany in 3 sets then there would stand a good chance for us to go through.

Well something we could expect , we lost 4-1 in footbal to Vietnam in Asian under 21years old
Wait, this is in the Asian Games?

LOL WUT? Is this the normal roster or did they send some random rejects? Haven't kept up with TM news since the World Cup.

Wait, this is in the Asian Games?

LOL WUT? Is this the normal roster or did they send some random rejects? Haven't kept up with TM news since the World Cup.

This team was full of young talents like Mehdi Sharifi, Kaveh Rezaei, Ali Karimi or Khanzadeh.

This team was full of young talents like Mehdi Sharifi, Kaveh Rezaei, Ali Karimi or Khanzadeh.

**** I'm not even gonna watch the highlights. Too painful.

Football is probably the number 1 cause of premature aging among Iranians.

Back
Top Bottom