What's new

Iran, India oil rumpus has wider implications: Clyde Russell

reason is simple...

we cant ignore israel,especially when we have alternatives..although we tried through german banks

what the hell are you talking about?
so how are other countries, staunch US allies at that, paying Iran?
And as the article mentioned, you guys HAVE CHOSEN not to deal with Iran under American pressure.

"India hasn't paid Iran for oil since December after the Reserve Bank of India halted a clearing mechanism under U.S. pressure to crack down on doing business with Iran."

Again, extremely pathetic how a giant country acts like a slave to a dying power such as the US. So pathetic.

Name one country that is doing so without the barter system in place. I know this because I have practically tried importing from IRAN. All payments of all countries were being routed via Euro route in Germany. That has now been stopped.

A loss - loss situation for both country. India should paid the debt amount as qucikly as possible. Iran is one of the most friendly nation of India, we should not abandon her.

The poor leadership in Iran is isolating itself from the world.

Iranian concerns are very valid.
I am wondering why other side of politics (BJP lead worst opposition in the history of Independent India) is not pulling GoIndia because Indian diplomacy has no such doctrine/ethics that we fell into one group at the cost of another nation. One may say that it has something to do with rants made by Iranian head against India on Kashmir but it would be very very difficult to accept given our trade tendencies with China and other states with pending disputes.

I am still finding it hard that they are bending to US pressure, i will wait for some more revelations to come out. Till then i hope for the best that our relationship with all ME countries including Iran will prevail. If rest of the world has issues with Iran then they are well capable to resolve those the way they want. If India think that now Iran is not worth a partner then she should be more upfront in saying so than doing cowardly malpractices like the one we are discussing.

Name one country that is doing so without the barter system in place. I know this because I have practically tried importing from IRAN. All payments of all countries were being routed via Euro route in Germany. That has now been stopped.

I really don't understand what you're saying
explain to me how Japan is paying Iran

Iranian concerns are very valid.
I am wondering why other side of politics (BJP lead worst opposition in the history of Independent India) is not pulling GoIndia because Indian diplomacy has no such doctrine/ethics that we fell into one group at the cost of another nation. One may say that it has something to do with rants made by Iranian head against India on Kashmir but it would be very very difficult to accept given our trade tendencies with China and other states with pending disputes.

I am still finding it hard that they are bending to US pressure, i will wait for some more revelations to come out. Till then i hope for the best that our relationship with all ME countries including Iran will prevail. If rest of the world has issues with Iran then they are well capable to resolve those the way they want. If India think that now Iran is not worth a partner then she should be more upfront in saying so than doing cowardly malpractices like the one we are discussing.

That's an honest statement, but I don't think it is in line with the present indian policy. India has taken her chance with the US and israel and there's no going back.

This is a matter of Concern, the policies of this Congress Party will hurt us in the long term for sure. Where is the independence in our foreign policy which we are proud of when we buckle under such pressure.

It's humorous to see some analysts who read into a few obscure articles and think that they understand the underlying notes between foreign countries they don't live in.The ground realities are starkly different from what Mr. Clyde Russell perceives to be the norm.Consider the following;

Before 9/11 happened,Saudi Arabia was considered to be the spokesperson of all Islamic countries.They had it going for them in more ways than one(extremely rich,plentiful oil reserves,great relations with the US) and used the leverage as exhibiting herself as the paradigm that Islamic nations should strive to emulate. Post 9/11 came a whole lot of flak in their direction(majority of the hijackers were Saudi citizens,Bin Laden was a Saudi,major funding for terror cells been routed through the country etc.).In essence,Saudi Arabia was forced to give up it's position as the leader of Islamic nations and started to promote it's status as a secular and moderate nation.

Here's where Iran comes in.The void left by Saudi Arabia was taken up by Iran who started to champion the cause of Islamic countries the world over.Relations with India took a nosedive when the the Supreme Leader of Iran, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei,compared the Palestinian struggle with Kashmir in a speech.Iran also questioned ISRO's decision to launch Israeli satellites via Indian rockets despite being assured by India that it was a purely commercial venture.India became irritated and voted against Iran in the IAEA as well as refrained to vote from a resolution condemning Iran at the UN(India had previously always voted out such resolutions).

Ergo, India and Iran have been trading punches for a while now and this might very well be the showdown between them.Where does the United States and banks fit into all this? the U.S government bans any financial agencies to conduct business with Iranian banks in order to prevent them from purchasing and developing nuclear weapons or a ballistic missile program.

But since the war on terror,former president George.W.Bush practically shifted more than half of the intelligence force from the corporate crimes department to the WMD division.This led to the widespread financial fraud being perpetrated during the period and one of them was the British bank, the Lloyds TSB Group laundering money for funding the Iranian Ballistic Missile program.The scam proved to be a success since Tehran now successfully produces yellowcake and has an active missile program.Enraged at the same,the US is clamping down hard at all banks that deal with Iranian banks even for benign purposes.Classic American habit of first being ignorant and then overcompensating.

And that,is what the article above isn't telling you.

That's an honest statement, but I don't think it is in line with the present indian policy. India has taken her chance with the US and israel and there's no going back.

Please explain chance.

We support Palestine as a state and are biggest donor of aid to them if you do not know.

We opposed actions of west against Libya irrespective of what Gaddafi and his sons did against us; ranted in UN and lobbied for pro Pakistan Kashmiri cause.

We bought Israeli weapons during Kargil war and since then our procurement has been tedious for all suppliers as it was before, same experiences USA has with us. We are paying hard earned money for weapons they are offering to us because of reputation we have earned so far and their is no harm in testing where we stand with them especially when other provider Russia is a good friend and is a supplier of best he can to her capacity.

Our nuclear reactors were/are working to 30-40% capacity only and population was rioting on streets for electricity. We pressured USA and our PM assured the very house of representatives personally that we will abide all the laws of NTP regime. It was hell lot of an effort, a chance and worth a try. All we needed was fuel and one can see from recent shift of NTP regime on ENR technology that we are GOI not much worried about that.

Indian bureaucrats are hard nutshells to crack and are pretty mean while floating foreign affairs; as independent as they can. Just recent Mrs. Clinton visit was tagged as non event by Indian media but has made many Chinese and Pakistani think tanks go insecure though.

Regards

The difficulties with the Iran payments are very unfortunate. However India cannot afford to go against western nations in an overt way at the present time. We also have to be sympathetic to Israeli concerns.

India abstained from the Libya resolution in the UNSC, even though several Arab nations were supporting an attack on their own Muslim brother. But it is not realistic to expect India to take a "defiant position" in the next 10 or 20 years.

Please explain chance.

We support Palestine as a state and are biggest donor of aid to them if you do not know.

We opposed actions of west against Libya irrespective of what Gaddafi and his sons did against us; ranted in UN and lobbied for pro Pakistan Kashmiri cause.

We bought Israeli weapons during Kargil war and since then our procurement has been tedious for all suppliers as it was before, same experiences USA has with us. We are paying hard earned money for weapons they are offering to us because of reputation we have earned so far and their is no harm in testing where we stand with them especially when other provider Russia is a good friend and is a supplier of best he can to her capacity.

Our nuclear reactors were/are working to 30-40% capacity only and population was rioting on streets for electricity. We pressured USA and our PM assured the very house of representatives personally that we will abide all the laws of NTP regime. It was hell lot of an effort, a chance and worth a try. All we needed was fuel and one can see from recent shift of NTP regime on ENR technology that we are GOI not much worried about that.

Indian bureaucrats are hard nutshells to crack and are pretty mean while floating foreign affairs; as independent as they can. Just recent Mrs. Clinton visit was tagged as non event by Indian media but has made many Chinese and Pakistani think tanks go insecure though.

Regards

Whether you like it or not, the present indian foreign policy is pro-american, pro-israeli. Not only Pakistan, as far as the Muslim World is concerned, the indian and the US policy are identical. The indian government and the public strongly believe that the US is invincible, not only militarily but also economically and they have tailored their present foreign policy accordingly. This is what I mean by 'india has taken her chance with the US and israel'.

Whether you like it or not, the present indian foreign policy is pro-american, pro-israeli. Not only Pakistan, as far as the Muslim World is concerned, the indian and the US policy are identical. The indian government and the public strongly believe that the US is invincible, not only militarily but also economically and they have tailored their present foreign policy accordingly. This is what I mean by 'india has taken her chance with the US and israel'.

The reality is that Pakistan has been getting tremendous amounts of India-specific military aid from the US for the past 60+ years. Even today, the military aid is still flowing. If there is any disagreement between India and the US, Pakistan would love to have full-fledged India-specific US military aid resumed.

"NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Iran has upped the ante in an oil payments row with India and halted crude supplies in August, company sources said on Thursday, forcing Indian refiners to seek shipments from alternative suppliers including top exporter Saudi Arabia.
Since December, India and Iran have struggled to find ways for New Delhi to pay for 400,000 barrels per day or 12 percent of its oil demand after the Reserve Bank of India halted a clearing mechanism under US pressure.
That move won praise from Washington, which is using sanctions in a bid to get Tehran to halt its nuclear programme.
Indian firms Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Ltd , Iran’s biggest Indian client, BPCL , IOC , HPCL and Essar buy crude from the Islamic Republic and their collective debt to Iran since the crisis broke out has risen to more than $5 billion.
None of the five refiners have received a crude supply plan from Iran for August loading cargoes, officials and executives at the companies said on condition of anonymity.
Iran has told BPCL, HPCL and Essar that they will receive no supply in August, said a source at Saudi Aramco, which has been approached by these companies for extra volumes. IOC and MRPL have so far not asked for additional Saudi oil. MRPL is still hopeful it will get a late allocation from Iran, a company source said.
“BPCL, HPCL and Essar have told us that they have not received allocation (from Iran for August). They did not get a response from Iran and they want to secure supplies,” an executive with Saudi Aramco, who declined to be named, said.
Iran sent refiners a letter on June 27 threatening to halt supplies and has followed through on its threat. Iran refused to sell crude to India’s second-largest refiner BPCL in August because it could not pay, a BPCL source said. BPCL has secured oil from Saudi Arabia instead, the source added.
“So there will be no supplies from Iran in August but we have arranged volumes from Saudi Arabia,” the source said.
Iran is India’s second-biggest supplier and refiners had already turned to the world’s top exporter Saudi Arabia and other Middle East producers the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Iraq for extra barrels to replace those at stake."

Iran halts oil supply to India | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

What pro America, what pro Israel please tell me one single example this time if you can without making boiler plate statements like many B grade green Pakistani blogs make.

Define Identical policies.

India is not running WOT like USA and Pakistan is.

India is not assisting onslaught on Libya.

India is not instigating anyone in Iran against its own regime.

India condemned Gaza flotilla attack with most blunt diplomatic language.

Support to Palestine state and aid example i have already given to you, what rest of the Muslim world has practically or objectively done for Palestine?

What on earth you have find identical in USA and Indian foreign policy? Though there is plenty common in USA and India because both are democratic, secular liberal etc ect. states. India has nothing to conspire against USA or western world like many factions in Muslim world are doing. Our friendship with USA is natural not compromise or thrust upon liability.

Relationship between USA and Pakistan, good or bad is non of our concern. We believe that Pakistan is capable of pulling this recent nose dive, if she seriously wants. There is no visible policy change in Indian diplomacy vis a vis this disturbed US-Pak ties. We are still continuing bilateral talk on terms detailed in previous talks with Pakistan. We haven't moved a single company at borders with Pakistan since their saturation has significantly decreased. The IB, LOC and ceasefire is still intact.

Having said that there is nothing to dislike if it is true as you have strangely mentioned and who is this Muslim world who think India has become pro USA against so called Muslim world's will? Only an Idiot would mess with a super power, heck even Chinese war and nuclear doctrine is based on deterrence not offence (read scared of USA and Russia).

India is doing bussiness with all Muslim states as usual. We do not care if there is any state in exception (read Pakistan) or some pseudo religious organization like OIC has anything to say against us.

Yes this particular issues with Iran is definitely a concern and its clearly visible from posts of majority of sane Indian members here.

Back
Top Bottom