What's new

Iran, India oil rumpus has wider implications: Clyde Russell

The reality is that Pakistan has been getting tremendous amounts of India-specific military aid from the US for the past 60+ years. Even today, the military aid is still flowing. If there is any disagreement between India and the US, Pakistan would love to have full-fledged India-specific US military aid resumed.

There's simply no comparison between the last twenty years and the years before that. The dissolution of the USSR has changed everything. The fear of communism has been replaced by the fear of Islam in the west. The west has gone back to the age of crusade. Though publicly they don't admit it but actions speak louder than what they say. In this new reality the west, led by the US, has found a natural ally in india and a natural foe in Pakistan. The indian government has been basking in the lime-light while the west sets the stage for another Iraq style invasion. Only this time, there's one unknown factor.

The fear of communism has been replaced by the fear of Islam in the west. The west has gone back to the age of crusade.

I don't think this is true. There is no fear of Islam at the policy making level in the US. Rather, they use Muslims as tools. For example the Libyan rebel fighters being aided by the West are linked with Al Qaeda. Similarly, Pakistan has also been a willing tool of the west in the past, and I think it will jump at the opportunity to be a willing tool again in the future.

Interesting development! Pakistan should take advantage of this situation. Pakistan can sell its weapons in exchange for oil at a reduced rate.

India expect no Iran oil next month

A leading Indian oil group said Friday it did not expect to receive supplies from Iran next month after Tehran warned it would halt shipments unless a $5.0-billion payments dispute was resolved.

India is Iran's second largest client after China and absorbs about 20 percent of its crude exports, but Indian firms have been struggling for more than six months to pay Tehran due to international banking sanctions imposed on the Islamic republic over its nuclear programme.

Central Bank of Iran chief Mahmoud Bahmani has estimated India's overdue crude payments at around $5 billion, according to the official IRNA news agency.

"We have got no intimation of allocation, which suggests there will be no oil coming in from Iran next month," said a source from private refinery Essar Oil, which imports 36 million barrels of oil each year from Iran.

"We had anticipated this (a cut in supplies)," the Essar source said, adding they had tied up for alternative supplies from four other countries in the Middle East.

Indian media reports also said another importer Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (HPCL) was also anticipating a stoppage.

"We will draw more from other suppliers with whom we have term deals.

The year has just begun," an unnamed HPCL official was quoted as saying in The Economic Times, adding that his firm had made arrangements to replace Iranian oil.

Officials from the Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Limited (MRPL), Indian Oil and BPCL who regularly import oil from Iran, were unavailable for comment.

Earlier this week, India's oil ministry officials said New Delhi was seeking a way to make payments.

The annual trade between India and Iran stands at an estimated $12 billion, with India purchasing some 400,000 barrels of Iranian crude per day.

Indian refineries expect no Iran oil next month - LANKA BUSINESS ONLINE

Iran says won't cut India oil over payment dispute
Tags:Tehran|National Iranian Oil Co.
TEHRAN: Iran will not cut oil supplies to India despite warning refiners it could do so if months of unpaid bills are not settled soon, the Iranian Oil Ministry's news website SHANA said on Sunday.

Your News is old (last Sundy)

Iran halts oil supply to India (Today)

Your news is old (last sunday)

Interesting development! Pakistan should take advantage of this situation. Pakistan can sell its weapons in exchange for oil at a reduced rate.

When Indian politicians could not muster enough courage to defy the US and deal with Iran, what makes you think the spineless Pakistani politicians will be able to do so?

I don't think this is true. There is no fear of Islam at the policy making level in the US. Rather, they use Muslims as tools. For example the Libyan rebel fighters being aided by the West are linked with Al Qaeda. Similarly, Pakistan has also been a willing tool of the west in the past, and I think it will jump at the opportunity to be a willing tool again in the future.

I've personally witnessed the fear of Islam in the US. It all started after the USSR collapsed.

If they cant pay, then we should sell the oil to china.
we can gain lots more with a good relatioship with china. atleast they are not sitting on the usa lap.
i dont get it..wtf is india doing this for the usa!

I've personally witnessed the fear of Islam in the US. It all started after the USSR collapsed.

What I said was that there is no fear of Islam at the policy making level. I am talking about people like Kissinger and Brzezinski.

We are trying to wean the west away from supporting Islamic extremism in South Asia. "Defying" the west will not serve the purpose. However this does not mean that we are in the western camp as such.

We are trying to wean the west away from supporting Islamic extremism in South Asia. "Defying" the west will not serve the purpose. However this does not mean that we are in the western camp as such.

That explains it well. but its such a shame that india would do that.
anyway i am sure this will make the americans very happy.

When the hell has the West supported "Islamic extremism" in South Asia? This is news to me.

If they cant pay, then we should sell the oil to china.
we can gain lots more with a good relatioship with china. atleast they are not sitting on the usa lap.

Do not make faulty generalization mate. India is not sitting in USA's lap or more secure than how China is sitting. Read your own history of Iran-USA relationship and just fresh comments by Iranian FM.

Lets some more detail came out. Crap...this is where we lack analyst like Nazam Sethi of Pakistan. Congress-I has made India a regime like the one ran by dictators.

Do not make faulty generalization mate. India is not sitting in USA's lap or more secure than how China is sitting. Read your own history of Iran-USA relationship and just fresh comments by Iranian FM.

Lets some more detail came out. Crap...this is where we lack analyst like Nazam Sethi of Pakistan. Congress-I has made India a regime like the one ran by dictators.

First of all mate, iran shah was gone 30 years ago, while india is sitting on usa lap right now.
and wtf are you talking about..i dont see china not paying iran because the of the usa lol. so what your saying is that both china and india are equally usa's puppy? sighs..
and the comment of FM is nothing..iran will not resum ties with the west any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom