What's new

Iran gets admission into Uncrewed Underwater Vehicle elite club

Google search underwater wireless optical communication (UWOC)

The drawback is that its range is limited to less than 1 km. We are talking for a communication line of 3000 km.

I don't think so. I can think of 3 main problems with uav idea:
1. we don't have satellite communications like Russians and Nato and china. without satellite, we need to contact groud stations and that reduces the range by a lot.
2. we can not build a drone with long enough endurance to stay up for days or weeks (and remain undetected... I think no one can do it, unless they are living in DC or Marvell or starwars universes.)
3. the whole point of UUV is being as stealthy as possible. I don't think detecting a drone is that hard for those who want to find and detect a drone that is constantly contacting somewhere.
I was thinking of the drone guidance as a temporary solution just for operations in the gulf until satellite guidance is achieved by iran. And I am sure iran can achieve that soon.
But it might be a problem when we consider stealth.

If direct guidance and data transmission is a problem over long distances, cant iran develop some sort of a drone that can fly above the area the UUV operates and act as a guidance bridge between the land based guidance station and the UUV?
Also what about satellite guidance in the future instead of drones? Also surface vessels should be able to act as a bridge or even guide the UUVs by themselves.

How do you want the UAV and UUV to communicate? A mix of radar and sonar is an option which necessitates a relay system on the water surface. So it is possible.

Last edited:
How do you want the UAV and UUV to communicate
now just for lols, i seem to remember reading sth funny about tu-95s and US submarines. US subs could actually detect TU-95s flying above them... I say we buy some and use them for sonar communication...:shout::cheesy:

Although it is still early days, quantum communication is one way such communication will be done in the future.
I am not a physicist, but I used to thing quantum stuff are all random, meaning we can not distinguish noise and actuall message. also, as far as i know we need VEEEEERY cold instruments. (just lookup quantum computers).

though I totally support all bleeding edge tech developments, so long as we are gaining them by hacking Yankee servers.:dance3:

A conventional version of such a thing can be created. They have their uses, but I do not have them near the top of my list in terms of the "game-changing" element.
Personally I dont think much of the idea of an autonomous nuclear powered nuclear armed weapon......way waaay too much to potentially go wrong,with potentially horrific results.
I think weapons like poesidon should`ve stayed where they belong......back in the cold war era or better yet on someones drawing board.

Personally I dont think much of the idea of an autonomous nuclear powered nuclear armed weapon......way waaay too much to potentially go wrong,with potentially horrific results.
I think weapons like poesidon should`ve stayed where they belong......back in the cold war era or better yet on someones drawing board.

Yes, their new ICBM technology is a far more strategic system. This Poseidon is more of a psychological weapon.

The drawback is that its range is limited to less than 1 km. We are talking for a communication line of 3000 km.

Sure UWOC needs a multi-hop network with surface satellite relay or subsurface wired relay.
Its all been done and in use since 2010.

seems like Russians don't care about horrific results. they have a nuclear cruise missile with theoretically unlimited range.

seems like Russians don't care about horrific results. they have a nuclear cruise missile with theoretically unlimited range.
They could try to make it. But a conventional long range cruise missile is more doable and cheaper. There were intercontinental cruise missiles back before ICBMs were invented.

1. How does UUV communication work? How can a UUV be controlled from Iran to work in the gulf of Eden?

Radar is of limited use. Poor penetration.
What we have is:
1. Underwater inertial navigation
2. Sonar for both communication and object detection, You can find Iranian underwater electronic and communication tools in SaIran website.
3. Having navigation and communication relays embedded on the seabed as well as water surface. Of course it should be coded and secretive. This is the best and works like both accurate GPS and a communication line.

2. How can a UUV work for several months underwater?
- Embedded underwater and seabed recharging stations.
- Recharging stations on the sea surface, ships
I don’t know how can someone be unhappy with achievements of Iranian UAVs? There are Syrian combat field, and Abqaiq as examples for both short range and long range missions.

I hope Iranian UUV have the same fate of Iranian UAV, which is glory and pride.

ارباب تنگه ها
:)

Now you know why Russia and US subs spend so much time laying deep sea data cables. It’s the future of warfare underwater and in general.

2. we can not build a drone with long enough endurance to stay up for days or weeks (and remain undetected... I think no one can do it, unless they are living in DC or Marvell or starwars universes.)

Dude what are you talking about. The Russian drone sub has unlimited range. If you are nuclear powered you have basically unlimited range and since there is no crew there is no need for oxygen supplying systems/replenishment or removing CO2. It can sit below water a while.

The Russian drone sub has unlimited range.
I meant a UAV as a relay. we can not keep the thing in the air for long time. it can only be used when we want to strike. otherwise anyone can detect it.
now the UUV will be a whole other story.

I am not a physicist, but I used to thing quantum stuff are all random, meaning we can not distinguish noise and actuall message. also, as far as i know we need VEEEEERY cold instruments. (just lookup quantum computers).

though I totally support all bleeding edge tech developments, so long as we are gaining them by hacking Yankee servers.:dance3:
Salehi was talking about quantum entanglement. There will be no communication in the traditional sense and it will be instantaneous. Here's a good video about it:

Actually he was explaining things very well before they interrupted him.

Back
Top Bottom