What's new

Iran gas pipeline: Saudi offer

The problem we have is that we are not choosing Iran. America is forcing us to choose Iran. Reason being that Sauds are allied for America for their own interests. America's vision for Pakistan is at best a subservient role to India in our neighbourhood which we will never except.

Therein lies the problem

I agree, as Muslims and Pakistanis, we want good brotherly relations with both Saudi Arabia and Iran. If we are siding with Iran due to the current situation in our part of the Mid East, that in no way implies that we are turning away from Saudis as our brothers. We still sent our ex-troops into Bahrain's army on behalf of the Arab ruling family (we should have remained neutral though, Saudi forces would have been enough to handle the job) despite the IP Pipeline project..

I just find it ignorant how people here are saying Iranian terrorist groups will flourish in Pakistan just from a pipeline project being completed? Like seriously, are terrorists going to be channeled through the pipeline or gas?

The problem we have is that we are not choosing Iran. America is forcing us to choose Iran. Reason being that Sauds are allied for America for their own interests. America's vision for Pakistan is at best a subservient role to India in our neighbourhood which we will never except.

Therein lies the problem

Forget about geopolitics for a moment and just think about the choice as purely business ....$2 per mmBTU domestic shale (with US tech and Saudi money) vs $12 per mmBTU Iranian gas. Which one is better? I'd say cheap and abundant domestic shale gas on an accelerated schedule.

Haq's Musings: Pakistan's Energy Security Via Shale Gas Revolution

Forget about geopolitics for a moment and just think about the choice.

don't be silly how can we. Its like us selling our nuke capability or agreeing to give up on Kashmir. It known as bribery. Listen we will deal with both why should we take sides??

I agree, as Muslims and Pakistanis, we want good brotherly relations with both Saudi Arabia and Iran. If we are siding with Iran due to the current situation in our part of the Mid East, that in no way implies that we are turning away from Saudis as our brothers. We still sent our ex-troops into Bahrain's army on behalf of the Arab ruling family (we should have remained neutral though, Saudi forces would have been enough to handle the job) despite the IP Pipeline project..

I just find it ignorant how people here are saying Iranian terrorist groups will flourish in Pakistan just from a pipeline project being completed? Like seriously, are terrorists going to be channeled through the pipeline or gas?

Pipeline or no pipeline, Pakistanis have to watch out for Arab and Iranian proxies waging sectarian wars in Pakistan.

Pipeline or no pipeline, Pakistanis have to watch out for Arab and Iranian proxies waging sectarian wars in Pakistan.

Are you blind?? Neither Arabs or Iranians are our enemies provided we stay neutral. America is the one that is stirring the pot. Iranians-oil pipeline-welcome, Saudis deal welcome-

Take sides -no sorry not in our national interest to side with any proposal from a group that wants Pakistan to be subservient to India-simple really

don't be silly how can we. Its like us selling our nuke capability or agreeing to give up on Kashmir. It known as bribery. Listen we will deal with both why should we take sides??

This kind of fear mongering about Kashmir and Pak nukes does no good for solving Pakistan's huge energy problems that hurt Pak national security and economy more than anything else.

To me , choosing $2 per mmBTU domestic shale over $12 per mmBTU Iranian gas is a no-brainer.

@RiazHaq @Aryan_B

You both make valid points. We don't want to end up like Afghanistan, Syria, Libya, or Somalia, where different factions are supported by different powers with different interests, so like Riaz said we do have to watch out for ourselves, however you are also right in saying that we should consider both deals.

Are you blind?? Neither Arabs or Iranians are our enemies provided we stay neutral. America is the one that is stirring the pot. Iranians-oil pipeline-welcome, Saudis deal welcome-

Take sides -no sorry not in our national interest to side with any proposal from a group that wants Pakistan to be subservient to India-simple really

Let's not throw insults.

The fact is that Pakistan has a history of sectarian warfare waged by Arab and Iranian proxies.

I think you miss the point and dont see the real bone in the kebab. Pakistan dont and wont have issues with either Iran and the Saudis - Its 3rd party interference namely USA that is provocation kings.

I think you miss the point and dont see the real bone in the kebab. Pakistan dont and wont have issues with either Iran and the Saudis - Its 3rd party interference namely USA that is provocation kings.

Unfortunately, the Arab-Persian rivalry predates America. The US is simply exploiting it.

And I agree Pakistanis should not take sides. However, Pakistanis should also try and get the best deal possible for their national interest.

I believe Pakistan's national interest is better served by developing cheap domestic domestic shale gas (with Saudi money and US technology, if necessary) rather than importing expensive Iranian gas.

@RiazHaq @Aryan_B

You both make valid points. We don't want to end up like Afghanistan, Syria, Libya, or Somalia, where different factions are supported by different powers with different interests, so like Riaz said we do have to watch out for ourselves, however you are also right in saying that we should consider both deals.

DFox sectarianism must be eliminated I take that as a given. No country not Iran and not Saud should dictate our affairs or be allowed to propagate their respective ideologies as you know full well the Saudi offer comes laced with strings. If it doesn't fine deal with all why should I or anyone object. this sectarian crap is just a red herring thrown in by Riaz because his main substantive suggestion lies in tatters and flawed

Ḥashshāshīn;2822877 said:
King Faisal was the only good Saudi King.. and he was assassinated by his own nephew. Now, Saudi is just a ***** of Israel and US. I thank Saudi for the relief work they have in Pakistan but they are also sponsoring the taliban and sending agents to kill Shia's in Gilgit.
OMG, how did you know?:woot:
We were trying to keep it a secret.

I believe Pakistan's national interest is better served by developing cheap domestic domestic shale gas (with Saudi money and US technology, if necessary) rather than importing expensive Iranian gas.

If American tech comes it will come certainly with strings whether that be containing China or isolating Iran so please no thank you to America we have had drones kill innocent Pakistanis and American troops kill our soldiers and then their President cant even be bothered to apologise. Can you not see the hatred Americans have in their propaganda against us???

We are not baighairat even Indians laugh at the way Americans humiliate us and some amongst us still think "amreeka will do this and that for Pakistan" they would wipe us off this earth tomorrow if they got the chance

Therein lies the problem
Yes, for now.
But after Iranians topple their current fanatic government(probably within a few years), the new secular pro American government would (together with India) be very helpful to the US in their effort to contain China through Pakistan.
Long term vision is needed.

Yes, for now.
But after Iranians topple their current fanatic government(probably within a few years), the new secular pro American government would (together with India) be very helpful to the US in their effort to contain China through Pakistan.
Long term vision is needed.

Iranians seem more united than Arabs- look at Egypt Libya Syria maybe Arab spring will reach Saudi-Allah knows the future

Back
Top Bottom