What's new

Iran Building Copy Of Captured US Drone

No but I have seen the kind of weapons that Iran has fielded.

And the kind of weapons that Iran had before the revolution such as the F-14 Tomcat and still Iran hasn't been able to duplicate it. Is it any wonder why this 1970's era plane is still flying in the Iranian Air Force.

So I am highly doubtful of their claims that they can reverse engineer this Drone with such sophisticated technology and microchips and sensors. The best they could have done is somehow figure out to the read the data collected in its Hard drive.

Yes it is a wonder that 70s era plane is flying with Iranian air force. Iran has been successfully able to replicate their spare parts and is using them now. Otherwise they would've been useless long ago just like what Ive heard happed to pakistan F16s when it was sanctioned.

Reverse engineering F 14 is no child's play. You have to understand Iranian defense doctrine. Their defense is based on advanced missile tech rather than aircraft. This is because they recognise they cannot match their enemies in air force, instead, they concentrate on their missile deterrent. Yes, Iran could reverse engineer the F 14 if it invested enough behind it but instead it chose this path.

Tell me: If Iran claimed they shot down super-stealth US drone (without showing video), would you have believed it? If no, Iran cannot show video for everything that it does, which ofc you'll understand.

Yes it is a wonder that 70s era plane is flying with Iranian air force. Iran has been successfully able to replicate their spare parts and is using them now. Otherwise they would've been useless long ago just like what Ive heard happed to pakistan F16s when it was sanctioned.

Reverse engineering F 14 is no child's play. You have to understand Iranian defense doctrine. Their defense is based on advanced missile tech rather than aircraft. This is because they recognise they cannot match their enemies in air force, instead, they concentrate on their missile deterrent. Yes, Iran could reverse engineer the F 14 if it invested enough behind it but instead it chose this path.

Tell me: If Iran claimed they shot down super-stealth US drone (without showing video), would you have believed it? If no, Iran cannot show video for everything that it does, which ofc you'll understand.

Yea they replicated the spare parts because they were given the blue prints for those planes when the Shah signed the deal for those jets.

As for missiles, Iran's missiles look good in propaganda videos with patriotic banners and nationalist songs playing in the background but what exactly are their specs and capabilities, that has not been released. Its always this mysterious "special capabilities" or "unique capabilities". That may sell well for a poor Iranian Farmer living in the countryside but not for me. I am not impressed.

And Iran doesn't even have the strongest missile forces in the region, Pakistan has superior missile forces than Iran.

Yea they replicated the spare parts because they were given the blue prints for those planes when the Shah signed the deal for those jets.

As for missiles, Iran's missiles look good in propaganda videos with patriotic banners and nationalist songs playing in the background but what exactly are their specs and capabilities, that has not been released. Its always this mysterious "special capabilities" or "unique capabilities". That may sell well for a poor Iranian Farmer living in the countryside but not for me. I am not impressed.

And Iran doesn't even have the strongest missile forces in the region, Pakistan has superior missile forces than Iran.

well, why couldn't pakistan replicate like that when it was sanctioned? Admit it, Iranians got brains and capability to replicate complex F 14 spare parts.

So, you would be happy if Iran published a colourful specification which said Sejil missile had 10000 km range?

Come on, you are clearly biased against iran. Military matters are best kept secret and that is what iran is doing.

Iran put its own satellite in orbit on its own. Pakistan had to take Chinese help. Putting satellite into orbit is very much related with your missile capability.

I wouldn't under-estimate Iran just like that.

well, why couldn't pakistan replicate like that when it was sanctioned? Admit it, Iranians got brains and capability to replicate complex F 14 spare parts.

So, you would be happy if Iran published a colourful specification which said Sejil missile had 10000 km range?

Come on, you are clearly biased against iran. Military matters are best kept secret and that is what iran is doing.

Iran put its own satellite in orbit on its own. Pakistan had to take Chinese help. Putting satellite into orbit is very much related with your missile capability.

I wouldn't under-estimate Iran just like that.

Pakistan couldn't replicate those planes Pakistan was never such a strategic ally of USA as Iran was from 1953 to 1979 as Iran was given much more open access to USA technology than Pakistan.

As for Iran's missiles. They make a lot of claims but nothing tangible has been found. So I am a skeptic. And besides a lot of their missile technology comes from North Korea which itself copied designs from China who in turn copied designs from Russia. So at each level, the technology degrades. Its like that game where you whisper a word is someone's ear and you keep passing it the other person. Eventually the word is completely different.

And good for Iran for using its missiles for peaceful purposes for putting Satellites up in orbit, glad to see missiles being used for peaceful purposes.

But yea, I am highly doubtful of Iran and its military capabilities. Iran has been elevated to this level primarily by Israel who is goading the USA into another war in the region.

Any imbecile that says Iran's missiles are not dangerous deserves to be locked up in a nut house.

In a little more than a decade Iran has produced a capable missile arsenal that is improving every single year. More than a decade ago Iran was dependent on North Korea for missile tech. Today, Iran is sending sats to space (has done so 3 times) while NK is still not able to do so. Here's an Israeli expert talking about Iranian missiles. This is from 3-4 years ago so it's missing all the new achievements as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because GPS is only a downlink which is open to all who are listening to it. But the drone itself can not transmit anything so there is no remote control or video link from a stealth drone to control it. It is all pre-programmed in drone computer and the drone runs the mission all by itself. That allowed Iran to hack since the drone was completely alone and Americans had no connection with it. Iranians corrupted the GPS signal and made the drone to believe that it was landing back in its base in Afghanistan while in reality it was landing in an Iranian air strip.

I am not going to pretend to know if or how Iran hacked into the drone, but what you just posted here is false. There is always an operator who is on hand overseeing the drone to take over should things change, able to abort mission or otherwise control the drone. I wouldn't be surprised if the drone had an autopilot function for long flights, but the missile release and such is surely done under human control, there is no way to be absolutely sure of the target without human confirmation, it wouldn't be trusted without it.

You give America too much credit by implying that we have technology that makes totally automated drones effective on the battlefield. Not even we have such technology, though we are doing our damnedest to obtain it. The best we can do right now (to the open public in anycase) is AI with human supervision, and that is the best in the world.

I am not going to pretend to know if or how Iran hacked into the drone,...
Not...Likely...But only in his dreams.

...but what you just posted here is false. There is always an operator who is on hand overseeing the drone to take over should things change, able to abort mission or otherwise control the drone. I wouldn't be surprised if the drone had an autopilot function for long flights, but the missile release and such is surely done under human control, there is no way to be absolutely sure of the target without human confirmation, it wouldn't be trusted without it.
There is. Autonomy does not mean complete lack of oversight and even control. When a drone is in 'orbit' for observation and data collection, it is on auto-pilot. The design and shape of the wings -- long like a gull's for long duration soaring -- is indicative of that feature. A drone is also supposed to be able to have its mission redirected at any time and that mean human override.

He does not know what he is talking about.

You give America too much credit by implying that we have technology that makes totally automated drones effective on the battlefield. Not even we have such technology, though we are doing our damnedest to obtain it. The best we can do right now is AI with human supervision, and that is the best in the world.
True.

I do not think that Iran can make 100% exact copy of this drone. This is not so easy as it sounds. But Iran can use information gained from this drone to improve its existing drones or develop a new drone.

Here is decent article: Iran Has America's Super Spy Drone. So What? - By Micah Zenko | Foreign Policy

Both Iran and US have history of using drones against each other for spying purposes.

well you know ,the problem is we never received blueprint for f-14
there is rumors that we received blueprints for a joint project between Iran and Northrop which is called YF-17 Cobra that later evolved into f-18 . let point that the blueprint were not for f-18 but for some prototype that after years of development later become the first model of F-18. and its just a rumor around the net that nobody denied or affirmed .

Iran Says It Is Building Copy Of Captured US Drone
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — A senior Iranian commander says the country has reverse-engineered an American spy drone captured by Tehran's armed forces last year and has begun building a copy.
Gen. Amir Ali Hajizadeh, who is chief of the aerospace division of the powerful Revolutionary Guards, was quoted Sunday by the semi-official Mehr news agency as saying that experts are also recovering data from the U.S. RQ-170 Sentinel captured in December in eastern Iran.
U.S. officials have acknowledged losing the drone. They have said Iran will find it hard to exploit any data and technology aboard it because of measures taken to limit the intelligence value of drones operating over hostile territory.

I guess Iran wants USA to taste her own medicine (US Drone).

Not...Likely...But only in his dreams.

There is. Autonomy does not mean complete lack of oversight and even control. When a drone is in 'orbit' for observation and data collection, it is on auto-pilot. The design and shape of the wings -- long like a gull's for long duration soaring -- is indicative of that feature. A drone is also supposed to be able to have its mission redirected at any time and that mean human override.

He does not know what he is talking about.

True.

soo stupid !

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom