What's new

Invitation to attend 'Support Musharraf day'

Not sure if this has been posted before

Poverty reduced to half in Musharraf’s regime: WB report
Saturday, August 07, 2010
By Mehtab Haider

ISLAMABAD: A World Bank survey has revealed that poverty in Pakistan was reduced by 50 percent on consumption-led growth of the economy under the rule of the former president, Pervez Musharraf.

“The percentage of the people living below the poverty line in Pakistan fell from 34.5 percent in 2001/02 to 17.2 percent in 2007/08,” World Bank said in its Country Partnership Strategy (CPS) paper, based on a survey conducted in fiscal year 2007/08. The bank is going to provide $6 billion to Pakistan on the basis of CPS findings.

According to Planning Commission officials, the PPP-led government asked the commission to conceal the results of the survey because the poverty started rising after the Musharraf’s regime.

According to the WB survey, poverty in urban areas fell from 22.7 percent in 2001/02 to 10.1 percent in 2007/08. In rural areas, it declined from 39.3 percent in 2001 to 20.6 percent in 2007/08, it said.

“This progress was a result of growth in real per adult consumption expenditure and declining inequality from 2005/06 to 2007/08,” the report said.

Key human development indicators of educational attainment, health outcomes and unemployment rates also corroborated these figures, the officials said.

The report showed that the pace of poverty reduction varied across provinces. Poverty in Punjab and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa steadily declined from 1998/99 onwards. “In Sindh and Balochistan, it recorded sharp rises in 2001/02 and 2005/06, possibly owing to weak agriculture performance in those years,” the report said.

The reduction in poverty in KP is particularly noteworthy as officials believe that it was facilitated by higher remittances through both foreign and domestic channels. “The large volatility in poverty suggests that a substantial portion of Pakistan’s population is vulnerable, living close to the poverty line, and could fall into poverty as a result of shocks,” the report said.

The overlap between vulnerable and poor households is low as about 60 percent of the highly vulnerable population does not belong to the poorest 20 percent. This means that a significant share of the non-poor population is as vulnerable as poor households, it said.

The WB report conceded that the gains in poverty reduction may have been partly reversed in the wake of the recent economic crisis.

“Food and fuel prices rose by 23.7 and 18.4 percent, respectively in the review period, resulting in a 21 percent reduction in the purchasing power,” it said.

The 2007/08 household survey results also suggest that poverty started rising towards the end of the fiscal year.

Officials said that the impact of the recent economic downturn on poverty levels in the country will only be known when the next household survey is conducted.

The Task Force on Food Security estimated that poverty headcount increased to 33.8 percent in 2007/08 and 36.1 percent in 2008/09. This means that about 62 million people were below the poverty line in 2008/09.

Data suggests that between 2005 and 2009, over 12 to 14 million people may have been added to the ranks of the poor in Pakistan. This would translate into an increase in poverty from 22.3 percent of the population in 2005/06 to between 30-35 percent in 2008/09,” the report added.
http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=255182

For those living in UK, USA or any other western state this might not be a big a thing but for a common man who hardly make ends meet this is a matter of utmost importance. So should we appreciate Musharaff for this........... You bet!!! we should

During Mush's era, the rampant consumerism was bound to collapse showing the falseness of these statistics. Even Bush's era showed great growth due to consumerism / subprime mortgage growth; It too collapsed. We need real growth and development which Musharraf and Shaukat Aziz couldn't provide. If you believe the way statistics are reported in Pakistan or any developing country, I can only feel sympathy for you. There is a good reason why most Pakistanis don't want Musharraf back! Let's move on and build the nation from the ground up with stable institutions- not waiting for a dictator. Please!!!!

If you believe the way statistics are reported in Pakistan or any developing country,

IMF, World Bank and all other international institutions accepted our figures and traded with us. Our ratings were improved on those figures as well. Countries and institutions accepted our exchange rate of 59 plus.

You shuould sympathise with yourself. There should be a limit to nonsense.

I wanted to take this opportunity and thank all of those members who attended the Support Musharraf Day in Toronto.

Media coverage in Toronto:

Check front page and page 5 at the link below:

.::Weekly Leader::.

Rawal tv to have coverage of our event on Aug 14 on Jadu TV.

More to follow.

Last edited:
I spoke to relatives in Toronto who told me Musharraf Day was a flop. Despite the large numbers of Pakistanis in Toronto, there was poor turn out.

ahh poor turn out my foot!

Your relatives are liers because I was there myself and I have seen people standing because tables were filled!!!

Probably they want their sialkoti niece to be happy therefore they lied to you. :lol:

Next step Support Musharraf day in Montreal and Ottawa!!!

:tup::pakistan:

I spoke to relatives in Toronto who told me Musharraf Day was a flop. Despite the large numbers of Pakistanis in Toronto, there was poor turn out. And for good reason. .... He has hardly any support and I doubt any educated overseas Pakistanis even support him. We all know why Western nations are developed: they follow laws, the constituion and institutions. .... He was a dictator who illegaly usurped power and plunged the nation into turmoil. Let's resepct the vision of Pakistan given to use by the constiutional lawyer the Quaid. We all want a modern democratic state based on his vision- not dictatorship. In 2010, it's so hard to stomach why anyone would want him back after all the damage he did to the state. Musharraf is a relic from the past. Let him stay in the UK and out of Pakistani governance. I don't think the nation can survive another 9 years of his type of governance.
& i'd add he is the reason we have present criminal govt. imposed on us...
Your relatives are liers because I was there myself and I have seen people standing because tables were filled!!!

Where the heck is Mushy himself...???????????
Wasn't he supposed to be there???
& heck-yeah,,, "Kharay hoonay kee jaga nahee thee"... I can see empty chairs... only photograpgers, borred ppl & management is standing & they always do... :-)
-
-

Guys remember Mushy's chailay offered free meal.. while Imran Khan charged $25 per head for meal served... still u can see the difference of support...

Last edited:
IMF, World Bank and all other international institutions accepted our figures and traded with us. Our ratings were improved on those figures as well. Countries and institutions accepted our exchange rate of 59 plus.

You shuould sympathise with yourself. There should be a limit to nonsense.

You may choose to blindly worship phoney statistics or you may choose to see the reality. Rampant consumerism without building the economy of the nation was bound to collapse in Musharraf's era- and sure enough it did. You keep on showing phoney statistics and join the discredited cronies of Bush who likewise show phoney statistics to justify Bush's blunders.

Tell me one thing: Do you blame Obama for the current economic recession and mortgage collapse in the US or do you blame the previous misguided policies of Bush ( 8 years of George Bush Junior). All the folks in US spoke of growth and consumerism and spending in Bush's time but it was all phoney and it collapsed. Borrowing sub prime mortgage with nothing behind it creating hype and it all collapsed. Now you sit with phoney statistics about 9 years of Musharraf dictatorship and talk about so called growth. Let me tell you, such so called great growth doesn't evaporate into thin air- most independent economists, incuding the Economist magazine are very critical of Musharraf's dictatorship and Shaukat Aziz's dubious policies. He earned the nick name SHORTCUT AZIZ for a good reason.
Try to love Pakistan, be true to its vision as a modern democratic state based on the constitution and work for its institutions. Don't work to aggrandize the delusions of a dictator who took over illegaly. We all know what 9 years of Musharraf dictatorship did to Pakistan- we are all paying the price now. There is no shortcut to building a modern democratic state that we deserve. We have to follow laws and respect the constitution. Have faith in the vision of the Quaid- not some self serving man who did not resepct his military oath to uphold the constitution. Remind yourself of what recently happened to General Machrystal in US when he overstepped his role or what happened to MacArthur in Korean War. There is a place for everyone but not for dictators in a modern society. Please think before you plunge Pakistan into dispair again with Musharraf type dictatorship!

Probably they want their sialkoti niece to be happy therefore they lied to you. :lol:

You should have gone to the Imran Khan fundraiser which was full- all paying people who believe in the man. Despite the free food and admission at pro dictatorship Musharraf rally, not many people went. Go and check yourself- hardly a 100 hundred people in a city with over 100, 000 Pakistanis. Try to be objective and know that the man has no support.

Musharraf is a spent force - the nowhere MAN.

Forget about him and move on

Musharraf cannot peacefully run a campaign in Pakistan because of dadagiri, corruption and jhalat.
Anyways, best of luck to you guys. Probably one of the best decent political party currently.

u should kept these words for MQM, and PPP....

Where the heck is Mushy himself...???????????
Wasn't he supposed to be there??? Guys remember Mushy's chailay offered free meal.. while Imran Khan charged $25 per head for meal served... still u can see the difference of support...

First of all thanks for posting all the pics, I couldn't have done a better job :lol:

President Musharraf doesn't need to be at a Support Musharraf Day and that was the whole point which you completely missed.

Imagine that without President Musharraf present this event was able to get 250 people so the turn out will be much higher when President is here himself.

We didn't charge people because we realize that ramadan is around and people should save money for zakat and sadaqa and also to take their kids to Wonderland etc.

I was shocked to see that IK's organizers charged $25 in a city where cost of living is so high and besides the organizers are rich people but they saw another opportunity to make money so they did.

Now I know that Imran Khan's circus ticket is $25.00 :lol:

My friend people went there to see a celebrity live not a leader!!

Last edited:
You should have gone to the Imran Khan fundraiser which was full- all paying people who believe in the man. Despite the free food and admission at pro dictatorship Musharraf rally, not many people went. Go and check yourself- hardly a 100 hundred people in a city with over 100, 000 Pakistanis. Try to be objective and know that the man has no support.

I am sure that there were at least a 1000 people, after all IK was there himself after getting visa at the last minute, however, if 1000peopel were not at IK's event then shame on IK and shame on the organizers.

Believe in man - good joke ... people go to see IK and then come out and say he is still fit or kitna acha lag raha tha ... it is just like Shahid Afridi comes to Toronto for a charity event and many will gather ....

We paid per head cost and we counted each individual so keep your figures in your pcoket pal and tell me how many people were at the IK event ...

Probably there were more organizers than the supporters. I think around 20 to 30 people were organizing hahaha

What a waste of money and resources!!

Last edited:
You may choose to blindly worship phoney statistics or you may choose to see the reality. Rampant consumerism without building the economy of the nation was bound to collapse in Musharraf's era- and sure enough it did. You keep on showing phoney statistics and join the discredited cronies of Bush who likewise show phoney statistics to justify Bush's blunders.

Tell me one thing: Do you blame Obama for the current economic recession and mortgage collapse in the US or do you blame the previous misguided policies of Bush ( 8 years of George Bush Junior). All the folks in US spoke of growth and consumerism and spending in Bush's time but it was all phoney and it collapsed. Borrowing sub prime mortgage with nothing behind it creating hype and it all collapsed. Now you sit with phoney statistics about 9 years of Musharraf dictatorship and talk about so called growth. Let me tell you, such so called great growth doesn't evaporate into thin air- most independent economists, incuding the Economist magazine are very critical of Musharraf's dictatorship and Shaukat Aziz's dubious policies. He earned the nick name SHORTCUT AZIZ for a good reason.
Try to love Pakistan, be true to its vision as a modern democratic state based on the constitution and work for its institutions. Don't work to aggrandize the delusions of a dictator who took over illegaly. We all know what 9 years of Musharraf dictatorship did to Pakistan- we are all paying the price now. There is no shortcut to building a modern democratic state that we deserve. We have to follow laws and respect the constitution. Have faith in the vision of the Quaid- not some self serving man who did not resepct his military oath to uphold the constitution. Remind yourself of what recently happened to General Machrystal in US when he overstepped his role or what happened to MacArthur in Korean War. There is a place for everyone but not for dictators in a modern society. Please think before you plunge Pakistan into dispair again with Musharraf type dictatorship!

Look who is talking :lol:

Imran Khan welcomed Pervez Musharraf and supported him with his only seat in the Parliament ...

BB welocmed the 'change' and Qazi recited the good ol qasidas when Army took over ... the only unhappy person was Nawaz Sharif

This whole bloody lot of pathetic and greedy politicians fully supporrted President Musharraf and will support again insha-Allah.

I feel said for you because IK will eventually support President Musharraf. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom