What's new

International media conspiracy to defame Bangladesh as next Taliban country

April 11, 2013
Bangladesh Police Arrest Acting Editor of Pro-Opposition Paper
By GARDINER HARRIS

CHITTAGONG, Bangladesh — The police in Bangladesh arrested the acting editor of a pro-opposition newspaper on Thursday amid strikes by opposition forces that have frozen travel in much of the country and that are crippling its economy.

The editor, Mahmudur Rahman, who works at the Bengali-language newspaper Amar Desh, was arrested in a raid on his office in Dhaka, the capital, and charged with sedition, among other crimes.

Bangladesh has become increasingly paralyzed by demonstrations, counterdemonstrations and strikes that often turn violent and nearly always disrupt already difficult travel conditions. In recent days, strikes have been called by pro-Islamic groups allied with the opposition parties. The groups have issued a list of 13 demands, including the death penalty for those who defame the Prophet Muhammad, a demand directed at bloggers critical of some opposition leaders. Four bloggers were jailed Wednesday on charges of insulting religious beliefs.

The bloggers have in turn demanded death sentences for those now being tried for crimes committed during Bangladesh’s war for independence more than 40 years ago.

On Wednesday, a trade organization for the country’s economically vital garment industry called for an end to the recent strikes, saying they are preventing international buyers from visiting factories during the crucial spring-summer buying season. Meanwhile, more than 1.4 million tons of goods were stuck in ports across the country because they could not be unloaded, according to local news media reports.

Foreign Affairs Minister Dipu Moni gave a briefing for foreign envoys on Wednesday evening signaling that the government might take legal action against opposition forces. But Ms. Moni pleaded for understanding from foreign governments, according to news media reports.

Opposition forces are considering calling more strikes for next week, the reports said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/12/w...st-acting-editor-of-pro-opposition-paper.html

an unbiased article from NY times

cnn is too liberal, try wall street journal or fox news. I follow right wing media more than left wing crap.

If you choose faux news over CNN you should have yourself checked......are you under any medication that affects your thinking??

If you choose faux news over CNN you should have yourself checked......are you under any medication that affects your thinking??

you need a certain mind set to appreciate fox news. at the end of the day all news outlets are agenda driven.

April 11, 2013
Bangladesh Police Arrest Acting Editor of Pro-Opposition Paper
By GARDINER HARRIS

CHITTAGONG, Bangladesh — The police in Bangladesh arrested the acting editor of a pro-opposition newspaper on Thursday amid strikes by opposition forces that have frozen travel in much of the country and that are crippling its economy.

The editor, Mahmudur Rahman, who works at the Bengali-language newspaper Amar Desh, was arrested in a raid on his office in Dhaka, the capital, and charged with sedition, among other crimes.

Bangladesh has become increasingly paralyzed by demonstrations, counterdemonstrations and strikes that often turn violent and nearly always disrupt already difficult travel conditions. In recent days, strikes have been called by pro-Islamic groups allied with the opposition parties. The groups have issued a list of 13 demands, including the death penalty for those who defame the Prophet Muhammad, a demand directed at bloggers critical of some opposition leaders. Four bloggers were jailed Wednesday on charges of insulting religious beliefs.

The bloggers have in turn demanded death sentences for those now being tried for crimes committed during Bangladesh’s war for independence more than 40 years ago.

On Wednesday, a trade organization for the country’s economically vital garment industry called for an end to the recent strikes, saying they are preventing international buyers from visiting factories during the crucial spring-summer buying season. Meanwhile, more than 1.4 million tons of goods were stuck in ports across the country because they could not be unloaded, according to local news media reports.

Foreign Affairs Minister Dipu Moni gave a briefing for foreign envoys on Wednesday evening signaling that the government might take legal action against opposition forces. But Ms. Moni pleaded for understanding from foreign governments, according to news media reports.

Opposition forces are considering calling more strikes for next week, the reports said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/12/w...st-acting-editor-of-pro-opposition-paper.html

an unbiased article from NY times

I would call this report unbiased. Note it is not written by a Bangladeshi or Indian. No where does the article mention "Islamist" or "Hardliner Muslims", but describes them as pro-Islamic. That is an accurate description for Hefazat e Islam.

About RMG business being affected, that is worrying news. HeI and BNP led alliance need to consider vital national interest and minimizing the effect of the unrest on national economy and business. Perhaps the schedule of the shutdowns can be changed after discussing with exporters associations, so it does not affect buyers visits to factories.

you need a certain mind set to appreciate fox news. at the end of the day all news outlets are agenda driven.

True....I don't know what they show in Canada but here they just can't get the facts right.No kind of mindset can get to you to like faux 'news' unless you are a tebagger.I don't like CNN either.STEWART/COLBERT 2016!!

True....I don't know what they show in Canada but here they just can't get the facts right.No kind of mindset can get to you to like faux 'news' unless you are a tebagger.I don't like CNN either.STEWART/COLBERT 2016!!

stewart and colbert persue a liberal agenda

stewart and colbert persue a liberal agenda

Truth has a liberal bias-Colbert.
Liberalism is the future.Fiscal conservatism will lead to corporatism.Social conservatism will lead to segregation and wars.Downfall of conservatives is inevitable.

Truth has a liberal bias-Colbert.
Liberalism is the future.Fiscal conservatism will lead to corporatism.Social conservatism will lead to segregation and wars.Downfall of conservatives is inevitable.
therefore you are a liberal and i am a conservative ;)

cnn is too liberal, try wall street journal or fox news. I follow right wing media more than left wing crap.

Fox News does not hide its bias you can see what it stands for.

Its the liberal outlets you gotta watch out for, these guys are sneaky, slimy SOBs to say the least. They follow liberalism like a religion.

Fox News does not hide its bias you can see what it stands for.

Its the liberal outlets you gotta watch out for, these guys are sneaky, slimy SOBs to say the least. They follow liberalism like a religion.

thats why i follow rightwing news medias, they aren't slimy. liberals are very articulate and very presemtative, they tried to sell the people of america state funded contraception.....i mean wth why the hell would i pay for people for having sex?

thats why i follow rightwing news medias, they aren't slimy.

Are you one of those guys that dont read Fox news but simply jump on the bandwagon?

Because your post is pretty funny, go look at what Fox news has to say about the current BD situation, I am sure you will change your tune on Fox news pretty damnn quickly, and start calling them slimy :chilli:...

Are you one of those guys that dont read Fox news but simply jump on the bandwagon?

Because your post is pretty funny, go look at what Fox news has to say about the current BD situation, I am sure you will change your tune on Fox news pretty damnn quickly, and start calling them slimy :chilli:...

it has a certain agenda like every other news agency. I do have respect for daily star and prothom alo, they are sticking with their party and following it all the way, despite knowing that they will face the wrath of BNP if they come back to power. You need true loyalists like that in any party.

it has a certain agenda like every other news agency. I do have respect for daily star and prothom alo, they are sticking with their party and following it all the way, despite knowing that they will face the wrath of BNP if they come back to power. You need true loyalists like that in any party.

Hmm not sure where you are taking the topic, I dont know much about BD parties/newspapers. I was simply commenting on your support for so called right wing media outlets in US like FOX news and so on...

Back
Top Bottom