What's new

Inside Story: How Prosecutors Let Qadri Off The Hook

Amend the articles give some relaxation but there must be minimum filtration.

Laws are there, there are volumes of laws that are applicable in Pakistan, but application of those laws is Nil. How would achieve this feat of minimum filtering?

Responsible but drunkard, who had no authority whatsoever to discuss a religious matter. He really should have raised his concerns at right forum with right people, and obviously that would have happened when he was not drunk.

No condemnation for the murder of the ex governor of course. Instead focusing on an irrelevant thing. Therein lies the problem of Pakistanis, the shying off from the real issues and absolute focus on trivialities. Maybe, he was a drunkard. Maybe, he even had no authority to discuss a religious matter which is something I believe is limited to God's viceroy - the mullah in the radicalized Pakistan today. The problem in its simplest form is what gives anyone the right to kill someone in the name of religion? What gives some people the right to proclaim the murder as permissible, for the rest to assume their word as the truth, start treating a murderer as a hero showering petals and asking for his release even though they believe he had committed the murder? The blasphemy law has its 90 percent cases registered falsely and used to prosecute people on personal desires which is exactly what the slain was pointing at. But as it happens, its fine to neutralize anyone on the mere suspicion of blasphemy. The Pakistanis hooked on the opiate will support it unconditionally, since they fear angering the Mullah, angers God and will cause them to go to Hell, thus opening the door for severe manipulation.

Looks like this guy is going to get off the hook
Not a surprising thing really because if you take a poll i am sure most Pakistanis will support the idiot
In this free for all i wonder what the reaction would be if someone deputed on protecting the Army chief takes him out claiming he saw him committing blasphemy !

That seems like a pretty vague argument. What constitutes as 'Terrorism' in Pakistan and who is the 'Terrorist'. This must be clearly defined before a case can be dealt with. Salman Taseer was assassinated, that doesn't make it a terrorism offence, because murder as it is a crime, and regardless of whether it was an act of terror, they must determine the appropriate punishment, which under Pakistan's penal code is death sentence.

Looks like this guy is going to get off the hook
Not a surprising thing really because if you take a poll i am sure most Pakistanis will support the idiot
In this free for all i wonder what the reaction would be if someone deputed on protecting the Army chief takes him out claiming he saw him committing blasphemy !

I'm surprised that the other members of the Taseer's security detail aren't up on serious charges. Qadri had supposedly told them of his intention & asked them to do nothing till he had finished. Makes them co-conspirators.

No condemnation for the murder of the ex governor of course. Instead focusing on an irrelevant thing. Therein lies the problem of Pakistanis, the shying off from the real issues and absolute focus on trivialities. Maybe, he was a drunkard. Maybe, he even had no authority to discuss a religious matter which is something I believe is limited to God's viceroy - the mullah in the radicalized Pakistan today. The problem in its simplest form is what gives anyone the right to kill someone in the name of religion? What gives some people the right to proclaim the murder as permissible, for the rest to assume their word as the truth, start treating a murderer as a hero showering petals and asking for his release even though they believe he had committed the murder? The blasphemy law has its 90 percent cases registered falsely and used to prosecute people on personal desires which is exactly what the slain was pointing at. But as it happens, its fine to neutralize anyone on the mere suspicion of blasphemy. The Pakistanis hooked on the opiate will support it unconditionally, since they fear angering the Mullah, angers God and will cause them to go to Hell, thus opening the door for severe manipulation.

I am no big fan of Mumtaz Qadri and have no sympathy for Taseer's at all so I give a damn if he got murdered or killed, have lots of other important things to worry about, if you have time for this please do it but don't expect it from everyone. And personally I want all these corrupt politicians to be drowned and Pakistan made rid of them.

If my personal experience counts I would say local Hindus in our minorities are the most respectful and don't get involved in anything that may lead to offend or hurt feelings of the Muslims. On the other hand local Christians (Sorry exceptions are not counted) are mainly liars, thieves, dishonest and will cause trouble and they are disrespectful to Islam intentionally. And if I am not wrong almost all of the blasphemy cases involve the latter. (I am working somewhere where I have to daily deal with the latter and 90% terminations are dishonesty based).

And for the law making part, which law in Pakistan does not have loopholes? Volumes and volumes of useless complicated laws without any application. You must be aware of the term "GIGO", so whoever is elected to be lawmaker has serious implication on Laws being drafted and implemented. So by electing Garbage every time and expecting clear fair just laws would be stupid and idiotic.

Now spare me your judgment of my character or Pakistanis for that matter. No Pakistani is knocking on your door to give them free lectures. Ta ta adios.

Responsible but drunkard, who had no authority whatsoever to discuss a religious matter. He really should have raised his concerns at right forum with right people, and obviously that would have happened when he was not drunk.

he still didn't deserve to get murdered for it. The people offended at changing the balsphemy law, should have challenged him by the legal means.

I am no big fan of Mumtaz Qadri and have no sympathy for Taseer's at all so I give a damn if he got murdered or killed, have lots of other important things to worry about, if you have time for this please do it but don't expect it from everyone. And personally I want all these corrupt politicians to be drowned and Pakistan made rid of them.

If my personal experience counts I would say local Hindus in our minorities are the most respectful and don't get involved in anything that may lead to offend or hurt feelings of the Muslims. On the other hand local Christians (Sorry exceptions are not counted) are mainly liars, thieves, dishonest and will cause trouble and they are disrespectful to Islam intentionally. And if I am not wrong almost all of the blasphemy cases involve the latter. (I am working somewhere where I have to daily deal with the latter and 90% terminations are dishonesty based).

And for the law making part, which law in Pakistan does not have loopholes? Volumes and volumes of useless complicated laws without any application. You must be aware of the term "GIGO", so whoever is elected to be lawmaker has serious implication on Laws being drafted and implemented. So by electing Garbage every time and expecting clear fair just laws would be stupid and idiotic.

Now spare me your judgment of my character or Pakistanis for that matter. No Pakistani is knocking on your door to give them free lectures. Ta ta adios.

sorry, in a world where Muslims are stereotyped as terrorists and unable to live in a civilized world by the west, I thought you would have been more wary of stereotyping.

Either way let us not go further. I think on this issue we may never be able to meet our minds :)

@Secur what is your take on this assessment of Christians in Pakistan?

he still didn't deserve to get murdered for it. The people offended at changing the balsphemy law, should have challenged him by the legal means.

Hello Mr. Nair how is life treating you these days? :)

Many people die man on daily basis, I will have more sympathy for a dog killed by a car than a corrupt drunkard politician. :agree:

sorry, in a world where Muslims are stereotyped as terrorists and unable to live in a civilized world by the west, I thought you would have been more wary of stereotyping.

Either way let us not go further. I think on this issue we may never be able to meet our minds :)

A bit of a lost cause:

The judge who convicted Qadri was forced to flee the country after death threats.

Qadri's lawyers included former Lahore High Court chief justice Khawaja Mohammad Sharif and retired Justice Mian Nazeer.

Counsel for Qadri Justice (retd) Mian Nazir Akhar insisted that “anyone can be killed under unusual circumstances.”

I am sorry if I offended you but honestly I have shared my personal daily experience, and to be honest its them not the Christianity, because other people that work there are Expats (most of them Christians) and they are hardworking straight forward honest people. Two extremes of the same faith following.

OK. But then, one can always condemn the thing he was murdered for, a mere allegation of blasphemy. That is how easy it is to kill someone in this country, in the name of religion. A mere Friday sermon or pamphlets can gather enough pious Muslim's manpower to kill/maim/loot/burn the blasphemers (alleged). I do not like politicians myself but then I have a greater hate for religious intolerant who are equally responsible for messing up the country. There are similar episodes and only one underlying theme of massive radicalization in the society.

That isn't the problem actually, Hindus mostly present in Sindh still enjoy far better rights than the Christians scattered through-out the Punjab (mostly again) with no significant proper concentration in any one place. Its not like the minorities have gotten any less respectful of the Prophet, its just that the rest have gotten far more radicalized than they were before. Why would anyone commit blasphemy, that too with a greater frequency knowing that the crowd has gone more violent compared to the past? Can you point me at any logical reason to do so? I was somewhere where I have greater interactions with Christians in Karachi and they didn't appear to me any different than the rest.

Which law is based on religion and showing a far worse record of abuse in the country? Why is it wrong to point out the loopholes and false cases registered through this particular law? If the importance of this religious law is special, then the accountability for it will be higher than usual too.

Let me remind you that you are on a forum and being here will have to deal with different viewpoints. Keep it in mind, the content you post is open for free discussion and there are far better ways to express your disagreements with the message than outright idiocy displays. Neither you or the rest of the Pakistanis need a lecture from me or anyone else. They have the religious seminaries/God's viceroys for their guidance resulting in this condition of the country, reason or facts/logic mean nothing to people hooked on the opiate of the masses. I posted what I thought was relevant for the reply, no need to go berserk on it. The difference is that I wont be holding a gun to your head to make you believe, what I believe.

@Secur we're trying to discover every possibility that incident would've been avoided. One reason is that Taseer was drunk etc. Not justifying the killer, peaceful people get ignited on this particular issue forgetting legal procedure thingy.

@Secur we're trying to discover every possibility that incident would've been avoided. One reason is that Taseer was drunk etc. Not justifying the killer, peaceful people get ignited on this particular issue forgetting legal procedure thingy.

I don't think so, that is what you are trying to do. I have no problem accepting Taseer might have been drunk (even though he made the statement after visiting Asia Bibi in jail during that time and speaking on abuse of the blasphemy law was understandable), there are a lot of politicians who aren't in their senses during most of their life, I have no love/sympathy for political leaders myself. But then again, the religious extremism shows its ugly head every-time, immune from criticism and scrutiny. There's the problem, you don't kill anybody because he don't agree with you or criticizes something. The weakness displays of how it would have avoided is just another matter, requiring attention. You refuse to deal with the real issue, something similar to little children trying to hide from the bullies. What is making the peaceful people support a murderer, holding conventions and rallies or showering petals at Qadri's trial? Why the heck is it so easy to manipulate an otherwise peaceful person in this country? That's the real question.

OK. But then, one can always condemn the thing he was murdered for, a mere allegation of blasphemy. That is how easy it is to kill someone in this country, in the name of religion. A mere Friday sermon or pamphlets can gather enough pious Muslim's manpower to kill/maim/loot/burn the blasphemers (alleged). I do not like politicians myself but then I have a greater hate for religious intolerant who are equally responsible for messing up the country. There are similar episodes and only one underlying theme of massive radicalization in the society.

MQM is a secular political party.................. what happened there, Religion?

As I said already I have no sympathy for Taseer's at all, many common Pakistanis get killed daily nobody cares so why would I care if some special Pakistani who enjoys life's luxuries on my tax money gets killed. And the religious intolerance you are talking about has not even started yet, the day each and every Molvi Sb., starts preaching that way the things would be lot more messier. And I said it already on this forum somewhere that in my childhood it was Molvi Sb. who taught me how to respect minorities and how to behave with them, and I have Hindu friend in Karachi with whom I dined, colleagues currently who are pagans, atheists, and Christians and never got into fight with any of them. May be I was lucky.

That isn't the problem actually, Hindus mostly present in Sindh still enjoy far better rights than the Christians scattered through-out the Punjab (mostly again) with no significant proper concentration in any one place. Its not like the minorities have gotten any less respectful of the Prophet, its just that the rest have gotten far more radicalized than they were before. Why would anyone commit blasphemy, that too with a greater frequency knowing that the crowd has gone more violent compared to the past? Can you point me at any logical reason to do so? I was somewhere where I have greater interactions with Christians in Karachi and they didn't appear to me any different than the rest.

No Hindus in Sindh are facing far more difficulties than Christians of Punjab.
Let me tell you something interesting, Christians living in Karachi are more educated than Christians living in Punjab. And they even have totally different names than the ones in Punjab. e.g. guy from Karachi would be "Philip Angelo" and a guy from Punjab would be "Shafiq Masih" and mentality of both is also totally different. So what you see is a more civilized educated modern, and the ones I am referring to are lesser educated and are fond of trouble making.

Which law is based on religion and showing a far worse record of abuse in the country? Why is it wrong to point out the loopholes and false cases registered through this particular law? If the importance of this religious law is special, then the accountability for it will be higher than usual too.

Hudood Ordinance. It is not wrong to point out loopholes but for me it is totally foolish and inappropriate to get involved in a matter and discussion over which I don't hold the authority and knowledge.

Let me remind you that you are on a forum and being here will have to deal with different viewpoints. Keep it in mind, the content you post is open for free discussion and there are far better ways to express your disagreements with the message than outright idiocy displays. Neither you or the rest of the Pakistanis need a lecture from me or anyone else. They have the religious seminaries/God's viceroys for their guidance resulting in this condition of the country, reason or facts/logic mean nothing to people hooked on the opiate of the masses. I posted what I thought was relevant for the reply, no need to go berserk on it. The difference is that I wont be holding a gun to your head to make you believe, what I believe.

Unless you stop with your generalizations and name calling and blaming of Pakistanis, I cannot have any discussion with you. Either consider it my last interaction with you or change your attitude. The choice is yours.

Back
Top Bottom