What's new

INS VIKRAMDITYA in Indian Service

Oh,it's gonna be one hell of a force under the IN's disposal.In my opinion,after the induction of IAC 1,the INS Viraat should be turned into an LHD.What do you say??

In theory that idea is ok. However the most over-riding issue is that of the material state of her propulsion esp the Boilers and Turbines.

Otherwise she can be turned into a Training Ship in the Southern Naval Command. In that role she will have much less operational deployment with a much bigger number of berths for Middies and Cadets of all branches and continue to provide training to Rotorcraft Pilots as well as hone the large ship-handling skills for Navigators.

Awesome!!!

Now I might sound very dilettante with my doubts but still I want to get it cleared.
1) why were some guys wearing silver colored suit?
2) why did some flights touch down to take off immediately?? What was the purpose?

@Abingdonboy I didnt get any notification for this mention.
FYI: @WebMaster

Let me answer those questions for you:
1. The guys have donned the "Fire Proximity Suits"; they are part of the Ship's Damage Control Team and will undertake Fire-Fighting duties.
2. The Pilots are practicing 'touch and go' approaches, which is important for the Pilot to get them right. In case of Carrier Landings its as much as a glide angle of 4 deg compared to 2-3 deg for a shore landing. BTW, on a Carrier; an aircraft does not 'land' its 'recovered' just as it does not 'take-off' but is 'launched'. :)
The 'touch and go' approach training are critical for the Pilot to 'trap' effectively as well as understand the need for quick responses on throttle and flight surfaces if he fails to 'trap' and then becomes a 'bolter'.

Last edited:
The IN is going to get 4 LHD/LPD by 2020 as it is

But don't you think if we ought to get 4 LHD/LPD by 2020 , the deal has to be signed in this year.?? I don't know if IN is serious with these ships..

But don't you think if we ought to get 4 LHD/LPD by 2020 , the deal has to be signed in this year.?? I don't know if IN is serious with these ships..
It's serious no doubt but it has other priorities right now- more P-8Is, MR-MPAs, P-75I, Arihant class, finalising IAC-2 design, working on a home-built SSN class etc etc

Back
Top Bottom