What's new

INS Arihant : Updates & Discussion

Good news .........

But So many threads running simultaneously on arihant .......

It would have been good if the mods made a sticky thread for Arihant or Indian nuclear subs ........

so how she is moving underwater during sea trials?

BTW sources say that the INS Arihant will now go to sea trials (reported on 7th Aug, 2012)

it means previous news i was referring to was wrong

Yes .......It looks like previously it was undergoing harbor acceptance trials not sea trials .......

INS ARIHANT : The Complete Discussion

INS Arihant Needs no Introduction. Yet I dedicate this Thread which will aim at all miniscule points that can be discussed and users would get complete info of this marvellous Indian Achievement.

Welcome To INS Arihant !

Okey so Whats the Fuss About INS Arihant??

poJTw.jpg

U.S. Los Angeles class submarine is 6,000 tons. Your illustration above is wrong.

I want to correct a false claim in the illustration.

The US Los Angeles class nuclear submarine displaces 6,000 tons (see citations below), not the 16,000 metric tons claimed in the graphic.

Perhaps he meant the 16,000 tonne Ohio-class submarine.

Anyway, the illustrator needs to change the displacement to match the Los Angeles class submarine or he has to change the name to the Ohio class.

----------

Los Angeles Class Nuclear Submarine

"Jan 17, 2009 – The Los Angeles Class nuclear Submarine is a very large size submarine (6,000 tons) mostly due to the doubling of the Nuclear reactor power ..."

USS GREENEVILLE (SSN-772) Deployments & History

"USS BOISE (SSN-764) - a Los Angeles-class submarine. In Commission 1992 to Present ... Displacement: 6000 tons. Length: 362 feet. Beam: 32 feet 10 inches ..."

India’s SSBN Shows Itself

arihant2012.jpg

A new satellite image appears to show part of India’s new SSBN partly concealed at the Visakhapatnam naval base on the Indian east coast (17°42’38.06″N, 83°16’4.90″E).

By Hans M. Kristensen

Could it be? It is not entirely clear, but a new satellite image might be showing part of India’s first nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine, the Arihant.

The image, taken by GeoEye’s satellite on March 18, 2012, and made available on Google Earth, shows what appears to be the conning tower (or sail) of a submarine in a gap of covers intended to conceal it deep inside the Visakhapatnam (Vizag) Naval Base on the Indian east coast.

The image appears to show a gangway leading from the pier with service buildings and a large crane to the submarine hull just behind the conning tower. The outlines of what appear to be two horizontal diving planes extending from either side of the conning tower can also be seen on the grainy image.

The Arihant was launched in 2009 from the shipyard on the other side of the harbor and moved under an initial cover. An image released by the Indian government in 2010 appears to show the submarine inside the initial cover.

ARIHANT-718188.JPG

The Indian government published this image in 2010, apparently showing the Arihant inside the initial concealment building.

The new cover, made up of what appears to be 13-meter floating modules that can be assembled to fit the length of the submarine, similarly to what Russia is using at its submarine shipyard in Severodvinsk, first appeared in 2010. Images from 2011 show the modules in various configurations but without the submarine inside.

The movement of the Arihant from the initial cover building to the module covers next to the service facilities and large crane indicates that the submarine has entered a new phase of fitting out. The initial cover building appeared empty in April 2012 when the Indian Navy show-cased its new Russia-supplied Akula-class nuclear-powered attack submarine: the Chakra.

It is thought that the Arihant is equipped with less than a dozen launch tubes behind the conning tower for short/medium-range nuclear-armed ballistic missiles. Before it can become fully operational, however, the Arihant will have to undergo extensive refitting and sea-trials that may last through 2013. It is expected that India might be building several SSBNs.

Like the other nuclear weapon states, India continues to modernize its nuclear forces, despite pledges to work for a world free of nuclear weapons.

India

Wow I see it's already launched into water for a long time :)

I hope India create a new class of UBS instead of build another rich ant. The first sub should be for study only. Especially with only 4 tubes.

I hope India create a new class of UBS instead of build another rich ant. The first sub should be for study only. Especially with only 4 tubes.

It is good design . Can be converted to a SSGN .

It is good design . Can be converted to a SSGN .

I think first one will join the service no doubt but it always remain as "Research and devlopment platform" than a full time IN weapon
Remaining 3 will join the service as other subs.

The follow on class and remaing three of Arihant class are rumered to have more tubes that the first one

I think first one will join the service no doubt but it always remain as "Research and devlopment platform" than a full time IN weapon
Remaining 3 will join the service as other subs.

The follow on class and remaing three of Arihant class are rumered to have more tubes that the first one

IIRC , more tubes will be added for just 3rd and 4th one . 2nd one Arhidhaman is similar in diamension to Arihant

"Informed sources said India's second nuclear submarine named "Arhidaman ins" will be and its predecessor Arihant submarine's twin. Its features, size and capabilities will be similar to Arihant."

http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian...a-second-nuclear-submarine-ins-arhidaman.html

IIRC , more tubes will be added for just 3rd and 4th one . 2nd one Arhidhaman is similar in diamension to Arihant

"Informed sources said India's second nuclear submarine named "Arhidaman ins" will be and its predecessor Arihant submarine's twin. Its features, size and capabilities will be similar to Arihant."

http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian...a-second-nuclear-submarine-ins-arhidaman.html

It's a IBN news and we both know the quality of Indian defence reports. Still it's the only news in market. But what actually we know is only thing that 2nd and 3rd Arihant class are in production line. Nothing more nothing less. Nobody knows what's its size and capacity is. But I remember reading our Navel chiefs interview where he said follow on subs will come more quickly and will be more powerful.

It's a IBN news and we both know the quality of Indian defence reports. Still it's the only news in market. But what actually we know is only thing that 2nd and 3rd Arihant class are in production line. Nothing more nothing less. Nobody knows what's its size and capacity is. But I remember reading our Navel chiefs interview where he said follow on subs will come more quickly and will be more powerful.

Do these follow on subs come with a more powerful reactor ??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom