What's new

Initiative to buy 16 warplanes for Tk 25,000 crore

Let us not quote the nonsense vision again and again. It has been 22 years since BAF bought anything worthy. You think it is in them to realise demands for 10 fighter squadrons from the govt?
Good luck seeing any more fighters in your lifetime if we get stuck with 16 EFTs.
YOu are right.. there wont be more purachse in the short term. But there will be domestic fighter aircraft in medium term.

Gripens suits more as it's designed for smaller force facing big force, it can be maintained by 6 persons on road run ways also it is very highly networked bird with Global Eye AEWC & Sord Fish MPAs it can be force to recon with, also UAVs a UCAVs can be added in that mix.

Why go for EFT when Gripens can do job with better numbers and maintenance.

BD should not have problem in getting Gripens with Meteor, IRIS-T or ASRAAM missiles.

BD can go for complete package deal with Sweden for Jets, MPAs, AWACS, AShM and possibly stealth ships and submarines.

I agree Gripens are much more suited for Bangladesh , however BAF rejected it since we asked for old Gripens and the Swedes wanted to give us new ones.
Should invest in Su-57. May not be the best stealth aircraft but it is a stealth aircraft nonetheless. With no immediate threat facing Bangledesh and the Russians looking for investment, this could kickstart the aviation industry in Bangladesh

HELL NO , we can't get Russian aircrafts due to American sanctions and Russian jets aren't suited for our climate plus we have Chinese or Turkish options anyways.

Just because Gripen uses an American GE engine does not mean they are off limits. You actually have to go through the motions to try gaining US Congressional green light to know whether there would block the sales in any way. GE is a very influential American defence contractor with Congressmen in their pockets.
Countries like Thailand and South Africa are not exactly close allies of the US yet they operate the Gripens.

Look, EFT is a fantastic platform on its own but it needs to be backed up by numbers. My main concern is numbers.
Going for Hi without sorting Lo is a mistake, here's why:

The way our bureaucracy works: if takes a lot of pen pushing to get big deals through the chain. Once BAF ties up the bureaucracy with repayments for EFTs for years, the PMO, defence, finance and planning ministries will push back hard against any further deals for fighter jets in the next 10 years. The pen pushers will find ways to convince the PM to not approve any further fighter deals as defence spending is never their priority. Unlike BA and BN, BAF does not have the stomach fight it out.

1-2 squadrons of EFT is fantastic as a cherry on top if you already have 3-4 squadrons of Gripens/J-10s in service. It would be a nightmare for any air force to face EFTs conducting strike backed up by dozens of network connected Gripens/J-10s.

Again, I just hope a miracle happens and the EFT deal id quickly followed by orders for single engine fighters in good numbers.

Yea I agree lol

But here's the catch , these EFTs or if we get J-10Cs to replace our F-7s are only at 50% of their potential cause guess what ? They don't have AWACS or EW aircrafts on their side.

So what the BAF should get rn is

1-2 AWACS
1-2 EW aircrafts
1 sqd of EFTs
2 sqd of J-10Cs
15-20 Turkish Drones

And for the Army, HQ-16 Chinese Medium Range SAMs to cover our dam industrial areas and our ports

Just because Gripen uses an American GE engine does not mean they are off limits. You actually have to go through the motions to try gaining US Congressional green light to know whether there would block the sales in any way. GE is a very influential American defence contractor with Congressmen in their pockets.
Countries like Thailand and South Africa are not exactly close allies of the US yet they operate the Gripens.

Look, EFT is a fantastic platform on its own but it needs to be backed up by numbers. My main concern is numbers.
Going for Hi without sorting Lo is a mistake, here's why:

The way our bureaucracy works: if takes a lot of pen pushing to get big deals through the chain. Once BAF ties up the bureaucracy with repayments for EFTs for years, the PMO, defence, finance and planning ministries will push back hard against any further deals for fighter jets in the next 10 years. The pen pushers will find ways to convince the PM to not approve any further fighter deals as defence spending is never their priority. Unlike BA and BN, BAF does not have the stomach fight it out.

1-2 squadrons of EFT is fantastic as a cherry on top if you already have 3-4 squadrons of Gripens/J-10s in service. It would be a nightmare for any air force to face EFTs conducting strike backed up by dozens of network connected Gripens/J-10s.

Again, I just hope a miracle happens and the EFT deal id quickly followed by orders for single engine fighters in good numbers.

I am not talking specifically about sanctions. The US is more than willing to sell to Bangladesh. Having a US equipment allows the US to exert pressure through backchannels and pull strings to their advantage. Especially when it involves the most expensive and strategic weapon in our armory. If we didn't have concerns with US strings, Bangladesh could have easily gone for F-16s at the risk of souring relationships with the Chinese- who are our biggest development and defense partners to date.

Both South Africa and Thailand are strategically aligned with the US, especially Thailand- who the US uses to counter Chinese influence in the region. Burmese have more issues against Thais than they have with us. Besides, both SA and Thailand use Gripen C/Ds which has the Volvo RM 12 engine (copy of GE Engine). The Brazilian E model uses the GE F414. Besides the engine, other vital components such as radar are also sourced from other countries. That could be a cause of a lot of strategic complications in the event of a souring relationship with our neighbors to the east.

I understand your concern about numbers. If we do go for EFTs- it is solely for the purpose of creating a "fear factor" against potential misadventure from our neighbors. The message to enemies is - We know we will be doomed, but we will take a few of you down with us before we go.

We will certainly not be any threat to our biggest neighbor with paltry 16 typhoons, but it is sufficient to pacify the Burmese. This also means that India will feel less threatened with this deal of 16 typhoons, as opposed to a deal for 48 Gripens with ToT. Hence, less likely to meddle in our business more than they already do. Given we are the weaker nation, that is something we also need to be wary of and play it cool.

As already mentioned by mb444, We have close relationship with UK and a large BD diaspora in UK. These factors are of strategic importance in the event of a conflict. A connection we don't have with Sweden.

One other key advantage procuring EFT would be having the range to be able to strike key cities like Yangoon without the need for air refueling.

The single-engine workhorse fighter replacements are indeed due. But at this time, we don't have the infrastructure, technical knowledge base to get ToT executed for a sophisticated platform-like Gripen as the Brazilians did.

I agree, the way it works in Bangladesh, I am guessing after this procurement, we will probably wait a good 8-10 years before going for single-engine platforms. Most likely after the F-7s start dropping from the skies in droves. That's how it works in BD. By then folks at BAC perhaps develop some semblance of the capability to support a ToT of a sophisticated 4.5 gen jet- be it Gripen or J-10 or something else.

Last edited:
How many non-Russian fighters has the Bangladesh Air Force operated other than the F86?
All non-Russian except MiG-21s and MiG-29s. Russian suppliers act in bad faith post-sales. There is no question of getting into long term commitments with them.
If you notice, Bangladeshi military supplies are 90% Chinese and Western.
Even our MiG-29s are being upgraded by Belarussians while BTR-80s and Mi-17s are getting MRO plants set up by Ukrainians.

Last edited:
People who are pessimistic people can read this analysis if you want.

How dare DefRes diss Vedic Tek-Na-Lajee like this. :woot:

The very attitude…. :taz:
How many non-Russian fighters has the Bangladesh Air Force operated other than the F86?

I hope the question is not rhetorical, and in that case the answer is only Chinese F-7's and Fantans (ground attack role) of various types AFAIK. K-8's too if they're now used in the ground attack training role. I believe Chinese Shenyang FT-5's and FT-2's were also operated earlier a few decades ago.

But, except K-8 (original Chinese design) and Fantan (derivative from Mig-19), these are all exact Russian designs made in China.

I don't know if the Nanchang Q-5 Fantans are grounded and decommissioned already. Ugly li'l suckers... :-)

1024px-906_Nanchang_A-5_Landing_%288138183528%29.jpg

Last edited:
I agree Gripens are much more suited for Bangladesh , however BAF rejected it since we asked for old Gripens and the Swedes wanted to give us new ones.

HELL NO , we can't get Russian aircrafts due to American sanctions and Russian jets aren't suited for our climate plus we have Chinese or Turkish options anyways.

New model is the most capable one too so BD should go for it,. It will be cheaper and easier to operate and maintain, also it's built on philosophy of small force facing big enemy force, that is not with other Jets, it will provide numbers with advance tech and similar weapons compared to EFT or Rafale, it is highly integrated with other assets like Global Eye, Sord Fish, Visby ships etc which will be big force multiplier for BD if a comprehensive deal is done with Sweden.

I dont get Bangladeshi members who keep talking about India threat. India is next door and very powerful. It is Myanmar who send 1 million Rohingya to your country and has territorial dispute over some waters and island that should be seen as the biggest potential threat. Unless you have land as massive as Xin Jiang, I dont think India has interest to swallow your nation.

I also dont get you guys keep talking nice about China and want to buy J 10 while they have supported Myanmar regime many times, including during recent UN attempt to make some kind of resolution to Myanmar.
The reason is obvious. Because the J-10 is the most advanced 3th generation fighter in Asia. Any comments?

About Myanmar... Look, it's more in line with Western universal values. Oh, let me tell you a secret. Promise me not to tell anyone ~ Myanmar is a pro american regime.

u=659482610,1574522310&fm=26&gp=0.jpg

qQzAfz2.jpg

LOL

The reason is obvious. Because the J-10 is the most advanced 3th generation fighter in Asia. Any comments?

About Myanmar... Look, it's more in line with Western universal values. Oh, let me tell you a secret. Promise me not to tell anyone ~ Myanmar is a pro american regime.

View attachment 724433
View attachment 724434

LOL

Myanmar pro American ?

Fam you mean a Chinese colony not a pro American :rofl:
New model is the most capable one too so BD should go for it,. It will be cheaper and easier to operate and maintain, also it's built on philosophy of small force facing big enemy force, that is not with other Jets, it will provide numbers with advance tech and similar weapons compared to EFT or Rafale, it is highly integrated with other assets like Global Eye, Sord Fish, Visby ships etc which will be big force multiplier for BD if a comprehensive deal is done with Sweden.

I freaking wish we went the Swedish route but again we don't want only one supplier during wartime , Gripens were a tactical choice against Myanmar and India.

But the EFT is a long term strategic choice , which is meant to put put pressure on Myanmar but also can be used against India since we have Bangladeshi's who can lobby for us back in Britain.

Gripens would be a great game changer but again BAF dumped the option

Last edited:
Myanmar pro American ?

Fam you mean a Chinese colony not a pro American :rofl:

I freaking wish we went the Swedish route but again we don't want only one supplier during wartime , Gripens were a tactical choice against Myanmar and India.

But the EFT is a long term strategic choice , which is meant to put put pressure on Myanmar but also can be used against India since we have Bangladeshi's who can lobby for us back in Britain.

Gripens would be a great game changer but again BAF dumped the option
WOW! Myanmar is a Chinese colony! So now can China ask the myanmar army to release Aung San Suu Kyi? Just like US demands that Myanmar accept Aung San Suu Kyi's rule?

WOW! Myanmar is a Chinese colony! So now can China ask the myanmar army to release Aung San Suu Kyi? Just like US demands that Myanmar accept Aung San Suu Kyi's rule?

Bruh come on , everyone knows Myanmar is supported by China and of coursed Myanmar in sanctioned by America.

China doesn't care much about Myanmar's democracy , the U.S also doesn't care much since they know Myanmar is siding with China.

During the Royhinga issue China supported Myanmar and the U.S supported Bangladesh sooo

Bruh come on , everyone knows Myanmar is supported by China and of coursed Myanmar in sanctioned by America.

China doesn't care much about Myanmar's democracy , the U.S also doesn't care much since they know Myanmar is siding with China.

During the Royhinga issue China supported Myanmar and the U.S supported Bangladesh sooo
Everyone knows? WOW!!! Now Myanmar and BD are the center of the world!
applause!!

Let me assume that if China does not want turmoil in BD. If China wants BD to maintain stable development. Can we think that Bangladesh is controlled by China? LOL!

You are wrong about one thing. We are very concerned about democracy. But the important premise of democracy is stability and development.

Aung San Suu Kyi is a hero of democracy. She accepted American support. US invested in her political activities. ~ so China has never interfered in Myanmar's internal affairs. But can you guarantee that you have not interfered in Myanmar's internal affairs? You're not insulting myanmar democracy?

LOL!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom